Los Angeles Area
✟830,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Texas adopted standards in 2021 that requires eighth-graders be taught the basics about climate change

The 15-member board rejected seven out of 12 for eighth-graders. The approved textbooks are published by Savvas Learning Company, McGraw Hill, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Accelerate Learning and Summit K-12.

The rejected textbooks included climate-crisis policy solutions, and conservative board members criticized them for being too negative about fossil fuels – a major industry in the state.

“You want to see children smiling in oilfields?” said Democratic board member Aicha Davis. “I don’t know what you want.”

Also contested was the inclusion of lessons on evolution – the theory addressing the origins of human existence which the scientific community supports and [some] religious groups reject.

• Informative
Reactions: JustOneWay

Danny&Annie&theChristmas

Nov 11, 2023
Houston
✟2,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Texas adopted standards in 2021 that requires eighth-graders be taught the basics about climate change

The 15-member board rejected seven out of 12 for eighth-graders. The approved textbooks are published by Savvas Learning Company, McGraw Hill, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Accelerate Learning and Summit K-12.

The rejected textbooks included climate-crisis policy solutions, and conservative board members criticized them for being too negative about fossil fuels – a major industry in the state.

“You want to see children smiling in oilfields?” said Democratic board member Aicha Davis. “I don’t know what you want.”

Also contested was the inclusion of lessons on evolution – the theory addressing the origins of human existence which the scientific community supports and [some] religious groups reject.
I don't know if Texas was ever a state of individualism and individual rights, but I always thought it was in my youth. Today Texas is a state of corporate compliance and you'd better march to that tune or find yourself ushered to the sidelines or worse.....ushered out the door.

Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Really? I read the article. Did you?

There is a reason education in Texas is falling, and it is precisely because of reports like this one.
"The state ranks 41st out of 50 in the US for education." source please! Because I can provide several other sources that show texas as a middle-of-the-road school. Leftwing source

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Danny&Annie&theChristmas

Nov 11, 2023
Houston
✟2,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Texas is very good at presenting itself as a bastion of conservative constitutionalists while usurping individual freedoms to push corporate compliance.
Johnson & Johnson plans to try once again to file bankruptcy to avoid accountability for corporate murder. Guess where they plan to file....none other than Texas, the home of the Texas Two Step corporate bankruptcy maneuver to rid themselves of those pesky dying plaintiffs. Texas is a master at misrepresentation.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
"The state ranks 41st out of 50 in the US for education." source please! Because I can provide several other sources that show texas as a middle-of-the-road school. Leftwing source
If you had read the article in the OP link, that is the source. Nobody is preventing you from posting your own sources.

I even wrote "The last line pretty much says all that is needed to be said." Look at the last line.

Why don't republicans in Texas want children to know about global warming? Perhaps you should be concentrating on that instead of how bad Texas schools have become?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you had read the article in the OP link, that is the source. Nobody is preventing you from posting your own sources.

I even wrote "The last line pretty much says all that is needed to be said." Look at the last line.

Why don't republicans in Texas want children to know about global warming? Perhaps you should be concentrating on that instead of how bad Texas schools have become?
That is the problem you don't verify the information you read. You have been manipulated. Like Pommer said Texas ranked in education in the mid-30s and just happened to be ahead of California in all ranking. If one little statistic you posted is inaccurate then what about the rest, it's just propaganda.

In my teens, I grew up with the FEAR of global cooling and overpopulation, (the atomic bomb overshadowed both those issues, that was instant death), then in my 30s it became global warming, That is when I asked myself how could scientists get it so wrong, and then in my late 40s it became climate change. With the same fear for 50 years of my life. I have heard "wolf" cry one too many times.

I am a man who believes in what he does and not what he says. In my teens, I read about passive solar homes, and if the fear from Alarmists was true why didn't our government mandate that all homes be built this way? If today's scare was true why isn't the government mandating all vehicles to have 2 or 4 cylinders engines, do away with cell phones because data centers use a lot of energy, do away with private jets, mandate all homes to a certain square foot, and the list goes on if you're really concerned about the climate and are creative.

Thorium plants why not copy China? But we like uranium to build bombs.

The push for EVs is fine but you have to realize the amount of resources especially rare earth metals it takes to build one of these and the fossil fuels needed. Sadly we gutted our mining here in the US over environmental policies and are dependent on countries we are at war with.

Don't get me wrong the government is doing a lot by mandating efficiency standards but that comes with technology advances.

How is a carbon tax or credit going to save the planet besides making you and me poorer? They have already charged corporations carbon tax and it is passed down to the consumer.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,674.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The rationale behind carbon tax is that every family (by size) gets a certain carbon budget. Those who use less get rebates in the firm of dividends. Those who use more don't get them. A family that conserves can get hundreds of dollars more than the tax they've paid.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The rationale behind carbon tax is that every family (by size) gets a certain carbon budget. Those who use less get rebates in the firm of dividends. Those who use more don't get them. A family that conserves can get hundreds of dollars more than the tax they've paid.
I own solar panels and don't receive any benefits that you speak of.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I get that. But I pat them anyway for buying goods and services. The hidden tax.
The tax so well hidden its not even in the tax code.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
That is the problem you don't verify the information you read.

I did verify. Most sources say Texas is near the bottom of the list. Why does this bother you? Are you a Texan? Texas being a poor educational state really has nothing to do with actual climate change, but does show that they have no issue avoiding telling students that fossil fuels are not that bad to appease rich oil people in Texas.

You have been manipulated.

Manipulated? You don't know me but know I have been manipulated? LOL!
Like Pommer said Texas ranked in education in the mid-30s and just happened to be ahead of California in all ranking. If one little statistic you posted is inaccurate then what about the rest, it's just propaganda.
If it is inaccurate, then post what you believe is inaccurate. You made a big deal about sources, yet you have posted none.

In my teens, I grew up with the FEAR of global cooling and overpopulation, (the atomic bomb overshadowed both those issues, that was instant death), then in my 30s it became global warming, That is when I asked myself how could scientists get it so wrong, and then in my late 40s it became climate change. With the same fear for 50 years of my life. I have heard "wolf" cry one too many times.

I am a man who believes in what he does and not what he says. In my teens, I read about passive solar homes, and if the fear from Alarmists was true why didn't our government mandate that all homes be built this way? If today's scare was true why isn't the government mandating all vehicles to have 2 or 4 cylinders engines, do away with cell phones because data centers use a lot of energy, do away with private jets, mandate all homes to a certain square foot, and the list goes on if you're really concerned about the climate and are creative.

Thorium plants why not copy China? But we like uranium to build bombs.

The push for EVs is fine but you have to realize the amount of resources especially rare earth metals it takes to build one of these and the fossil fuels needed. Sadly we gutted our mining here in the US over environmental policies and are dependent on countries we are at war with.

Don't get me wrong the government is doing a lot by mandating efficiency standards but that comes with technology advances.

How is a carbon tax or credit going to save the planet besides making you and me poorer? They have already charged corporations carbon tax and it is passed down to the consumer.

Save the planet? LOL We can't save the planet. The planet will do just fine after we kill off ourselves.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics