London
✟17,332.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This is a list of a few questions I have about Christianity. There are many other things I find puzzling about it but would be interested in finding out people's answers to these questions. I appreciate that lots of intelligent people have done a lot of research and believe in Christianity so I think it's important for me to learn more about it.

1. I find it difficult to comprehend how God could always exist.

2. I find it difficult to match the Genesis creation account to what I consider pretty sound scientific evidence.

3. I have difficulty comprehending why an omnipotent and omniscient God would want to create such a vast universe but be so concerned by the behaviour of humans.

4. I'm not sure why God created Satan when he would have known how evil he would be.

5. I don't understand why God continues to allow evil and suffering to exist.

6. I don't know why God doesn't make it more obvious that Christianity is true.

7. I don't know why he places so much emphasis on the Israeli people and the Jews but seems less interested in other people.

8. I don't see why God would want to punish people for eternity in Hell.

9. I'm not sure why Jesus is leaving his return for so long. I'm not really sure why he didn't do everything prophesied in one visit either.

10. I'm not sure why God would only give one person a revelation about the future. Now that Satan must know what God plans for him why would he still go ahead with what God wants?

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is a list of a few questions I have about Christianity. There are many other things I find puzzling about it but would be interested in finding out people's answers to these questions. I appreciate that lots of intelligent people have done a lot of research and believe in Christianity so I think it's important for me to learn more about it.

2. I find it difficult to match the Genesis creation account to what I consider pretty sound scientific evidence.

3. I have difficulty comprehending why an omnipotent and omniscient God would want to create such a vast universe but be so concerned by the behaviour of humans.

4. I'm not sure why God created Satan when he would have known how evil he would be.

7. I don't know why he places so much emphasis on the Israeli people and the Jews but seems less interested in other people.

9. I'm not sure why Jesus is leaving his return for so long. I'm not really sure why he didn't do everything prophesied in one visit either.

10. I'm not sure why God would only give one person a revelation about the future. Now that Satan must know what God plans for him why would he still go ahead with what God wants?
Hi; there is also a clear skies overview which takes in more broadly our attitude to everything else?

What about the eternal consequences of your sins and mine? and why reject God's loving provision of the Saviour, Who died at the Cross in the place of sinners?

Upvote 0

Anna-

Jul 23, 2017
London
✟17,332.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hi; there is also a clear skies overview which takes in more broadly our attitude to everything else?

What about the eternal consequences of your sins and mine? and why reject God's loving provision of the Saviour, Who died at the Cross in the place of sinners?

I'm not very knowledgeable about Christianity. I'm looking for some answers from Christians explaining their beliefs and answering my questions. Honestly I don't reject Christianity, It's just currently I don't believe in it.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not very knowledgeable about Christianity. I'm looking for some answers from Christians explaining their beliefs and answering my questions. Honestly I don't reject Christianity, It's just currently I don't believe in it.
Good to see you on the forums.

I reckon part of my point is that there really isn't an such thing as neutrality. Hebrews 11.6 says: "He that believes in God, must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him."

The Lord Jesus said in Matthew 7.7: "Seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you".

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I feel He has always existed because I feel he made the universe.

I believe mankind is so precious that we must have been created by a God.

I feel he is concerned with humans because he love us all deeply.

I do not feel God created Satan. I feel Satan always existed but will one day be destroyed by God.

I don't feel God is all powerful. Therefore I do not think he can always stop evil and suffering.

I don't feel God can always make himself known to humans. He tries to communicate through the Bible and when we pray to him.

I feel he loves all people.
I don't believe in hell, only heaven.
I feel that he will not return.

Satan is the adversary and one day God will destroy him.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There is no doubt God is difficult for us to comprehend.
Agreed. It is difficult.
Genesis is not science. It portrays what happened in a non-scientific way. You can, however, reconcile the creation accounts to science (or vice-versa) if you understand what the purpose of those writings is.
I know it's difficult to comprehend...
God wanted all His creatures to love Him, but love without free will is slavery. God gave all beings free will. Satan and his followers chose not to love God.
Again, it's the question of free will.
We believe it is obvious.
God loves all His creatures. He loves us so much that he wants us to have whatever we love, even if it isn't him.
This is the same reason-he loves us so much he gives us what we want, even if it isn't him. But if it isn't him, then when we die, that's hell. Hell is the absence of God as cold is the absence of heat.
His visit was cut short by the Pharisees.
He didn't only give one person a revelation about the future, or the Truth. There's many. The children at Fatima were given revelations, St. Faustina was as well. Many others.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟186,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1.) God is eternal. Look at it like this. Space had to come from somewhere. It couldn't just come out of nothing. Nothing never created or started anything. Time had to start somewhere. It didn't just begin on its own. Just based off the LOGIC (excluding faith) these things have to be created. Which leads to no.2

2.) There are people who think Genesis does indeed chronicle Evolution and the "Big Bang". I for one do not adhere to those ideas. I believe God is able to create exactly as Genesis says He did. Science doesn't know for certain how things started, it can only guesstimate based on certain observations and equations. Those things are proven wrong usually when more data is known. We don't even know everything about our own planet and science thinks it knows when the universe began and how life started? Ummm I don't know.

3.) Yahweh is so concerned with humans because we are made in his image. He crowned mankind with glory and honor and elevated human over all other creation. That is why he is so concerned with us. We are to him what a wayward child would be to a parent, someone that the parent cares about deeply and looks for them to return.

4.) God created Satan? Source?

5.) Evil exists because mankind brought it upon themselves. It is the consequence of pride and selfishness. God did something about it by sending Jesus then the Holy Spirit. It is about like saying we don't believe in dentistsry because cavities still exist.

6.) One element of this is faith. We walk by faith not by sight 2 Corinthians 5:7 but Christianity has plenty of proofs for it's truth. Where is Jesus body if he had not raised from the dead? How could 12 fishermen & outcasts transform the world if their message wasn't inspired by God? These are just two, but I am not much for apologetics so maybe someone else can chime in there.

7.) Israel was God's chosen people via Abraham, but he has always been concerned with gentiles as well. He wouldn't have judged Sodom and Gomorrah if he didn't care about the injustices being done there. He wouldn't have sent Jonah to Nineveh if he didn't want to spare them. He raised Gentile people back to life in the OT. Provided for them. God has always been concerned with all man, he just had a plan for redemption and that plan went through Israel.

8.) God judged sin. The compensation for sin is death (Romans 6:23) but the GIFT of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ. God doesn't want to send people to hell, that is why Jesus doesn't on the cross for you and me. So that we could go to heaven and avoid hell. Do you believe this?

9.) This is a question no one can answer. Some things belong to God and he hasn't revealed them. Deuteronomy 29:29. God set a plan in motion way back in the Garden of Eden and it will continue until it's complete fulfillment. No one but the Father knows when Jesus is returning.

10.) I am not sure what you mean by this. Who is the one person to receive God's revelation? No one can really answer the part about Satan either because none of us are him. My guess is he is trying to discredit God as much as possible and back to answer #3, man is God's most prized creation being made in his own image, and Satan's intent was to destroy that creation from the beginning.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green

Jesus-Loves-You-Wallpaper-01.jpg

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Good questions, Anna. I'll start with the fist one, and then try to respond to more later. God Bless.

We can't really comprehend this. But we can ponder the depth of what Christ said in his "I am" statements. A statement God makes about himself in Exodus 3:14. One book that I found helpful in this regard is God and Philosphy by Étienne Gilson. Much is made of the influence of Greek philosophy on Christianity, but Gilson pinpoints the key difference between the two: "He who is" (Christianity) versus "that which is" (Greek philosophy).

• Prayers
Upvote 0

1gh2g3f4

Jul 12, 2017
✟20,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

1. thats great... if you could wrap your mind around the creator of you who is really the creator?

2. this is typical... and the scientific evidence is actually fundamentally flawed in what it supposes as truth.. in many ways it has already contradicted itself on MANY levels.. i would suggest to you to watch this little movie what is the name of it... ummm "Is Genesis History?" you can find this on netflix actually and if you dont have that... i may be able to find you a link if you are honestly interested in a deeper understanding of why i say what i say here...

3. to be so concerned by the behavior of humans... well thats a loaded question.. and kinda puts perspective on many things now... for one... we are made in the image of god.. he loves us so much that he sent his only son to die for us and scripture tells us that god is love.. its not a matter of how we behave... its a matter of giving to him what he gave to us and he gives us the freewill to choose accept him or dont.. (if he wrote in us to love him it would not be real love.. there for freewill MUST happen for love to be real..) so he is concerned about us to see if we love him as he loves us... its literal choice....

4. i would refer you back to question number 3 where you have to have choice and freewill to choose.. if you didnt have choice there is no freewill..

5. yet again... because love needs freewill to choose between good or evil..(its your choice.)

6. he has made it abundantly clear to me... you are basically talking to a dead man.. but what does this matter to you? just as jesus was speaking a parable about lazarus and the rich man and the rich man (who was in hell) asked to send lazarus back from the dead to warn them about all of these things that they was real and the reply was they have the profits for that.. if they will not listen to them.. they will not listen to the dead either... (and this is true.)

7. its simply because they are his chosen people he chose those people to be light to the world to be different and to stand in a more righteous way.. this is why the law was given to them first...

8. he is a righteous god.. he did not make hell for us but for the fallen angels who disobeyed him part of the punishment is eternal separation from god.. if you dont want anything to do with him that is the only place you have left that is apart from him.

9.because the world needed to be saved (if they didnt accept him and all fall short then no one would make it to heaven and the holy sacrife that jesus made would be in vain...) the entire world needed to come under his salvation and hear of it... and not only this but accept in in their freewill..

10. many people have had revelations..... you just dont hear about them because no one listens...

after reading your questions i think your understanding is very basic and worldly.. this is my honest opinion... if you wanted to have a better understanding of what you really are seeking in your questions i would ask you to study freewill and love but not in the way that we think love is.... but his... not our own.. so that means you actually have to read his word..

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
1. Existence... If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2)

And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma
Mental E/c2 - Mentally, A mathematical formula, but this has chemical and spiritual properties as well.
Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

God can dis-associate the mass into plasma, and the plasma back to mass however to his will and liking. E/c2 can not be created or destroyed, but it can change form. God also cannot be created or destroyed, he can manipulate the energy and light to his will and to his liking.

2. Creation - When God said, "Let there be light" it should not be hard to imagine the mass turning into plasma energy.

3. Concern - As three is the number of perfect union, so there are three groups of angels led by the arch angels Lucifer, Michael, and Gabriel. Lucifer, which means light bearer, rebelled and took his angels with him. This universe was created in response to that rebellion. We humans are created to replace the vacated third, which is why there is so much concern.

4. Evil - Result of Lucifers rebellion, but God has promised us a new heaven and a new earth, and invites us to suffer this life out.

5-7. Christianity - It is now worldwide. With Christ we have access to the blessings of Israel.

8. Hell - Cannot have corruption in heaven!

9. Return - In eternal terms his coming is soon.

10. Revelation - The Holy Spirit can give anyone an understanding and an illuminated mind.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Anna!

You have so many questions that you might want to prepare for this thread going all over the place. But I will try to answer briefly several of them.

This is a very heady debate. The first thing I would tell you here is that if you are not inclined to open your mind to creationism you probably won't. But there are a BUNCH of members here in the creation/evolution board that would go into big time scientific detail with you on the case for creationism.

Because they are His ultimate creation, whom the earth and universe were created for. We are the desire of His heart. Those who love Him completely of their own free will are going to become the objects of His affection and blessings throughout all eternity.

Freewill. The angels have freewill as well, to this very day. In His plan, He knew He would run the risk of there being those who rejected Him and those who received Him. This is why humans who love Him will be so greatly rewarded. Btw, we under greater sufferings in this life than angels, and without seeing Him face to face so that we know for certain He exists. This is why our rewards will be even greater than that of the angels in eternity.

Same reasons. Enduring evils becomes a test to see if we truly love and trust Him.

Same reasons. If God revealed Himself in power, all the earth would worship Him. But most would do so only out of fear, secretly despising Him in their hearts. Thus, this life becomes a test to find out who truly loves Him and trusts Him, and who does not.

He's interested in all people. This was revealed to the New Testament leaders when He poured our His Spirit on the Gentiles as well. The door is open for everyone now. The Jews were just His chosen people through whom He would be born into this world (among several other reasons that are more complicated to explain).

It's a tragic thing, but the wicked will make the most foolish of choices. God created Hell for the Devil and his angels. And he has warned humanity to believe Him that Hell is real, and to receive redemption through His Son to escape that torment. But most still reject Him, and if they choose of their own freewill to reject Him they are still created as eternal spirits. They will not be able to abide in Heaven, a place where you must love God with all your heart, so they will be sent to where they can spend eternity with those who rejected God. Only there they will be given over into the hands of evil in its purest form.

The long-suffering of God (2 Peter 3:8-9). He is waiting so as to draw as many as possible unto Himself before Judgement finally has to come. He wants Heaven to be filled to capacity with those who love Him.
10. I'm not sure why God would only give one person a revelation about the future.

Ha Ha! That one only seems true, Anna. All the Old Testament prophets prophesied about the future as well, and by that I mean things that are still future.
Now that Satan must know what God plans for him why would he still go ahead with what God wants?

Because he is evil. He's not like you and I who can be evil one minute and nice to others the next. He has ONE nature, just as God and our Lord Jesus Christ have one nature. As those who have had visions of being taken taken to Hell in spirit with Him have testified, even as He looks upon the damned in their sufferings and talks to them, tears are rolling down His eyes for knowing what they could have been but rejected Him instead.

If you have questions on what I said, please ask. You seem like you are genuinely seeking, and I pray I/we can be a help to you.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
1. Existence... If E = mc2 then we can divide and conclude that...

Mass (m) = Energy (E/c2)

And there are three varieties...

Natural E/c2 - All mass is basically cooled plasma
Mental E/c2 - Mentally, A mathematical formula, but this has chemical and spiritual properties as well.
Spiritual E/c2 - E (motivation, warmth, love) / c2 (faith, hope, charity, joy)

God can dis-associate the mass into plasma, and the plasma back to mass however to his will and liking. E/c2 can not be created or destroyed, but it can change form. God also cannot be created or destroyed, he can manipulate the energy and light to his will and to his liking.

2. Creation - When God said, "Let there be light" it should not be hard to imagine the mass turning into plasma energy.

3. Concern - As three is the number of perfect union, so there are three groups of angels led by the arch angels Lucifer, Michael, and Gabriel. Lucifer, which means light bearer, rebelled and took his angels with him. This universe was created in response to that rebellion. We humans are created to replace the vacated third, which is why there is so much concern.

4. Evil - Result of Lucifers rebellion, but God has promised us a new heaven and a new earth, and invites us to suffer this life out.

5-7. Christianity - It is now worldwide. With Christ we have access to the blessings of Israel.

8. Hell - Cannot have corruption in heaven!

9. Return - In eternal terms his coming is soon.

10. Revelation - The Holy Spirit can give anyone an understanding and an illuminated mind.

How to hear from God for yourself in metaphor to the old Hebrew Temple...

1. Outer Gates - Faith - We enter in by faith
2. Altar - Salvation - Christ is our sacrifice
3. Laver - "Sanctification makes us pure in heart" - William Seymour - Architect of this doctrine
4. Table of Shewbread - Growing daily in the Word of God - I prefer the KJV
5. Lampstand - Menorah - Christian character, grace, fruit, etc.
6. Golden Incense Altar - Prayer and praise
7. Holy of Holies - The Shekinah Glory and Baptism in the Holy Spirit *William Seymour warned that, “Whenever the doctrine of the baptism in the Holy Ghost will only be known as the evidence of speaking in tongues, that work will be an open door for witches and spiritualist and free loveism. That work will suffer because all kinds of spirits can come in.”

It is in the Holy of Holies where God spoke to Moses...

And when Moses was gone into the tabernacle of the congregation to speak with him, then he heard the voice of one speaking unto him from off the mercy seat that was upon the ark of testimony, from between the two cherubims: and he spake unto him. - Numbers 7:89

It was in the Holy of Holies that God spoke to Moses. It is also the place where you can hear from him too!

• Prayers
Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

we have a finite existence. so it is hard for us to comprehend something like that because God has a different type of existence than we do. God is not flesh and blood like you and me, He is a Spirit.

we're not sure what that is, even. the five senses can't even detect spirit. that's one reason God doesn't' seem real to people. we do know that we have form of God, so in that way we know what He is shaped like.

understood.

they say the earth is around 4.5 billion years old and the bible can only be traced back 6,000 years or so. read the first two verses of genesis 1 and i think we can find some answers there.

Genesis 1:1-2(NKJV)
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (don't know how long ago this was)
2The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

there was time in between verse 1 and 2 and that may have been 4 billion years or so ago. it would eat up to much real estate in this post to give the detail explanation but there is one.

God is reproducing Himself through man and earth is the "test bed". after that those in the kingdom to come could be given like their own galaxy and things. the potential is enormous for man. God has great thing in store for those who love Him. that' why we were created in His image, only in the physical sense. and the creation of man is not complete!

God did not create robots. He created sentient beings. He's has life and He has life to give. and He wanted to create beings who would enjoy their own individualism and at that would allow the created being to make his own choices. you see that now, you have the right to do anything you want and God won't hinder you.

that comes to completing part of man being created. man has to develop character, IOWs, man must have time and experience to do so. the suffering is allowed to show us what it is like to live apart from Him. it's hard for Him to see what we do on this earth - see john 3:16. but He has a plan for it all.

God was willing to show man everything, but it was man who turned from God, hence, God stepped back and essentially said to man "go on, with yo bad self".
again, through reading the early genesis account, it seems that the only people on earth who would listen to God back then were the ancestors of the israelites.
He won't! God is love and if one doesn't want to roll with God they will just be dead for all eternity. death by fire. this is done so that one won't have to be miserable forever.
there are prophesies that are still in place that have to happen and then He WILL return.

because he can't help himself. angels, and that's what satan is, are spirit beings and they look nothing like God or man. they were created before man, but they too needed time to form character. but once their character was formed it cannot change. their charcter is set forever and those where on "the other side of the fence" when it set it cannot change now. some stayed loyal to God and some are on the side of the fence with satan. so satan feeds his selfishness even though he knows.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello Anna.

The scripture tells us that God is Spirit, this means that God is not a natural entity, thus God is not restrained by natural laws. God is beyond the limitations of anything physical, observable, or even knowable. God is not subject to time or space, God is not a defined scientific entity.

It appears that the early chapters of Genesis were obviously written after the Exodus of the Jews from Egypt. That is why we have God creating everything in six days and then having a Sabbath rest.

I see it more as a history of the Jews, that is why the emphasis is on the patriarchs, the twelve tribes of Israel. I have no doubt that there is faint blueprint of an authentic creation account, within the text of Genesis, though there is an overlay of Jewish legal, and creative authorship. Adam existed, Noah existed, and Abraham existed, yet they are hidden in this Jewish patriotic saga.

3. I have difficulty comprehending why an omnipotent and omniscient God would want to create such a vast universe but be so concerned by the behavior of humans.

I think the answer is simply that we were created in His image, so we are very important in his eyes. It may be possible that God also created other civilizations in this universe, but the Bible only concerns itself with humanity. To understand God's fixation with humanity, you would need to comprehend an endless love that God alone possesses.

God did not create Satan as an evil entity, Satan rebelled and became evil. All good things are from God, all evil is but the result of rebellion against God.

Soon the evil and suffering will all come to an end, just be patient it is a temporary affliction. When we die it ends, when Christ returns it ends, either way the end is near.

There can be no doubt that the messianic prophecies littered through the scripture, accurately predicted the revelation of the Christ. The Christ arrived and fulfilled the prophecies as was written, this was obviously true.

God became a man, walked, talked, and lived with us, then we crucified Him. If you spend a few years with your focus purely on Jesus, you will see the surpassing revelation that is this eternal truth. The Christ is the powerful truth of everything.

God had to choose a nation for the expressed purpose of demonstrating the inherent problem that mankind has. Israel received the written law, the law revealed that man was evil and needed punishment. God then sent the solution for Israel's problem, i.e., Jesus Christ. I thank God that He chose Israel and not my own nation, A complex story overall but a deeply profound revelation of the love of God for the nation of Israel. Ultimately the story of Israel is the shadow of the Christ in immense detail.

I do not understand this aspect of Christianity, I have never understood this teaching. I seriously doubt that the punishment for anyone could be never ending, something is obviously wrong. I have no doctrine on this point.

Perhaps to remove any possible doubt that mankind is utterly selfish to the core. Mankind displays throughout human history, not the slightest trace of love towards his fellow man. We know that God is love. So God is allowing man to carry even the truth of Jesus Christ, and further proving that mankind cannot behave, even when holding the eternal truth of Jesus Christ.

The reason that every head will be bowed when Jesus returns is because no one ever behaved themselves.

Not sure what your question is asking?

Satan is deeply self deceived, Satan more than likely, does not even believe what God has said will happen to him. Much the same as we don't fully believe that God will punish us in any way.

I would like to give you a warning, God is very, very clever, God has already revealed the Christ in the scripture. This revelation is the signature of God Himself and hidden within a an old book.

To reject Jesus requires an explanation for the deeply evil behavior of humanity.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anto9us

Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Anna, you have listed SO MANY good questions, but this one I quote -- sincere Christians disagree among themselves how much is allegorical, literal, figurative, etc -- in the TWO Genesis creation accounts

The Bible is not a science textbook.

Neither is it a history textbook.

It's a book of spiritual matters.

Your questions are good questions.

It is God who will DRAW you to answers, I can't type neat explanations from here in Texas to an atheist in UK, wouldn't know where to begin.

Peace.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Anna. To understand Christians I recommend two things.

1. Read our Scriptures

2. Come watch us worship God in church.

Hang around after the worship and sermon and many of your questions should be answered.

Hope this helps. Seems like you have a knack for investigation. Best way to investigate is go to the source.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Anna! I like that you are exploring these matters with an open mind!

The battle we have, is once we begin to receive answers to our questions, we have to keep our mind open while also not dismissing reasonable truths. This is where our passions and desires get involved. Another possible way is a person can accept an answer that is not true and once they have committed to that view, they cannot really accept a more truthful view when it later becomes available to them. A lot of Christians become that way, which is essentially pride.

There is many false doctrines among Christians these days, things that don't really make good logical sense, but they are popular, so Christians feel compelled to believe them because they assume that they are part of Christianity. That too is a closing of the mind from exploring for the ultimate truth!

I just say this to caution you, because if you always only believe that which satisfies your conscience and do not reject an inconvenient truth that your conscience will condemn you for, then your beliefs will always be your most honest opinion and you will have no condemnation from your conscience. This is all that God needs from us, and He can complete our salvation with that :)

There is a terrible reality though, that not all spirits in Christianity these days are holy (1 John 4:1, 2 Peter 2:1-2). They try to make God's character look different from who He really is, so that we become frightened of this wrathful blood thirsty judge who wants us to follow all sorts of rules. Following rules that way is like a regimented work-based religion that ultimately leads us away from the fullness of freedom that comes by knowing and living the truth.

.. So, you're starting in a good place! :oldthumbsup:
Ah! I like your style! Top challenge up front.. no holds barred ;)

Time is a consequence of change. Without change, there can't possibly be a concept of time.

When a human measures time, he conceives it based upon his expected lifetime (say 80 years). He knows that there is x amount of expected time in the vitality of his body to reproduce and to secure shelter and food supply before he becomes too weak, and then expires. He knows that there is a cyclical pattern of hot and cold seasons, and that he must gather enough food during the hot season to make it through the cold season. Because he conceives of time in this way, he looks for constant patterns to measure his performance so that he can make intelligent decisions in order to control the outcome at the end of his activity.

A fly on the other hand, doesn't live more than a few weeks, so it has no concept of seasons - cycles of earth around the sun. His concept of time according to his lifespan could only be measured by the light and darkness of a day cycle.

So consider how an immortal spirit can conceive of time, given that a year could be as a blink of an eye from His perspective, and He would measure patterns that we humans probably don't yet know about. Then consider, if the universe is always changing, was there a time when it wasn't changing? We just do not know the answer to that question, because we are all mortal and we weren't there in the first place to observe it.

Even so, if we are to consider that the universe did one day come into being from previously not being, then that is a change that God has observed. Is there a reason we might have, to imagine that there was not changes in His observation before this universe came to exist? .. and then, how far back should we continue on this path?

You can see, this is a philosophical question that cannot possibly produce a robust conclusion, and we can only ever speculate unless He is to give us the answer. For this reason, I will recommend to not make unreasonable objections that impact your ability to draw near to Him. The fact that I do not today possess a definite answer without speculation does not mean that a day will never come that provides that information to me. Also, it could be that you would come to have this answer before I do, and then you could share it with me!

I most strictly will not encourage you to trust a speculation though. If an answer can't be given then it shouldn't be forged.
Be careful with this. There is two points I have to make about this:

Nobody knows who wrote the first few chapters of Genesis and where he got his information from. It has only three possible origins:

1. Adam and Eve may have originally witnessed and conveyed this information through generations, even using some written form of record that does now not exist.
  2. It may have been camp fire mythology that became so central to the Jewish faith that they wrote it matter of fact-ly.
  3. It may have been divinely orated (ie, the writer might have obtained this knowledge through prayer or divine instruction).

Whichever origin is the real truth, it has a huge impact upon the value of the content of the text. Therefore, if someone is to assume that one origin is the true origin, they are being intellectually dishonest and they are innately untrustworthy. They are making their beliefs overcome their conscience and therefore their beliefs are dictating the truth, which really, we should only ever allow truth to form our beliefs. These ones are risking dishonour if one of the other two possible origins will come to be known. This is why whenever I draw conclusions from those texts, I will make sure that my conclusion is compatible with all three possible scenarios. If there is a useful conclusion that can only apply to one of those scenarios, I will either make sure this is clear, or I will be less adamant and more speculative to intentionally remain honest.

The other point is that the writer of Genesis used ancient Hebrew, which has a different language construct from modern English. For this reason, the fullness of the original message isn't well conveyed through English translations. I have found an article that I remember on Christian Forums that explains this well. Basically, the proper way to read it is that God began doing a new work on each day. But the English translations make it sound as though He completed the work on that day, which is misleading from the original message. Lots of English Christians have been seriously misled into a false spirit of denying the obvious: that creation was a work of time. They are the ones who oppose evolution, whereas to read Genesis in context of it's original meaning, is compatible with a concept of intelligent design that has evolved.

This is the article I mentioned: Hebrew Genesis 1
Can you explain this a bit more for me? I don't fully understand what you are asking for in this.
It is humans that created Satan, when they chose to disobey God. It is interesting that Satan is only a title for "the one who opposes". There has been many manifestations of Satan ever since the fall. Satan is always looking to possess instruments for destruction. He is essentially thought of as the opposite to God who created us. He is a spirit of deceit and destruction, whereas God is a spirit of truth and life. God created us as a spirit of truth and life, but He did not create Satan. His original view was to make a species of human that was impervious to sin. He gave us only one instruction, and then the watchers (the angels in charge of tending humanity) decided to test the human, to see if he would be loyal to God. The human failed miserably and immediately the spirit of truth and life left them, they had been filled with fear and destruction (hence they were hiding from God, assuming that He would be angry that they had fallen).

They had forgotten His true nature, and they had believed a corrupted perspective of the true nature of God: they had thought that they couldn't trust Him, because in their hearts, sin had come to reside. The watchers too were tempted by this opportunity to oppose God (Genesis 6:2), and being immortal, they have been trapped in the direction of their discourse (Jude 1:6). It is a corrupted view of God that dominates the minds of the people these days: sin is what demands punishment (wrath) and cannot forgive until a penalty is imposed. Humans have been living with this mindset ever since the fall, because holiness is foreign to a fallen race. It is only when we are born again, that we can have the true knowledge of God's character restored. But keep in mind too, that many people actually receive a false gospel that doesn't grow in them to a full knowledge of God's true character (that is love) - consider Matthew 13:1-23.
I wonder if you can suggest a preferable solution? I still haven't heard a satisfactory answer to that. There is always the possibility of a final comet, if He should happen to look upon the earth and never see a person like Noah (consider Genesis 6:5-8). It is because He still can see some hope in humanity that He allows the suffering to continue. But, He doesn't have delight in the death of the wicked (Ezekiel 33:11), and the reason the wicked ones aren't yet destroyed, is because:

a) Wicked spirits do not wish to destroy their valuable troops.
b) God's harvest has not yet become ripe (have a look at this parable: Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 13:24-43 - Tree of Life Version, especially notice verse 40).
He is making it more obvious by the day! Do you know how far the antichrist has been established in the churches by now? You will be shocked when you learn of it!

Consider how 1 Corinthians 14:33 and Matthew 6:24 don't describe churches at all. The modern churches are not at all what Jesus sought to establish. There was a very early apostasy where false teachers began teaching Christianity because they had some successful charisma. They did not follow the truth, they did not listen to the voice of The Holy Spirit. They opened the floodgates for the devil to enter Christianity.

St. Paul wrote in 2 Thessalonians 2:1-3 that this would culminate in an absolute falling away. All the original apostles wrote of the false teachers coming among them. This is the meaning of the parable in Matthew 13:24-43, where Jesus and His apostles sowed good seed, but an enemy came and sowed weeds among them. Jesus said that the world would know His true disciples by the love that we have for one another. So if you keep this in mind, you'll be able to perceive that some people appeal with flattery and deceit and they become very defensive when you poke into the uncomfortable areas of their weaknesses. A few, the genuine ones who love truth enough, they will admit that you have a fair point in correcting them, and you will find The Holy Spirit in them through doing so (consider John 3:19-21, James 4:6).
It goes back to Abraham, who demonstrated an amazing faith in God (the type of faith that God wants the world to hold as a model for His blessing). The Jewish people inherited this promise through the son that Abraham had to his wife when she was 90 years of age (that is the faith He is talking about - it was only possible because Abraham believed Him!). That is the faith that Jesus had too. There is very little of that degree of faith in the world these days, but I have seen that it is increasing.

2,000 years ago though, the Jews were so caught up in their beliefs that they actually could not accept the truths that Jesus brought against them. They loved their beliefs more than the truth. They chose to crucify Jesus on the cross in the name of God, to prove to the people that in the name of God they were right and He was a heretic.

Although, He was innocent of all those charges. As long as someone insists that it is right to spill innocent blood in the name of The Holy Most High God, they cannot be innocent themselves. This is why they have been overcome by the Gentiles, the Gentiles who sought to worship God in spirit and in truth in the name of Jesus. But their days are coming to an end too, because you can see that they no longer worship in spirit and in truth, and so many of them even claim that Jesus' blood was spilled to pay the price for their sin, so that they are actually expecting to somehow demand their way into heaven without making a perfect effort to repent. Yes: the majority of Christians still oppose the truth vehemently when it convicts them, showing that they really are not worshipping in spirit and truth - they only want to believe that they will go to heaven, and the antichrist has given them the false assurance they need. Any word of truth that threatens that false sense of security provokes them to wrath, pride, discrimination and hate - the very same energy that sent Jesus to the cross!

Consider how 1 John 4:1 is saying this, because it is real and it's been happening for 2,000 years already!

It is prophesied in Zechariah 12:10 that the Jews will eventually recognise the resurrected spirit of Jesus Christ and they will submit to Him, remorsefully accepting that indeed He is Messiah. Until they do, the kingdom of God is missing their enduring faith and love, and they are missing the righteousness that repentance will bring them.
It is not God that wants to do this, it is the devil. God is not our enemy, He is for us. He has given so much for us, and it is ours if we will receive it (Revelation 2:7). We need to be wise to the devil's tactics and strong in our conviction of His goodness. Do not be so easily misled by those who themselves are misled (Matthew 15:14, Matthew 23:15). Jesus spoke strong words against the corrupt religious leaders when He was on earth. Sometimes strong words are needed in our day too. But heart and tenacity is not everything we need for The Kingdom's success, although that is what will win for you. You also need to know the scriptures well, in order to be fully equipped for His service.
He could only teach us if we were prepared to learn. But He tried for three years, with perfect grace and many miracles, and they refused to humble themselves to Him so as to place Him on the throne of David in the right spirit. They eventually drew violence upon Him in their blindness, and He had to choose whether to destroy them (Matthew 26:53).

But He has started work, and He has more to do for it to be finished. This is the real substitution of the resurrection and baptismal covenant: He reigns from heaven while we speak His words on earth. Luke 9:23, John 18:36.
I don't know what you are meaning by saying this, can you please clarify?

You're really doing a great investigation, Anna! I encourage you to press right on, and accept no answer unless it really does fit well with you. There's a heap of deception out there, it is impossible for anyone to know Christianity these days without having been misled by the antichrist to some extent. Jesus said "If you keep my commandments, then you truly are my disciple. You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free". So it is all about getting to know Him, the one who is resurrected and who reigns from heaven while we speak for Him on earth :)

Welcome to Christian Forums! I hope it fulfils your needs of it! :wave::wave::wave:

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green

Anna, I am praying for you. I am praying that Jesus Christ will show you His amazing love.

I agree with @redleghunter -

(1) Read our Scriptures
Although it is a collection of 66 books, written by 40 or more different men over a period of 2,000 years, it is clearly one Book, with perfect unity and consistency throughout. We have copies of the manuscripts and throughout history these copies show that the Bible has been transmitted accurately. Despite common skeptical claims that the Bible has often been changed through the centuries, the physical evidence tells another story. The New Testament records are incredibly accurate. There are minor differences in manuscripts, called variants, but none of these variants impact or change key Christian beliefs or claims.

Another striking evidence of divine inspiration is found in the fact that many of the principles of modern science were recorded as facts of nature in the Bible long before scientist confirmed them experimentally. A sampling of these would include:

No archeological discovery has ever contradicted a Biblical reference. Scores of archeological findings have been made which confirm in clear outline or in exact detail historical statements in the Bible.

(2) Come watch Christians worship God in a church that emphasizes putting Christian belief into action through actively loving people.

I invite you to check out the "Brand New" message series of North Point Community Church. You can find it through a Google search.

If people have eyes to see, they can know that Christ is real and his way of salvation is true. People have been profoundly changed by the glory of God in the gospel. These transformed people keep loving their enemies when they are suffering at the hands of their enemies. Multitudes of people, past and present, have found from personal experience that the promises of the Bible are true and its wonderful message of salvation meets every need.

Last edited:
Upvote 0