Texas City Pulls nativity, despite objections of atheists.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
A little off topic, but I'm selling a new cutting edge phone app that wards off tiger attacks. Only $10.99 and you are guaranteed not to be mauled by a tiger while it is properly installed on your mobile device. With the rise of tiger attacks you can hardly afford not to get it. Only works in the U.S., Canada and U.K. I only take major credit cards. Available on apple and android. Panther ward coming soon.

Does it work on King Ranch in Texas?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,918.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
*snicker Just avoid Beaumont and anything east of it. Even Texans say that we should just annex that section of the state to Louisiana... ;)

If not for the oil over there: :)

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
*snicker Just avoid Beaumont and anything east of it. Even Texans say that we should just annex that section of the state to Louisiana... ;)

Right on the money, lol.

I may even go a far as to say anything to the east of Houston, although counties around Houston can be just as nuts.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In the spirit of commercial Christmas, I'm selling my new book for only $10.99. A la Kwannza, it invents a Holy Day for atheists to actually wish each other, and so they don't have to feel like second-class citizens under the boot heel of Christian oppression. You're welcome.

We already have one and it dates back to the Physics department at Oxy from 70s if not before.

April 30th. Gaussday!

Unlike the Christians we got the date right.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Actually it's not too far off. Let's take a look at a statewide political office holder who a majority of Texas voters put into office!
Texas Official 'Just Might Slap' Next Person Who Says 'Happy Holidays'
An elected official in Texas is threatening to slap anyone who wishes him "happy holidays" this year.

Republican Sid Miller, the state's agriculture commissioner, said on Facebook that people must say "Merry Christmas" to him or nothing at all.

"If one more person says Happy Holidays to me I just might slap them," Miller wrote. "Either tell me Merry Christmas or just don't say anything."

Those darn liberals and their demands for PC treatment

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,918.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
FYI all ya'll haters - it's an absolutely true fact that more music and songs have been written about Texas and regions of Texas than about anything else except love itself. This is obviously because the visionaries among humanity, the artists and poets, are finely tuned to perceive true splendor and glory. And if that's not a true fact it should be.

Even Christopher Hitchens liked Texas and he didn't like anything.

Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
FYI all ya'll haters - it's an absolutely true fact that more music and songs have been written about Texas and regions of Texas than about anything else except love itself. This is obviously because the visionaries among humanity, the artists and poets, are finely tuned to perceive true splendor and glory. And if that's not a true fact it should be.

Even Christopher Hitchens liked Texas and he didn't like anything.
But did he live here?

Upvote 0

AnonymousRain

Dec 5, 2015
London
✟15,965.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I'd say the atheists there knew the odd's of the council doing this very thing. After all, atheists don't recognize the holiday in any way shape or form. They had no legitimate point in asking for 'equal space' to wish happy holiday when December 25th is the holiday space designated for the Christian religious.

It's just a shame that the council didn't refuse and keep the nativity as it was. Atheism isn't a religion. It has no right to invoke religious rights here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'd say the atheists there knew the odd's of the council doing this very thing. After all, atheists don't recognize the holiday in any way shape or form. They had no legitimate point in asking for 'equal space' to wish happy holiday when December 25th is the holiday space designated for the Christian religious.

It's just a shame that the council didn't refuse and keep the nativity as it was. Atheism isn't a religion. It has no right to invoke religious rights here.

The supreme court feels otherwise.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

stamperben

It's an old family tradition
Oct 16, 2011
✟53,694.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private

Growing up as an atheist I can tell you that we celebrated Christmas every year. Sang the carols that hailed the king, knew who it was in the manger and even told all we came across "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Holidays". So yah, atheists DO celebrate and recognize the holiday. That these in Texas want to put up a Happy Holiday sign along with the city's nativity has nothing to do with not recognizing what Christmas is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,135.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

4877509+_7df7f162418a6135549bb8389669d73e.jpg

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The links to Left-wing extremists definitely have their places.

However, the actions taken here are not from Left-wing groups. Neither were the actions taken on the signs that I posted (which were responded to with the comment about Right-wing Christians).

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
After all, atheists don't recognize the holiday in any way shape or form.
I'd say they recognize the secular side of Christmas. You know, the part about exchanging gifts and spending time with family. The part everyone celebrates in the US?... I don't see why someone would need to believe in Christ to exchange gifts with loved ones.
They had no legitimate point in asking for 'equal space' to wish happy holiday when December 25th is the holiday space designated for the Christian religious.
Uh.. that's ridiculous. Do you think atheists are completely surrounded by other atheists and not one single Christian? Obviously not... they celebrate Christmas because their families probably do. To think they have to accept Christ to celebrate a commercial holiday is just plain silly.

Actually atheists enjoy religious protections just like the religious do. Our disbelief is just as valid as your belief in Christ according to the government.

Reactions: KitKatMatt
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I see nothing wrong will Happy Holiday. Also some Christians don't celebrate Jesus Bday on Xmas. Some celebrate it on April 6. Some on n new year day. I've always celebrated the Santa Claus version of Xmas, when I was a kid, with my grand parents. My mom taught me there was no such thing as Santa. And Xmas was just a pagan holiday. Grown up I just decorate for Xmas and don't really celebrate it. I see no reason Texas couldn't have do Happy Holidays and the nativity nonsense.

Upvote 0