16-year-old nonbinary student laid to rest after death following beating in girls bathroom in Owasso, OK

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Here are two of the more neutral/careful articles about the situation.

16-year-old Owasso student laid to rest after unexpected death

*There are conflicting comments on Benedict's gender identity and pronouns. Out of respect for the victim, 2 News avoided gendered language outside of quotes from friends and family. The full name, Dagny Benedict, is being used limitedly because that's how the family and obituary identified the victim.*

The Owasso Police Department said they were called to Bailey Medical Center by the teenager's parent on Feb. 7 around 3 p.m. When officers arrived, Benedict's parent told them their child was involved in a fight at the school, according to police. OPD said no fight was reported to them before the teen's parent told them.

2 News got the tip about the fight from a woman who claimed to be the mother of the victim's best friend. We spoke with her on Feb. 9.

"I think complications from brain trauma, head trauma, is what caused it," she said.

The woman said three older girls were beating the victim and her daughter in the girl's bathroom.

"I know at one point, one of the girls was pretty much repeatedly beating her head across the floor," she said.

That's when she said a teacher walked in and broke it up.

Update: Owasso police interviewing school staff, students regarding local teen’s death

Owasso police say they are interviewing school staff and students regarding the recent death of a local student who reportedly identified as nonbinary.

After consulting with investigators, the district released information about the incident, including that all involved walked under their own power to the nurse's office and assistant principal's office. Through district protocol, it was determined an ambulance was not required; however, it was recommended that one of those involved seek further medical care.

Last edited:

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Questions: What kind of school 'district protocol' simultaneously says "you should seek medical care" after an assault on our property while we are in loco parentis, but

1) "we're not helping with that"
2) "we're not calling the cops"

• Wow
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Sue Benedict, the mother of Nex Benedict, said the family is expecting a report from the medical examiner to learn more about how Nex died. In a short interview with Public Radio Tulsa, Sue Benedict said that Nex collapsed at home after seeking medical attention for injuries sustained in a fight at school on Feb. 7, but that she is not certain yet how much that altercation contributed to Nex’s death.

Nex was often the target of bullies, Benedict said. The family was still learning about Nex’s nonbinary identity and sometimes called them by their birth name Dagny at home. Benedict said the family is facing harassment and mounting misinformation as they try to cope with their grief.

Police emphasized that misinformation about the case is swirling and that an investigation is ongoing.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
These stories are so darn sad. And this violence is a chilling effect of all the anti LGBTQ legislation Oklahoma has been zealous to pass recently I believe.

Oklahoma has one openly non-binary state lawmaker and they were censured already and removed from committee assignments. I'm glad I already made the decision never to visit Oklahoma again. Over one traffic stop that resulted in many rights violations (mine!) and zero tickets given. They don't treat us long haired folks very well either. They are not people I with whom I want to spend my remaining time. It's stressful enough having to visit relatives in Indiana. People are downright hateful nowadays.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟204,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
So what was this person’s birth sex? A couple of women beat up a “non-binary” male for attempting to use the girl’s bathroom?

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
  • Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So what was this person’s birth sex? A couple of women beat up a “non-binary” male for attempting to use the girl’s bathroom?
This person doesn't look like a threat to women. And seems to have feminine looks. Unless this person is using male blockers. Since this person was non binary. I doubt this person would be using blockers. This person can be a female. But if this person use a male bathroom. This person could have got worse abuse. This is a non win issue. Unless we make bathroom, and area for LGBT people. It would also be a better idea to start teaching kids to be respectful and polite, when they start school. Because parents are failing in this area.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The GoFundMe described the kid as a daughter and used the birth name. The mother then apologized for not using their preferred name and gender.

So I presume Nex was listed as female on their birth certificate.

Other stories have noted that:

Under a law signed two years ago by Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt, students can only use public school bathrooms that correspond with the gender designation on their birth certificate.

That is why on Feb. 7, Nex Benedict, a non-binary, gender-fluid 16-year-old sophomore at Owasso High School, was in the girls’ bathroom with another student, who is trans.

So Nex was in the 'legal' bathroom. But it's not clear to me whether Nex's trans companion was obeying the law or flouting it. Neither case calls for an assault, obviously.

• Informative
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here are two of the more neutral/careful articles about the situation.

16-year-old Owasso student laid to rest after unexpected death

*There are conflicting comments on Benedict's gender identity and pronouns. Out of respect for the victim, 2 News avoided gendered language outside of quotes from friends and family. The full name, Dagny Benedict, is being used limitedly because that's how the family and obituary identified the victim.*

The Owasso Police Department said they were called to Bailey Medical Center by the teenager's parent on Feb. 7 around 3 p.m. When officers arrived, Benedict's parent told them their child was involved in a fight at the school, according to police. OPD said no fight was reported to them before the teen's parent told them.

2 News got the tip about the fight from a woman who claimed to be the mother of the victim's best friend. We spoke with her on Feb. 9.

"I think complications from brain trauma, head trauma, is what caused it," she said.

The woman said three older girls were beating the victim and her daughter in the girl's bathroom.

"I know at one point, one of the girls was pretty much repeatedly beating her head across the floor," she said.

That's when she said a teacher walked in and broke it up.

Update: Owasso police interviewing school staff, students regarding local teen’s death

Owasso police say they are interviewing school staff and students regarding the recent death of a local student who reportedly identified as nonbinary.

After consulting with investigators, the district released information about the incident, including that all involved walked under their own power to the nurse's office and assistant principal's office. Through district protocol, it was determined an ambulance was not required; however, it was recommended that one of those involved seek further medical care.
That's the tragic outcome, that a student died. What is the precipitating factor that instigated this incident, I'm wondering.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That's the tragic outcome, that a student died. What is the precipitating factor that instigated this incident, I'm wondering.
Apparently that "LibsOfTicToc" lady went after this school in particular not too far back.

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Apparently that "LibsOfTicToc" lady went after this school in particular not too far back.
I mean what happened that caused a fight that caused a death. Short on details.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Would that make this killing okay for you?

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
This person doesn't look like a threat to women. And seems to have feminine looks. Unless this person is using male blockers. Since this person was non binary. I doubt this person would be using blockers. This person can be a female. But if this person use a male bathroom. This person could have got worse abuse. This is a non win issue. Unless we make bathroom, and area for LGBT people. It would also be a better idea to start teaching kids to be respectful and polite, when they start school. Because parents are failing in this area.
They can't do it. It is contrary to the most deeply held values of their religion.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't matter. There's nothing that makes what happened OK. A vulnerable young person was beaten to death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Family member shares messages sent by 16-year-old Owasso student day before death

A family member gave FOX23 the screenshot and permission to share it. It shows messages they said Benedict sent to them on the night of the fight.

It shows Benedict messaged saying "I got jumped at school 3 on 1 had to go to the ER".

After being asked if they're OK, it shows Benedict replying that they were all good but with some scrapes and bruises. Benedict also said "If I'm dizzy or nauseous in the morning I might have a concussion".

Benedict is then asked "Why did they jump you?"

Benedict’s reply said "They had been bullying me and my friends and I got tired of it so I poured some water on them and all 3 came after me" and goes on to say the "School did not report to the police".

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sue Benedict, the mother of Nex Benedict, said the family is expecting a report from the medical examiner to learn more about how Nex died. In a short interview with Public Radio Tulsa, Sue Benedict said that Nex collapsed at home after seeking medical attention for injuries sustained in a fight at school on Feb. 7, but that she is not certain yet how much that altercation contributed to Nex’s death.

Nex was often the target of bullies, Benedict said. The family was still learning about Nex’s nonbinary identity and sometimes called them by their birth name Dagny at home. Benedict said the family is facing harassment and mounting misinformation as they try to cope with their grief.

Police emphasized that misinformation about the case is swirling and that an investigation is ongoing.

1708560295291.jpeg

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟458,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Would that make this killing okay for you?
Actually, the ME and police say that the fight is unrelated to the death.

Owasso Police said their investigation revealed the death of 16-year-old Nex Benedict was not related to trauma after the physical altercation at the school.
In an updated statement on Wednesday, police said the initial report from the Medical Examiner indicates that Benedict "did not die as a result of trauma."
"While the investigation continues into the altercation. Preliminary information from the medical examiner’s office is that a complete autopsy was performed and indicated that the decedent did not die as a result of trauma. At this time, any further comments on the cause of death are currently pending until toxicology results and other ancillary testing results are received. The official autopsy report will be available at a later date" - Owasso Police

'Did Not Die As A Result Of Trauma': Owasso Police Detail Nex Benedict's Death, Family Issues New Statement

Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0