LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
Out of interest, how many Texan textbooks actually have anything to do with Islam in the first place?

True, I was never a student in Texas, but I can't remember ever having a textbook that mentioned Islam in any fashion. Even the Cruades were only touched on lightly in history books.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Out of interest, how many Texan textbooks actually have anything to do with Islam in the first place?
I went to elementary school in Texas and I never was taught about Islam. I did however, have to participate in Christian led prayers in the classroom.

Upvote 0

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I suspect it wasn't by an educator who simply wanted you to understand Christianity, but one who expected you to embrace it.

I went to elementary school in Texas and I never was taught about Islam. I did however, have to participate in Christian led prayers in the classroom.

Upvote 0

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
Thats rather what I suspected. Reminds me of the poster a couple of weeks back who pulled her kids out of the local school for fear they would be told that terrorists are just "freedom fighters"... in a CHINESE LANGUAGE class.

Seriously, the chance of kids encountering sufficient positive descriptions of Islam to sway their opinions about that religion one way or another, in any given Texas textbook is probably only slightly better than my chance of being elected Pope of Mars.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
I suspect it wasn't by an educator who simply wanted you to understand Christianity, but one who expected you to embrace it.
Of course, which I never did embrace Christianity. It's meant to point out the futility people have, in saying that any religion other than Christianity is somehow being thrust upon children in schools.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Seriously, the chance of kids encountering sufficient positive descriptions of Islam to sway their opinions about that religion one way or another, in any given Texas textbook is probably only slightly better than my chance of being elected Pope of Mars.
If they were to possibly get a positive description of Islam at school, the Western media would make sure that image is destroyed real quick. Well in Texas, it would get destroyed by talking to the average Texan.

Upvote 0
P

Phinehas2

Hmmn, if the kids reaction is anything like the reaction on this thread the kids wont take any notice of whatever is written, they will merely go with what they feel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
Not as a True Christian(tm), who only has completly unenjoyable sex in the mission posession while ashamed.
Interestingly, the missionary position only became the churches position of choice relatively late. It was thought during the middle ages that good Christians had sex "as a stallion takes a mare", supposedly less intimate and less prone to lustful thoughts. Or soemthing. Church has some funny ideas about sex from time to time.

Upvote 0

soblessed53

Sep 4, 2005
North Central,OH.U.S.A.
✟19,666.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Let's see you are SUPPOSEDLY 33 years old,that means you were born 1977,right?

Classroom-led prayer was removed from public schools June 25,1962!

On what date was prayer taken out of US public schools?

Prayer in Public Schools and the Resulting Changes

Answers.com - When and by whom was prayer taken out of public schools

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gishin

Apr 25, 2008
Midwest City, Oklahoma
✟6,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Let's see you are SUPPOSEDLY 33 years old,that means you were born 1977,right?

Classroom-led prayer was removed from public schools June 25,1962!

On what date was prayer taken out of US public schools?

Prayer in Public Schools and the Resulting Changes

Answers.com - When and by whom was prayer taken out of public schools

It's nice that you can provide those links...

Now, can you provide proof that there weren't teachers who did what they wanted anyway?

I attended a home football game my freshman year where the school started off with a prayer. I'm 37 years old. I sure hope you're not gonna turn around and insinuate that I'm lying.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
It's nice that you can provide those links...

Now, can you provide proof that there weren't teachers who did what they wanted anyway?

I attended a home football game my freshman year where the school started off with a prayer. I'm 37 years old. I sure hope you're not gonna turn around and insinuate that I'm lying.

I find it interesting that where you lived, school prayer was banned, but you still had it. Where I went to school, prayer was (up until 1988) compulsory every day at schools. Along with a reading of scripture! Compulsory! (although students could be excused from participating with a parental note). The thing is, there is only one teacher I ever had who started the day with the Lord's Prayer. I remember it was only the one year because it seemed so weird to me; who's trespassing? I don't have any bread! So we had mandatory school prayer, but never really did it, and you had banned school prayer, but did it anyway.

An interesting juxtaposition of cultures.

Upvote 0