Texas City Pulls nativity, despite objections of atheists.

AnonymousRain

Dec 5, 2015
London
✟15,965.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
The supreme court feels otherwise.
I'm aware of the SCOTUS decision.
However, if an atheist argues theirs is a religion they've forever forgone the right to argue they don't follow a faith as an atheist.

The atheists had no right in this pursuit. It's just a shame that this Texas council didn't stand stronger than they did. All this does is give the anti-theist movement inspiration for next year. If one county , city, town, will cave, such people can imagine others shall too.
Where's the rights of the religious to have honored the day they hold sacred?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,782.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We are still testing the app's functionality in those scenarios.

You're supposed to fully test the app before release. I read your post yesterday, bought the app and today I was viciously mauled at a Vegas show. You'll be hearing from my lawyers.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You're supposed to fully test the app before release. I read your post yesterday, bought the app and today I was visciously mauled at a Vegas show. You'll be hearing from my lawyers.

You didn't read the EULA before clicking "Install" did you? Not only can you not sue per the contract but all instances of mauling must be vetted by a special team of circus clowns hired at the venders discretion to determine if this was a "true" mauling.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,782.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
You didn't read the EULA before clicking "Install" did you? Not only can you not sue per the contract but all instances of mauling must be vetted by a special team of circus clowns hired at the venders discretion to determine if this was a "true" mauling.

EULA, huh? Let me take a look. Hmm, says here I've also agreed to participate in something called a "human centipede", whatever that is. Hold on, someone's knocking at the door...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
EULA, huh? Let me take a look. Hmm, says here I've also agreed to participate in something called a "human centipede", whatever that is. Hold on, someone's knocking at the door...

RRRUUNN!!

6007605393_cb36f06e3c.jpg

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

You have every right to set up displays to honor whatever day you want on your own property. When you put up a display on property owned by the public, the public all has equal rights to do so, including atheists who want to tell people happy holidays.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm aware of the SCOTUS decision.
However, if an atheist argues theirs is a religion they've forever forgone the right to argue they don't follow a faith as an atheist.

The atheists had no right in this pursuit. It's just a shame that this Texas council didn't stand stronger than they did. All this does is give the anti-theist movement inspiration for next year. If one county , city, town, will cave, such people can imagine others shall too.

Whomever wants to display nativity scenes on their private property, are welcome to do so and many do.

Upvote 0

AnonymousRain

Dec 5, 2015
London
✟15,965.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Whomever wants to display nativity scenes on their private property, are welcome to do so and many do.
But otherwise they'll be harassed by those who don't believe in a god. Or who will argue for equal space so they can put up a vacant icon that demonstrates nothing in order to be considered equally entitled as non-believers.

Towns and cities across the nation demonstrate on occasion that they will display a nativity when they feel like they want to. And even on government property.
That's religious freedom. Because such a display is not making a compact or law that turns America into a theocracy. Separation of church and state is not repealed by those who embrace faith as members of state.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AnonymousRain

Dec 5, 2015
London
✟15,965.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
You have every right to set up displays to honor whatever day you want on your own property. When you put up a display on property owned by the public, the public all has equal rights to do so, including atheists who want to tell people happy holidays.
What holiday? Atheists don't recognize any of the holidays being celebrated. Not Christmas. Not Hanukkah, and not winter solstice, which is pagan and deifies the sun god.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What holiday? Atheists don't recognize any of the holidays being celebrated. Not Christmas. Not Hanukkah, and not winter solstice, which is pagan and deifies the sun god.

I think you missed the part where many Atheists actually do celebrate Christmas, just maybe not the same way you do - meaning, in some way, shape or form. It's JW's that aren't supposed to celebrate Christmas.

However, none of that prevents us from being nice people and wanting to wish that other people enjoy their holidays.

Upvote 0

Cute Tink

Blah
Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Towns and cities across the nation demonstrate on occasion that they will display a nativity when they feel like they want to. And even on government property.
That's religious freedom. Because such a display is not making a compact or law that turns America into a theocracy. Separation of church and state is not repealed by those who embrace faith as members of state.

If the government refuses to allow any group other than Christians to display their celebratory items, then that's not religious freedom, but religious exclusion.

Reactions: stamperben
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As atheists, they could celebrate all of those holidays or none of them if they so choose.

I must have missed the memo that says I can't exchange gifts and spend time with my family on Dec. 25 because I don't believe in Christ.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But otherwise they'll be harassed by those who don't believe in a god. Or who will argue for equal space so they can put up a vacant icon that demonstrates nothing in order to be considered equally entitled as non-believers.

Are religious displays required to be on public property for someone to celebrate Christmas?

You say your are a "humanist"?

Upvote 0