Not open for further replies.

SearchingStudent

Apr 29, 2012
✟16,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe that the elderly should be the ONLY ones to federal assistance. and yes this DOES include disability like I am on. The ONLY people who should get government funds (not applying to those that work FOR the government) Those that receive disability food stamps government housing ONLY if you are at LEAST 65 should you get social security or any other such program.

So...get off the dole and start paying in. And, explain to a hungry child that they get to starve to death because you don't think it's "right" for them to eat. What about all the babies that will be born because your ilk would deny birth-control? What about after they're born? Are they less after birth? They have needs. Unfortunately, people mess up and create little humans they have no resources to care for. You'd rather see them starve and die?

What wonderful Christian "compassion". Give me a break.

Upvote 0

LostFarmer

what ever
Mar 1, 2012
EARTH
✟61,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One can not pass there Christian requirement off to the government by telling them to tax,tax,tax some one else. Telling the government to do what is required of you, is not Christian at all, it is just self righteousness.

You Obama supporters are alway saying keep church and state separate, but then you say tax the other person to do the Christian thing in helping the poor. Sounds like a hypocrite to me, most or all of us are at some point .

Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

One can not pass there Christian requirement off to the government by telling them to tax,tax,tax some one else. Telling the government to do what is required of you, is not Christian at all, it is just self righteousness.
yeah, I heard that line before. And the ones usually saying it are against SSM and want their Christian values enforced by the gov. :doh:

You Obama supporters are alway saying keep church and state separate, but then you say tax the other person to do the Christian thing in helping the poor. Sounds like a hypocrite to me, most or all of us are at some point .
No, not a hypocrite. But Yes, I'm one of those Obama supporters who says support, enhance, strengthen, social safety net programs to include ObamaCare and many others. For one reason that is what Jesus taught, and for another, I'm American and can vote as I want.

I am not one of those Christians who beg, plead, or support government to build new weapon systems, wage wars, curry to the wealthy or corporations. Maybe that is who your hypocrites are.

Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

I believe that the elderly should be the ONLY ones to federal assistance. and yes this DOES include disability like I am on. The ONLY people who should get government funds (not applying to those that work FOR the government) Those that receive disability food stamps government housing ONLY if you are at LEAST 65 should you get social security or any other such program.
What, you still on the gov. dole? Thought by now you would be off of it the way you speak. So, what are you waiting for? I just bet the government didn't come to you and force you to take their money and benefits, so get off of it.
Your 21, so in 45 years reapply. It will still be there.

Upvote 0

SearchingStudent

Apr 29, 2012
✟16,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well, maybe if these christians would OPEN THEIR WALLETS we wouldn't need the gov't to step in...but the xtians are too busy thumbing their noses at the homeless, the minorities, the drug addicted, the ones who didn't have a chance from jump.

We've opened our home to unwed moms, single moms trying to escape a bad situation, loaned money, given clothes, loaned vehicles to people who needed a hand. At one point there were 11 people living in my house. I was only related to 3 of them. We had the room, so we opened our home. Loaned my truck to an aquaintance who had fallen down on their luck and needed wheels to get back and forth to work. I think it was over 3 months.

So...while I think that xtians ought to step up, I don't see many of 'em doing it. You beat down the gov't programs and would rather see people starve on the streets than open YOUR home and YOUR wallet. Put your money where your mouth is. I challenge you to give away 20% of your resources. Take a couple of bags of groceries to a senior in your neighborhood. Go fix someone's car. Then come back and talk to me.

Upvote 0

SearchingStudent

Apr 29, 2012
✟16,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not one of those Christians who beg, plead, or support government to build new weapon systems, wage wars, curry to the wealthy or corporations. Maybe that is who your hypocrites are.

And this is why I refused to go back to working for defense contractors. Couldn't deal with the idea that I was helping to design and build weapons that would kill, maim and destroy. At least what I'm doing now is no longer dependent on defense contracts (oh and it pays better!)

Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

Well, maybe if these christians would OPEN THEIR WALLETS we wouldn't need the gov't to step in...but the xtians are too busy thumbing their noses at the homeless, the minorities, the drug addicted, the ones who didn't have a chance from jump.

We've opened our home to unwed moms, single moms trying to escape a bad situation, loaned money, given clothes, loaned vehicles to people who needed a hand. At one point there were 11 people living in my house. I was only related to 3 of them. We had the room, so we opened our home. Loaned my truck to an aquaintance who had fallen down on their luck and needed wheels to get back and forth to work. I think it was over 3 months.

So...while I think that xtians ought to step up, I don't see many of 'em doing it. You beat down the gov't programs and would rather see people starve on the streets than open YOUR home and YOUR wallet. Put your money where your mouth is. I challenge you to give away 20% of your resources. Take a couple of bags of groceries to a senior in your neighborhood. Go fix someone's car. Then come back and talk to me.
A wonderful story you shared, God bless you and yours for the commitment and selfless acts.
True, that is so true today, myself included, haven't stopped to help anyone in a long time. Of course, I have trust issues but that is no excuse, many other avenues to offer help are available. Thank you for reminding me of humility, a valuable lesson.

Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

And this is why I refused to go back to working for defense contractors. Couldn't deal with the idea that I was helping to design and build weapons that would kill, maim and destroy. At least what I'm doing now is no longer dependent on defense contracts (oh and it pays better!)
Good for you. Not everyone considers the moral implication of the work they choose to do.
I could only hope that the green-energy companies were viable and equaled the defense contractors in jobs and products. (If not green-energy then some other American made product that benefits consumer and earth.) just sayin'

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

so you force it on people by a tax let people do it themselves. As I said I help, matter of a fact last week I donated money to someone so she could go spread the gospel in Africa. I have offered to pay for drinks (non-alcoholic) and food more than once. Would more if I could. I cannot loan someone a car I do not have, nor can I have house them if I am not paying the house payment. HOWEVER, my family has opened their house before. Oh and loaning money is not really Christian. I mean we can, but what does loan imply?

Upvote 0

SearchingStudent

Apr 29, 2012
✟16,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Africa? In Africa? Really? What about the single mom down the street? And loans are fine, its INTEREST that's the no-no (yeah, I read the OT). Go sit with a senior for awhile. GET OFF THE DOLE boy! I've heard your excuses, they're BOGUS! You said your parents MADE you do it...you're over 18, you could say no.

People WILL NOT donate. That is exactly why the taxes are needed. Most folks are too busy protecting what is theirs to worry about what someone else doesn't have.

There's plenty of opportunity to spread the Gospel right in your hometown. Be Christ's arms and legs. Show HIS love to the people around you...not in flipping Africa. Go volunteer in a senior center, a school, a shelter. Give away 20% of your resources, time, talent AND treasure. Live on less.

Now that we've moved, we've been able to cut our expenses to where we can live quite comfortably on HALF our income. 10% goes to our church, 10% goes to community programs. Then...if and where there's a need we can fill, we can do that too. I still have a nice house (not as big as our old house), still have my nice cars, still have a full pantry...BUT...I am more able to bless others. And, as certain other debts get paid off, our giving will increase. Our goal is 30% of our income to others, on top of our taxes. Praise God for the opportunities!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In Africa? In Africa? Really? What about the single mom down the street? And loans are fine, its INTEREST that's the no-no (yeah, I read the OT). Go sit with a senior for awhile. GET OFF THE DOLE boy! I've heard your excuses, they're BOGUS! You said your parents MADE you do it...you're over 18, you could say no.

People WILL NOT donate. That is exactly why the taxes are needed. Most folks are too busy protecting what is theirs to worry about what someone else doesn't have.

There's plenty of opportunity to spread the Gospel right in your hometown. Be Christ's arms and legs. Show HIS love to the people around you...not in flipping Africa. Go volunteer in a senior center, a school, a shelter. Give away 20% of your resources, time, talent AND treasure. Live on less.

Now that we've moved, we've been able to cut our expenses to where we can live quite comfortably on HALF our income. 10% goes to our church, 10% goes to community programs. Then...if and where there's a need we can fill, we can do that too. I still have a nice house (not as big as our old house), still have my nice cars, still have a full pantry...BUT...I am more able to bless others. And, as certain other debts get paid off, our giving will increase. Our goal is 30% of our income to others, on top of our taxes. Praise God for the opportunities!
I didn't say I would NOT help locals. Actually, I am hoping to work in the project near the school this year for my practicum (that IS local) The problem is I need someone to drive me. I cannot drive myself, but other than that. Oh and yes I could refuse it if I wanted dad to try to make me a ward. The new Testament says if you loan money exspecting it back what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. This is Jesus

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SearchingStudent

Apr 29, 2012
✟16,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ahh...what you fail to understand my young padawan is that sometimes gifts are called "loans" to keep the other one's pride intact. I never said the loans had been repaid, did I? No, I didn't. You assumed!

Regarding "driving", ever heard of a bus pass? Or heaven forbid your own 2 feet? A practicum? That's a requirement. Go donate time, talent and treasure of your own volition...not a practicum. Quit whining about needing someone to drive you. I'll tell you the same thing I told my youngest when he whined that he couldn't get a job b/c he didn't have a car. God gave you 2 feet and a brain. Figure out what you have to do then go do it. Nobody is gonna hold your hand. Your whining about needing help just shows your hypocricy.

If you want to invest in others, figure out how to do it then go do it. There are plenty of people in your own back yard that need help. Go find a few and help. That's it. So simple.

So...your "opinions" as one who is living at home, has thousands of excuses, and won't do a thing without whining that you "need" someone's help, are going to be given all the consideration they deserve...

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ahh...what you fail to understand my young padawan is that sometimes gifts are called "loans" to keep the other one's pride intact. I never said the loans had been repaid, did I? No, I didn't. You assumed!

Regarding "driving", ever heard of a bus pass? Or heaven forbid your own 2 feet? A practicum? That's a requirement. Go donate time, talent and treasure of your own volition...not a practicum. Quit whining about needing someone to drive you. I'll tell you the same thing I told my youngest when he whined that he couldn't get a job b/c he didn't have a car. God gave you 2 feet and a brain. Figure out what you have to do then go do it. Nobody is gonna hold your hand. Your whining about needing help just shows your hypocricy.

If you want to invest in others, figure out how to do it then go do it. There are plenty of people in your own back yard that need help. Go find a few and help. That's it. So simple.

So...your "opinions" as one who is living at home, has thousands of excuses, and won't do a thing without whining that you "need" someone's help, are going to be given all the consideration they deserve...
It is a requirement up to a certain point, however I do not HAVE to do that particular practicum, nor do I even HAVE to be in school. Also, practicum as it relates to the requirement is an hour long a week. However, we are welcome to stay past that time or come early if we so choose. For example, last year (both semesters) my practicum was at a church from 6:30PM-7:30PM yet it was a RARE week I did not show up by 6:15 and leave before 7:45. I was also known for staying during breaks to do my practicum (even though both my practicum supervisor and instructor knew when those breaks were and I was not REQUIRED to show up that week. As for the bus passes no that will NOT work we are in a rural area with no public transportation ( except the school buses for secondary school students. While you did not say the loans had to be paid back that is the meaning of the word loan if you mean a gift say a gift. What do you want me to do walk out of the house.

Upvote 0

SearchingStudent

Apr 29, 2012
✟16,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you mean what you say, pack your stuff and git. I'm supposed to applaud you for showing up 15 minutes early and staying 15 minutes late ONE DAY A WEEK? Please. Sorry honey, you're not impressing me here.

How about working with an inner city ministry for a few months? Go see where the money you would deny is going. Go see the children that benefit from the food stamps and free lunches. Go talk to the teachers who will tell you about children so poor that they do not have proper clothes or supplies for school. Children who go to bed hungry every single night, who don't eat all weekend. Go see the babies that are born healthy because their mothers got medical care through medicaid.

You're as bad as the rest of them. You talk a lot but won't do a darn thing. You're part of the problem and refuse to be part of the solution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
L

Lovely Lane

It is a requirement up to a certain point, however I do not HAVE to do that particular practicum, nor do I even HAVE to be in school. Also, practicum as it relates to the requirement is an hour long a week. However, we are welcome to stay past that time or come early if we so choose. For example, last year (both semesters) my practicum was at a church from 6:30PM-7:30PM yet it was a RARE week I did not show up by 6:15 and leave before 7:45. I was also known for staying during breaks to do my practicum (even though both my practicum supervisor and instructor knew when those breaks were and I was not REQUIRED to show up that week. As for the bus passes no that will NOT work we are in a rural area with no public transportation ( except the school buses for secondary school students. While you did not say the loans had to be paid back that is the meaning of the word loan if you mean a gift say a gift. What do you want me to do walk out of the house.
Walk out of the house is your decision and you need to answer that. But why be so judgmental on others in the same situation and they are not living at home.
You want to remove medical benefits and all other forms of gov. assistance from them but maintain yours. You must not have much experience in the real world in meeting bills with little or nothing coming in.
If I may suggest in learning what others must go through before speaking in taking away something that they need. You know, walk a couple of miles in their shoes (figure of speech), and tell me what you seen.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
If you mean what you say, pack your stuff and git. I'm supposed to applaud you for showing up 15 minutes early and staying 15 minutes late ONE DAY A WEEK? Please. Sorry honey, you're not impressing me here.

How about working with an inner city ministry for a few months? Go see where the money you would deny is going. Go see the children that benefit from the food stamps and free lunches. Go talk to the teachers who will tell you about children so poor that they do not have proper clothes or supplies for school. Children who go to bed hungry every single night, who don't eat all weekend. Go see the babies that are born healthy because their mothers got medical care through medicaid.

You're as bad as the rest of them. You talk a lot but won't do a darn thing. You're part of the problem and refuse to be part of the solution.
Yes I have worked with an inner-city ministry and even when I did not actually go out Only so many people can go. I would make sandwiches and donate money/cakes and even socks to that ministry. I know that not all of them are there through fault of their own. I talked to one woman who had lost her job couldn't pay rent and was evicted NO fault of her own. I met another man who was placed in jail for something he did NOT do came out homeless NO fault of his own. I also know (be it indirectly) about the children. My practicum supervisor's wife is a teacher at the local school where it seems that some children parents may have the clothes BUT REFUSE to wash them (third graders) I have seen a few children at the inner-city ministry as well.

Upvote 0

SearchingStudent

Apr 29, 2012
✟16,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again...you would deprive others of what you're getting. Yes, some children have to deal with neglectful parents. You'd remove any safety net at all from them.

One more time...PUT YOUR TIME, TALENT AND TREASURE where your mouth is. You're no better than the whiners on either side of the aisle. Grow up, leave mommy and daddy and stand on your own two feet. You strike me as a spoiled little boy who has no gumption to stand up to the 'rents and make it on your own. Don't tell me about your medical problems. I've known plenty in much worse shape medically who work, drive or arrange transportation on their own, give back to the community and are givers not takers. One in particular has a seizure disorder and was housebound for quite some time. He's now a pastor with a ministry to others with medical conditions that leave them housebound. He takes the bus, visits the people, does what he can to help them, prays for and with them. Even on meds, he's pretty fragile medically. He could sit on his duff and collect SSI, but he doesn't. I have another friend who is an achrondroplastic dwarf with osteogenesis imperfecta. He worked for the city for 30 years, has 3 college degrees and teaches photography classes to other physically challenged folks. Yet another is paralyzed from the waist down, is married with 3 kids, hunts, fishes and works with vets who were paralyzed in the war and helps them regain some sense of independence.

So...whine all you want...lemme get you some cheese.

Upvote 0

LostFarmer

what ever
Mar 1, 2012
EARTH
✟61,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, not a hypocrite. But Yes, I'm one of those Obama supporters who says support, enhance, strengthen, social safety net programs to include ObamaCare and many others. For one reason that is what Jesus taught, and for another, I'm American and can vote as I want.

Yes you can vote for who ever you want to.

Jesus DID NOT teach that government should tax it's people to help the poor, that is the job for each individual to do via the church.

Helping the poor via government is the way the god of this world wants it done.

The poor will end up getting the shaft.

SearchingStudent--
The amount that I do or do not do to help the poor is non of any one's business. It is between myself and God, I do not need your or any one's thanks and praise.

Upvote 0
L

Lovely Lane

Yes you can vote for who ever you want to.

Jesus DID NOT teach that government should tax it's people to help the poor, that is the job for each individual to do via the church.

Helping the poor via government is the way the god of this world wants it done.

The poor will end up getting the shaft.

SearchingStudent--
The amount that I do or do not do to help the poor is non of any one's business. It is between myself and God, I do not need your or any one's thanks and praise.
And what type of government was around in the days of Jesus, Roman? Where Caesar was god and Christians were pagans.
yeah, those who say Jesus didn't teach that government should help the poor are usually the first to pipe up about using government power to stifle SSM and other hot button so-called Christian issues.

Your right, the poor get the shaft from Christians who vote against social safety net programs when they themselves fail daily in helping those in need. Check yourself, the church, and see if you or the church can provide for those in need nationally and daily. So, if you and the church has failed, who is it that should step in and do the work. Especially when the con's can find ways to pay for two wars and do some foreign nation building.

Bump it! I say I'm voting for social safety net programs and ObamaCare because American Christians and Church has failed. Either move, lead or follow, get out of the way. And keep that hardline con talk to those elites who placed the thought in your head.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.