Teenage girl given 3-year sentence in death of boyfriend shot by police

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Teenage girl given 3-year sentence in death of boyfriend shot by police
A Columbus teen who helped to set up a fake online advertisement that resulted in her 16-year-old boyfriend being shot and killed by police was sentenced Friday to spend three years in juvenile detention.

Masonique Saunders, 17, had entered admissions in Franklin County Juvenile Court in May to counts of involuntary manslaughter and aggravated robbery in relation to the shooting of her boyfriend, 16-year-old Julius Tate, by police on Dec. 7, 2018.

D.A. Wright

Stealth Defender Of Holy Writ
Site Supporter
Jul 18, 2019
Central PA
✟53,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The article is not readable without setting up an account.
Pardon me, please. I can be a bit dense at times.
Is there a specific aspect of this news item we should be noticing, and commenting on?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,352.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Apparently her and her boyfriend set up fake ads to get people to go meet them to buy a product, and then her boyfriend would rob them.

Some quotes from the article:

She also admitted to an additional charge of aggravated robbery for a November 2018 incident in which a woman was pistol-whipped in front of her child.

Saunders was not armed or with Tate when the robbery took place, but she admitted to setting it up on her cellphone, as well as about 15 other, similar robberies. Saunders also shared the profits of the robberies with Tate.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Looks like she got a decent plea deal.
Well, obviously. Either you take a plea deal or they throw the book at you. tThat's how the american justice system works, doesn't it? Either plead guilty and do a backroom deal or get punished for insisiting on a trial.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, obviously. Either you take a plea deal or they throw the book at you. tThat's how the american justice system works, doesn't it? Either plead guilty and do a backroom deal or get punished for insisiting on a trial.
No it does not.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
No it does not.
It appears to work that way to me, though. Read of a few examples of people insisting on a trial and getting punished heavily for it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Well let's see...

She was caught at the scene of an attempted robbery of an undercover officer with her hoodlum boyfriend. He pulled a pistol on the UC and got killed for it. She had a gun on her and posted the bogus online advert.

The presence of the UC and the advert most likely means these two have been pulling guns on several people and making off with their cash. There's probably evidence of at least one past robbery. It's a pretty typical scam...place online ad selling something for hundreds or thousands....meet victim somewhere public but remote....then rob them. A victim probably went to the police.

She was facing charges as an adult....got them dropped down to 3 years as a minor? She helped her boyfriend get killed and she's been robbing people at gunpoint....3 years is a great outcome for her all things considered. Her chosen path tends to leave people bleeding out in a gutter somewhere...or in jail for decades.

I'd call her Mark Cuban for making that deal.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
COLUMBUS (WCMH) — Masonique Saunders was sentenced Friday for her part in a robbery that left 16-year-old Julius Tate, Jr. dead.
In May, Saunders agreed to plead guilty to an involuntary manslaughter charge as well as an aggravated robbery charge as part of a plea deal that kept her case from being bound over to adult court.
Police originally charged Saunders with murder after they say she was involved in an officer-involved shooting that Tate, Jr. in December of 2018.
According to court documents, Saunders had a handgun during her role in the robbery of a police officer. Police say an undercover officer posed as a potential buyer and met with a suspect, who turned out to be Tate. Another police officer shot and killed Tate after police say he pointed a gun at the undercover officer.
Teenager Masonique Saunders sentenced for part in death of Julius Tate, Jr.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,720.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Well let's see...

She was caught at the scene of an attempted robbery of an undercover officer with her hoodlum boyfriend. He pulled a pistol on the UC and got killed for it. She had a gun on her and posted the bogus online advert.

The presence of the UC and the advert most likely means these two have been pulling guns on several people and making off with their cash. There's probably evidence of at least one past robbery. It's a pretty typical scam...place online ad selling something for hundreds or thousands....meet victim somewhere public but remote....then rob them. A victim probably went to the police.

She was facing charges as an adult....got them dropped down to 3 years as a minor? She helped her boyfriend get killed and she's been robbing people at gunpoint....3 years is a great outcome for her all things considered. Her chosen path tends to leave people bleeding out in a gutter somewhere...or in jail for decades.

I'd call her Mark Cuban for making that deal.
I think you misunderstood me.

I really do think she deserves more time than 3 years for what she did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think you misunderstood me.

I really do think she deserves more time than 3 years for what she did.

Ahhh....ok. I try not to judge. She may have been very cooperative, very remorseful, and the prosecution decided to go easy. It happens.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,326.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The title is very misleading. It should say "Teenage girl only given 3-year sentence for aggravated robbery that left boyfriend dead." This is clearly an attempt to victimize the teenage girl for her poor decisions while simultaneously attack law enforcement by propagating the whole "police brutality" narrative.
Was her boyfriend shot by police? Yes. Was she sentenced for his death? Also yes.

• Useful
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0