Texas Senate drops "White Supremacy is bad" requirement from education bill

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps, but the same people who would have been temporarily placated by a name change would expect "equal representation" in the lessons.

And between displacing the Native Americans, Slavery, Segregation, Jim Crow, Internment camps, etc... there aren't enough counter-examples to go around.
Counter examples aren't necessary, just teach racial supremacy is wrong.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, hopefully, the Texas Senate only has authority over Texas.
What Texas has is a single school district and a large buying power for school books. If Texas or California don't want your books, you will not be making much.

So some school book publishers cater to Texas. And if they say they want something in their books, publishers will give it to them. And because it is expensive to make two versions of the book, the other states lose out on getting a say of what is in the schoolbooks.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Was it really going be 'white supremacy is bad', or really just 'white people are bad'?

It just provides the foundation for things like:

America is systemically racist
All white people are racist
PoC can't be racist
Defund the police
Equity over equality in hiring and education
hate speech should be illegal
etc etc

• Agree
Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

Sodafox

Jun 17, 2021
Denver
✟18,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I think it would be a mistake to assume all "white lenses" are the same, or that all Native, Black, and Mexican view points are the same.
I understand it's different everywhere - what I learned in history in Illinois is going to be different than what someone in Georgia learned. And what I learned going to a suburban school is going to be different from what someone learns in an inner city school. Still, having even one alternative view taught is better than having just one view period. So, yeah, different tribes will have different history but at least getting a guest speaker in will open up the idea to kids that there isn't just one view to history.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Change the word "white" to "racial" and I think that would have removed the bias and more people would be accepting of it.
White supremacy specifically was a central organizing feature of society in many states. Its effects and appeal did not just vanish overnight with the repeal of various laws.

I agree tho: the principle taught should be about rejecting racial supremacy, even as the history is one of white supremacy.

• Agree
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I learned from the same people who taught me that murder was bad, rape was bad, and countless other acts of evil are bad; I learned from my parents and society. Ya don't need a special course in school to learn these things.
Lucky you. Your parents could teach a few conservatives these things.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
White supremacy specifically was a central organizing feature of society in many states. Its effects and appeal did not just vanish overnight with the repeal of various laws.

I agree tho: the principle taught should be about rejecting racial supremacy, even as the history is one of white supremacy.

Agreed, but that institutionally ended in large part to the end of Jim Crow, yet remains in Affirmative Action practices.

The things that make white supremacy unfair and horrible is applicable to any sort of racial supremacy; but that's not the goal or the effort of CRT.

The result of CRT, in part, is a resurrection of segregation, but it's spun as being voluntary, yet enforced. See college and even high school segregated graduations, which started a few years back.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Was it really going be 'white supremacy is bad', or really just 'white people are bad'?

You can read the bill and see what has been struck out (p.6):

[(7)AAthe history of white supremacy, including but not limited to the institution of slavery, the eugenics movement, and the Ku Klux Klan, and the ways in which it is morally wrong;

• Informative
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You can read the bill and see what has been struck out (p.6):

[(7)AAthe history of white supremacy, including but not limited to the institution of slavery, the eugenics movement, and the Ku Klux Klan, and the ways in which it is morally wrong;

Jim Crow
Anti-miscegenation laws
Segregation
Redlining
FBIs investigations into MLK
LBJ's model cities impact
Effects of systemic welfare targeting on the black nuclear family
Effects of 1980s CIA involvement in the crack epidemic in the black community
Effects of sustained and systemic immigration on American employment

The list just keeps going.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,454.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I suspect it's closer to the "schools should just be teaching the facts and not moralizing" approach.

Of course, these are usually the same people who use the "schools have been going downhill since they kicked God out" approach, which leaves one to wonder what they ever expected Him to do in there...
I think that in the view of many people calling for more prayer in schools, the main job for God in schools would be to act as a magical lightning rod that prevents school shootings.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,304.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
So like have a Grand Dragon of the KKK come in to provide their interpretation, and then another month maybe a Nazi to talk about Hitler's accomplishments, that kind of thing?

I can see how that goes.

"Now now, let's look at the good things Hitler did. He got an awfully lot of medical research done without harming any animals."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I think that in the view of many people calling for more prayer in schools, the main job for God in schools would be to act as a magical lightning rod that prevents school shootings.

Considering how many maniacs have switched to shooting up churches, I'd say the plan isn't working.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Meaning that they are prohibiting CRT from school curriculum. You'd think that the Democrats would not want kids to learn about the origins of slavery, Jim Crow, and thr KKK.

And yet instead it's the GOP -- funny how that works, isn't it?

And it gets even funnier:

Texas Senate Votes to Remove Required Lessons on Civil Rights

The Texas Senate on Friday passed legislation that would end requirements that public schools include writings on women’s suffrage and the civil rights movement in social studies classes.

Among the figures whose works would be dropped: Susan B. Anthony, Cesar Chavez, and Martin Luther King Jr., whose “I Have a Dream"speech and “Letter from a Birmingham Jail” would no longer make the curriculum cut.

Why stop at CRT?

• Informative
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It just provides the foundation for things like:

America is systemically racist
All white people are racist
PoC can't be racist
Defund the police
Equity over equality in hiring and education
hate speech should be illegal
etc etc

As long as we're making lists of strawman distortions, it seems that what Texas schools really want to teach is:

- There is no racism against minorities in America
- The only real racism is against white people
- Blacks are worse off in America because they are less intelligent, more violent, and lazier than white people, not because of any kind of external factors
- The KKK and other such groups never existed (or, if they did exist, they weren't that bad)
- The Democratic and Republican parties have the exact same stances on racial issues that they did 150 years ago.
- Slavery wasn't that bad, the slaves were treated well and were happy
- It's perfectly okay to use the n word, and anyone who objects is just a triggered liberal
etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
As long as we're making lists of strawman distortions, it seems that what Texas schools really want to teach is:

- There is no racism against minorities in America
- The only real racism is against white people
- Blacks are worse off in America because they are less intelligent, more violent, and lazier than white people, not because of any kind of external factors
- The KKK and other such groups never existed (or, if they did exist, they weren't that bad)
- The Democratic and Republican parties have the exact same stances on racial issues that they did 150 years ago.
- Slavery wasn't that bad, the slaves were treated well and were happy
- It's perfectly okay to use the n word, and anyone who objects is just a triggered liberal
etc.

If I may clarify:

There is no systemic nor institutional racism left in America apart from Affirmative Action practices. There used to be though.

Racism is defined as discriminating against someone based on their race or ethnicity. Racism does NOT have to do with any "construct of power or privilege" as they're attempting to redefine the term.

This has absolutely nothing to do with race, and everything to do with culture. There are plenty of black people who are far more successful than white people or vice versa, because different individuals ascribe to different cultures. Individuals commit crimes, not entire racial groups.

Obviously the KKK existed and still does!

People had difference stances on racial issues then and now. Turning this into a partisan argument is disingenuous, because it doesn't belong in the classroom.

It's okay with many people if you are black and use the n-word, yes. I don't prefer to hear it at all. It's cringe no matter who's mouth it comes from.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If I may clarify:

There is no systemic nor institutional racism left in America apart from Affirmative Action practices. There used to be though.

The fact that you actually believe this is the reason why we need better education in these matters.

Upvote 0