• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Struggling up the ladder again

Dec 3, 2005
✟15,127.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hi,
I'm new to Christian forums but I really came here because I need some help. I've had a lot of stuff happen to me over the last year and I'm now really struggling with my relationship with God. I suppose I should explain fully. Sorry in advance for a very long story:

It really started before this year. All through secondary school my "best friend" used to beat me up every time she got mad at something and she was a compulsive liar, anyway right at the end of the my time there we sorted everything out and she changed a lot (for the better) and we are now good friends (she hasn't hit me once in 3 years). Also I was bullied since primary school, one kid strangled me until I lost consciousness but I haven't been bullied for years now.

I'm in my final year of sixth form college now, I've been there 3 years instead of two because I was very ill during my first year and had to repeat it. Well, at the beginning of this year, I went to a friend's 18 birthday party and during it, a close friend's christian boyfriend locked me in the bathroom with him and kissed me and tried to undress me. Anyway, I tried to push him away and say no but he wouldn't let me out. I should probably mention that this guy was generally a really nice guy but he was drunk, and you probably wonder why I didn't scream out loud, it was because I couldn't believe it was happening. While this was happening in my head I was screaming for God to come and help me...to stop this somehow and I really really believed he would help me, but he chose not to and that's when I started feeling so confused. I've been brought up a christian and I know that God hasn't abandoned me but the episode hurt me so much, it felt like going bungeyjumping and at the bottom realising that the bungey rope isn't there. I blamed myself and I wondered what I had done that made God want to not help a desparate child who was screaming for his help.

After that, I got involved with a non-christian and after two-weeks of going out he started abusing me physically, mentally and sexually. He threatened to commit suicide if I didn't stay with him and I suppose I stayed with him because of that and because I was trying to punish myself enough so that I would be able to be with God again, and then He wouldn't chose not to help me because I would be slightly more worthy of His love, and because I was in denial that it was happening to me - a boring, "good" girl. Anyway, the abuse continued everyday for about 12 hours for two months - we were on exam leave and I saw him from 9 in the morning to 9 in the evening when I would drive home, or sometimes drive him home from my house. Incidentally, this would happen even when my parents were in the house or when his parents were in and I couldn't put them through knowing what happened under their own roof. Anyway, after two months I realised how much I was beginning to hate myself and broke off the relationship with him. I managed to cope fairly well, I told some of my friends what had happened, and things went well(ish) until I started a new relationship about 6 months later and after two months he broke up with me when I told him what had happened in my previous relationship - he wasn't ready for a serious relationship. Anyway, that sent me into depression for couple of months. I'm now seeing a councillor and my abuser now avoids me (we go to the same college and had been hanging around me everyday since we broke up) because a mutual friend told him what had happened. I know that sounds strange but he didn't think of it as abuse, he's a very messed up individual.

Okay, moving swiftly on, my councillor is not christian so can't help me with the damage it did to me spiritually. I still can't talk to God because I now feel damaged and broken and so so unworthy of his love that I don't want him to see me, and I don't want to get hurt again so I don't want to love him because I don't want to risk him not loving me back or not answering me. Apart from now it's so lonely without him and it takes so much effort to stop myself being close to him, and I just can't ignore him and I so want to love him again, I'm even starting to listen to christian music again. So if you have any advice or help you can give me, or even just to tell me that I'm not alone in this would be great.
Thank you all so much.

bertie

Oct 25, 2005
enderby bc canada
✟1,283.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
CA-Greens
God has never stopped loving you.He is waiting for you to come to him in prayer.If you go to Him in prayer and tell Him everything (HE already knows)He can comfort you and you can have a restored relationship with Him.I believe your desire to know him again is a direct response to Gods reaching out to you through the Holy Spirit.Bad things happen to good people,not through Gods design but satan.let His Holy Spirit heal your heart for he will not forsake you,You are His child from before the world was made..The sripture says none come unto me save the Father draws them.What you feel,that longing inside you is the will of our Father drawing you to Him...just go...

Upvote 0
F

FaithWalker55

Okay, moving swiftly on, my councillor is not christian so can't help me with the damage it did to me spiritually. I still can't talk to God because I now feel damaged and broken and so so unworthy of his love that I don't want him to see me, and I don't want to get hurt again so I don't want to love him because I don't want to risk him not loving me back or not answering me. Apart from now it's so lonely without him and it takes so much effort to stop myself being close to him, and I just can't ignore him and I so want to love him again, I'm even starting to listen to christian music again. So if you have any advice or help you can give me, or even just to tell me that I'm not alone in this would be great.
Thank you all so much.

:groupray: Wow my friend you have really been through alot but I want you to know that God was with you the whole time. He has promised never to leave or forsake His children and you can believe this. His Word also says in this world we will have trials and tribulations and that's exactly what you have gone through. Even though it may seem to you that God was not there when you needed Him most, I can assure you He never left your side the whole time. And He is still right by your side now, just waiting for you to say "Help me Lord for you are the only one who can." Take all your troubles to the foot of the Cross my friend and give them to Jesus, tell Him all that is on your heart, He already knows it anyway but wants you to tell Him personally so He can perfect all that concerns you here. Ask Him to help you understand those things you don't understand, ask Him to fill you with His Holy Spirit so that in the future you will be empowered by that same Spirit with all you need to stand up to the trials and tribulations that come your way. Tell Him you"re sorry for any time you might have gone down the wrong path or failed to walk away from temptation and ask Him to give you discernment and wisdom in the future so you can know that the path ahead of you is saying there's danger ahead for you.

We will always wonder why God didn't do something we asked Him to do or why He doesn't prevent things from happening in our lives but as His children we are to walk in trust and faith that He loves us and has a plan for our lives and that even when satan tries to mess up those plans with his own evil ones, our God will turn to the good what satan means for evil.

Go to your heavenly Father and let Him take you, His child, under the refuge of His wings and restore to you all that has been taken from you. Let God bring you the love,joy, healing, and peace that you are searching for and let Him fill your heart with the assurance that He will never leave or forsake you and that He loves you with an everlasting love.

Daughter of the King....FaithWalker55 :pray:

Upvote 0

EbonNelumbo

Hope is a waking dream-Aristotle
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2004
Oregon City, Oregon
Visit site
✟33,816.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
*hug* I am sorry to hear that this has happened to you sweetie. I can say in all truth and personal experience that it DOES get better...with time. I am in the same situation, my ex and his croneys attend my college and I have to see them all literally at least once a day. Avoidance doesnt work because we have classes together.

I don't know exactly how you feel but God does. Rest assured that He does. Eventually He will take the depression, though it might be a day or a year. Just rest assured that there is a purpose to this later.

Please PM me if you want to ever talk. I am online a lot and I am willing to help you in whatever way I can.

-Your sister in Christ,
Hallee

Upvote 0