• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

STUDY: WAKE UP AN HOUR EARLIER, CUT YOUR DEPRESSION RISK BY 23 PERCENT

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,345.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
END YESTERDAY EARLIER, START TODAY EARLIER — AND, AS AN INCREDIBLE NEW STUDY TELLS US, POTENTIALLY MUCH, MUCH BETTER.

Anyone who’s not a morning person knows how patently wrong the 9-to-5 schedule of the world can feel. After all, the early bird gets the worm, and the Snooze button (a least to us non-morning people) is less a simple extension of sleep, and more an opioid-like drip of shelter for five more minutes from the hellish break of day.

So we’ll take all the motivation we can get — like this new finding, that waking up an hour earlier can cut your depression risk by 23 percent.

Yes, that’s right: 23 percent. The study, published this week in JAMA Psychiatry, was conducted by researchers at the University of Colorado Boulder, Harvard, and MIT.

They combed over the genetic data of over 800,000 subjects from 23andMe and UK Biobank (data that’s been described as the “world’s largest imaging sample” in a recent study correlating any amount of drinking to brain damage). Of these subjects, 85,000 of them wore sleep trackers. Another 250,000 of them filled out sleep preference surveys, in which participants self-identified as larks (or morning people), night owls, or whatever’s in between.

Continued below.
Study: Wake Up an Hour Earlier, Cut Your Depression Risk by 23 Percent

• Informative
Reactions: Unqualified

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
END YESTERDAY EARLIER, START TODAY EARLIER — AND, AS AN INCREDIBLE NEW STUDY TELLS US, POTENTIALLY MUCH, MUCH BETTER.

Anyone who’s not a morning person knows how patently wrong the 9-to-5 schedule of the world can feel. After all, the early bird gets the worm, and the Snooze button (a least to us non-morning people) is less a simple extension of sleep, and more an opioid-like drip of shelter for five more minutes from the hellish break of day.

So we’ll take all the motivation we can get — like this new finding, that waking up an hour earlier can cut your depression risk by 23 percent.

Yes, that’s right: 23 percent. The study, published this week in JAMA Psychiatry, was conducted by researchers at the University of Colorado Boulder, Harvard, and MIT.

They combed over the genetic data of over 800,000 subjects from 23andMe and UK Biobank (data that’s been described as the “world’s largest imaging sample” in a recent study correlating any amount of drinking to brain damage). Of these subjects, 85,000 of them wore sleep trackers. Another 250,000 of them filled out sleep preference surveys, in which participants self-identified as larks (or morning people), night owls, or whatever’s in between.

Continued below.
Study: Wake Up an Hour Earlier, Cut Your Depression Risk by 23 Percent

It stands to reason that the more light/daylight/sunlight that falls on you the more mentally healthy you are, i.e. SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). Many are prescribed 'light therapy' to fight depression especially in the northern regions with those long dark winters. While on a vacation in Anchorage I asked a fellow how people dealt with the long dark winters. "We drink our way through it", he quipped. That certainly doesn't help one's mental state either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If you have trouble getting up and running to get outside at sunrise, you can buy special lights on Amazon that generate the right wavelengths to help. I used them in a process called chronotherapy to reset my schedule back to normal human time. I have trouble with 24 hour days and I found out that the human circadian clock per a medical study is more like 25 hours, so that is one reason we struggle with getting up on time every day.

• Informative
Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i wonder about studies like this. It seems normal to me to get up early when you feel well, that is because we have energy then, however in my down spells i have much more trouble getting up, then i sleep in the afternoon and go early to bed at night. It is hard work being depressed. Most depressed people i know have a heavy duty sleeping pattern.

When a study finds that early risers have less depression then i think they are early risers because they have no depression, not that rising early harvests us less depression. If only depressed people would get up in time then they would be less depressed is the kind of attitudes you get from them. Blaming the victims rather than helping them.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0