Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Years and years ago I heard it.
I heard that the Passover lamb was spotless and brought into the families home and was cared for and a loved animal before the sacrifice.

It just keeps coming to mind as I explore what the Jews knew of the Passover lamb and how they would understand when they heard the gospel.

I've been trying to find it in the bible as far as the tradition of the lamb before Passover and I can't find anything yet on the way the lamb was treated by the family...if they adored it first...

But anyway for some reason I keep thinking about it and wondered what others here know of traditions.

I also found this when I was searching the internet on the Passover Lamb

When the Passover is being observed, the head of the home will be seated at one of the ends of the table, and he will have a pillow beside him, and on a number of occasions during the course of the meal he will recline on the pillow beside him, he will place his head on it. REASON: back in Egypt the Jews were slaves, and slaves were not permitted to recline and eat as freemen could in a leasurely way. But at the Passover the Jew is reminded that he had been redeemed, he had been redeemed by the mighty hand of God, he was no longer a slave. So to remind the Jews that they were no longer slaves, the head of the home will place his head on the pillow, and in doing that he is saying, "We are not slaves, we are freemen." It is very possible that this is what was being enacted when a disciple placed his head on the Lord's bosom at the last supper in the upper room in John 13:23.

was Jesus referring to this when he said he had no where to lay his head?

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,057,381.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exodus 12:6 says that the Israelites were to take care of the lamb they had chosen; it doesn't actually say that they took them into their households and they became treasured pets.

As for reclining; I don't know about the OT but people in Jesus' day normally reclined at the table. I don't know if there was a Biblical reason for this; I've never really looked into it.

Upvote 0

Habakk

Prayer Team †
Jun 10, 2011
Teesside
✟36,450.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I heard that the Passover lamb was spotless and brought into the families home and was cared for and a loved animal before the sacrifice.

It just keeps coming to mind as I explore what the Jews knew of the Passover lamb and how they would understand when they heard the gospel.

I've been trying to find it in the bible as far as the tradition of the lamb before Passover and I can't find anything yet on the way the lamb was treated by the family...if they adored it first...

But anyway for some reason I keep thinking about it and wondered what others here know of traditions.

When the Passover is being observed, the head of the home will be seated at one of the ends of the table, and he will have a pillow beside him, and on a number of occasions during the course of the meal he will recline on the pillow beside him, he will place his head on it. REASON: back in Egypt the Jews were slaves, and slaves were not permitted to recline and eat as freemen could in a leasurely way. But at the Passover the Jew is reminded that he had been redeemed, he had been redeemed by the mighty hand of God, he was no longer a slave. So to remind the Jews that they were no longer slaves, the head of the home will place his head on the pillow, and in doing that he is saying, "We are not slaves, we are freemen." It is very possible that this is what was being enacted when a disciple placed his head on the Lord's bosom at the last supper in the upper room in John 13:23.

Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: you shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats: And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening (Exodus 12: 5-6).

In general animals were cared for and loved by the Sheppard’s in a more intimate way than today. Today sheep are branded by the farmer with marks to signify ownership. In bible days the sheep would know and trust their Sheppard. So when Jesus said “my sheep hear my voice” he was referring to an analogy where Sheppard’s take their sheep along with other Sheppard’s to be watered. All the sheep are mixed and indistinguishable, but when the master calls, only his sheep that recognise his voice will follow.

Some commentator’s say that the lamb was taken inside so that the family could observe it closely for a period to be sure that it had no blemishes. However the law made no provision to subsume the lamb if problems occurred. This perfectly typifies the Lord in that there was no other provision made for our salvation other than the spotless Son of God.

As far as I can find out it was the custom of Israeli families to take the lamb into their home, feed it, cuddle it, love it, and treat it as one of the family “the beloved lamb.”

The Lamb had to be roasted. Not boiled in a pot (hidden and watered down gospel). Remember when you roast something you place it on a wooden spit for all to see (the Cross).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Bless yer heart, i think you really hit on something here...how beautiful is that? This:

How gloriously BEAUTIFUL is that?

Upvote 0

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: you shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats: And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening (Exodus 12: 5-6).

In general animals were cared for and loved by the Sheppard’s in a more intimate way than today. Today sheep are branded by the farmer with marks to signify ownership. In bible days the sheep would know and trust their Sheppard. So when Jesus said “my sheep hear my voice” he was referring to an analogy where Sheppard’s take their sheep along with other Sheppard’s to be watered. All the sheep are mixed and indistinguishable, but when the master calls, only his sheep that recognise his voice will follow.

Some commentator’s say that the lamb was taken inside so that the family could observe it closely for a period to be sure that it had no blemishes. However the law made no provision to subsume the lamb if problems occurred. This perfectly typifies the Lord in that there was no other provision made for our salvation other than the spotless Son of God.

As far as I can find out it was the custom of Israeli families to take the lamb into their home, feed it, cuddle it, love it, and treat it as one of the family “the beloved lamb.”

The Lamb had to be roasted. Not boiled in a pot (hidden and watered down gospel). Remember when you roast something you place it on a spit, a wooden stick for all to see (the Cross).
Thank you so much :hug:

one of my sisters from this board messaged me with a passage 2 Sam 12:3 and I know it to be allegory and to point out what David had done but I noticed that the lamb was a ewe...not a male. Would this not have sounded a bit off? Would David know that the lamb was not meant for sacrifice because it was a ewe...why would a ewe lamb have been taken for sacrifice? Was it customary for it to happen on occasion? of course I know that the ewe lamb and the poor man is allegory but was wondering if anything at all can be gleaned from it other then how it was used to point to what David did?

Very good to know Habakk about the Shepherds:) I love animals and my cat and dog follow me everywhere and when I call they come a running because they know I have something good for them :) Except when my dog makes a mess and can tell by the tone of my voice then my dog will tuck tail and hide. :)

But I can relate to the care of a shepherd for his sheep. i've been wanting a baby lamb as a pet in the last year and it just warms my heart that if I place the sheep in the midst of others that it will come to my voice..because trust and affection have been built.

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0
L

LST 1154

When I was a young child and lived on a farm dad bought a young steer. We named it Mike. We fed Mike, we rode Mike like he was a pony, and soon we discovered that we loved Mike. Then about a year later dad loaded Mike up and took him to the butcher. A few days later Mike arrived back home in the form of hamburger and steaks. That evening as we sat eating supper dad casually mentioned that we were eating Mike. All of us burst into tears and we all refused to eat any more meat for a long time. Dad NEVER again allowed us to get close to our farm animals. My best guess is neither did the fathers in the OT allow his children to "get close" to the passover lamb, especially knowing how sweet and fluffy and lovable sheep are.

LST

Upvote 0

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was a young child and lived on a farm dad bought a young steer. We named it Mike. We fed Mike, we rode Mike like he was a pony, and soon we discovered that we loved Mike. Then about a year later dad loaded Mike up and took him to the butcher. A few days later Mike arrived back home in the form of hamburger and steaks. That evening as we sat eating supper dad casually mentioned that we were eating Mike. All of us burst into tears and we all refused to eat any more meat for a long time. Dad NEVER again allowed us to get close to our farm animals. My best guess is neither did the fathers in the OT allow his children to "get close" to the passover lamb, especially knowing how sweet and fluffy and lovable sheep are.

LST
Oh my goodness! I lived on a farm to and we had a cow and a few baby calves...we would place our hands in their mouth and lower their mouth into the pail of milk. When those babies grew up they got mean and once chased me right up a tree. I did not mind eating the beef. But we had chickens to and one day I walked around back and saw my stepdad chopping their heads off and I let out a scream that did not stop until my mom slapped me. I was forced to dip the chickens into the pot of hot water and take their feathers off...I could not eat the chickens after that. Also I love horses and my stepdad brought meat home and cooked it and had us try it...i did not like the look on his face as I took that first bite...he asked if it was good and I stopped chewing and he said it was horse. I spit it out and was so hurt that he had done that.
Yes baby lambs are cute...and baby pigs :) with their curly lil tail

I love animals but some I do eat..others I do not

Upvote 0

Habakk

Prayer Team †
Jun 10, 2011
Teesside
✟36,450.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

LST

Culture and attitudes were quite different in bible times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TamaraLynne

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Michigan
✟11,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One last bump and then I'll stop...now I can't stop thinking about the pillow thing and the above explanation of head of household resting his head at the head of the table at mealtime has me very intrigued. Not only do we have a tradition for the husband to sit at the head of the table but for the Jews to lay their head on a pillow in reference to freedom from slavery....

When Jesus said he had no where to lay his head...how does it fit?

I do not feel his comment had anything to do with a home...because he had a mom and dad and family home here on earth and he had a home in heaven and he had places to sleep....
Does anyone know more about this custom of the man of the house resting his head?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,057,381.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When Jesus said he had no where to lay his head...how does it fit?

I do not feel his comment had anything to do with a home...

I think it does - because if you read the full verse, Jesus said, "foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head." (Luke 9:58).
A man had just said that he would follow Jesus wherever he went. Jesus, by his reply, was saying that he had an itinerant ministry, and so warning the man of what he would have to give up.

In my bible, the passage is headed "the cost of being a disciple."

Upvote 0