Texas City Pulls nativity, despite objections of atheists.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,263.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A little off topic, but I'm selling a new cutting edge phone app that wards off tiger attacks. Only $10.99. With the rise of tiger attacks you can hardly afford not to get it. Only works in the U.S., Canada and U.K. I only take major credit cards.

In the spirit of commercial Christmas, I'm selling my new book for only $10.99. A la Kwannza, it invents a Holy Day for atheists to actually wish each other, and so they don't have to feel like second-class citizens under the boot heel of Christian oppression. You're welcome.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Groups like ALF are far left wing, and they firebomb medical research facilities over things they don't like...however, it'd wouldn't be fair if someone were to try to give the impression of "well, that's liberals for you..." would it?

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Groups like ALF are far left wing, and they firebomb medical research facilities over things they don't like...however, it'd wouldn't be fair if someone were to try to give the impression of "well, that's liberals for you..." would it?

Who else would it be?

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
In the spirit of commercial Christmas, I'm selling my new book for only $10.99. A la Kwannza, it invents a Holy Day for atheists to actually wish each other, and so they don't have to feel like second-class citizens under the boot heel of Christian oppression. You're welcome.

That's an odd response...

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Who else would it be?

The point I was making was it's not fair to use the "worst" of a group to try to identify that group. Another poster in this thread pointed out that it's not fair to use this occurrence to act as if all conservatives ran around shooting holes in adopt a highway signs, and then pointed out that the liberals have their bad eggs too. Someone else replied back to them saying "such as?"...so I provided an example to illustrate that these guys don't represent conservatives just like the Animal Liberation Front doesn't represent liberals.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
The point I was making was it's not fair to use the "worst" of a group to try to identify that group. Another poster in this thread pointed out that it's not fair to use this occurrence to act as if all conservatives ran around shooting holes in adopt a highway signs, and then pointed out that the liberals have their bad eggs too. Someone else replied back to them saying "such as?"...so I provided an example to illustrate that these guys don't represent conservatives just like the Animal Liberation Front doesn't represent liberals.

I guess that's true. You'd never catch conservatives demonizing a political group, religious group, minority group or nationality based on just a few. It's foolish to even think such things.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess that's true. You'd never catch conservatives demonizing a political group, religious group, minority group or nationality based on just a few. It's foolish to even think such things.

There's certainly people on both side who do broad-brush like that quite a bit...I was pointing out that it's not fair when either side does it.

You can always find a lunatic in any ideology (whether it be political, religious, etc...), heck, there's people who have assaulted each other over sporting events.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Texas is great. It's where half my family is from, and I visit often, Dallas/Fort Worth, Amarillo, Seminole.

This is stupid though, if reported correctly. Happy Holidays isn't offensive, it's just generic. Last I checked, we have three federal holidays within about a month of each other, and half a dozen religious ones.

You get your wackos in all states.

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Texas is great. It's where half my family is from, and I visit often, Dallas/Fort Worth, Amarillo, Seminole.

This is stupid though, if reported correctly. Happy Holidays isn't offensive, it's just generic. Last I checked, we have three federal holidays within about a month of each other, and half a dozen religious ones.

Yeah, but there's a War on Christmas, and innocuous, secular phrases of greeting, that do no praise to the savior are the weapons.

http://www.christianforums.com/threads/the-war-on-happy-holidays-intensifies.7923644/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If not for the people, then for the sake of your lungs!

I just love the smell of boiled cabbage in the morning from the local chemical refineries.
No wonder your agnostic. And thanks for the info. We are moving to Texas, but I'll be sure to avoid Orange. it sounds crazy.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
No wonder your agnostic. And thanks for the info. We are moving to Texas, but I'll be sure to avoid Orange. it sounds crazy.

Basically avoid the whole Southeast corner of Texas :muahah:

Hope you have a happy move!

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

But everything is bigger in Texas.

:D

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Their fair share of using their guns to shoot signs put up by atheists in Texas? I think the Texas liberals are busy saving unicorns from leprechauns with their lightsabers.

I do remember hearing a story when I was in high school about Adopt-A-Highway signs being vandalized when the local Klan group decided to participate in the program...

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Because one city represents the whole state.
Actually it's not too far off. Let's take a look at a statewide political office holder who a majority of Texas voters put into office!
Texas Official 'Just Might Slap' Next Person Who Says 'Happy Holidays'
An elected official in Texas is threatening to slap anyone who wishes him "happy holidays" this year.

Republican Sid Miller, the state's agriculture commissioner, said on Facebook that people must say "Merry Christmas" to him or nothing at all.

"If one more person says Happy Holidays to me I just might slap them," Miller wrote. "Either tell me Merry Christmas or just don't say anything."

Upvote 0

s_gunter

Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Basically avoid the whole Southeast corner of Texas :muahah:

Hope you have a happy move!

*snicker Just avoid Beaumont and anything east of it. Even Texans say that we should just annex that section of the state to Louisiana... ;)

Upvote 0

s_gunter

Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But everything is bigger in Texas.

:D
Indeed. And due to the quality of that HUGE, smart-alecky (I really wanted to use a word that would trigger the censor... ;) ) comment, you'd fit in just fine in Texas. :D

Reactions: AirPo
Upvote 0

s_gunter

Contributor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
✟59,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Darn right nothing happened. They know better than to mess with.

And I bet that those who live in the central Texas (Waco/Temple/Killeen/surrounding smaller towns) area were laughing their butts off at the whole thing. Those cities are close to the largest military post in the world (Ft. Hood). Exercises such as Jade Helm 15 are conducted every single day around there. Lengthy convoys disrupting traffic (the convoy of military vehicles are only allowed to go 40-45 mph on all roads, including the Interstates for safety and cost reasons). It's not uncommon in that area to see military vehicles in civilian parking lots. Some of it is indeed part of military exercises, some times it really is just soldiers stopping for lunch. You should see it when the Texas National Guard comes in for their Annual Training. Central Texans know what the influx of military vehicles/personnel is -- just training. We know the hassle of these convoys just a way of life. However, it probably would give others in the state convulsions, since they're choosing to be ignorant for politically convenient reasons...

Reactions: stamperben
Upvote 0