Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(OSV News) — The Arizona Supreme Court ruled April 9 that a 160-year-old near-total abortion ban still on the books in the state is enforceable, a move that could shutter abortion clinics in the state. But, Arizona may have the issue of abortion on its ballot in November, which could undo those restrictions.

The state’s highest court said that following the recent reversal of the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, there was no federal or state law preventing Arizona from enforcing a 19th-century abortion ban — with an exception for the life of a mother — that had become dormant following Roe.

Court ruling and potential implications​

In a 4-2 decision, the state Supreme Court said the 1864 law, which predated Arizona’s statehood, is “enforceable”; however, the court also paused the ruling in order to send the case back to a lower court to hear additional arguments.

The ruling, in effect, overturns a lower court’s ruling that found a 15-week ban from 2022 superseded the 1864 law.

But the state Supreme Court found the 15-week ban “does not create a right to, or otherwise provide independent statutory authority for, an abortion that repeals or restricts” the previous ban, “but rather is predicated entirely on the existence of a federal constitutional right to an abortion since disclaimed” following the U.S. Supreme Court’s Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organizationdecision that overturned Roe and its related abortion precedent.

Reactions and statements​

Continued below.

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Glory to God!
Yes because the opinion and medical judgement of men that were living at the time to slavery in America is better then the opinion and medical of 21st Century American's.

Be against abortion. We're on a Catholic forum after all, but let's get real here:

Enforcing a 170 year old that was on the books BEFORE Arizona was even a state is, well, ridiculous.

Politically its losing position.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Yes because the opinion and medical judgement of men that were living at the time to slavery in America is better then the opinion and medical of 21st Century American's.

Be against abortion. We're on a Catholic forum after all, but let's get real here:

Enforcing a 170 year old that was on the books BEFORE Arizona was even a state is, well, ridiculous.

Politically its losing position.
Politically? Yes

Saving babies? It's a good thing

I respect you Charlie, and I have no further comment. I will have my own views, and that's ok.

I COMPLETLEY understand your view against this law. It makes sense. It's technically obsolete.

Take care.

• Agree
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politically? Yes

Saving babies? It's a good thing

I respect you Charlie, and I have no further comment. I will have my own views, and that's ok.

I COMPLETLEY understand your view against this law. It makes sense. It's technically obsolete.

Take care.

I know, you'll brook no further lip from me but I will only say one more thing before I walk away:

You wanna save babies ? We gotta start considering women's lives too.

Real live, already born women are suffering and dying because of this kind of law, it will cause a real live, real severe backlash that will make abortions real common.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I know, you'll brook no further lip from me but I will only say one more thing before I walk away:

You wanna save babies ? We gotta start considering women's lives too.

Real live, already born women are suffering and dying because of this kind of law, it will cause a real live, real severe backlash that will make abortions real common.
Absolutely. I agree. We must focus on both.

• Agree
Reactions: DJWhalen
Upvote 0