Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The fact that you actually believe this is the reason why we need better education in these matters.

I believe it because there's no evidence to the contrary. Show me the systemic racism still in place today. Every explanation is a given "situation" that doesn't apply to most black people and then there's a throwback example to some law that was repealed 50 years ago.

What you're calling education a lot of us would call false facts coupled with appeal to emotion fallacies that are truly nothing short of propaganda.

Honest question looking for an honest answer: Do you want a marxist government in America?

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe it because there's no evidence to the contrary. Show me the systemic racism still in place today. Every explanation is a given "situation" that doesn't apply to most black people and then there's a throwback example to some law that was repealed 50 years ago.

What you're calling education a lot of us would call false facts coupled with appeal to emotion fallacies that are truly nothing short of propaganda.

Stop-and-Frisk Data
Police stops are still marred by racial discrimination, new data shows.
Minorities Who 'Whiten' Job Resumes Get More Interviews
12 charts: Racial disparities persist across wealth, health and beyond

This stuff isn't hard to find. Of course coming up with every excuse possible to deny it is so common that I don't even know why I still bother.

Honest question looking for an honest answer: Do you want a marxist government in America?

And here we go with the red-baiting. It seems that 'Marxism' is the right wing's favorite scare word for 'anything I don't like'. I heard someone put it pretty well once:

Certain people apply the label of 'Marxism' to any policy they disagree with, and most of said policies are matters of basic human decency.

- Being against racism? Marxism!
- Gender equality? Marxism!
- Affordable health care? Marxism!
- Reasonable gun control measures? Marxism!
- LGBT rights? Marxism!
- Freedom of religion (including for non-Christians)? Marxism!
- Caring about the environment? Marxism!
- Not kicking puppies? Marxism!

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Texas Senate votes to nix teaching requirement calling white supremacy 'morally wrong'

I guess with all the brouhaha over CRT, we can't afford to expose our children to such a controversial idea...

Thoughts?

thanks for that link -- it shows that they include "logical fallacies ,and identifying propaganda ,as appropriate for the grade level" --- BUT WHERE is the section where they review the crimes of individuals segmented out race-by-race??? maybe a section titled "criminal acts -- by race", or "Racist acts of history, categorized by the race of the offender" -- Yeah - that part is missing. Who would have thought that part would be missing from a civics class??

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Stuff like that leaves out the details so to why those things are and one would need to be led, by hand and on assumption, to form the conclusion of systemic racism. Those need to be unpacked and stop confusing cause for effect and vice versa. Those sources do absolutely nothing to prove systemic racism, because you'd need to prove racist motive....it's just not there; no leaps to conclusions here.

And here we go with the red-baiting. It seems that 'Marxism' is the right wing's favorite scare word for 'anything I don't like'. I heard someone put it pretty well once:

BLM leaders have stated they themselves are marxists. Antifa waving communist flags.... It's not my word or imagery, but their own. I'm just observing the facts here.

Will you answer the question though? It's boolean.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Stuff like that leaves out the details so to why those things are and one would need to be led, by hand and on assumption, to form the conclusion of systemic racism. Those need to be unpacked and stop confusing cause for effect and vice versa. Those sources do absolutely nothing to prove systemic racism, because you'd need to prove racist motive....it's just not there; no leaps to conclusions here.

Exactly what I predicted, mental gymnastics to try to blame these consistent patterns on anything other than racism. Also, your claim about motive shows that you really don't understand what systemic racism is or how it works. Individuals with racist motives are not required. All that's required is that systems exist that have disproportionate effects on people by race, and people work within those systems and benefit from them without trying to understand why they work the way they do, or challenging them.

Not that there aren't actively, maliciously racist people with power in the US, but they are not the norm - I think we can both agree on that. Rather, it's the legacy of systems still in place that cause adverse outcomes for minorities, and denying that that exists is contributing to the problem.

Part of it is the simplistic, black-and-white idea that a person either is or isn't 'a racist'. Racism is a lot more insidious than that. You can have no racial animus at all, or even be a member of a minority, and still contribute to these systems that stack the deck against that minority without even realizing it.

Conservatives these days seem so obsessed with trying to avoid accusations of being racist that they try to deny that racism is even a problem, because they think that admitting it is would somehow incriminate them.

On the other hand, many people are perfectly comfortable saying 'I'm not racist, I don't have any animus against minorities, but I do realize that society in the US is structured in a way that benefits me more than blacks or Hispanics, and I want to raise awareness of the issue so something can be done to change that.'

BLM leaders have stated they themselves are marxists. Antifa waving communist flags.... It's not my word or imagery, but their own.

Are those specific people the topic of this thread? Then I really couldn't care less.

Will you answer the question though? It's boolean.

First define what you even mean by 'Marxist.' Did you know that Marx rejected the idea that arguments based on equality and justice were good reasons to establish or change a government? That's the exact opposite of what those in favor of social justice believe. That's just one of the many ways the modern right-wing misunderstands and misapplies the label of 'Marxism'.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I understand it's different everywhere - what I learned in history in Illinois is going to be different than what someone in Georgia learned. And what I learned going to a suburban school is going to be different from what someone learns in an inner city school. Still, having even one alternative view taught is better than having just one view period. So, yeah, different tribes will have different history but at least getting a guest speaker in will open up the idea to kids that there isn't just one view to history.
How about if the books that are written include influences from various perspectives?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you under the impression conservatives are okay with rape and murder?

Given the number of church people who’ve tried to cover up rape and sexual abuse, or the right’s general dismissal of the MeToo movement, that wouldn’t be an entirely unreasonable conclusion.

ETA: Jim Jordan & Matt Gaetz.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Given the number of church people who’ve tried to cover up rape and sexual abuse, or the right’s general dismissal of the MeToo movement, that wouldn’t be an entirely unreasonable conclusion.

ETA: Jim Jordan & Matt Gaetz.
How do you know those church people who tried to cover up rape and sexual abuse have political positions on the right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sodafox

Jun 17, 2021
Denver
✟18,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
How about if the books that are written include influences from various perspectives?
I'd also be in favor of multiple books per class. I know a lot of schools are going digital so that should be easy to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you under the impression conservatives are okay with rape and murder?
Asa long as it's the correct people, some are okie dokie with it.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What does that teaching entail? Do you really believe students of today need to be taught that racial supremacy is wrong? C'mon!
Sadly they need to be taught racial supremacy is wrong. And politicians on both sides need to stop pleasing the extreme left and right.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Gosh, people would actually have to think... Can't have that, can we?

BLM leaders have stated they themselves are marxists. Antifa waving communist flags.... It's not my word or imagery, but their own. I'm just observing the facts here.

Good -- it would be hypocritical to draw a conclusion... or to ask us to.

Upvote 0