Isaac Newton, the discoverer of gravity and the laws of motion, and Robert Boyle, the founder of chemistry, gave proof of God's certain existence.

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what superstition has to do with this all ? Or if it actually effects progress at all, or education, or freedom ?

Some aspects of religion are superstitious. What is superstition? It's the belief that an action or event can result in a specific outcome. Even though there is no consistent or objectively demonstrable link between the two. Example: Breaking a mirror will result in 7 years of bad luck. Other than having to buy a new mirror, there is no objective connection at all to having years of bad luck, So this is a superstitious belief. Now consider the notion that accepting Jesus as lord and savior will result in a blissful eternal afte life. And denying Jesus will result in eternal damnation after one's death. There is no way to consistently and objectively demonstrate that any kind of afterlife even exists. Let alone that it's related to one's attitude toward Jesus during one's lifetime. So the idea that Jesus is the ticket to everlasting salvation is a type of superstitious belief.

I think/believe honest skepticism and freethinking, unless these mean something other than I'm aware of, are good things and necessary when someone seeks truth.

I agree completely. Ingersoll--who I quoted--is an interesting character. He was born in New York state in the 1830s, the son of a Congregationalist preacher. His father's liberal and unorthodox views caused run-in with his parishioners. The family wound up in Illinois, where Robert studied law and was admitted to the bar. During the Civil War, he became a colonel for the Union and was captured at Shiloh. He was released pending a prisoner exchange. For a time, he was Illinois Attorney General, where he developed his gift for public speaking. Though initially against full rights for Black people, he became quite progressive in his older age, and outspokenly supported women's rights and racial desegregation. Which was quite radical in the 1890s. I have a copy of his biography, "American Infidel," by Orvin Larson. If you find it at a used book sale, it's worth reading.

American Infidel

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
God was an invention of the human intellect.
That is what they do. They use their imagination to create a god that they can then falsify the product of their imagination. The admit that they do not know God.

Reactions: ronlion
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Newton pondered what caused things to fall to earth.
Then Einstien come along and said they were pushed.
Maxwell did not invent
Edison invented almost everything. Then his buddy Ford invented the car and Firestone invented tires. The three men were close friends and often vacationed together, discussing their ideas and projects.
Every religion in the world has denounced every other religion as a fraud.
Another strawman . Religions do not denounce each other. They all believe in the golden rule and treating others the way you want them to treat you. Some call this Karma, or what goes around comes around.
The Bible is a very confusing book
Because you have to become as a child to understand.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,411.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Then Einstien come along and said they were pushed.

Edison invented almost everything. Then his buddy Ford invented the car and Firestone invented tires. The three men were close friends and often vacationed together, discussing their ideas and projects.

Another strawman . Religions do not denounce each other. They all believe in the golden rule and treating others the way you want them to treat you. Some call this Karma, or what goes around comes around.

Because you have to become as a child to understand.
Childish, to think there was a world
wide flood.
Or to think Henry Ford invented the car. :)

And very arrogant to think you have
the one true interpretation, out of the
thousands.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Childish, to think there was a world
wide flood.
Or to think Henry Ford invented the car. :)

And very arrogant to think you have
the one true interpretation, out of the
thousands.
Strike three and you are out. Nice try though.

Many times I have said that Noah's LITERAL flood was a local flood from our perspective.

When I say Ford invented the car, that was a short cut to save you from having to read a lot of words. Because I respect you and your time so I do not want to waste your time to give you a lot of unnecessary words to read. Ford invented the assembly line.

Henry Ford, the founder of the company, is also known for his many inventions that helped transform the automobile industry. Some of the notable inventions and innovations credited to Henry Ford and the Ford Motor Company include:

1. The Model T: The Model T was one of the first affordable cars to be produced on a mass scale, making automobile ownership accessible to middle-class Americans.
  2. The assembly line: Ford's innovative use of the assembly line allowed for the efficient production of automobiles, reducing the time it took to build a car from 12 hours to just 93 minutes.
  3. The V8 engine: In 1932, Ford introduced the world's first V8 engine, which helped set a new standard for power and performance in the automotive industry.
  4. Safety glass: Ford was also one of the first companies to use safety glass in automobile windshields, which helped reduce injuries in accidents.
  5. Fordson Tractor: Ford also developed and marketed the Fordson tractor, which was a low-cost, mass-produced tractor that helped revolutionize farming.
These are just a few of the many notable inventions and innovations that Henry Ford and the Ford Motor Company are known for.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
very arrogant to think
People are usually, actually people are always guilty of what they accuse others of. So be careful how you judge because chances are you are telling on yourself something I would not know about you if you did not tell me.

Anna Freud wrote extensively about projection as a psychological defense mechanism. Projection involves attributing one's own unacceptable or unwanted thoughts, feelings, or impulses to another person. Anna Freud noted that projection is a common defense mechanism in children, and that it can also be seen in adults.

According to Anna Freud, projection is a way for individuals to avoid confronting their own uncomfortable emotions or thoughts. By projecting these onto someone else, they can distance themselves from them and avoid taking responsibility for them. However, she also noted that projection can be damaging to relationships and can lead to misunderstandings and conflicts.

Anna Freud's work on projection has had a significant impact on the field of psychology and continues to be studied and discussed by scholars and practitioners today.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The LORD GOD ALMIGHTY isn't silent.

Well, why do people believe in so many different gods? Christians—in all their varying denominations—may be a plurality, but they don’t comprise a majority of the world’s religious believers. If there was really only one true god—who desired a relationship with mankind—why wouldn’t this god make his presence known clearly and unmistakably to every person on the planet? It makes no logical sense that one real God, would allow the worship of so many other gods.

BTW: Christians themselves don’t agree on God’s nature. Mormons believe the God of our planet was once a human being who was elevated to godhood and lives near a star they call Kolob. Unitarians believe God is one single entity—not 3 in one. Catholics believe Mary is nearly as divine as Jesus, and is revered and worshipped as such. Why would God tolerate all this doctrinal confusion?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ronlion

Dec 23, 2013
✟47,801.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've read your OP up, down, and sideways, and I have yet to see any place where you state where this proof actually is...
Thanks for the reply Mikha'el. It seems that someone else from a galaxy far far away is also perplexed about my post. This is an actual recent photo from the James WEBB telescope with a mysterious ' question mark" in the center.
1691032909094.png

[image: NASA,ESA -Joseph Depasquale]

The proofs are in the sources such as Sir Isaac Newton's great work Principia (1687) ,which birthed modern science and mentions both the Bible and gives evidence for God.

Though I do need to make a correction for the source article I gave for Robert Boyle's evidence for God in my original post. It was not written by Boyle himself but actually came from the famous " Boyle Lectures/Sermons" which Boyle had decreed in his will to show the relationship between Christianity and natural philosophy(science).

Robert Boyle's own books are given below.

-Robert Boyle , the first modern chemist, showed through his scientific discoveries made by conducting incredible experiments-leading to his "Mechanical Philosophy " :

that nature/ the universe was like a clock which demanded a Clockmaker, which to Boyle was the
Christian God, the Trinity.
Robert Boyle espoused his worldview in many published works, including in
his book:
Christian Virtuoso.

- Edward B. Davis explains Boyle's evidence in his article: Robert Boyle, the Bible and Natural Philosophy[science]:
"For Boyle, then, a rational explanation of the world must include the activity of Anaxagoras’ noûs, or mind. The clockwork universe requires a clockmaker, without which its intricate, interconnected mechanisms would not exist and could not function. Surely, they could not have assembled themselves by chance. Any other view was irrational. This is the final reason why Boyle accepted and promoted the mechanical philosophy: it gave us a powerful, seemingly irrefutable argument for a Creator from the self-evident design of the machines he had made. Yet, mere intellectual assent to God’s existence was not enough. As he (Boyle) said in A Disquisition([discussion] about the Final Causes of Natural Things (1688), he especially desired “that my Reader should not barely observe the Wisdom of God, but be in some measure Affectively Convinc’d of it”. Affectively, not effectively, was the adverb deliberately chosen. Boyle’s version of the mechanical philosophy demonstrated not only “the Greatness of God’s Power” evident from the Cartesian version, but also his wisdom and goodness. In that way, Boyle believed, “Men may be brought, … both to acknowledge God, to admire Him, and to thank Him” (Works, 11: 145 and 95). The simple admission of God “may keep a man from being a downright atheist, yet it will not ordinarily suffice to make him a pious man”, and he wanted to live in a world inhabited by pious men and women. Nevertheless, one’s “piety, as well as his other virtues, will usually be proportionate to the firmness of the assent he gives to that fundamental article of religion, that there is a Divine Maker and Ruler of the world” ( [Boyle] -Works, 12: 483).

Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,411.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks for the reply Mikha'el. It seems that someone else from a galaxy far far away is also perplexed about my post. This is an actual recent photo from the James WEBB telescope with a mysterious ' question mark" in the center.
View attachment 334123

[image: NASA,ESA -Joseph Depasquale]

The proofs are in the sources such as Sir Isaac Newton's great work Principia (1687) ,which birthed modern science and mentions both the Bible and gives evidence for God.

Though I do need to make a correction for the source article I gave for Robert Boyle's evidence for God in my original post. It was not written by Boyle himself but actually came from the famous " Boyle Lectures/Sermons" which Boyle had decreed in his will to show the relationship between Christianity and natural philosophy(science).

Robert Boyle's own books are given below.

-Robert Boyle , the first modern chemist, showed through his scientific discoveries made by conducting incredible experiments-leading to his "Mechanical Philosophy " :

that nature/ the universe was like a clock which demanded a Clockmaker, which to Boyle was the
Christian God, the Trinity.
Robert Boyle espoused his worldview in many published works, including in
his book:
Christian Virtuoso.

- Edward B. Davis explains Boyle's evidence in his article: Robert Boyle, the Bible and Natural Philosophy[science]:
"For Boyle, then, a rational explanation of the world must include the activity of Anaxagoras’ noûs, or mind. The clockwork universe requires a clockmaker, without which its intricate, interconnected mechanisms would not exist and could not function. Surely, they could not have assembled themselves by chance. Any other view was irrational. This is the final reason why Boyle accepted and promoted the mechanical philosophy: it gave us a powerful, seemingly irrefutable argument for a Creator from the self-evident design of the machines he had made. Yet, mere intellectual assent to God’s existence was not enough. As he (Boyle) said in A Disquisition([discussion] about the Final Causes of Natural Things (1688), he especially desired “that my Reader should not barely observe the Wisdom of God, but be in some measure Affectively Convinc’d of it”. Affectively, not effectively, was the adverb deliberately chosen. Boyle’s version of the mechanical philosophy demonstrated not only “the Greatness of God’s Power” evident from the Cartesian version, but also his wisdom and goodness. In that way, Boyle believed, “Men may be brought, … both to acknowledge God, to admire Him, and to thank Him” (Works, 11: 145 and 95). The simple admission of God “may keep a man from being a downright atheist, yet it will not ordinarily suffice to make him a pious man”, and he wanted to live in a world inhabited by pious men and women. Nevertheless, one’s “piety, as well as his other virtues, will usually be proportionate to the firmness of the assent he gives to that fundamental article of religion, that there is a Divine Maker and Ruler of the world” ( [Boyle] -Works, 12: 483).
Do you think that he or anyone else has proved the
existence of any god?

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟128,242.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, why do people believe in so many different gods? Christians—in all their varying denominations—may be a plurality, but they don’t comprise a majority of the world’s religious believers. If there was really only one true god—who desired a relationship with mankind—why wouldn’t this god make his presence known clearly and unmistakably to every person on the planet? It makes no logical sense that one real God, would allow the worship of so many other gods.

BTW: Christians themselves don’t agree on God’s nature. Mormons believe the God of our planet was once a human being who was elevated to godhood and lives near a star they call Kolob. Unitarians believe God is one single entity—not 3 in one. Catholics believe Mary is nearly as divine as Jesus, and is revered and worshipped as such. Why would God tolerate all this doctrinal confusion?
The answer to your question is found in Romans 1:
Claiming to be wise, they became fools, 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.

24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever!

There are a variety of beliefs because God gave men over to the sinful desire of their hearts, which is to deny God. And so many false beliefs have sprung up, with men creating idols that resemble glorified man rather than the true God.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟70,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I was told by a professor of an humanities course I was taking as an elective, that God was an invention of the human intellect
People that do not know the God of the Bible still have a concept of a God they do not believe in. I also do not believe in the God they do not believe in. The idea that the God they do not believe in is an invention of the human intellect is as good of an explanation as any. Although the Bible suggests that infidels have a reprobate mind. So we need to introduce them to the God of the Bible and we need to show them what it means to have the mind of Christ. I attended a Church where the pastor preached 360 sermons on the Mind of Christ. He had 360 scriptures that was a focus on understanding the Mind of Christ. I took notes and I keep thinking I should go back and read over the notes sometime.

Upvote 0