Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Well, I wasn't as interested in Mormon History as I was in its doctrines that oppose the Bible and its disapproval of our God. But @LindaBerlin has piqued my interest.

My ancestors weren't in Illinois at that time. I had had ancestors in Ohio and Missouri in those days.

Brigham Young’s Response to the Burning of the Morley Settlement1

https://user.xmission.com/~research/mormonpdf/article6.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Well, I wasn't as interested in Mormon History as I was in its doctrines that oppose the Bible and its disapproval of our God. But @linda Berlin has piqued my interest.

My ancestors weren't in Illinois at that time. I had had ancestors in Ohio and Missouri in those days.

Brigham Young’s Response to the Burning of the Morley Settlement1

https://user.xmission.com/~research/mormonpdf/article6.pdf
Yes members of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints lived through perilous times. It is tragic the way they were treated, their property burned, their crops destroyed, their belongings stolen. Many were left destitute and homeless. Good article by the way. When visiting Nauvoo, I was also told by one person, that his ancestors stole cattle and blamed it on the Mormons.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes members of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints lived through perilous times. It is tragic the way they were treated, their property burned, their crops destroyed, their belongings stolen. When visiting Nauvoo, I was also told by one person, that his ancestors stole cattle and blamed it on the Mormons. Many were left destitute and homeless. Good article by the way.

Mormons were also agitators who made up their own rules and believed in revenge. They were sinners like the rest of Adam's posterity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Mormons were also agitators who mafe up their own rules and believed in revenge. They were sinners like the rest of Adam's posterity.
From your article:
"The Initial Burnings Anti-Mormons, under the leadership of Levi Williams, burned two Mormon homes on September 10 at the Morley Settlement. When the Mormons did not retaliate, they were joined by other anti-Mormons,17 and proceeded to destroy the Morley Settlement and out-lying farms. Over one hundred Mormon homes, along with outbuildings, personal possessions, and harvested crops, were burned. Much of what was not burned was stolen.Tamma Minor remembered the enormity of the event thirty-six years later: they [the mob] came back and shot off all their guns and ran [Mormons] all off and plundered made a fire burned houses, furniture, and clothing loom, yarn cloth and carpenter tools, the iron from the tools picked up and filled a barrel, everything all around burned to ashes the mob went from house to house a driving them out sick or well it made no difference till they burned every house in the town that was Mormon.18 Brigham Young’s journal entry of Wednesday, September 10, contained the terse notation, “This evening news came from the Morley settlement that the mob were at work.”19 The scope of the crisis came into clearer focus the following morning with the arrival of additional information. Solomon Hancock reported, “the Mob are upon us at the Morley set[t[lement] burning our buildings and threat[e]ning the lives of our men women and children.” Hancock added, they “had many sick” and were “destitute of teams,” but would act only in self-defense until directed otherwise.20 The following morning, John Taylor noted the Twelve Apostles “held a council and thought it advisable as we were going West in the Spring to keep all things as quiet as possible and not resent anything.” He then explained why retaliation was rejected: “After the trouble we had had to finish the Temple to get our endowments, we thought it of more importance than to squabble with the mob about property, seeing that the houses were not of much importance, and no lives were taken. Thinking by these pacific measures that they would be likely not to molest us; and to show the surrounding country that we were orderly disposed people, and desirous of keeping peace.”21 The apostles also “agreed to dispatch a messenger to the Lima branch and counsel the brethren to propose to sell their property to the mob and bring their families and grain here.”22 Apostle Willard Richards, referring to this meetings, said the “minutemen,” or members of the Nauvoo Legion, were put “in readiness for any emergency,” and a letter was sent to Sheriff Backenstos asking him to “quell the mob at Lima.”23 Solomon Hancock was directed by Brigham Young on September 12 to remove the children and grain to Nauvoo “as quickly as possible” and have the men remain and caretake the property. Hancock was informed the Mormons were relying on Sheriff Backenstos to “attend to the mob” and if the “Jack-Mormons,” so-called friends of the law, did not intervene it would be “the funeral processions of Illinois liberty.” Young asked, “What is a little property or a few lives compared with the properties and lives of a great people and the house [Temple] and ordinances [endowments] on which the salvation of the people depend.” 24 Young requested, “every man who has a team to go immediately to the Morley Settlement, and act in concert with President Solomon Hancock in removing the sick, the women, children, goods and grain to Nauvoo.” Concurrent with this, a committee of Morley settlers initiated peaceful overtures to neighboring non-Mormons and offered their land in exchange for items which would help facilitate their removal from Illinois.25 In his September 13 journal entry, John Taylor praised the Morley Settlement Mormons for following orders even though they “had it in their power to destroy their persecutors.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes members of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints lived through perilous times. It is tragic the way they were treated, their property burned, their crops destroyed, their belongings stolen. Many were left destitute and homeless. Good article by the way. When visiting Nauvoo, I was also told by one person, that his ancestors stole cattle and blamed it on the Mormons.

Non-Mormons lived through the same times. In Illinois, my second-great-grandmother's brother was murdered.

In September 1630 John Billington was tried by a jury and hanged for the murder of John Newcomen, whom he saw as an enemy. This was the first such execution in Plymouth colony. Bradford states he was approximately forty years of age. His burial location is unknown.
John Billington - Wikipedia

Romans 3
23For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Your quote doesn't say that Mormons were without sin. And that quote is not scripture. Get it?

Where is Phineas Wilcox buried?
I didn't say that members of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints are without sin. We should not sin. It is wrong to sin. I don't know where Phineas Wilcox is buried.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Non-Mormons lived through the same times. In Illinois, my second-great-grandmother's brother was murdered.

In September 1630 John Billington was tried by a jury and hanged for the murder of John Newcomen, whom he saw as an enemy. This was the first such execution in Plymouth colony. Bradford states he was approximately forty years of age. His burial location is unknown.
John Billington - Wikipedia

Romans 3
23For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
My great great grandfather was shot by the mob and left for dead, but he recovered.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That was before my time.
So bury your head in the sand about your so-called "prophets"? This is the early stages of the foundation of your religion. That it was included in your sacred temple ceremony for a number of years shows it was a very important teaching.

I honestly don't know why you keep defending your early prophets, especially BY.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
So bury your head in the sand about your so-called "prophets"? This is the early stages of the foundation of your religion. That it was included in your sacred temple ceremony for a number of years shows it was a very important teaching.

I honestly don't know why you keep defending your early prophets, especially BY.
Brigham Young was an amazing man. When the mob was burning and plundering the homes of the saints he told them not to retaliate and they didn't. When the Martin handcart company left late and were caught in the dreadful cold of winter, he sent rescuers to save them. When the Francher company was in southern Utah he sent word to let them pass in peace. Unfortunately his letter arrived too late. He directed the migration of 16,000 people.

"In 1861 Young contracted to build the transcontinental telegraph line from Nebraska to California and then erected the twelve-hundred-mile Deseret Telegraph line from Franklin, Idaho, to northern Arizona to connect all Mormon villages with one another and with Salt Lake City. He also contracted to prepare the roadbed for part of the transcontinental railroad line and then organized railroads to provide rail transportation for most Mormon communities in Idaho, Utah and Nevada.

When Utah became a territory in 1851, Young was the first governor and superintendent of Indian affairs, serving until 1858. As governor, he had repeated difficulties with ‘outside’ non-Mormon presidential appointees, especially judges and territorial secretaries, who were envious, if not fearful, of his power.
Young constructed the Mormon Tabernacle in Salt Lake City and began the erection of the Salt Lake Temple. He founded Brigham Young University; the University of Deseret, now University of Utah; and the Salt Lake Theatre, where major actors and actresses performed.

Young was a leading Western colonizer, energetic entrepreneur of new industry, astute politician and effective sermonizer. The more than five hundred recorded sermons he delivered over the thirty-three years of his leadership emphasize practical religion-the improvement of living conditions, correct behavior, and the achievement of harmonious social relationships.

As president of the Mormon church, Young traveled to most settlements at least once a year, where he listened to grievances, discussed problems, and informed himself of local events and personalities. Under prodding from Young, Utah gave women the vote in 1870, thus recognizing their political equality and also adding to Mormon vote pluralities."

More at: Brigham Young

Brigham Young was an amazing man, he did many great things. He was not perfect, but he was indeed a prophet of God. He served God during difficult times and did what was necessary to bring about the salvation of God's children.

Upvote 0