Some questions about Christianity

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OP, for your sake I wish to reassure you that you were blameless and entitled to your unbelief at the time of writing.

This is not biblical truth. No one is neutral. And since everyone is born in Adam, they are not blameless, they are born into sin. Nowhere will you find in the Bible that people are entitled to their unbelief.

Romans 1 says that they are without excuse for not trusting in God. John 3:17-18 says that they are already condemned. I am not passing judgment, the unbeliever is already under God's judgment.

Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
8. I don't see why God would want to punish people for eternity in Hell.

God - the divine Creator - desires to be in a loving relationship with each one of us.

God truly wants each one of us to be in a love relationship with Him.

God truly wants to give us the gift of an eternal relationship with Him.

God is the loving Father of all creation (and the loving Father of all humanity).

He does not want to punish anyone.

God is not the one who sends people to Hell.

When a person rejects God's gift of a love relationship with Him, that person chooses eternal separation from God.

Rejecting the gift of relationship with God = eternal separation from God

Eternal separation from God = Hell
Jesus.jpg

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is not biblical truth. No one is neutral. And since everyone is born in Adam, they are not blameless, they are born into sin. Nowhere will you find in the Bible that people are entitled to their unbelief.

Romans 1 says that they are without excuse for not trusting in God. John 3:17-18 says that they are already condemned. I am not passing judgment, the unbeliever is already under God's judgment.
Dear @Anna- , in this subforum the rules prevent Christians from addressing each other to discuss matters, because it is not the appropriate place for us to work things out. It is a place for those who want to learn about Christianity to get direct answers about Christianity and not to be distracted by disputes. So this thread is yours and we are meant to only address you, and only to do so for your best interests.

What I will say about brother Joe's comments here, I will say only to you for your sake for that reason.

You know within yourself whether your unbelief in post #3 was owed to the suppressing of truths, and I perceived in your heart when you wrote, that this was genuinely not the case. I feel it necessary to ensure that you are aware that Romans 1:18 stipulates that this conscious opposition to truth is necessary before the passage can apply to you.

If you will study what that passage is saying, you will find in Romans 1:21 that St Paul is describing a type of people who once knew God and yet they did not think it valuable to retain the knowledge of God. I do not believe that this describes you though, because you are coming from a place where you have not yet known God.

So, I certainly would not have thought to apply that passage to your situation just yet. Your conscience would testify though whether it is right to do so or not.

Also as far as John 3:18 goes, it is important to note that in order for one to disbelieve, they first need to have heard (Romans 10:14). Just as the next three verses state: "This is the basis for the judgement: those who do evil hate the light and refuse to go near it for fear their deeds will be exposed. Whereas those who practise the truth come to the light so that it can be made known that their deeds are wrought in God's sight".

I recognised in your post #3 that you were not actually rejecting any knowledge, but that you were actively pursuing to gather sufficient knowledge to determine whether it is right to have belief. This indicates to me that you were more of the type described in John 3:21 than John 3:20. For this reason, I also would not have thought to apply John 3:18 as a judgement against you, and again, your conscience will testify to you as the truth of your innocence or guilt.

Also, we should recognise that a large part of your investigation is to undo the misleading perceptions of Christianity that have been installed through Film and Television, where inaccuracies, jokes and selective reporting have given you (as to all in this age) an impression of Christianity that actually doesn't properly represent it.

The false impressions through these influences have probably produced some rightful tendency of scepticism and disbelief on your part, where they have constructed a strawman view of Christianity. That strawman of Christianity might appear in your view to be less credible than what Christianity really is, and your investigations should reveal that.

Sadly, a lot of Christians also come to believe misleading ideas of Christianity, and without really scrutinising their beliefs, they will propagate those errors with the appearance and sincerity of one who is credible to do so, thereby misleading others in Jesus' name with ideas that didn't come from Jesus at all :sigh:

.. So, your faith really is for you to work out between yourself and God, and while we are able to offer words of our experience that might be helpful to you, ultimately it is your responsibility to stick to the truth and to retain full authority of your convictions, not conceding to peer pressure or popular opinion if it doesn't quite rest well with your conscience. Truth will always make good logical sense and the truth of Christianity will always go well with the conscience of one who loves righteousness - although this cannot be said about some of the heretical Christian doctrines.

.. which brings me to mention this heretical doctrine suggesting children are born depraved and sinful (Jude 1:8, Mark 10:14-15). You can find some really good information by Google searching this:

children born sinners - Google Search
orignal sin heresy - Google Search

Eg:
Are We Born Sinners?
Are We Born Sinners? - Mike Miller

.. and if you look at how various bibles have translated Psalms 51:5 compared to a direct interlinear translation, you will see how deeply ingrained this doctrine has become in modern culture, that even the translators themselves cannot but choose words to promote this view, even though it is not actually said this way in the original text!

The basic fact is, that a child learns it's behaviours from the society around it - not the other way round as pride dictates! Children are pure to begin with, and it is the world that corrupts them. It takes time to corrupt a person too, depending on the levels of corruption it is exposed to. St. Paul mentioned this in Romans 7:9. This is how Romans 5:12 has said that sin entered the world through one man and it then spread to all.

I trust that you're enjoying your studies into our pursuit of Christ-likeness and learning some interesting things! :wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to go with 2(with a little 3) and 8 since those two seem to be of greater interest to you.

2(with 3)Genesis and science.
The creation and early account of Genesis is actually 3 different works that are put together. When God communicates to someone He communicates within the realm of their understanding. So we can't expect such an ancient account to correspond to our modern expectations of terminology and cultural language.

About a month ago I decided to read Genesis literally. Not like you might think though. I wanted to read it in Hebrew, and I wanted to read it without using tradition and expectations to inform my understanding of it. I also compared the account to the geological and evolutionary time line that we have. What I discovered was this. The contradictions that arise from the text are dependent upon interpretation of the text. For example the Young Earth interpretation of the text is contradictory to scientific knowledge, however the book of Genesis does not give a day in which the earth was made. Additionally if you look at the language used with a mind to ancient understanding the order of creation is not mismatched with the geological and biological time line. The greatest hindrance here being the fourth day where in English it appears that the luminaries are made. However the language of this section does not give the idea of creation, but a bringing forth. Think of it like an apple tree. You plant it one day, many years later it becomes what you intend for it, a fruit bearing tree. This is exactly what we see in the geological time line because the sun grew in intensity and the moon moved away from the earth until it reached a resonance point which set our 24hr day.

That brings me to number 3. Genesis doesn't describe the creation of everything. It describes the "preparation" of everything. The stars, the kinds of life, the luminaries. All that was done was done for one purpose...you. Everything in the heavens he set as "signs and... seasons...days and years. Everything was for us, that might seem improbable, but consider that Christ also died for all of us.

3. Hell
Many Christians, like myself, belief in Annhilationism. That is the idea that after judgement, those who rejected the revelation of God that they received will die the second death. That is the death of the soul. It is just as scripturally valid as eternal hell.

Upvote 0

lastofall

Aug 6, 2016
Germany
✟30,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1. "now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known" (1 Corinthians 13:12)
2. "Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear." (Hebrews 11:3)
3. "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure [purpose] they are and were created." (Revelation 4:11)
4. "Ye that love the Lord, hate evil." (Psalms 97:10)
5. "That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ. (1 Peter 1:7)
6. "But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth." (Matthew 12:39-40)
7. "we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews." (John 4:22)
8. "Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil." (Ecclesiastes 8:11)
9. "there shall come in the last days scoffers [mockers], walking after their own lusts..And saying, Where is the promise of his coming?..For this they willingly are ignorant of..(2 Peter 3:3-5)
10. "because he knoweth that he hath but a short time." (Revelation 12:12)

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟238,144.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not very knowledgeable about Christianity. I'm looking for some answers from Christians explaining their beliefs and answering my questions. Honestly I don't reject Christianity, It's just currently I don't believe in it.

The big picture can be like this;

God has a plan to create an eternity we call heaven angels and humans (entities with freewill) to live with Him forever. In order to live with Him the sin-incompatible God, angels and humans must be holy as God is holy. It means that in the end, a group of entities with freewill will live with Him while another group will sin to leave Him. This is an expected result of freewill.

Those with Him will thus be in Heaven while those not with Him will be in a place isolated from God. Hell is the most natural environment without anything from God. God knows everyone including Satan before creation. However, a fair and just God will have to allow entities with freewill to show themselves up who they are before they can be judged openly in the final judgment. That is to say, everyone including Satan has the right to exercise his freewill before the coming of the final judgment in which everyone will be given a fair judgment openly.

God knows everything but only after the open judgment that He can legitimately condemn the wicked and bring the righteous to Heaven.

You are under the influence of secular education since childhood, thus have a twisted view of what science actually is. Science is all about how thing repeat under a set of rules/laws. Strictly speaking, the Big Bang Theory is not a science unless you can make it repeat, then to observe and conclude. It's rather a history but studied by scientists as humans are curious about this history while the scientists are the only qualified human historians to study this subject.

That is to say, if you are willing to step out of your prejudice gained by education it's not difficult to spot the validity of Christianity. God will not make it more obvious than it should simply because humans today (and future) will have to rely on faith to be saved. Humans have no chance to be saved if God is evidenced.

God will be known to humans when,

Revelation 10:7 (NIV2011)
But in the days when the seventh angel is about to sound his trumpet, the mystery of God will be accomplished, just as he announced to his servants the prophets.

When you watch TV or listen to radio for daily news, you don't ask for evidence of each piece of news. You trust the reporters/journalists with faith to get to the truth of each piece of news. In a similar fashion, God made use dedicated prophets to be His eye-witnesses for the world to get to His truth. God has ever used the Jews (Israel) as a whole as His eye-witnesses, and for the world today to get to His truth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0