Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Because he did not humble himself even tho he was also a sinner just like the tax collector. He exalted himself.
Really? He thanked God.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For salvation? All of them.

Your focus is aimed towards refutation rather than understanding. I don’t believe that your blind, I believe you just intentionally ignoring the facts in order to win an argument. That’s just pride my friend. To say that synergists believe they can be saved based on their own merit is obviously a contradiction in terms. I provided the definition of the word even tho I was confident that you already knew the meaning. But I gave you the benefit of the doubt hoping that perhaps I was wrong and you truly didn’t understand the definition. You really need to look into yourself and ask yourself is it more important to speak truth or to is it more important attack blindly without discernment?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Your focus is aimed towards refutation rather than understanding. I don’t believe that your blind, I believe you just intentionally ignoring the facts in order to win an argument. That’s just pride my friend. To say that synergists believe they can be saved based on their own merit is obviously a contradiction in terms. I provided the definition of the word even tho I was confident that you already knew the meaning. But I gave you the benefit of the doubt hoping that perhaps I was wrong and you truly didn’t understand the definition. You really need to look into yourself and ask yourself is it more important to speak truth or to is it more important attack blindly without discernment?
Wow. You asked a question, I answered it, and that led to a personal attack?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Wow Luke18:14
11 The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: 'God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.
12 I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.' (Luke 18:11, NASB)

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
11 The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: 'God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.
12 I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.' (Luke 18:11, NASB)

Yes he was exalting himself in self righteousness.

“And He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt:

I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭18:9, 14‬ ‭NASB‬

• Agree
Reactions: renniks
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow. You asked a question, I answered it, and that led to a personal attack?

Your the one who was attacking by saying that synergists do not rely on Jesus for their salvation. That is an attack that contradicts the very meaning of synergy. I specifically pointed out John 15:5 for without Him (Jesus) we can do nothing and you still insisted that synergists do not rely on Jesus for salvation. The only way to reach that decision is by intentionally ignoring what I specifically said instead of contemplating how synergists could possibly work together with God in harmony to serve Him. You are the one who is looking for ways to attack instead of looking for ways to absolve any wrong-doing. I politely provided the definition of the word synergy giving you the benefit of the doubt that perhaps you didn’t understand the meaning in an attempt to refrain from accusing you of intentionally attacking synergists. My intention was to absolve you of ignoring its meaning and your intentional attack. Even that didn’t work, you still persisted. So yeah I’m calling it like I see it after I politely made attempts to defuse the situation.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yes he was exalting himself in self righteousness.

“And He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt:

I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭18:9, 14‬ ‭NASB‬
So do you need to do anything other than believe to be justified?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Well that’s a tricky question since many have different definitions of the word believe. In the English language the word believe can mean.

to consider to be true or honest believe the reportsyou wouldn't believe how long it took
b: to accept the word or evidence of I believe youcouldn't believe my ears
2: to hold as an opinion : SUPPOSEI believe it will rain soon
intransitive verb

1a: to accept something as true, genuine, or real ideals we believe inbelieves in ghosts
b: to have a firm or wholehearted religious conviction or persuasion : to regard the existence of God as a fact Do you believe?—usually used with inbelieve in the Scriptures
2: to have a firm conviction as to the goodness, efficacy, or ability of something believe in exercise
3: to hold an opinion : THINKI believe so

However the primary definition of the Greek word pisteuo implies a level of conviction and obedience. The root word pistis translated to faith in English also implies loyalty, faithfulness, trustworthiness, and fidelity.

faith

G4102

Lemma:

πίστις

Transliteration:

pístis

Pronounce:

pis'-tis

Part of Speech:

Noun Feminine

Language:

greek

Description:

1) conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it a) relating to God

1) the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ b) relating to Christ

1) a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God c) the religious beliefs of Christians d) belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same

2) fidelity, faithfulness a) the character of one who can be relied on

believe

G4100

Lemma:

πιστεύω

Transliteration:

pisteúō

Pronounce:

pist-yoo'-o

Part of Speech:

Verb

Language:

greek

Description:

1) to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in a) of the thing believed

1) to credit, have confidence b) in a moral or religious reference

1) used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul

2) to trust in Jesus or God as able to aid either in obtaining or in doing something: saving faith

3) mere acknowledgment of some fact or event: intellectual faith

2) to entrust a thing to one, i.e. his fidelity a) to be intrusted with a thing

believers

G4103

Lemma:

πιστός

Transliteration:

pistós

Pronounce:

pis-tos'

Part of Speech:

Adjective

Language:

greek

Description:

1) trusty, faithful a) of persons who show themselves faithful in the transaction of business, the execution of commands, or the discharge of official duties b) one who kept his plighted faith, worthy of trust c) that can be relied on

2) easily persuaded a) believing, confiding, trusting b) in the NT one who trusts in God's promises

1) one who is convinced that Jesus has been raised from the dead

2) one who has become convinced that Jesus is the Messiah and author of salvation

I believe the biblical meaning of believe requires more than simply acknowledging Jesus’ existence.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Under your system, you can't even believe unless you are given belief by divine power. So saying you have to believe is meaningless if you could not do otherwise.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,448.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Under your system, you can't even believe unless you are given belief by divine power. So saying you have to believe is meaningless if you could not do otherwise.

Preaching the gospel is meaningless if predestination is true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Well that’s a tricky question since many have different definitions of the word believe. In the English language the word believe can mean.

to consider to be true or honest believe the reportsyou wouldn't believe how long it took
b: to accept the word or evidence of I believe youcouldn't believe my ears
2: to hold as an opinion : SUPPOSEI believe it will rain soon
intransitive verb

1a: to accept something as true, genuine, or real ideals we believe inbelieves in ghosts
b: to have a firm or wholehearted religious conviction or persuasion : to regard the existence of God as a fact Do you believe?—usually used with inbelieve in the Scriptures
2: to have a firm conviction as to the goodness, efficacy, or ability of something believe in exercise
3: to hold an opinion : THINKI believe so

However the primary definition of the Greek word pisteuo implies a level of conviction and obedience. The root word pistis translated to faith in English also implies loyalty, faithfulness, trustworthiness, and fidelity.

faith

G4102

Lemma:

πίστις

Transliteration:

pístis

Pronounce:

pis'-tis

Part of Speech:

Noun Feminine

Language:

greek

Description:

1) conviction of the truth of anything, belief; in the NT of a conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervour born of faith and joined with it a) relating to God

1) the conviction that God exists and is the creator and ruler of all things, the provider and bestower of eternal salvation through Christ b) relating to Christ

1) a strong and welcome conviction or belief that Jesus is the Messiah, through whom we obtain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God c) the religious beliefs of Christians d) belief with the predominate idea of trust (or confidence) whether in God or in Christ, springing from faith in the same

2) fidelity, faithfulness a) the character of one who can be relied on

believe

G4100

Lemma:

πιστεύω

Transliteration:

pisteúō

Pronounce:

pist-yoo'-o

Part of Speech:

Verb

Language:

greek

Description:

1) to think to be true, to be persuaded of, to credit, place confidence in a) of the thing believed

1) to credit, have confidence b) in a moral or religious reference

1) used in the NT of the conviction and trust to which a man is impelled by a certain inner and higher prerogative and law of soul

2) to trust in Jesus or God as able to aid either in obtaining or in doing something: saving faith

3) mere acknowledgment of some fact or event: intellectual faith

2) to entrust a thing to one, i.e. his fidelity a) to be intrusted with a thing

believers

G4103

Lemma:

πιστός

Transliteration:

pistós

Pronounce:

pis-tos'

Part of Speech:

Adjective

Language:

greek

Description:

1) trusty, faithful a) of persons who show themselves faithful in the transaction of business, the execution of commands, or the discharge of official duties b) one who kept his plighted faith, worthy of trust c) that can be relied on

2) easily persuaded a) believing, confiding, trusting b) in the NT one who trusts in God's promises

1) one who is convinced that Jesus has been raised from the dead

2) one who has become convinced that Jesus is the Messiah and author of salvation

I believe the biblical meaning of believe requires more than simply acknowledging Jesus’ existence.
I thought there would be a follow up that actually answered the question.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,317.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Are you going to answer the question? You have a tendency to change the subject when asked difficult questions.

Upvote 0