U. S.
✟11,299.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
1. I find it difficult to comprehend how God could always exist.

I'm not sure what you mean, so I'll just explain my understanding of the existence of God, and I'll ask that you tell me if I helped in some way. So, the Word of God says that God is eternal: He has always existed, still exists, and always will exist; He has no beginning and no ending; no creator or maker, for He, like Christ Jesus, was and is and is to come. I believe that He has always been. Not sure I answered your question, but I hope i helped in some way.

2. I find it difficult to match the Genesis creation account to what I consider pretty sound scientific evidence.

This is more of a personal belief than anything else. Do you choose to interpret Genesis literally or not? If literally, then you'll go with a creation account of six twenty-four hour days. If not, then you must find out for yourself what a "day" is. A thousand years? More? I personally have no real answer to this, as i haven't figured out for myself yet what i believe about it. This I know: God made the heavens and the earth. I know that, and therefore I don't need immediate answers.

3. I have difficulty comprehending why an omnipotent and omniscient God would want to create such a vast universe but be so concerned by the behaviour of humans.

We are God's creation, made for His glory to do His will and glorify Him. He is king over all, and we must respect that and come to serve Him. He gave up His Son to spare us from His justice, which would be our death unless someone saved us. He did this by His love to His glory when we were held prisoner to Sin and Death: washed us with His Son's blood. When we are washed with His blood, we are ransomed from Sin and Death. We we prisoners to Sin and the penalty thereof: death; nevertheless God, by and in His love for us, paid our ransom with the blood. It was His love. He so loved mankind that He paid our price. Death has no more dominion over us, for we are free (I am speaking as a christian, describing christians). We were made to understand this about God, and to love Him for us. Moreover, in His love for us He blesses us on earth with many things: money, wives/husbands, children, fun, joy, and more.

It's clear that God loves us, but why? By His love, to His glory. We were made to love Him and glorify Him. That is why we exist. We were made to worship Him and to love Him. We don't deserve His love or salvation, but He gives it anyways. Why? In His love, to His glory. He is bothered with us because He loves us and wants us to glorify Him. He is worthy of this glory and worship, considering that He gave up His only Son for us so that He could avoid punishing us. For we are sinners: we have been hateful to others, we have been perverting the creation of God for self-pleasure (e.g., lusting after people that aren't married to ourselves, committing adultery and fornication with one another, accepting LGBT as ok even though God's Word says it's wrong, etc.), lied (as if that was ok); so many of us are filled with unjust rage and anger; maliciousness, spite, evil pride; claiming to be good and then outright acting the opposite. There is more, but I need not say more unless you wish. The point is this: men are just naturally evil. They don't act like God does, and thus, they rob Him of His glory. So this is a crime: to rob God of the glory that is rightfully His. This is the judgment for the crime: justice; God's vengeance. This is the crime: sin. This is the punishment for sin: eternal fire. Now God offers a way out of punishment: Christ Jesus, who's blood ransoms us from Sin and Death (For He who sins is a slave to Sin (John 8:34), and the penalty thereof is found in Deuterononomy 27:26: "Cursed are those not upholding the commands in this book of the Law in order to do them".). He offers blessings, joy, happiness, honor, life, fellowship with Him (He calls us "friends"), fellowship with others, eternal life of happiness; no more suffering, pain, or tears. I'm a poor person to try and make the gifts of God more appealing, but I can't put it into words--and I won't get started on the Holy Spirit. God will put a living being inside of you as a gift: the Holy Spirit. He will come as a bright, white light and you will feel Him, and He will come in you. The Spirit will show you visions, do miracles through you, give you joy, love you, be your friend, make you act godly by His power granted to Him; and He will never leave you. Drink this living water by coming to Christ, as it is written, "He who comes to me will never thirst, but rivers of living water will flow from him" (John 7:38). This water is the Holy Spirit, which is made clear in the next verse: "By this He meant the Holy Spirit" (John 7:39).

Now God offers this to mankind, and mankind has the audacity to reject it. Why, their Father gave them a plate of kings, and they threw it on the floor to eat worms! God gives men all the good they could even want, but they choose evil instead. It's a shame. Indeed, it angers God, for His kindness was met with hostility. So the punishment increases; for knowledge increases guilt when one sins with it. Amen.

8. I don't see why God would want to punish people for eternity in Hell.

I moved this one up because of its relation to my paragraph above^. As I said, God loves men. However, men don't love God. They hate the one who will give them the world--literally and metaphorically. The answer to this is found in Ezekiel 18:

"'Do I take pleasure in the death of the wicked?"

asks the sovereign Lord;
''Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways, and live?" (Ezekiel 18:23).

Therefore I can't say God wants men to go to hell, but men refuse to come to God through Christ; the punishment for the treason against this King is high, amen. Nevertheless, It's never too late for the ones who will come to God. As said above^, "'Do I take pleasure in the death of the wicked? Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways, and live?'" Man gets all they could want, and God gets the glory that's His.

4. I'm not sure why God created Satan when he would have known how evil he would be.

10. I'm not sure why God would only give one person a revelation about the future. Now that Satan must know what God plans for him why would he still go ahead with what God wants?

5. I don't understand why God continues to allow evil and suffering to exist.

These three belong together, in my opinion. God has a will, and that will includes satan. Men are evil, and a punishment for this evil is, well, more evil. As a punishment for men choosing evil over good, God allows evil spirits to wreck havoc on the evildoers. Is God unjust? God forbid! It was a judgment for evil. Now God allows evil to exist. This is no secret. Why? Because of this: His glory. How do you know? What if God, to His glory, decided to allow Job to suffer, in order to bring him good? How do you know? What if God chose to allow suffering to come upon you ten times, only to demonstrate His power in bringing you through it that many times? God is glorified through this, and you are made stronger through His trials that He gives you. Now is He wrong for this? No; men deserve worse for their sins. This is God's discipline or training. We are made through hardships. We learn the folly of sin through discipline (sin results in seperation from God and brings curses to us, which is hardships or loss). We are made strong for God through our suffering, to His glory.

Now someone will ask, "Why are there so many starving children in the world then? Why doesn't God feed them?" My answer is this: "Why are you grumbling? Go and feed them. Do something with the things that God gave you. You will glorify God through this, and we are supposed to glorify Him in all we do, as it was said by Paul the apostle." Therefore men condemn themselves when they speak against God on account of the poor, for God has given men the ability to help the poor (and many times throughout the old testament, God Has spoken favorably of those who help the poor, even commanding them at times, I believe, to help them).

God also allows other evils, such as terrorists, Muslims, etc., to exist so that He may use them as the instruments of His wrath. He does this. He forms light, and darkness. He causes good and evil. To the glory of and for the sake of His own Name. God's name is more than just the four letters and three vowles in Hebrew. His reputation, character, authority, and purpose are also a part of His "Name". His character is what I want you to draw your attention to (I can support this with scripture (as with almost all I've said so far)): He is loving, compassionate, and forgiving. However, He will not leave the wicked unpunished. He will have His Justice. His justice is executed through many things: evil nations, terrorists, illnesses, etc...."the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of mankind" (Romans 1:18). This is why evil exists.

If you will accept this, men still see visions today. I won't get into the visions that people have had for me (unless you want me to share them. If so, I will) but I will tell you that people still have them. Now satan has no choice but to do God's will. God says where satan can operate and how satan can operate. satan has no control or authority unless it's given to him. He has been given much authority, but is subject to the will and commands of God. He has no choice, amen. satan knows his future, and he can't change it. For the evil he's done, he will reap his reward: death. Amen.

God created satan, and allowed him to rebel. Why? Well first, is it not better to love someone because you love them, and not because you have to? Isn't that what happened at Eden? You can see here that love for God, which is expressed in obedience, wasn't the natural choice of Adam and Eve. Why would it be different for satan? However, it was God's will to allow satan, Adam, and Eve to rebel, in order to bring about the glorious salvation of Jesus Christ and to "liberate the world from its bondage to decay" (Romans 8:21).

6. I don't know why God doesn't make it more obvious that Christianity is true.

He makes it known in various ways. Christianity speaks against everything man is. Men are wicked, and God is not, and throughout the bible you can see the evil of man being spoken against by God. Is it wrong to be malicious, spiteful, prideful, unjustly angry or wrathful, murderous, violent, and more? Is it wrong to steal, murder, cheat, etc.? God speaks against this throughout His Word, the bible, and the bible says that all men (though, there are various exceptions) are evil in all the ways I've told you about. This is enough, in my opinion, to make me consider the truth of Christianity. However, God will choose to reveal Himself to those whom He chooses to reveal Himself to, and He will make them come to Him and believe all He says, just as it is written. I can give scripture for this as well, if you'd like.

7. I don't know why he places so much emphasis on the Israeli people and the Jews but seems less interested in other people.

In many places God says that not just Israel can be His people. He is just as interested in Gentiles as the Jews. The Israelites were the ones through which He would show Himself to the Gentiles; they were entrusted with the Word of God. They were and are supposed to take the Word to the Gentiles, being a light to them; for light casts out darkness, and the light given by the Jews would show the Gentiles that they were dark and needed to change, and they'd change. Thus, their darkness would be cast out by the light. Paul the apostle was a Jew who's mission was just that. He did it, and did it well. His writings still speak to many today. Jews and Gentiles are welcome to the covenant of God. Come, and He will take you in.

9. I'm not sure why Jesus is leaving his return for so long. I'm not really sure why he didn't do everything prophesied in one visit either.

Jesus is returning at an appointed time according to the will of God that even He doesn't know. Evil will be running rampant in those days, and evil is getting worse even now. He is coming soon. I believe I will be alive to see the endtimes. It's just a feeling I have, and I don't think I'm wrong. There is more about why He didn't do everything yet, but I haven't studied that yet. It's God's will that He didn't do everything, but there is more I need to study about it. In the old testament, I don't think it was never stated how many messianic comings that there would be, but only what would happen. I apologize, for I have no other help I can give on these two subjects.

If I failed to answer any of your questions, or you have more, I'm happy to answer :) If i failed to help on any subject, I apologize. May God bless, protect, guide, keep, and direct you and bring you to Him through His Son, Christ Jesus, for who and through who all things were made. Shalom

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,545.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single

2. I find it difficult to match the Genesis creation account to what I consider pretty sound scientific evidence.

hi. as for your first 2 questions:

1) what is more logical and simple to your opinion: that something always exist, or that something pop up from nothing? to me the first option is more simple.

2)this is more interesting. first: what do you mean by "scientific evidence"? if you refer to evolution i have open a new thread about it and the evidence for design here:

My favorite argument for the existence of God

have a nice day

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is a list of a few questions I have about Christianity. There are many other things I find puzzling about it but would be interested in finding out people's answers to these questions. I appreciate that lots of intelligent people have done a lot of research and believe in Christianity so I think it's important for me to learn more about it.

I hope i can offer some insights to the questions you have posted..

I find it difficult to comprehend how the universe could come into existence without a cause.... If anything exists then something has to have always existed to cause it to exist.. The universe has a start thus it needs a starting cause.. Thus something has to have existed for ever to cause the universe to come into existence.. That eternal initial cause for me is God.. A being without material form who is eternal..

If you take it literally i can see why. But if you take it symbolically it is far easier to accept.. Remember according to the bible a day to God is as a thousand years and a thousand years to God is as a day.. Therefore a day to an eternal God is how long ???? We do not know.. Remember also in the account of the creation that the first day in the universe was created on the third day of creation... Therefore the days of creation where not our physical universe days.. They where God days..

3. I have difficulty comprehending why an omnipotent and omniscient God would want to create such a vast universe but be so concerned by the behaviour of humans.

A God of such awesome abilities might simply have desired to create such an awe inspiring universe simply to inspire His Creation and show then just how awesome He is... Personally i don't think creating this massive universe is all that hard a task for an Awesome creator God... He is a God who values the beings He has created and what they believe and in whom they trust.. He understands our faulty human natures and thus understands out faulty behavour.. And has made a way to Redeem his creation irrespective of their behavour... Because salvation is based on what we believe and in what we trust.. All faulty behavour is covered / forgiven / cleared if one believes and trusts God..

4. I'm not sure why God created Satan when he would have known how evil he would be.

God must indeed value greatly creating free willed beings.. If you are going to create a free willed being then the option to rebel must be made available to them.. But if they rebel then it is their own responsibility because the decision to rebel comes from their own free will.. Satan made his free willed decision to rebel.. A decision that has eternal consequences.. In life we see that our bad decisions can have long reaching negative effects upon us.. It is not different in Eternity..

Evil and suffering exist because our ancestors Chose to join satan in his rebellion and thus we suffer the affects of being beings who have the knowledge of good and evil without having the ability to have sufficient self control to have such knowledge without it leading us to do evil and make each other suffer.. Therefore we are cursed and we are made acutely aware of our current sabotaged state of being,, As Christians we know that God has provided a solution to this mess and has created a way for His creation to be redeemed via the Way of the LORD Jesus Christ. We look forward in hope for the day when the world will be transformed by God into the perfect and good creation He created it to be.. We are at peace because we see the light at the end of this dark tunnel.. We know this evil world will come to an end.. :)

Then people who love evil and want to justify themselves in their evil desires could not deny God and this his will... Those who love the truth of the LORD Jesus Christ will be attracted to it by the power of Gods Holy Spirit.. The Way of salvation sings into the very core of our Beings.. So again pausable denial of God gives evil people the freedom to reject God and live their lives as they will to live their lives.. Those who hate the will of God can escape it for a time and live their lives as they please.. At lest God allows them a life of their choosing in this world..

7. I don't know why he places so much emphasis on the Israeli people and the Jews but seems less interested in other people.

He used the Jewish people as a vehicle to deliver his will .. He was focused on them and put up with their stiff necked ways ( Yes God called them stiff necked and it was not a compliment ) up untill the time God has completed his Message through the LORD Jesus Christ.. I encourage you to read the Bible and see just how rebellious the Jews where against God and how many times God had to intervene in their history to discipline them. And how many times the wrath of God was upon them.. God used the Jewish people as an example for the rest of the world.. He both blessed them and brought great calamities upon them Both natural and in the form of human enemies to cause them tribulation... too many people have the impression that God favoured the Jews over other people.. if one reads the Bible then one can clearly see that God truly did not consider the Jewish people as superior people to other nations..

Do you have the same problem with God gifting faulty people like Christians eternity with Him in a perfect paradise?

9. I'm not sure why Jesus is leaving his return for so long. I'm not really sure why he didn't do everything prophesied in one visit either.

Maybe God has a number in mind.. A number of people He wants to join Him in his perfect eternal existence and that number has been gradually building over the generations.. Maybe at the moment that the number He wants in reached then he will quickly return and gather in the crop of souls that will be with Him in eternity ... Maybe this will take another 40 generations??? God knows..

2 Peter 3: KJV
"Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, {4} And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. {5} For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: {6} Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: {7} But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. {8} But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day."

10. I'm not sure why God would only give one person a revelation about the future. Now that Satan must know what God plans for him why would he still go ahead with what God wants?

Maybe satan is deluded into thinking he can still cause the plan of God to fail ?
maybe satan knows he is doomed and like a suicide bomber simply want to take as many humans with him where he is doomed to God.. maybe in satans mind it is his way to hurt God.. By causing as many humans that god desires to be saved to be unsaved? God knows the thoughts of satan.. One day i am sure we shall discover what satan's schemes where...

• Prayers
Upvote 0

LongLiveTheChrist

Jul 19, 2017
Texas
✟9,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It is difficult to comprehend, because it's something that's not meant to be fully comprehended. It's one of the things that makes God so beautiful; His mystery, His eternality - it is sublime. In the book of Exodus, God tells Moses that His name is "I AM". He says "I AM who I AM", referring to his eternal nature. Like I said, it's not something that we can fully comprehend, as we are finite beings with a finite understanding and God is an infinite being. Infinity, by definition, never ends - there is no totality to it, therefore we can never have a total understanding of God and his eternality, as he is boundless and never-ending.

There are many Christians who don't interpret the book of Genesis literally. I am one of them. The bible contains much allegory and symbolism - the book of Revelation, for example. Even if evolution is true, that doesn't mean that God does not exist. It simply means that God is the guiding force behind evolution. And to honest, I find an old universe, billions of years old, to me more sublime and awe-inspiring than one only 7,000 years old. So many innumerable years, it is deeply spiritual, and to know that God has been there all that time and even longer, for eternity, is even more awe-inspiring.

God cares about human behavior, because human behavior is very powerful, even though most people don't realize it. We have the capacity to lean towards good or evil, in very extreme ways. Unfortunately, many people lean towards evil, but one should never underestimate the good; it is actually more powerful, as it is of God, the all-powerful.

A person who has deep love in their heart, who takes care of people in need, such as children who wander the street without parents, contains such intense beauty within them. To bring happiness to a person, it is a very beautiful and profound thing. If you really take the time to ruminate upon such love, it will make you cry, due to how beautiful it is. Christ's sacrifice was the ultimate manifestation of God's love and beauty.

Angels, like humans, have free-will. Some people can be just as evil as demons. But God, highly, values freedom. If you weren't free to choose between good or evil, you couldn't even be good; you would simply be like a robot, forced to perform certain actions. What makes one good is their will-full choice to be on the side of good, instead of evil. The triumph of good over evil. We are, as humans, faced with this combat every day. The devil was originally an angel, but he rebelled against God, for some reason, and chose to be evil. But even the devil can repent and choose to be good. Why did God create him, knowing that he would eventually become evil. I believe it's because the devil plays a role in a cosmic story. The devil tempts people to become evil, but he can't force them to, and that's because we have the ability to choose good over evil. And this choosing good over evil, this triumph of good over evil, is what makes the epic of the human condition so beautiful and glorious. It glorifies God.

A lot of the evil and suffering in the world could easily cease, if people simply decided to stop and look at the bigger picture. It is staring them right in their faces, but they don't seem to care. We could radically, if not completely, end starvation, if people, esp. rich ones, contributed some of their wealth to fighting poverty. God wants us, yes us, to do something about the suffering in the world. This is one of the reasons why we are here, to be bring light to the darkness, to glorify God through overcoming evil. This is spiritual combat and there is great glory in overcoming what is bad.

Christianity is obviously true, one simply has to take an honest look at themselves, the world, and the universe. People have misrepresented Christianity throughout the ages, unfortunately; but it has endured, irrespective of that, and that is because it truly is of God, the essence of it, the true form of it. You could intuitively sense the reality of God, if you become more spiritual. I call this state "the mystic's eye"; it is a profound, intuitive awareness of the reality of God obtained through the sheer beauty that anything even exists. This spiritual consciousness can be obtained when you slow down your mind, empty yourself of all thoughts, and just be present and observe the world around you. Also, near death experience testimonies are good evidence I point people towards. I recommend that you check out some on youtube.

The truth is that God cares about all people, regardless of their race. Yes, the Israelites have a special history with God, but that doesn't mean that God doesn't care about the rest of the world. We are all God's children.

God doesn't want to punish people. He doesn't delight in the destruction of the wicked. A lot of people think that hell is the wrath of God, but it's actually the absence of God - the absence of his love and light.

There are some schools of eschatology that hold that his return, either partially or fully, took place during the 70 AD destruction of Jerusalem. Check out "preterism" for more. Partial-preterism definitely holds some weight to it. I will probably make a thread about this sometime.

Maybe God has given other people revelations about the future, but they are simply not written down.

The devil already knows what lies ahead of him, it's no secret. He doesn't care - he just wants to cause as much destruction as possible and damn as many people to hell, as possible.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

he-man

he-man
Oct 28, 2010
usa
✟90,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is a list of a few questions I have about Christianity. There are many other things I find puzzling about it but would be interested in finding out people's answers to these questions. I appreciate that lots of intelligent people have done a lot of research and believe in Christianity so I think it's important for me to learn more about it.

Look Anna your questions are full of false teaching that are not part of Christianity. The is no literal devil, satan, evil one.

Your questions are all based on false teachings and not what the ible teaches. The only way you can learn is to read the Bible every day. The devil as a personage of evil is just that. It does not exist as a living thing but is only from superstitious myths created by Babylonians and other non-Christian nations to push people into worshipping their gods. God is the creator of all things. He controls both good and evil by allowing it to happen or by directly causing the events. Take the Numbers 21 teaching of the destruction of Egypt's first born. God personally instructed the Angels to make it happen. God created the destroying angels to bring about His purpose of the future Kingdom here on Earth. Everthing has a time and a purpose. You need to learn what the promises are to us and to Moses and the other Ancients; TO Inherit the Earth. It tells you how to pray, 'Thy Kingdom come thy will be done on Earth as it is in heaven.' The purpose will begin when God has readied this evil world for the coming Kingdom. Read the Bible and do not listen to others see for yourself. You must first ask God to accept you and if He does, then He will reveal exactly what the rrue teachings are. Seek & you will find, ask and you shall receive.

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

The concept of the infinite or the eternal certainly isn't an easy one to wrap one's head around. Nothing in our experience really matches this, our experience is that things have a beginning, and things have an end. On the other hand, we do have one example of this, and that's in mathematics, if I ask how many numbers exist, the answer is that there is an infinite number of numbers. Not only is there an infinite number of integers, both positive and negative (thus we can draw a number line forward and backward indefinitely), there are also an infinite number of numbers in between every integer. Between 1 and 2 we can have infinite real numbers: 1.1, 1.11, 1.12, 1.13, 1.2, 1.9, 1.91, 1.9000000001, 1.9000000002, ...

Incredibly vast numbers can be mind-boggling, to the point where the significance of the number becomes effectively lost because we have no proper frame of reference.

The only point here is to illustrate that it shouldn't be terribly problematic to conceive, at least in theory, of the infinite at least as an abstract concept.

There's nothing in Christianity that says one has to take the Genesis creation account(s) literally. There have always been some Christians who take them literally and some Christians who don't; among those who didn't are Origen of Alexandria, St. Augustine of Hippo, and St. Thomas Aquinas, arguably three of the greatest minds of Christian history.

There is nothing in Christian religion that says one has to reject mainstream science or naturalistic explanations of the world. And Christians have been major players in those scientific fields, such as Fr. Georges Lematrie, a Belgian priest and astronomer who was the first to propose what we know today as the Big Bang theory based on mathematical work that the universe is expanding--which Hubble later found evidence of through the observation of cosmic redshift.

In Christian teaching God is Himself relational: we confess belief in God as the Trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. As such the Christian confession "God is love" is rooted in God's own being, there was never a time when God began to love, neither has God's love been selfish--God is in His own being One who pours Himself out in love. The creative work is, in that sense, nothing other than a reflection of God being God. God cares about His creation because He loves His creation.

Equally problematic is the existence of other evil beings, most obviously, Adolf Hitler. The problem of evil wouldn't be such a complicated problem in theology and philosophy if it were easy.

See above.

Would certainly make things easier.

From the Christian perspective, the covenant promise with Israel served a larger historical-narrative purpose; as it was through God's relationship with Israel that He purposed to bring Christ into the world.

I don't either. But then I don't believe God punishes people for eternity in hell. Most Christians don't believe this. There is no universal consensus on hell in Christianity--what it is, etc--but generally speaking most Christians, from across theological and denominational lines, tend to agree that hell is not God punishing people; but that hell (whatever it is) is a result of personal choice. People choose to "go to hell", or to quote C.S. Lewis, "the gates of hell are locked on the inside."

Part of this question assumes, I think, a kind of Dispensationalist view where Jesus' return is to do a bunch of these left undone the first time. That isn't really what most Christians believe (Dispensationalism is a fringe view among Christians). In mainstream Christian teaching Christ's return brings conclusion to the present age, the resurrection of the dead and the renewal of all creation in the age to come.

By "one person" do you mean St. John of Patmos, the author of the Revelation? Well, it's also worth noting here that as I mentioned previously, most Christians aren't Dispensationalists; and further, not all Christians are Futurists. Futurism is a particular reading of the Revelation in which it predicts or foretells the "end times"; Futurism is how some Christians interpret the book, but only some. Other views include the Preterist and Historicist views, and they are found equally among Christians the world over. Speaking personally, I read the Revelation of St. John through a preterist framework: the text isn't talking about things happening at the "end of the world", but things which happened two thousand years ago during the time John wrote. Apocalyptic literature isn't meant to be taken literally, its very nature as a highly graphic and symbolic form of writing means that it is intentionally coded in symbols--and in this case it's a bit easier to talk about the Roman Empire while imprisoned on a Roman penal colony if you don't spell it out, but instead talk about a blood-thirsty prostitute named "Babylon" riding on a beast (that just so happens to have the same color associated with the Roman emperor) and that "Babylon" is a city which sits on seven hills; that just so happens to be persecuting Christians at the time.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Anna-

Jul 23, 2017
London
✟17,332.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There's nothing in Christianity that says one has to take the Genesis creation account(s) literally. There have always been some Christians who take them literally and some Christians who don't; among those who didn't are Origen of Alexandria, St. Augustine of Hippo, and St. Thomas Aquinas, arguably three of the greatest minds of Christian history.

It's interesting to me that Christians seem to disagree about this. I can understand that it could mean an unspecified number of years but it's hard for me to see how what is said in Genesis could be describing the big bang and evolution?

Wouldn't it say that God started things with a big explosion and slowly all the planet's, stars etc formed and then God started a process that led to the evolution of many animals and then eventually humans? If it was talking about the big bang?

I don't either. But then I don't believe God punishes people for eternity in hell. Most Christians don't believe this. There is no universal consensus on hell in Christianity--what it is, etc--but generally speaking most Christians, from across theological and denominational lines, tend to agree that hell is not God punishing people; but that hell (whatever it is) is a result of personal choice. People choose to "go to hell", or to quote C.S. Lewis, "the gates of hell are locked on the inside."

I'm not sure that people would choose Hell. Is it in your opinion complete destruction or eternal life in a horrible place?

People who believe in other religions other than Christianity sincerely believe in their religion and try to follow it's rules. I'm not sure how these people are choosing Hell? They probably think they are avoiding bad things?

Part of this question assumes, I think, a kind of Dispensationalist view where Jesus' return is to do a bunch of these left undone the first time. That isn't really what most Christians believe (Dispensationalism is a fringe view among Christians). In mainstream Christian teaching Christ's return brings conclusion to the present age, the resurrection of the dead and the renewal of all creation in the age to come.

So you think that everything prophesied is done?

There are two prophecies that I'm not sure how he could have fulfilled.

Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
To me it sounds like something that is going to happen in the future because there is still wars?

Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world – on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).

I think that you would agree lots of people didn't know about Christianity in its early years? It's only after the European colonial era that it's become known about everywhere?

By "one person" do you mean St. John of Patmos, the author of the Revelation? Well, it's also worth noting here that as I mentioned previously, most Christians aren't Dispensationalists; and further, not all Christians are Futurists. Futurism is a particular reading of the Revelation in which it predicts or foretells the "end times"; Futurism is how some Christians interpret the book, but only some. Other views include the Preterist and Historicist views, and they are found equally among Christians the world over. Speaking personally, I read the Revelation of St. John through a preterist framework: the text isn't talking about things happening at the "end of the world", but things which happened two thousand years ago during the time John wrote. Apocalyptic literature isn't meant to be taken literally, its very nature as a highly graphic and symbolic form of writing means that it is intentionally coded in symbols--and in this case it's a bit easier to talk about the Roman Empire while imprisoned on a Roman penal colony if you don't spell it out, but instead talk about a blood-thirsty prostitute named "Babylon" riding on a beast (that just so happens to have the same color associated with the Roman emperor) and that "Babylon" is a city which sits on seven hills; that just so happens to be persecuting Christians at the time.

Yes I'm talking about St John. So you think it's about Nero and the Roman empire? I've heard many atheists make that argument to try and discredit Christianity. If it is about the Roman empire though how come the things prophesied to happen haven't happened yet? The binding of Satan, resurrection, New Jerusalem and earth etc?

Do you think it's possible that Hitler could be the beast of Revelation?

I find it very difficult to understand and interpret the bible as it's incredibly complex. I'm not sure if anyone who believes in Christianity can be certain of the true meaning of scripture because so many people seem to disagree.

You seem very well informed though and thanks a lot for answering my questions.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It's interesting to me that Christians seem to disagree about this. I can understand that it could mean an unspecified number of years but it's hard for me to see how what is said in Genesis could be describing the big bang and evolution?

I think this might be a slight misunderstanding. It's not that Genesis is actually talking about the big bang, evolution, etc; it's that the creation story in Genesis isn't intended to be taken literally at all. The text of Genesis ch. 1 isn't meant to be read as a literal account of how the universe came into existence or how life came into existence here on earth; that's not the point at all. Many have noted that the first chapter of Genesis is written in a poetic style, even containing a repeating refrain "Evening, and morning, the X day". The point here is that Genesis 1 isn't science at all, and it's not history: it's theology.

Some helpful sources:
Framework interpretation (Genesis) - Wikipedia
Comparing Interpretations of Genesis 1
Genesis with N.T. Wright

We can also look at some of the fathers, St. Augustine for example believed the six days of creation were an allegory, as did a number of ancient fathers. St. Basil, on the other hand, was not so keen on the allegorical approach, believing that when the text says "fish" it means "fish"--that said whether or not the text is literal has always been an open question and Christian interpretation of the text has always been diverse.

Wouldn't it say that God started things with a big explosion and slowly all the planet's, stars etc formed and then God started a process that led to the evolution of many animals and then eventually humans? If it was talking about the big bang?

Since Genesis isn't about giving us an historical, scientific account of creation there's no reason to assume it should. It's a bit like picking up a copy of Romeo and Juliet and asking why Shakespeare is bothering to tell us a tragic love story instead of writing about the socio-economic and political conditions of 14th century Italy. The answer of course is that this isn't that kind of text, and that's simply not the point--the point is to tell a story of young tragic love. Likewise, the creation story isn't about telling us like some ancient peer reviewed journal or history book the material origins of the cosmos; the point is to tell us about the kind of God God is, His relationship with the world, the significance of creation, and fundamentally our significance in relation to God and the rest of creation as human beings.

I'm not sure that people would choose Hell.

If one assumes "Hell" is some literal fire pit with pitch-fork wielding demons, then probably not. But for most Christians that view of hell is considered pretty cartoonish and silly.

Is it in your opinion complete destruction or eternal life in a horrible place?

Neither. Hell is what happens when human beings prefer to opt out of God's renewal of creation; Hell isn't a "place", it's the end result human beings preferring themselves, and locking themselves up within the prison of themselves against God, others, and the rest of creation.

The 7th century theologian St. Isaac the Syrian speaks of "Hell" as being the same "place" as "Heaven", writing,

"Those who are tormented in hell are tormented by the invasion of love. What is there more bitter and violent than the pains of love? Those who feel they have sinned against love bear in themselves a damnation much heavier than the most dreaded punishments. The suffering with which sinning against love afflicts the heart is more keenly felt than any other torment. It is absurd to assume that the sinners in hell are deprived of God’s love. Love is offered impartially. But by its very power it acts in two ways. It torments sinners, as happens here on earth when we are tormented by the presence of a friend to whom we have been unfaithful. And it gives joy to those who have been faithful. That is what the torment of hell is in my opinion: remorse. But love inebriates the souls of the sons and daughters of heaven by its delectability."

Hell, therefore, is nothing other than to be in the presence of God and the love of God; it is "Hell" because it is perceived as Hell by those who do not love God; the torment arises from one's self alone.

In The Great Divorce, C.S. Lewis puts it this way,

"The whole difficulty of understanding Hell is that the thing to be understood is so nearly Nothing. But ye'll have had experiences . . . it begins with a grumbling mood, and yourself still distinct from it: perhaps criticising it. And yourself, in a dark hour, may will that mood, embrace it. Ye can repent and come out of it again. But there may come a day when you can do that no longer. Then there will be no you left to criticise the mood, nor even to enjoy it, but just the grumble itself going on forever like a machine."

People who believe in other religions other than Christianity sincerely believe in their religion and try to follow it's rules. I'm not sure how these people are choosing Hell? They probably think they are avoiding bad things?

I'm not suggesting that people are choosing Hell by following a religion other than Christianity. Further, I don't believe that someone goes to Hell for following another religion.

So you think that everything prophesied is done?

No. There are still things to happen: Christ's return in glory to judge the living and the dead, the resurrection of the dead, and the restoration of all things.

I just don't believe that The Revelation of St. John is about foretelling future events; it's about bringing comfort to persecuted Christians suffering under Rome at the end of the 1st century.

There are two prophecies that I'm not sure how he could have fulfilled.

Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
To me it sounds like something that is going to happen in the future because there is still wars?

Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world – on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).

Yes, that is part of what we call the Age to Come, with the restoration of all things.

Yes I'm talking about St John. So you think it's about Nero and the Roman empire? I've heard many atheists make that argument to try and discredit Christianity. If it is about the Roman empire though how come the things prophesied to happen haven't happened yet? The binding of Satan, resurrection, New Jerusalem and earth etc?

Non-religious didn't come up with this, the idea that the Apocalypse refers to John's period has been a way Christians have looked at the text for centuries.

And this doesn't mean every detail mentioned is past tense. But it does mean reading the text differently:

The text is addressed to seven actual Christian communities, John addresses it "John, to the seven churches which are in Asia"; these are the recipients of the work, and thus the work must be significant to them.

The text's chief aim to to communicate hope in the midst of trial and persecution. That hope begins and ends with Christ, beginning with Christ as He who stands amid the seven candlesticks, who speaks to the seven churches, who wields the keys to Hades having triumphed over it. Who also is the Lamb, worthy to open the scroll, who will judge the nations, and ultimately return in glory to deliver all things to God who makes all things new.

As such the text is not some chronological listing of events, it is instead focused around themes; themes of worldly and diabolic cruelty, themes of judgment against the cosmic powers of this fallen age, and themes of hope for the people of God.

Do you think it's possible that Hitler could be the beast of Revelation?

No. I think "the Beast" whose name adds up to six hundred and sixty-six is almost certainly Nero, even though Nero had been dead for several decades when it was written; the mention of the Beast being revived seems to echo the Nero Redivivus legend; Domitian was seen, effectively, as Nero revived.

I find it very difficult to understand and interpret the bible as it's incredibly complex. I'm not sure if anyone who believes in Christianity can be certain of the true meaning of scripture because so many people seem to disagree.

I think it's important to understand that the Bible isn't a book. The Bible is a collection of books. And as such approaching any book in the Bible means looking to understand what kind of book it is. Imagine trying to walk into a library and assume every book is the same sort of thing. No one reads The Hobbit the same way as they do a biography on Abraham Lincoln, these are entirely different sorts of literature. It is essential if trying to approach the Bible to understand that it isn't a book, instead of looking at it like a book, look at it like a library. When you open up a copy of the Bible you are, effectively, walking into a library.

Further, some books are inherently more confusing, such as the Apocalypse of St. John. Its very nature as an apocalyptic work makes it inherently more difficult; it's also not surprising that it is arguably the most contentious books in Christian antiquity; it did not receive full acceptance into the Biblical Canon until around the 8th century. While it had been well received in the Christian West, in the Christian East it continued to be a disputed work (antilegomenon) for most of the 1st millennium.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anna-

Jul 23, 2017
London
✟17,332.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The point here is that Genesis 1 isn't science at all, and it's not history: it's theology.

I can understand point of view but I just find it difficult to comprehend a true religion with a creation account that appears a bit different to what happened. Thank you for the links though they were interesting.

Hell, therefore, is nothing other than to be in the presence of God and the love of God; it is "Hell" because it is perceived as Hell by those who do not love God; the torment arises from one's self alone.

I'm confused as to what your beliefs are about Hell. Are you suggesting it is an eternal place but it's not really that bad? Just a grumpy and boring place?

Do you believe people in Hell can move to Heaven after a while?

Do you believe Silkhs, Deists, Jews, Muslims, Hindus could potentially go to heaven?

No. I think "the Beast" whose name adds up to six hundred and sixty-six is almost certainly Nero, even though Nero had been dead for several decades when it was written; the mention of the Beast being revived seems to echo the Nero Redivivus legend; Domitian was seen, effectively, as Nero revived.

So many other Christians share this interpretation? I agree that it seems to talk of Rome and Nero.

What do you think is actually going to happen regarding Gods plan for earth and Satan?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I can understand point of view but I just find it difficult to comprehend a true religion with a creation account that appears a bit different to what happened. Thank you for the links though they were interesting.

I think it's important to understand that ancient people were just as capable of using stories to communicate ideas no less than we can today. Myths are not always meant to be taken literally.

I'm confused as to what your beliefs are about Hell. Are you suggesting it is an eternal place but it's not really that bad? Just a grumpy and boring place?

There is no official Christian teaching on Hell. Instead there have been lots of ways of talking about it throughout Christian history. I offered two examples, one by a Syriac theologian from the 7th century, and another by a more modern Anglican theologian from the 20th century.

I think to really tackle this issue a few things need to be explained more clearly, and it helps if we can first speak about what the chief Christian eschatological hope is, that is, what it is that Christianity believes about the future conclusion of history and what it is we hope for when all is said and done.

To address that I want to first make it clear that, historically, Christianity does not believe that the Christian hope is to go to some place "up there" called "Heaven". This idea of a place called "Heaven" with fluffy clouds and streets of gold where the righteous souls of the dead exist floating around strumming harps is simply not what the Christian religion has taught for the last two thousand years, even if that idea has been popularized in the modern period due to theological illiteracy and popular media. The Christian hope is the resurrection of the body, even as Jesus Christ was raised from the dead so, we believe, we also will; in fact that's kind of the point: Christ is risen, so we can be confident that we will rise. St. Paul in Romans ch. 8 writes, "If the Spirit of Him who raised Christ from the dead dwells also in you, then He who raised Christ from the dead will give life to your mortal bodies" (Romans 8:11), and in the 15th chapter of his first letter to the Corinthians he writes extensively on the resurrection of the dead. The New Testament consistently talks about the resurrection of the dead, Jesus says in the Gospel of John, "everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day." (John 6:40); in his letter to the Philippians St. Paul writes that we look forward to the resurrection of our body in this way: "He will transform the body of our humiliation that it may be conformed to the body of his glory, by the power that also enables him to make all things subject to himself." (Philippians 3:21)

This is because Christian teaching is that salvation is for the whole world--all creation. Christ did not come in order that "souls" could "go to heaven"; Christ came to redeem the whole world, and that all things would be restored in and by Him. Our salvation, ultimately in the resurrection of the body at Christ's return, is part of this: that God has purposed to make all things new, renewing and restoring all things. Thus the Christian does not look forward to going up, as a disembodied ghost, to live forever in some place called "heaven"; but rather that Christ will come again and the dead shall be raised up bodily, to live forever in God's restored creation in the Age to Come. That is, our eternal life is found right here on earth, not somewhere "up there", but right here. In fact, no where in the entirety of the Bible does it really ever talk about people "going to heaven", and where it does speak that way, it refers to it as an intermediate state between death and resurrection. In 2 Corinthians St. Paul says that while away from the body we will be "present with the Lord" (and says nothing more than this), and in the Apocalypse there is a scene where the dead in Christ are shown being before God's throne. Beyond this, the Bible simply doesn't talk about "life after death", but talks frequently instead about "life after life after death", in the resurrection and the life of the world to come.

Further, the historic Creeds of the Church say the same, from the Apostles' Creed:

"I believe in Jesus Christ ... He ascended into the heavens and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. From whence He will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen."

From the Nicene Creed:

"We believe... in one Lord Jesus Christ ... He ascended into the heavens and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will never end. And we believe in the Holy Spirit ... We look forward to the resurrection of the dead, and the life in the age to come. Amen."

From the Athanasian Creed:

"[Jesus Christ] suffered for our salvation; He descended into the depths; He arose from the dead; He ascended into the havens; He is seated at the Father's right hand; from there He will come to judge the living and the dead. At His coming all people will arise bodily and give an accounting of their own deeds."

Etc.

Hell, fundamentally, is not this. And that's the point, that God desires to save, renew, and restore all of His creation and to bring us into the eternal and everlasting life with Him in that future, good, and just world. "Hell" is what happens when people choose not to partake in that, in the Apocalypse it uses very graphic symbolic language to describe it as a "lake of fire and sulfur" which is also called a "second death". Taking the Apocalypse literally here is a bad idea, as it is taking it literally almost anywhere else; instead the point is that it is a tragic, utterly tragic, end. Speaking of not taking it literally, take note that later in the text it says that "outside of the city" are the liars, the murderers, etc--the point is that there are those who refuse to be part of and take part of God's good and future world.

What that ultimately looks like is anyone's guess. But the point is that God doesn't desire the destruction of the wicked, quite the contrary, "As I live, says the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from their ways and live;" (Ezekiel 33:11).

To quote C.S. Lewis again, "In the end there are only two kinds of people, those who say to God, 'Thy will be done.' and those to whom God says, 'Thy will be done.'" Hell is not what happens when God's will is done, Hell is what happens when human beings insist on having things their way even to the point of denying the very source of life and existence itself. In essence, what God desires for creation is life in its fullest expression; Hell means the utter denial of life itself.

If it seems like I'm not being explicitly clear on what Hell is, that's because I don't believe that's possible. I think Hell is defined less by what it is and more by what it is not. Hell is not a punishment God gives to people for being bad, or for having the wrong religion; Hell is what happens when human beings insist on loving only themselves and would prefer to by themselves. If a person desires only themselves, that is what they will have. Only themselves. If a person only wants to satisfy their own desires, then that is what they will get--the onward and endless hunger for more only for oneself.

Some of the ancient fathers expressed hope that, ultimately, even those in deepest darkest hell might ultimately find salvation. It's a hope that the Church has had, historically; but there is no dogmatic position one way or the other. The only appropriate answer is we don't know, but we can hope for this.

Do you believe Silkhs, Deists, Jews, Muslims, Hindus could potentially go to heaven?

It's my hope that all will be saved and have a place in the Age to Come. I don't believe that being Sikh, Jewish, Atheist, or Hindu (etc) means such a person will have no place in the Age to Come. I believe the only appropriate Christian answer is that we can't know, but we can hope and pray. In Christianity Christ is the only way we are saved, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the person who dies without confessing or knowing Christ is damned--instead we hope and trust in God's goodness, justice, and mercy.

So many other Christians share this interpretation? I agree that it seems to talk of Rome and Nero.

It's a pretty common interpretation and position in mainstream Christian churches and scholarly circles: Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant alike. It's not a universally held position by any means, but it's a pretty common mainstream view.

What do you think is actually going to happen regarding Gods plan for earth and Satan?

I believe that Christ will come again to judge the living and the dead, that the dead will be resurrected, and that God will renew and restore all things.

I regard Dispensationalism to be a heterodox theological system, as such the fairly popularly imagined scenario of a period of tribulation and rule by an Antichrist over a one world government, with Christians being "raptured" away, and followed by Jesus ruling the earth for a literal thousand years is, basically in its entirety, rejected. This way of thinking simply isn't how most Christians think or believe. Dispensationalism is the product of the early 19th century, virtually created in its entirety by an Irish minister named John Nelson Darby that managed to become increasingly popular in the United States over the course of the 20th century. But is rejected by Catholics, Orthodox, and most Mainline Protestants.

As such I try to stick simply with what the Christian Church has historically believed and taught: Christ will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, the dead will be raised up, and God will make all things new. Anything beyond this is idle speculation.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Durantis

Jul 25, 2017
Rapture City
✟8,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You find it difficult to comprehend because we're just humans. There are many things that we humans do not know and just because we don't know them, it doesn't mean that they don't exist. God has always existed because I think (using my human mind) that he created the universe and he existed before time and matter (thus he has always existed.)

I have always been wary of what scientists say. Until they find the truth about EVERYTHING then I'll believe what they say. At the moment I'll just follow my heart.

If he wasn't concerned he wouldn't have given us knowledge and intelligence. We're the only species on earth that are capable of many things. He's concerned because we have judgement. We know right from wrong. We know that killing people is wrong for example, even if you're not a christian. If he wasn't concerned we wouldn't have given us that knowledge.

Satan decided to go against God. He had his own free will and he decided to be evil. God knew he would do that, but he allowed it to happened because he gave humans free will too. It is up to us if we decide to be evil (follow Satan) or good (follow God.)

Without evil and suffering there would be no good or joy. They exist because he want us to know the difference. Life was so supposed to be that way IMO. He also wants us to know what evil and suffering is like, because when we get to heaven (or hell), we'll know what we're missing (joy and good if you get to hell, evil and suffering if you get to heaven.)

As as said before, we have free will. If it were obvious that Christianity is true, everyone would be Christian and there would be no evil. But that is not how things work... It is up to us to try to find what is true and what is not, and in my case it is very obvious (to me) that Christianity is true.

If he wasn't interested in other people he wouldn't have sent Jesus in order to save humanity. God cares so much about us that he sent us a savior. Because he knew that we're full of sin and unable to free ourselves from evil. He wants the best for us and he loves us, that's why there's hope and that hope is Jesus.

God doesn't want to punish people for eternity. Do you believe that parents enjoy punishing their children because they did something wrong? No. He wants us to be good and if we're not, he will punish us just like any good parent would do. If people decided to be good there would be no Hell and God would be proud of us. But sadly many people don't want to be good and it might sound harsh, but they don't deserve to be praised, they deserve punishment...

We cannot know what God's plans are. It might not seem logical to you, but God decided it to be that way. Although he has given us everything we need to know in this moment, I don't think we need to know more in order to be saved.

Well, Satan thinks he's better and wiser than God, but he isn't. Satan wants every soul he can put his hands on. God is watching, he knows our hearts. Satan is not going ahead with what God wants, he wants to lure people into damnation, because Satan does not love us. It is all part of God's plan for humanity. You might not be a believer, but you still know that killing people and stealing things is wrong. Why does it feel wrong? If God doesn't exist, then it doesn't matter whether something is good or evil. You are free to do as you please, then. But God does exist, that's why we have that knowledge.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

First of all, great questions! It looks like you've received some good answers so far.

I find it hard to comprehend as well, but I boil it down to this: nothing came before God and there's nothing after God. Everything good is within God.

This may help:

He might be concerned with our behavior because he intends to fill the universe with life and us killing each other would thwart that plan.

It is good of God to create beings who can follow their own desires, even if those desires go against what God wants.

Evil and suffering exist because people follow their own desires instead of God's desires and God is continuously wooing people to follow His good will, which will bring everlasting peace.

He has made it obvious, it just takes us time to fully understand.

He's equally interested in all people, it's just that only a few follow His will. Eventually more and more will follow him and all will know Him.

I believe He punishes people for as long as necessary to correct them, just like good parents do with disobedient children. I too do not see a point in punishing someone just for the sake of punishment.

I think one main reason is to bring as many as possible into the Kingdom to share in God's love and have a sense of achievement in the end.

10. I'm not sure why God would only give one person a revelation about the future.

God has given many people revelations about the future and this is so when those things come true we can know they were of God.

Now that Satan must know what God plans for him why would he still go ahead with what God wants?

I'm not sure I understand this question. Satan knows what God wants, but intentionally does the opposite, which is why he's called the adversary, but remember God commands us to love our enemies, so God certainly still loves Satan, just hates the way he behaves, which is why he sent Christ to expose all evil and overcome it.

Hope these and everyone else' answers help in your understanding of who God is and what he has done and is doing in our lives.

If there's one thing you remember, I hope it's that God is willing to give of Himself, even to death, in order to bring about the best outcome for all. True love.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Can a finite creature that has been created, understand the infinite, eternal God? If God began at some point, then something or someone created Him. For Him to be greater than His creation, He could not have begun at some point.

Deuteronomy 29:29 ESV "The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.

Isaiah 55:8-9 ESV For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. (9) For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Recommended reading, "The Biblical Basis for Modern Science" by Henry Morris. He goes into great detail on this topic.

Because out of all creation, only humans are made in the image of God. God is involved in all of His creation, most especially humans, because of His great love.

God uses secondary means to display His perfect holiness, righteousness and justice, as well as His grace, mercy and love.

Goes with the previous answer. God uses means to display His attributes.

God has sufficiently revealed an overabundance of evidence that proves that Christianity is true. To those that reject God and His truth, they are simply suppressing the evidence that is before them.

Romans 1:18-20 ESV For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. (19) For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. (20) For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

God has the sovereign right to choose whom He will choose according to the counsel of His own will. There is nothing special in Israel, in and of themselves. It is only by God's grace that He has chosen them. God is interested in all of His creation.

God is perfectly just. When we break His law, because He is of infinite honor, value and worth, we are committing the infinite violation of the law. So for the punishment to fit the crime, Hell must be eternal, and nothing good can exist in Hell. That is perfect justice. But for this time God is granting grace and repentance.

God plans do not have to meet our expectations, since He is God and we are not. And as mention from Isaiah 55 above, God's plans are not our plans. Moreover in the light of eternity, it has been less than 2,000 years since Jesus ascended into Heaven, which is not even the blink of an eye in eternity.

Not sure where you are getting this from. God has spoken to us through His inerrant word of the Bible. He does not even owe us that, but that is because of His grace.

Satan can do nothing apart from the will of God and under the authority of God (read the book of Job). Satan still has to obey God, within the time that God has defined.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I feel He has always existed because I feel he made the universe.

I believe mankind is so precious that we must have been created by a God.

I feel he is concerned with humans because he love us all deeply.

I do not feel God created Satan. I feel Satan always existed but will one day be destroyed by God.

I don't feel God is all powerful. Therefore I do not think he can always stop evil and suffering.

I don't feel God can always make himself known to humans. He tries to communicate through the Bible and when we pray to him.

I feel he loves all people.
I don't believe in hell, only heaven.
I feel that he will not return.

Satan is the adversary and one day God will destroy him.

Why are you basing it all on "feelings" rather than the truth of God? You are believing some very unbiblical things. Do you consider yourself a Christian?

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You have seen how broadly these questions can be answered. I think many of the answers you received have merit, but I will try to answer your questions myself because I have different answers to many of them and you might find they help you on your journey to faith.

This one has a relatively straightforward answer: The Bible says that the LORD inhabits eternity, that He stands outside of this universe of space-time. If you accept that time is a physical property of the universe we inhabit (something the experimental evidence strongly suggests), and God transcends the universe, then His eternal existence becomes a logical conclusion. In the absence of time as we know it, words such as beginning and ending are meaningless... outside of time, there is only an eternal now. Contemplate that reality, and God's eternal existence becomes manifestly necessary.

Many Christians agree with you. I do not think you must accept Genesis 1-11 as literal history in order to be a Christian, as it can be taken as a theological treatise against the prevailing myths of the ancient middle east. It was not intended to be a scientific treatise, but a theological one.

My view, though, holds that the heavens and the earth were created in Genesis 1:1, and that there is a gap of time (of unknown duration) implied between 1:1 and 1:2, during which time there was a previous creation that was judged, leading to the state of the earth as "without form and void, and darkness was on the face of the deep". I believe that this previous creation was flooded in judgement (note that on the 3rd day the waters are gathered together and the dry land appears, there is no mention of the land being then created). This accounts for radiological dating and the ancient fossils. The world was then recreated, as well as the sun, moon, and visible stars in 6 literal days.

We are bearers of His image, being triune beings (body, soul, and spirit) with a free will, limited only by our weakness and finite nature. God loves us with an infinite love because we are His special creations, so of course He cares what we do with the gifts He has given us.

This is a great mystery. Only God sees the end from the beginning, and Satan serves a purpose in God's plan for the ages. Note from the first few chapters of Job that Satan is only allowed to do what God allows Him to do, and no more. Satan provides us with a choice of good or evil without God having to directly produce evil for us to choose. God created Satan with wisdom and splendor and a free will, and he was a good being at his beginning. But he corrupted his heart through pride and desired to be in the place of God, which God denied him, and so he rebelled against God. Thus he became the evil being that opposes God and everything God desires to do. Yet he still operates under the limits that God allows him, and no more. God uses Satan as a tool to bring about the end that He desires while giving us a choice between good and evil. Yet in the end God will justly punish Satan for all the evil he has spawned.

Most evil and suffering occur because of the decisions and selfishness of people. In order to stop suffering, He would have to destroy mankind from the face of the earth and start over. But God loves us enough to give us time to repent and be saved. There will come a time when God does bring this depraved world to an end, but not before He gives all a chance to choose between following Jesus or following Satan. This is what the book of Revelation is all about.

I think that, deep down inside you, you must WANT God in order to believe. If you do not, in your deepest being, want God then you would be miserable in eternity with Him. So He gives us enough evidence to believe in faith, but not enough for certainty. Ask yourself, do you want there to be a perfect being ruling over you in love?

He chose to bring Jesus into the world through the descendants of Abraham, and that is why the Old Testament is basically a history of God's dealings with Israel. As another poster noted, God always did deal with the other nations as well (see Jonah and Isaiah).

Not all Christians believe in an eternal hell. They believe in what is called annihilationism, which you can look into for yourself.

As for me, here is a quick sketch of what I think of the various descriptions of hell:

Wailing and gnashing of teeth: "Wailing" is a Jewish practice of loud mourning over something or someone. "Gnashing of teeth" is either intense suffering/grief or intense anger. Those who have seen and experienced God's wonderful presence and are then forced to spend eternity separated from it will undoubtedly mourn.

Fire is many times used as a symbol of God's judgment in Scripture. As fire consumes into ashes, so God's judgment upon the wicked rebellious dead would consume them and bring them to utter ruin.

Jesus also referred to it as outer darkness. In Hebrew, the word for darkness holds the connotation of twisting, or turning, away from the light. So the judgment would be for those who turn/twist away from the light... "God is light".

The worm does not die typified the unending corruption of the soul consumed with sin.

The Greek word we translate torment literally means "to try against the stone", a metaphor taken from metal working, where the metal being heated would be taken from the fire and rubbed against a test stone to determine it's purity. That word eventually came to also be used of the torture officials used to pry confessions from those they believed to be criminals. In the case of Revelation, the combination of fire and torment could very easily be looked at as a reference to the metal working practice, not the practice of Roman authorities.

The second death is a direct reference back to Genesis 2:17, where God tells Adam that the day he eats of the forbidden tree he will "surely die"... the text literally reads "die die". In other words, die twice: physical death (the separation of the soul from the body) and spiritual death (separation of relationship/communion with God).

So all the different references together, when taken as metaphors, indicate that hell is a place of God's judgment where the soul will be brought to ruin, intense sorrow and grief will be common, a place of turning/twisting away from God's light, where sins corruption does not cease, where they will be tested for purity "day and night" (yet because of sins ongoing corruption they will never become pure), rightly identified as the final spiritual separation from communion with God. Not a burning furnace where people are tortured by flames, immortal fireproof worms, and intense darkness. Yet more like a prison for those who will never be reformed from their sinfulness, who continually twist/turn away from God's light. It is the ruin of the soul's purpose of loving communion with God. It is the quarantine of those contaminated by sin from those who have been purified by the blood of Jesus Christ. What exactly do the lost actually sense/experience? I don't know.

Could it be that the very existence of hell, where the corruption of sin goes on in those who reject God, not be an additional source of wisdom for those who choose to obey God? Does the constant testing of the soul for purity, yet always finding sins corruption, not reveal the justice of God for their continued confinement?

The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.
(2Pe 3:9)

The whole world must be given a chance to repent and believe the gospel, and this is why Jesus did not inaugurate His Kingdom during His first coming. When the whole world has heard the gospel, then He will come.

God has given all the prophets visions of the future. Also, remember, Satan is limited by God in what he can and cannot do. But Satan, knowing he is doomed, hates everything that God loves, so he will do everything God allows him to do in order to deceive people into rejecting Jesus.

Hope this helps, Anna;
Michael

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hello Anna, we must keep in mind what Jesus described of the Final Judgement in Matthew 25:31-46.

His judgement is about separating and keeping the ones who cared for others and gave the help they could; whereas the cursed ones had plenty of ability to help, but they refused to help when they were asked for it. There is those two basic types of people in the world among all religions: one is loving, the other is selfish.

(Consider the allegory of the long spoons: Allegory of the long spoons - Wikipedia).

If all the ones who are selfish are in one place, it's sure to be grumpy. If you consider the parable about Hades in Luke 16:19-31, we see verse 23 says the man was in torment there. Jesus spoke of an outer darkness where there is weeping and gnashing teeth, the worm there never dies. It seems to be a suffering of inescapable regret. Luke 16:26 says there is no crossing over to or from that place.

John 14:1-6, John 6:54 are examples where Jesus promises to bring us into The Father's house at the last day.

Seeing as the criteria for salvation as Jesus gave in Matthew 25:31-46 is based on the behaviour of love, we should expect some of those from other religious disciplines to receive the blessing (consider this, that in Matthew 25:32 it is all nations being sorted).

So, it is because believing the gospel depends upon the information becoming available to a person, and we all begin from a place of not having that information. Whether a person receives and believes the gospel of Jesus Christ is not necessarily the only factor that contributes to salvation.

It is a fact that many people who would by nature accept the gospel if they really understood it, maybe they don't have a fair opportunity to receive an accurate knowledge of it, or maybe they have had a very poor and damaging representation of it given to them that causes them to view it with a faulty perspective.

Jesus is perfectly fair, righteous and just in judgement, and He does not wish to disqualify the ones who are of suitable character for salvation based upon such an unfair criteria as that would be. Likewise though, many people do have a good opportunity to receive accurate knowledge of the gospel and yet for selfish reasons, they'll turn away from it (the holy lifestyle requires of them a sacrifice they wish to not make - perhaps it is sex, drugs, greed, discrimination etc). These ones will not have the same opportunity for mercy in the judgement, because they have not declined the gospel for noble, truthful or righteous reasons but because it has been an ultimatum to them that proved they do not care for righteousness.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sorry, but that is rejecting it. There is no middle ground.
OP, for your sake I wish to reassure you that you were blameless and entitled to your unbelief at the time of writing.

Since that time though, you have received a lot of quality truth that threatens the innocence of your unbelief. It is not right for us to expect you to believe the gospel before you have been properly informed. I have seen you are making a diligent investigation, even producing scripture of your own!

I just wanted to balance our brother's judgement, as he is right to say that the gospel forces us to take sides for or against Jesus .. just I think a bit of patience is owed to you at this time because you are still becoming sufficiently informed :)

Keep going therefore, and do not be discouraged! :oldthumbsup::wave::wave:

Upvote 0