16-year-old nonbinary student laid to rest after death following beating in girls bathroom in Owasso, OK

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
So what was this person’s birth sex? A couple of women beat up a “non-binary” male for attempting to use the girl’s bathroom?
Exactly right. He should have used a gender neutral bathroom. What happened was beyond tragic

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,032.00
Faith
Atheist
Exactly right. He should have used a gender neutral bathroom. What happened was beyond tragic
They were in the bathroom of their assigned sex per OK law: Death of Nex Benedict - Wikipedia

If you are consistent, you should refer to her as "she".

ETA: Here it is from a conservative source: ‘The New York Times’ implausibly implicates Oklahoma's bathroom law in the death of a nonbinary student

Nex, whose given name was Dagny, was biologically female, and the fight happened in a girls' bathroom, where Nex and another student reportedly were assaulted by "three older female students." Although Nex apparently was bullied for identifying as nonbinary, it looks like the location of the fight was incidental.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟204,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you to everyone for answering my question. While I would concede that question was somewhat loaded, I don’t think murder is an acceptable response to a male intruder in the woman’s bathroom, unless something else more nefarious was going on.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
They were in the bathroom of their assigned sex per OK law: Death of Nex Benedict - Wikipedia

If you are consistent, you should refer to her as "she".

ETA: Here it is from a conservative source: ‘The New York Times’ implausibly implicates Oklahoma's bathroom law in the death of a nonbinary student

Nex, whose given name was Dagny, was biologically female, and the fight happened in a girls' bathroom, where Nex and another student reportedly were assaulted by "three older female students." Although Nex apparently was bullied for identifying as nonbinary, it looks like the location of the fight was incidental.
She was a female? She. Very sad.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Thank you to everyone for answering my question. While I would concede that question was somewhat loaded, I don’t think murder is an acceptable response to a male intruder in the woman’s bathroom, unless something else more nefarious was going on.
There was no "intruder" anywhere in this case, except the three bullies who beat the victim.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Further (not very neutral) reporting, including some new releases from the police.

Bodycam video appears to confirm that Nex admitted they initiated things with a water bottle.
Based on that, the officer cautioned the mom that filing a police report might not be the best choice.

[On the 911 call the following day] Sue Benedict describes Nex as “posturing” with their eyes rolled back, and breathing strangely.

Possibly the most interesting thing is that the police spokesman "said the medical examiner did not explicitly tell him that Nex "did not die from something as a result of that fight." But that's how Boatman interpreted the medical examiner's comments."

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
WaPo takes a more neutral look at some of the same info as above.

Police videos posted in investigation into Okla. nonbinary teen’s death

In the 911 call after Nex collapsed, their grandmother said Nex’s breathing was shallow and that the 16-year-old’s eyes were rolling back and hands were curled. [IANA doctor, but this could be decorticate/decerebrate posturing] She said her grandchild did not use illegal drugs.

“I hope this ain’t from [Nex’s] head,” Sue Benedict told the emergency dispatcher.

While a search warrant indicated that police initially sought evidence of felony murder, the department said in a statement this week that “preliminary information from the medical examiner’s office is that a complete autopsy was performed and indicated that the decedent did not die as a result of trauma.”

Police Lt. Nick Boatman did not return messages Friday about the statement [See in the previous post that Boatman allegedly told someone else that the police statement was based on his interpretation of what the ME said.]

[Sue Benedict] picked Nex up from school, then went to a hospital for an MRI given the facial bruises and scratches she saw.

[In the first 911 call from the hospital calling the police] “I’m furious that the school just kind of said, ‘Come get your kid,’” said Benedict, who was Nex’s legal guardian.

[Police officer] Thompson said that police could charge the girls with assault and battery but warned that Nex also could be charged for having “essentially started” the fight by throwing water. “That still does not give them a right to put their hands on you. They’re just as guilty as you are,” he said.

[Benedict] insisted Thompson follow up with administrators about why they didn’t alert police. “They are in the wrong for that,” Benedict said

“Any criminal-type action — the school is supposed to give us a call,” he said. “And I’m not trying to make excuses for them, but [stuff happens] ... But the fact of the matter is, they dropped the ball on this one of not notifying me right away.”"

• Informative
Reactions: MotoToTheMax
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Federal probe to look into Okla. school’s actions before teen’s death

The U.S. Department of Education is investigating alleged discrimination and sex-based harassment at a public high school in Oklahoma where a 16-year-old nonbinary student was injured in a bathroom fight last month — collapsing and dying the following day.

The federal agency’s investigation was triggered by a complaint last week from Human Rights Campaign, a national LGBTQ+ advocacy group.

A statement from the school district late Friday said it is “committed to cooperating with federal officials and believes the complaint submitted by HRC is not supported by the facts and is without merit.”

The Washington Post has requested Nex’s autopsy report and preliminary findings from Oklahoma’s chief medical examiner, who has yet to release them and did not respond to an inquiry Friday.

Owasso Police Lt. Nick Boatman did not return messages Friday.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Nex Benedict: Oklahoma teenager died by suicide, autopsy says

The cause of death was revealed in a partial autopsy report released on Wednesday by Oklahoma's chief medical examiner.

The medical examiner said Nex had died from taking a combination of medications.

On Wednesday, police said they had suspected suicide throughout the course of their investigation but had waited for the autopsy report to make a definitive statement.

A complete autopsy will be released in 10 days.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They can't do it. It is contrary to the most deeply held values of their religion.

Which religion and which values are you specifically referring to?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Nex Benedict: Oklahoma teenager died by suicide, autopsy says

The cause of death was revealed in a partial autopsy report released on Wednesday by Oklahoma's chief medical examiner.

The medical examiner said Nex had died from taking a combination of medications.

On Wednesday, police said they had suspected suicide throughout the course of their investigation but had waited for the autopsy report to make a definitive statement.

A complete autopsy will be released in 10 days.
How very sad.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think he was being bitterly ironic.

Sure. That could be the case ... but where you see irony, I see insinuation and sarcasm. But, sometimes I'm wrong about my evaluations of what other people mean when they say what they say.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure. That could be the case ... but where you see irony, I see insinuation and sarcasm.
Okay, it's up for interpretation.
But, sometimes I'm wrong about my evaluations of what other people mean when they say what they say.
I have that problem, too, sometimes of figuring out what people mean when they say what they mean. Some folk are generous in explaining; others not at all.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, it's up for interpretation.

I have that problem, too, sometimes of figuring out what people mean when they say what they mean. Some folk are generous in explaining; others not at all.

This is true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Sure. That could be the case ... but where you see irony, I see insinuation and sarcasm. But, sometimes I'm wrong about my evaluations of what other people mean when they say what they say.

Isn't sarcasm just a specific form of irony?

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
One thing that seems to be the invisible elephant in the room is the assumption that this person wasn't beaten to death in the girl's bathroom BECAUSE of being what people are referring to as "non binary".
People get beaten to death for other reasons as well.
It shouldn't be automatically assumed that if someone is an LGBT, then anything bad that happens to them must be because of that.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One thing that seems to be the invisible elephant in the room is the assumption that this person wasn't beaten to death in the girl's bathroom BECAUSE of being what people are referring to as "non binary".
People get beaten to death for other reasons as well.
It shouldn't be automatically assumed that if someone is an LGBT, then anything bad that happens to them must be because of that.
They weren't beaten to death at all; just beaten into submission. They apparently killed themself. The beating didn't happen in a vacuum but as part of a history of harassment.

Side note: An elephant in the room is a metaphor for something that cannot be ignored because of its relative huge size to the space of a room. A pink elephant is a hallucination caused by alcohol poisoning. A white elephant is an item that no one really wants because it is expensive to keep and extremely inconvenient to own.

What to make of an invisible elephant in a room? You could ignore it because you can't see it but if it has any physical presence, then you couldn't ignore it because you would bump into it, smell it and hear it. I don't know what to make of your metaphor.

Further digression: Remember elephant jokes? How do elephants get in trees? Sit on an acorn and wait.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It might seem so, but these terms aren't exactly lying on a continuum of synonyms. So, no.

So, isn't "They can't do it. It is contrary to the most deeply held values of their religion." ironic because of the expectation that "religious values" might be assumed to include "...teaching kids to be respectful and polite" to people such as Nex Benedict rather than proscribed? At the same time, there is undeniably a bit of gentle mockery there.

Upvote 0