Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In order to be Christ-like, doesn't one must take up the case for the poor? As much as I try to spin that to be loving and caring for all, this simply infuriates me to no end. Our welfare system enables people to ride completely on the backs of others.

I Got 15 Kids & 3 Babydaddys-SOMEONE'S GOTTA PAY FOR ME & MY KIDS!!! - YouTube

Paul said;
2 Thessalonians 3:10
For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

T

Thekla

In order to be Christ-like, doesn't one must take up the case for the poor? As much as I try to spin that to be loving and caring for all, this simply infuriates me to no end. Our welfare system enables people to ride completely on the backs of others.

Paul said;
For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

So does our economic system; it's the ethos that's shot, top to bottom.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Paul said;

The national government is not the Body of Christ. It can't be Christ-like...which is disappointing both to those on the Right who want the government to make everyone love God and to those on the Left who want the government to make everyone love each other.

Everyone needs to get over this idea that the government has anything to do with the Body of Christ. It's a separate entity--and bound for destruction.

What responsibilities the Body of Christ has to the poor is directly between the Body of Christ and the poor.

What Caesar does for the poor is a matter for Caesar.

Christians in China don't twiddle with this false dilemma, which is probably why their evangelism is more effective.

Reactions: jamantc
Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I saw this too. You take one case and apply it to all, not all are like this.

we were on welfare untill the cut the program for are state, ended it. My wife is disable and applying for benefits, we had to pay the money back I might add after she got her disability status. If you think people are getting rich or even living good on welfare you are sadly mistaken. It is not enough money to live on. You have to work on it, you can not live other wise.

I find it interesting How Christians object to helping out the poor, they take one case and say they are all like that and get mad. What about those who can not work through no fought of their own, one so called Christians suggest these people sit in front of the Church on Sundays and beg for food. wow? Jesus does not say give, and then tell them how to spend what you gave, he says don't worry about being taken advantage of for you still have your reward in heaven.

So why do you care what they do on welfare you have your reward in heaven for it? It is loving money over people plain and simple. Seems a bit hypocritical that we send billions over seas to feed their hungry, and we are so unwilling to help out our own people.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I saw this too. You take one case and apply it to all, not all are like this.

we were on welfare untill the cut the program for are state, ended it. My wife is disable and applying for benefits, we had to pay the money back I might add after she got her disability status. If you think people are getting rich or even living good on welfare you are sadly mistaken. It is not enough money to live on. You have to work on it, you can not live other wise.

I find it interesting How Christians object to helping out the poor, they take one case and say they are all like that and get mad. What about those who can not work through no fought of their own, one so called Christians suggest these people sit in front of the Church on Sundays and beg for food. wow? Jesus does not say give, and then tell them how to spend what you gave, he says don't worry about being taken advantage of for you still have your reward in heaven.

So why do you care what they do on welfare you have your reward in heaven for it? It is loving money over people plain and simple. Seems a bit hypocritical that we send billions over seas to feed their hungry, and we are so unwilling to help out our own people.

I hear what you're saying, but things like this are child abuse and neglect, plain and simple. Im not knocking the welfare system, Im knocking the people that take advantage of it and attempt to leverage it to the point of completely sustaining their lives off of it when they really don't have to.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I hear what you're saying, but things like this are child abuse and neglect, plain and simple. Im not knocking the welfare system, Im knocking the people that take advantage of it and attempt to leverage it to the point of completely sustaining their lives off of it when they really don't have to.
This if you NEED help I will be happy to help you, BUT that does not mean you have the right to abuse that help by having more kids to get more money or lying about your income.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
New Brunswick
✟16,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
there are people who abuse the system, but that is the same with every system put in place. I know of towns and villages where the majority of the people do not work but live off of disability or welfare here in Canada. Some of those people are lazy bums and drugheads, etc. But I would never want us to drop the healthcare we have if it helps a single family out for their needs.

The system is to be there to help people who need it. What if you changed your perspective to think that taking away social services you are taking away the much needed help from those who really need it. Ignore the ones who abuse it because their abuse of the system does not really profit them much.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
there are people who abuse the system, but that is the same with every system put in place. I know of towns and villages where the majority of the people do not work but live off of disability or welfare here in Canada. Some of those people are lazy bums and drugheads, etc. But I would never want us to drop the healthcare we have if it helps a single family out for their needs.

The system is to be there to help people who need it. What if you changed your perspective to think that taking away social services you are taking away the much needed help from those who really need it. Ignore the ones who abuse it because their abuse of the system does not really profit them much.
It may or may not profit them much because it is a waste of money.

Upvote 0

ProudMomxmany

slightly insane mom of many
Jul 6, 2013
✟17,163.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Paul said;

Perhaps if they went after the baby daddies to pay child support...

Not to mention this is NOT typical. It's one case that may or may not be true, however, many will jump on this bandwagon to say "see...everybody on welfare is just lazy and cranking out kids to scam the system". That, my friends, is utter and total BALONEY. It appeals to those who will not go google the fraud percentage for these programs (hint, it's lower than the fraud in the defense/industrial complex).

There is NO WAY to get rich off welfare...the rules have changed (see "workfare" during the Clinton administration). At best, it provides a sub-poverty level existence.

However...crud like this is used to get all the right wingers all uptight because they KNOW that the sheeple will get bent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heirmiles

Rookie
Apr 14, 2012
East coast of Vancouver Island on the West Coast o
✟12,498.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One thing to remember is that our misgivings about these kinds of situations come from a "first world" (North American/European) perspective. Since in many other parts of the world, many parents expect their children to take care of them once they retire; and for them, to be blunt, having more children translates into a better lifestyle in old age.

And just a thought,

In Genesis, Jacob had eleven children, by four different women, before he even saw a penny while working for Laban, which makes me wonder: if we think that one needs to have a steady income in order to have children, do we have an unspoken prejudice against poor people having children at all?

Just grist for mill :)

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Paul said;

i watched it and i did so with my eyebrows raised in astonishment at her words "someone got to be held accountable for all "MY" children ..

lol i have no prob helping folks in need and those kids look fed and pretty healthy (i'm involved in the Philippines and believe me .those kids look like they are doing ok .. )... But , someone ELSE always needs to be held to account for ones own actions ...? there are so many things wrong with this picture .

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One thing to remember is that our misgivings about these kinds of situations come from a "first world" (North American/European) perspective. Since in many other parts of the world, many parents expect their children to take care of them once they retire; and for them, to be blunt, having more children translates into a better lifestyle in old age.

I've said before, if you want population control you have to ensure two things: Infant survival and old age social security. Handle those, and people will control the number of children they have on their own.

This isn't even a rational thought process--it's something more primeval than rational.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've said before, if you want population control you have to ensure two things: Infant survival and old age social security. Handle those, and people will control the number of children they have on their own.

This isn't even a rational thought process--it's something more primeval than rational.

for most nations ,,old age social security IS in the number of children one has to look out for you --perhaps that is what hes getting at.

of course i doubt that lady is looking past each 24 hours

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
for most nations ,,old age social security IS in the number of children one has to look out for you --perhaps that is what hes getting at.

That is also what I'm getting at. If children are your social security and infant mortality (for that matter, early mortality in general) is a concern, you will have more children. Ensure either of them, and people will voluntarily reduce the number of children they bear.

of course i doubt that lady is looking past each 24 hours

I don't think it's a rational decision, I think it's primeval, visceral, instinctive: Where life tends to be precarious, people reproduce more.

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

Paul said;

….and what would you do in this situation? It seems this woman was doing fine and then fell on some hard times. She needs help and those kids need food. We are a civilized nation that cares for people while they are down. She may not speak well or get her story across well but she has 12 healthy kids who need their mother and father.
Please don't judge her any more harshly then you would our politicians that have their hands out, and every gov't official taking a bribe or laying back collecting a check while not working. If she has 12 kids - she works all day. Yes, it would be good to ask her if she would like to get her tubes tied, but help her get into an apartment and get those kids back into a structured environment.
I think when she says, "someone needs to care for these kids" she means someone needs to care about these kids…..

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
….and what would you do in this situation? It seems this woman was doing fine and then fell on some hard times. She needs help and those kids need food. We are a civilized nation that cares for people while they are down. She may not speak well or get her story across well but she has 12 healthy kids who need their mother and father.
Please don't judge her any more harshly then you would our politicians that have their hands out, and every gov't official taking a bribe or laying back collecting a check while not working. If she has 12 kids - she works all day. Yes, it would be good to ask her if she would like to get her tubes tied, but help her get into an apartment and get those kids back into a structured environment.
I think when she says, "someone needs to care for these kids" she means someone needs to care about these kids…..

yeah ,i dont think any one has disputed tht they should be cared for .. most here have agreed ..i think.

but we are looking at other aspects ..i mean one doesn't end up with 15 children ,like oops how did that happen . it states the first 10 are to one father .. hes in prison . so .. i dont mean to sound harsh but a lot of the problems lays there with him .. and two .. God is able to provide .. and does so through us . welfare systems are fantastic in any nations that has them .but the worlds welfare system leaves out the part about .. if a man does not work he shall not eat ... then again the world system has set things up so a man cant have a few acres of land to grow his own crops and keep a goat or two ...
we need an overhaul.. oh wait .. we are getting one ..JESUS is returning :clap: :)

in the mean time .. yeah , lets just love people regardless of all their errors and do what we can to help in our own communities

Upvote 0

BrookeGF

Dec 27, 2011
South Carolina
✟15,202.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The way I look at it has always been a bit more liberal. Some people are willing to work but for whatever reason they can't. These people aren't leeching off the government. And also keep in mind that some people have not been able to find jobs.

I've been on disability since I was a teenager. I'm in school and I'm planning on searching for a job. I don't think it was ever my intention to abuse the system. It's just that I've been told for so long that I'm disabled. Some people think I can't work so they've made me believe this.

Reactions: ProudMomxmany
Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
yeah ,i dont think any one has disputed tht they should be cared for .. most here have agreed ..i think.

but we are looking at other aspects ..i mean one doesn't end up with 15 children ,like oops how did that happen . it states the first 10 are to one father .. hes in prison . so .. i dont mean to sound harsh but a lot of the problems lays there with him .. and two .. God is able to provide .. and does so through us . welfare systems are fantastic in any nations that has them .but the worlds welfare system leaves out the part about .. if a man does not work he shall not eat ... then again the world system has set things up so a man cant have a few acres of land to grow his own crops and keep a goat or two ...
we need an overhaul.. oh wait .. we are getting one ..JESUS is returning :clap: :)

in the mean time .. yeah , lets just love people regardless of all their errors and do what we can to help in our own communities

do you think our loving and merciful God meant literally if you do not work you shall not eat? Jesus told Peter feed my sheep. He didn't say if they work. Jesus fed the crowds 3 times, they did not work, they listen to him working. So was Jesus not following The Father? We know he always does. So maybe he did not mean it the way you use it. Take the old they do not work so they shall not eat? Take children again they do not work so should not eat? I am in training for ministry should I not eat? what about all students, we work we learn. But we don't go out and work in the fields. and how many people work in the fields today which is what work was back then? You literally worked your field to feed your family. If i do the Lords work it is not me doing it but him, shall I not eat?

The saying speaks of the curse of Adam he would work the field to eat. So are woman included in this too as it was for man.

If we are free in Christ and redeemed does this not mean we are not under plenty of the curses. The earth yes but us?

How many people sweat to eat. Movie stars make billions, they do not sweat, they love there job. They have talent, but who you think works harder the man working the field or an actor? so what do we consider work, it is subjective.

did he mean not to be lazy? Solomon said if you are lazy you will be poor. Maybe what God meant was to tell us to work hard so we have that blessing and that if we are lazy we will not have that blessing but be poor. But some people like me worked hard in youth. i mean landscaping, painting houses. Un loading tracker trailers full of 100 pound boxes of hams with one other person with not food in my belly. i was homeless the time i had that job. Yet i am not rich money wise, but I am the riches man alive because of what i have with God, he gave me the greatest blessing Himself. He gave me a great wife with a heart that is pure, and great kids who are a joy, and the most loving faithful dog I could ever ask for. I have my a great relationship with my dad after fighting most our life. which brings me to my point things i am blessed with are not things at all, but people. Is a manor woman not worth more than money. Is a man or woman not worth more than food. What price would you but on a man or woman because God put The Life of His Son, paid in blood.

So if God puts such a high price on people shouldn't we too. Money does not matter, maybe because i don't have it, clothing, things, even food, nothing of this world matters, only the spirit of a man and woman.

This world is trying to save the earth. God will not let it be destroyed, as if man had the power to save anything anyways, could he save him self? We have deits and sun screen and all these distractions we think will keep us alive. God has set the date for each of us when we will die, and that is when it will happen. So why get caught up in the world, Just Love, who, people, and take care of the animals, and the earth. But lets not for get the reason for this world, people, their souls coming to God. Love God and love each other. and that says it all. It is about God and people. That is what matters.

Upvote 0