• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

LDS Mountain Meadows Massacre: John D. Lee was a Scapegoat!

Discussion in 'Debate Other Religions & Faiths' started by Old Lady, Nov 26, 2020.

1. LindaBerlin

LindaBerlin Member

+99
    Germany
    Seeker
    Divorced
    Does a Mormon prophet know more than a studied theologian from that time? If so, let us take a closer look at statements from Mormon prophets, and see how much they contradict scientific and theological statements, and which of them later proved to be true. Are you ready for this? I have enough evidence to do so. Just one example:

For many years after Joseph Smith's death the Mormons continued to teach that the moon was inhabited. On July 24, 1870, Brigham Young, the second president of the Mormon church, stated: "Who can tell us of the inhabitants of this little planet that shines of an evening, called the moon?... when you inquire about the inhabitants of that sphere you find that the most learned are as ignorant in regard to
    them as the ignorant of their fellows. So it is in regard to the inhabitants of the sun.
    Do you think it is inhabited? I rather think it is. Do you think there is any life there? No question of it; it was not made in vain" (Journal of Discourses, vol.13, p.271).
    As late as 1892 the teaching that the moon was inhabited appeared in a church publication. In an article published in the Young Woman's Journal, O. B. Huntington stated:
    Nearly all the great discoveries of men in the last half century have, in one way or another, either directly or indirectly, contributed to prove Joseph Smith to be a Prophet.
    As far back as 1837, I know that he said the moon was inhabited by men and women the same as this earth, and that they lived to a greater age than we do, that they live generally to near the age of a 1000 years.
    He described the men as averaging near six feet in height, and dressing quite uniformly in something near the Quaker style. In my Patriarchal blessing, given by the father of Joseph the Prophet, in Kirtland, 1837, I was told that I should preach the gospel before I was 21 years of age; that I should preach the gospel to the inhabitants upon the islands of the sea, and—to the inhabitants of the moon, even the planet you
    can now behold with your eyes (The Young Woman's Journal, published by the Young Ladies' Mutual Improvement Associations of Zion, 1892, vol.3, pp.263-64). Source: J. & S. Tanner, The changing world of Mormonism, p. 25

What would scientists say? What is the present Mormon prophet?
    And what would Christians say if I can claim and prove it; that Mormons has long believed that God and Jesus are polygamists?

2. LindaBerlin

LindaBerlin Member

+99
    Germany
    Seeker
    Divorced
    For the LIVING, not for the dead! Heaven, how can one be so ignorant?

3. LindaBerlin

LindaBerlin Member

+99
    Germany
    Seeker
    Divorced
    Wrong, my dear! There were NO baptisms for the dead in the Jewish temple! Only Mormons baptize the dead in their temples. Does anyone here know how this happens? From my manuscript, translated for you:

The "baptism of the dead" is closely linked to Mormons' idea of their "plan of salvation," and culminates in the idea that EVERYONE must hear and accept the (mormon) gospel, including collecting genealogical data. Data of people who have died and for living Mormon relatives or non-related Mormons to do the work (baptism, endowment, sealing).
    Young people who go to temple weeks, or Mormons who are in the temple for their deceased relatives, as well as others, perform this "act."
    To do this, they climb into a room in the basement, where there is a basin supported by 12 oxen, which is supposed to symbolize the 12 tribes of Israel. In more modern temples, however, only 6 oxen are made into 12 oxen using mirrors, a trick to save money.
    The Baptist and the baptist enter, both dressed in white, the Baptist raises up his right hand, which the baptist holds on to his left outstretched forearm, and says,
    "Brother/sister...., in power of attorney I baptize you for and instead of... who is dead. In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.. (Source Rüdiger Hauth, "Temple Cult and Baptism of the Dead- The Secret Rituals of the Mormons", p.48)
    Subsequently, the deceased person, represented by a living person, is confirmed, i.e. the (mormon) Holy Spirit/Ghost is donated to him or her. And, if he is a man, he will also be given the Melchizedek Priesthood of the Mormons.

If there is interest, I could also write about the endowment (pre-regulations, garment, and endowment) and record the connection between Mormons and Freemasons. What is interesting about the endowment is that originally on stage or screen in earlier versions a clergyman appeared as the servant of the devil, who later disappeared.

4. LindaBerlin

LindaBerlin Member

+99
    Germany
    Seeker
    Divorced
    Did Paul speak of the deaths of the second Jewish temple there? Did he even speak of Christian doctrine? Or did he not speak of some Gnostic groups who practiced death-heepering without believing in the Christian Resurrection?
    Whoever reads the whole letter to the Corinthians knows it! Those who only pick something without understanding the connection did not understand Paul! And Jesus too!

5. He is the way

He is the way Well-Known Member

+350
    United States
    Mormon
    Married
    What did Kurt Sethe know about the ancient Americas? He was born and lived in Germany.

6. He is the way

+350
    United States
    Mormon
    Married
    I have read it and I do understand it. It is obvious that John the Baptist had a far different calling than Paul did. Jesus also had a far different calling than they did. You are looking for a way to prove something that you can't prove. Paul verified the ordinance of baptism for the dead.

7. He is the way

+350
    United States
    Mormon
    Married
    I agree that that was strange because that is NOT the proper way baptism for the dead is done.

8. Peter1000

Peter1000 Well-Known Member

+486
    Mormon
    Married
    If believe baptism is a necessary ordinance for one to be saved.

If this is true, then how does one get taught the gospel of Jesus Christ, and baptized, who lived in Russia in 1567 and died, never hearing the name of Jesus Christ?

9. Peter1000

+486
    Mormon
    Married
    Sorry, but this kind of language is not needed in a discussion of the differences we have in the doctrines of Christ.

10. Peter1000

+486
    Mormon
    Married
    Who would you rather listen to:
    1) a person that had studied about God his entire life.

OR

2) a person who talked face to face with God for 5 minutes.

Prophets of God do not speak for God every time they open their mouths. They can and do have their own thoughts on matters that are not important enough for God to give them revelation.

I believe, people on the moon and sun were scientific interests in the 1800's. I believe there were many "scientists" that believed there were men on the sun and moon.

Besides, how do you 100% scientifically know that there are not people that live on the moon or the sun? Yes, we landed on the moon, and no people were seen, but that doesn't scientifically shut the door to the probability that there are. Am I right or wrong?

11. Peter1000

+486
    Mormon
    Married
    We believe the "dead", who have passed on, have spirits that left their bodies and are still "living" in a spirit world. We believe each of us have an eternal spirit that cannot die. Therefore, even though we are doing work for a person that has passed on, to us that person is still "living". If you look at it this way, it is not a matter of ignorance, but a difference of opinion.

I could call you ignorant for the things you are unaware of also, but I won't because that will not get us closer to helping each other understand our differences.