Amid Public Uproar, California Lawmaker Says Blocking Child Trafficking Law Was ‘Bad Decision’

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Assembly’s Public Safety Committee blocked the trafficking bill even as the state faces a rise in victims and a new film ‘Sound of Freedom’ spotlights the problem.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — On Tuesday, California Assembly member Liz Ortega, D-San Leandro, voted with other Democrats on the powerful Public Safety Committee to block a bill that would increase penalties for felony child sex-trafficking for repeat offenders.

Two days later, after a furor on Twitter and a public intervention by California Governor Gavin Newsom, the Public Safety Committee was forced to take up the trafficking bill for a second time, and this time its members, Ortega included, approved it.

“I made a bad decision,” Ortega tweeted July 13, after the bill moved on to the Appropriations Committee. “Voting against legislation targeting really bad people who traffic children was wrong. I regret doing that and I am going to help get this important legislation passed into law.”

The proposed legislation, California Senate Bill 14, would add the trafficking of a minor to the state’s controversial “Three Strikes” law, which stiffens penalties for repeat offenses of serious felonies. In specific cases, a third strike can result in a prison sentence of 25 years to life.

Continued below.