Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Tesla’s solar roof to cost less than a regular roof – even before energy production, says Elon Musk

Isn't Solar City the company Obama was railed for investing into? Even though that investment is but a drop in the pan of the numerous benefit O&G have received?

Yeah....it must have been a real scam/dud investment to have some loser, go nowhere Company like Tesla wanting to merge with you.

Sorry troglodytes, slowly but surely, solar energy is going to end up in your life.

And as a sidenote:

Who here is seriously considering getting these on their roof? Less than a conventional roof?
Geez....even if it was the same price, I'd get them in.....and I just had my roof done about 2 years ago!

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Tesla’s solar roof to cost less than a regular roof – even before energy production, says Elon Musk

Isn't Solar City the company Obama was railed for investing into? Even though that investment is but a drop in the pan of the numerous benefit O&G have received?

Yeah....it must have been a real scam/dud investment to have some loser, go nowhere Company like Tesla wanting to merge with you.

Sorry troglodytes, slowly but surely, solar energy is going to end up in your life.

And as a sidenote:

Who here is seriously considering getting these on their roof? Less than a conventional roof?
Geez....even if it was the same price, I'd get them in.....and I just had my roof done about 2 years ago!
I think that is awesome, is it legit...? Do you think cause it cost less, that they start putting these in new homes they build...?

That would be awesome if they did...?

Are there any negatives to it...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The roofing? Yes.
They were saying when they were first unveiled (a few months ago), with the power that they generate over their lifetimes, they would be MUCH cheaper. Now, they are going to be cheaper to make off the top.

They are MUCH stronger and durable than you may think. I would STRONGLY recommend doing a search on this if you are interested. I'd wager it'll be quite widely available with 7 years for sure.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The roofing? Yes.
They were saying when they were first unveiled (a few months ago), with the power that they generate over their lifetimes, they would be MUCH cheaper. Now, they are going to be cheaper to make off the top.

They are MUCH stronger and durable than you may think. I would STRONGLY recommend doing a search on this if you are interested. I'd wager it'll be quite widely available with 7 years for sure.
Awesome, thanks, I will, I am interested in it very much, thanks for the info...

God Bless!

• Friendly
Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
WHOA!!!!
Back up my bus! I apologize! I just noticed the date on that article and I did a search. It appears other sites have a much MORe realistic picture.
Here's How Much Tesla's New Solar Roof Could Cost
[one thing about this cost comparison that I find a bit disingenuous is that they only compared the "cost per kilowatt hour". What I ACTUALLY use is only about 30-40% of my bill; the rest is delivery and systems charges. Imagine if one can get off of that?]

Don't get me wrong...still AWESOME!....But sadly, not NEARLY as affordable as I had thought.

It's a little embarrassing but I'm not gonna hide behind it. I'll just own the mistake. Because I still find it impressive; and, if you are willing to make an investment, it'll be economical in the long run.

Dang reading!

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
... with the power that they generate over their lifetimes, they would be MUCH cheaper. Now, they are going to be cheaper to make off the top.....

Not so fast...

the statement “less than the price of a regular roof when accounting for energy generation” makes me cringe. That is how the marketing guys hide the real costs and get into voodoo math to make it "seem" cheaper.

Also, I suspect that government subsidies factor into the savings.

Lastly, it doesn't include repair costs. When your normal roof leaks, it costs anywhere from a few hundred to maybe $1000-ish to fix. Then this roof starts leaking or having problems, what is the repair on that going to be? Instead of roofers now you are talking roofers + electricians.

Overall, I'm not saying that a solar roof is bad. I'm just saying that the marketing guys almost always lie with these claims. You assume "price A" for electricity then assume "Price B" for the energy produced by solar (which they will always pick the optimal theoretical values) then amortize that over 50, 60, 70 years... and viola, WOW, the savings are huge and pay for themselves...

All of the above "neglects" maintenance and upkeep and problems etc.

Don't mean to bleep on your parade, it's just that Solar is a bone of contention with me. It is a pipe dream they have been repackaging over and over and over again since the 70s. There is very little that is new or revolutionary about solar technology today vs 30 years ago.

If we truly want clean efficient energy, we need to go nuclear.

Imo, the best thing for the environment would be for Solar to disappear. Solar is a red herring that has been keeping us from going nuclear for decades. It is the shiny distraction they hold up to the public so that we don't talk about the tremendous progresses and advances made in nuclear energy.

WHOA!!!!
Back up my bus! ....Don't get me wrong...still AWESOME!....But sadly, not NEARLY as affordable as I had thought.... It's a little embarrassing but I'm not gonna hide behind it. I'll just own the mistake. Because I still find it impressive; and, if you are willing to make an investment, it'll be economical in the long run.

yeah, I posted right after you posted this partial retraction. If you can afford it, meh, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...

but as a former scientist I just can't stand how the world has been duped by Solar. They trout out Solar every few years and pitch it as the end all be all of renewable energy and that an awesome advance is "just around the corner" and we've been "on the verge" for decades... So it is a pet peeve of mine. It does have "limited" application and some places are better than others (i.e. around the equator / deserts). Otherwise, meh....

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
One of the better things to happen in a very long time whether people know it yet or not.

Elon Musk is the bomb and it's nice to have more billionaires being responsible and bettering the world we live in not just now but for future generations.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
WHOA!!!!
Back up my bus! I apologize! I just noticed the date on that article and I did a search. It appears other sites have a much MORe realistic picture.
Here's How Much Tesla's New Solar Roof Could Cost
[one thing about this cost comparison that I find a bit disingenuous is that they only compared the "cost per kilowatt hour". What I ACTUALLY use is only about 30-40% of my bill; the rest is delivery and systems charges. Imagine if one can get off of that?]

Don't get me wrong...still AWESOME!....But sadly, not NEARLY as affordable as I had thought.

It's a little embarrassing but I'm not gonna hide behind it. I'll just own the mistake. Because I still find it impressive; and, if you are willing to make an investment, it'll be economical in the long run.

Dang reading!

It will get cheaper. Tesla cars will also be a lot cheaper. It's just going to take time as is the case with any newer technologies that aren't as heavily invested in like the fossil fuels are.

Electricity is the long overdue future we can't get to soon enough. Greed has been the only thing holding us back.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Electricity is the long overdue future we can't get to soon enough. Greed has been the only thing holding us back.

Sadly, that's all it takes to hold us back.

Upvote 0