Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Here I go with another one of my threads. This afternoon was not a very good one. I went to Mass but my dad was sleeping before I left, but I left a note on his bed that I went out. I thought he would figure I was at church since it was a Saturday afternoon (I didn't want to write that specifically in the note). Anyway, after Mass I had to call my dad and tell him that I was going to the grocery store before coming home and he asked me “where are you” and I said “downtown” (which means church) and he got royally pizzed and said things like “STOP THIS CHURCH SH#T! YOU ALREADY WENT A FEW DAYS AGO! I’M NOT GOING TO TOLERATE IT, WE’RE ONE FAMILY!” and I was like “I went to a presentation a few days ago, it wasn’t a church service” and “I thought you wanted me to have friends and not be isolated” and he was like “THESE ARE NOT FRIENDS! THIS IS A RELIGION CHANGE!” I told him that I would call him from the store but I couldn’t control my tears so I sat down in the pew and covered my face with my fingers (I couldn’t completely cover it, but I tried). I literally cried, which is something I have the most impossible time doing because of my medication – it has to take something drastic in order for me to cry, but I did. I didn’t cry loudly, but what bummed me was that no one stopped by and asked if I was OK. I could have sworn that the priest had also walked by (I heard him talking nearby), or at least saw me from a distance sitting in my particular position (hands over my face) but didn’t stop by to ask if I was OK either. I’m disappointed in him right now. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn’t want to “interrupt someone’s peace” at the end of Mass but I could have sworn that I didn’t look like I was at peace. I noticed that as I left, he was going to perform a baptism of an infant and there were probably at least 10 people for the sacrament, but if that was the reason he “couldn’t” talk to me, at least he could have mentioned why.

Just before I called my dad at the store, I noticed he called me while I was driving, so I called him back to tell him I was at the store (and that I couldn't answer the phone while driving), and his tone was different and friendly, with no mention of the previous [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]show conversation. I’m not sure what to make of that, but it doesn’t prevent me from being afraid of next week. There’s a presentation from the priest on this coming Wednesday but my dad can't even handle me going to Mass once a week, so I don’t know how I’m going to squeeze this one in. The presentation is about the Eucharist, and I wanted to go.

Reactions: Michie

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Catholics are sort of trained to respect other’s space. Could it be that they thought you were praying? As far as your dad, how old is he now?
I'm inclined to consider that the first two statements could be correct. My dad is 90 but I hate mentioning his age :|

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm inclined to consider that the first two statements could be correct. My dad is 90 but I hate mentioning his age :|
Well his age makes a lot of difference. He is most likely scared and cognitive abilities due to aging can make a world of difference on how he perceives things as you showed in your post. It can change by the minute. It does not mean dementia, etc, it’s just the normal aging of the brain. My mom is having issues as well. Prayers for your strength and discernment and your father’s peace and comfort.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lady Bug
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
A check up couldn’t hurt but usually at that age it is normal cognitive aging.
I agree, the same thing happened to my late grandmother who didn't have Alzheimer's or dementia. I think it was just her age.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm really sorry for you, Lady Bug. You're putting up with a lot of unwarranted abuse; but, Christ told us that those who are persecuted for their Faith will reap a glorious heavenly reward. So you do have that to hang on to and look forward to. :)

Not trying to minimize your situation at all, but I didn't have the greatest experience after Mass last week, myself. We were all filing out of the vestibule; I was about to dip my fingers into the holy water font to bless myself, and somebody let go of the exterior door. It got caught in the wind and slammed closed with a rattling crash, and I immediately experienced an amygdala hijack due to my PTSD. I stiffened, went into a half-crouch and slammed my back against the wall.

Scared the lady behind me half to death---she said "Whoa!" and asked if I was okay. I managed to gasp out "PTSD," and she said, "Ohhhh---you heard that crash!" I was hyperventilating and shaking, and I was quickly surrounded by a small crowd of solicitous parishioners, all wanting to make sure I was all right. I told them I'd be okay in a little while, and I managed to recover enough to finally walk outside.

It was embarrassing, but at least I didn't scream "INCOMING!" and dive for the floor, like I used to. :(

The older couple who usually sit near me in church came to me after Mass yesterday and said that they had been thinking about me all last week and praying for me. :) I told them I appreciated it very much.

I will pray for you, too, sister. :)

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I'm really sorry for you, Lady Bug. You're putting up with a lot of unwarranted abuse; but, Christ told us that those who are persecuted for their Faith will reap a glorious heavenly reward. So you do have that to hang on to and look forward to. :)

Not trying to minimize your situation at all, but I didn't have the greatest experience after Mass last week, myself. We were all filing out of the vestibule; I was about to dip my fingers into the holy water font to bless myself, and somebody let go of the exterior door. It got caught in the wind and slammed closed with a rattling crash, and I immediately experienced an amygdala hijack due to my PTSD. I stiffened, went into a half-crouch and slammed my back against the wall.

Scared the lady behind me half to death---she said "Whoa!" and asked if I was okay. I managed to gasp out "PTSD," and she said, "Ohhhh---you heard that crash!" I was hyperventilating and shaking, and I was quickly surrounded by a small crowd of solicitous parishioners, all wanting to make sure I was all right. I told them I'd be okay in a little while, and I managed to recover enough to finally walk outside.

It was embarrassing, but at least I didn't scream "INCOMING!" and dive for the floor, like I used to. :(

The older couple who usually sit near me in church came to me after Mass yesterday and said that they had been thinking about me all last week and praying for me. :) I told them I appreciated it very much.

I will pray for you, too, sister. :)
What you went through sounds terrible. At least you had some people asking if you were OK.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Is it possible he might have dementia or Alzheimer’s? I’m sorry to hear you had a bad experience.
I don't see signs of either one. It does appear to be more of a cognitive aging issue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't see signs of either one. It does appear to be more of a cognitive aging issue.
My mom is having some issues with the aging aspect of that as well.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My mom is having some issues with the aging aspect of that as well.
I get worried about that because my dad is quite emphatic that I will have problems when I'm old because I'm not married with kids, but it's kind of hard to be married/with kids in the environment I've been in for most of my adult life. I also don't want them around my dad's relatives. I never had a chance in life. I'm not even sure it was the will of God. But when I get old and start having problems, I'm worried that my dad will be proven right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
My parents were very rough to live with too. I was told to leave for no reason other than "you're over 18". Since they gave me no warning, I had to move in with a guy I barely knew just to have a roof over my head. Now I don't care that they did that because it made me very independent (and got me away from their negativity). But at the time, I was upset.
Hope that you can work something out. :crosseo:

• Informative
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I get worried about that because my dad is quite emphatic that I will have problems when I'm old because I'm not married with kids, but it's kind of hard to be married/with kids in the environment I've been in for most of my adult life. I also don't want them around my dad's relatives. I never had a chance in life. I'm not even sure it was the will of God. But when I get old and start having problems, I'm worried that my dad will be proven right.
There are policies you can look into that helps with nursing care etc. I’m married but no kids. I’m in the same boat. And children are no guarantee that you will be looked after. Often, it’s quite the opposite.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My parents were very rough to live with too. I was told to leave for no reason other than "you're over 18". Since they gave me no warning, I had to move in with a guy I barely knew just to have a roof over my head. Now I don't care that they did that because it made me very independent (and got me away from their negativity). But at the time, I was upset.
Hope that you can work something out. :crosseo:
My dad is not the type to kick me out for being 18+ but I don't think he likes to live with me anymore if it means that I would be Christian. He can't really do too much without me, which makes me feel trapped. If I move out, I worry that he'll bring someone else into the house (to replace me) who is Muslim, which will make it harder for me to avoid the Muslim community. If I could run away right now, I'd do it. I'm suffocating over here.
There are policies you can look into that helps with nursing care etc. I’m married but no kids. I’m in the same boat. And children are no guarantee that you will be looked after. Often, it’s quite the opposite.
I would like to know what policies they are so that I can think about them. If you can't think of it now, maybe you can tell me later.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My dad is not the type to kick me out for being 18+ but I don't think he likes to live with me anymore if it means that I would be Christian. He can't really do too much without me, which makes me feel trapped. If I move out, I worry that he'll bring someone else into the house (to replace me) who is Muslim, which will make it harder for me to avoid the Muslim community. If I could run away right now, I'd do it. I'm suffocating over here.

I would like to know what policies they are so that I can think about them. If you can't think of it now, maybe you can tell me later.
They are expensive. But worth looking into. You can Google it. My mother in law has one but it burst went up 25%! :eek: But it is a buffer for your protection. There is also assisted living…also expensive. I just moved mom here to my home as she has pets. It’s been bumpy and stressful but it is getting easier as time goes along.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
They are expensive. But worth looking into. You can Google it. My mother in law has one but it burst went up 25%! :eek: But it is a buffer for your protection. There is also assisted living…also expensive. I just moved mom here to my home as she has pets. It’s been bumpy and stressful but it is getting easier as time goes along.
I'm just worried that I may not be able to save enough money for it. If you ask me why, it would involve divulging my life story, which I'm not keen on doing right now.

Upvote 0