So you're focussed more on eternity than the rest of your life?

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
if we don't look good to others then(being glorified), He don't look good(glorified) to others!
Not sure what you mean there. Jesus didn't look too good to His apostles at one stage. Some thought He was a loser because he was going to be crucified.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
These people saying just carry your cross and "face the music" need a reality check. Noone wishes to get seriously sick or have grave misfortune in their life. If it happens to them, I want to see how strong their faith is.

I have been dealing with serious health issues for the past three years. I used to be a gym rat and was a martial arts instructor for nearly thirty years. Now, I can't carry a bag of groceries, or mount a flight of stairs without a cane. At times, I have been bed-ridden, unable even to get up to use the washroom. Has my faith dissolved or deteriorated? No. If anything, it is stronger than its ever been. I wouldn't wish my problems on anyone but they don't change who God is or diminish His promises to me.

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what you mean there. Jesus didn't look too good to His apostles at one stage. Some thought He was a loser because he was going to be crucified.
Regardless, He is loved by all whom love and love Him forever!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Don't know where you get this idea. In chapter 6 of John some of his many disciples deserted him, not the 12. Judas betrayed him, but didn't think he was a "loser". None of the other 12 ever thought he "didn't look too good." I have been reading the Bible for 45 years, all the way through each of some of those years, and once in Spanish, yet you and I, Paul, seem to have a much different picture of the life of Jesus. This is not a criticism, or even a dig, but from your own admissions of not being that familiar with the Bible, why not set a goal to read it cover from cover in the near future?

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Old age and retirement beckon for me as I approach age 60. I see my next decade or two as opportunities to know God better and grow in the certainty of His love but I'm just hoping He doesn't "put me through the wringer" before I die. :)

Paul, you're practically a spring chicken if you're not 60 yet! ;)

Regarding the "wringer" there are two promises that I hang on to, that are two sides of the same divine coin:

1. Romans 8:28 - In everything God works for the good, the benefit, of those who love him.
2. Psalm 84: 11 - No good thing does God withhold from those whose life is blameless

No matter what happens to you, you can see God in it if you care to look, and you will understand that it's good for you; and you never need to worry that you'll ever miss out on something - anything - that's good for you. Just stay close to your Lord. He does the "blameless keeping" bit.

And since your wish "to grow in the certainty of his love" is in total sync with his own, you can rest assured that your days can be fulfilling, satisfying, and full of spiritual growth.

A little practical advice - if you're not already doing it or some other physical exercise, get in the habit of "walking daily," or some equivalent of keeping your body in decent shape. Walking in pleasant places can provide a lot of opportunity for meditation, reflection, and discussion with your Lord and Saviour, as well as doing at least the minimum of benefiting you physically and mentally. (Physical exercise, including walking, has been shown to have more benefit for the brain than playing chess or other 'mind' games.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Paul, you're practically a spring chicken if you're not 60 yet! ;)

Regarding the "wringer" there are two promises that I hang on to, that are two sides of the same divine coin:

1. Romans 8:28 - In everything God works for the good, the benefit, of those who love him.
2. Psalm 84: 11 - No good thing does God withhold from those whose life is blameless

No matter what happens to you, you can see God in it if you care to look, and you will understand that it's good for you; and you never need to worry that you'll ever miss out on something - anything - that's good for you. Just stay close to your Lord. He does the "blameless keeping" bit.

And since your wish "to grow in the certainty of his love" is in total sync with his own, you can rest assured that your days can be fulfilling, satisfying, and full of spiritual growth.

A little practical advice - if you're not already doing it or some other physical exercise, get in the habit of "walking daily," or some equivalent of keeping your body in decent shape. Walking in pleasant places can provide a lot of opportunity for meditation, reflection, and discussion with your Lord and Saviour, as well as doing at least the minimum of benefiting you physically and mentally. (Physical exercise, including walking, has been shown to have more benefit for the brain than placing chess or other 'mind' games.)
I welcome your post monna.
Some compassion mixed with practical advice and so positive. Cheers.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I have been dealing with serious health issues for the past three years. I used to be a gym rat and was a martial arts instructor for nearly thirty years. Now, I can't carry a bag of groceries, or mount a flight of stairs without a cane. At times, I have been bed-ridden, unable even to get up to use the washroom. Has my faith dissolved or deteriorated? No. If anything, it is stronger than its ever been. I wouldn't wish my problems on anyone but they don't change who God is or diminish His promises to me.
See this is the kind of post that stops me in my tracks and probably other people too. Why cant we just drop the religious labels now and then and accept that we are all human beings, vulnerable and at the mercy of God. So fragile that any of us could die tomorrow.
I would never have known this about you, unless you had told me. But I'm glad you did because I now see you are human after all and not some one-eyed Protestant protecting his slant on Christianity.
Because most of us are destined to become one dimensional flotsam and jetsam in the minds of other CF members. Personally I would like to see people show more of their personal side. :)
God Bless and hope your suffering is not too much to bear

• Winner
Reactions: Maria.V.H
Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I have life long health issues due to premature birth. I think they're a reason I ama Christian because God was there from my earliest days. I get frustrated by my circumstances sometimes, but I think it has strengthened my faith in God. He has been faithful to me.

I do plan to enjoy the time allotted to me here and want to reach my goals.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
See this is the kind of post that stops me in my tracks and probably other people too. Why cant we just drop the religious labels now and then and accept that we are all human beings, vulnerable and at the mercy of God. So fragile that any of us could die tomorrow.

Yup. I've had my fair share of pain - sometimes really awful pain. I know how frail I am, which is no small admission coming from a guy who was at one time seriously preoccupied with strength and fighting skill. God's had to teach me the hard way to stay dependent upon Him. It's been...humbling and sometimes very scary. But I can see the value in the suffering that's come my way (not always, mind you, but most of the time). As I've let go of defining myself by way of my physical prowess, God has begun reshaping me more and more after the character of Christ. It's slow going, I must admit. I'm rather thick-headed and set in my ways.

I would never have known this about you, unless you had told me. But I'm glad you did because I now see you are human after all and not some one-eyed Protestant protecting his slant on Christianity.

Uh...yeah...Hmmm...I've got both my eyes. You know, the things I write about on this site are not, for me, just theological ideas to defend, but divine truth that has powerfully transformed my life. I don't care about being right for its own sake; I care about the power of God's truth to change lives for the better. I may come off very direct and matter-of-fact, but not with the intent to dominate an argument, but rather to defeat false teaching that ruins lives and to urge fellow believers toward the truth that can bring them into the abundant life with God that He holds out to all. I'm glad giving you a bit of a peek into my life off-line has made me seem less one-dimensional to you.

Because most of us are destined to become one dimensional flotsam and jetsam in the minds of other CF members. Personally I would like to see people show more of their personal side. :)
God Bless and hope your suffering is not too much to bear

Thanks very much for your well-wishes! Very kind. I have good days and bad. God walks with me through them all. How glad I am of that!

Last edited:
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to think the rest of my life was reasonably happy, free of awful suffering, some joy and contentedness. As much as I know how important eternity is, I still value happiness here. I want something to look forward to on earth, just as much, if not more than the after life. There are no guarantees after we die. (I mean we don't really know what God will decide on Judgement Day for sure and certain). Old age and retirement beckon for me as I approach age 60. I see my next decade or two as opportunities to know God better and grow in the certainty of His love but I'm just hoping He doesn't "put me through the wringer" before I die. :)
You want the things of this world
You get the things of this world.
You lose all of the next.
The holy spirit gives me the assurance of salvation
I need not fear his judgment at all.
If we walk in his spirit we do not fulfil the evil desires of the flesh.

If we do not have such assurance of salvation then we cannot in honesty say we are saved.

Repent.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You want the things of this world
You get the things of this world.
You lose all of the next.
The holy spirit gives me the assurance of salvation
I need not fear his judgment at all.
If we walk in his spirit we do not fulfil the evil desires of the flesh.

If we do not have such assurance of salvation then we cannot in honesty say we are saved.

Repent.
I like most of this, but don't agree with the last statement. John wrote to people that were saved but did not have assurance of salvation when he wrote 1 John 5:12-13. That is why he wrote what he did; so those believers could know that they already had eternal life and would go to heaven when they died.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like most of this, but don't agree with the last statement. John wrote to people that were saved but did not have assurance of salvation when he wrote 1 John 5:12-13. That is why he wrote what he did; so those believers could know that they already had eternal life and would go to heaven when they died.
Only if they had ceased from the practice if sin mind... Also in the same letter.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Repent.
Don't worry I repent every day.
Cant say I agree with you about such "assurance." I'm guessing such "assurance" leads to complacency and away from God instead of towards Him.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,479,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cant say I agree with you about such "assurance." I'm guessing such "assurance" leads to complacency and away from God instead of towards Him.

People at that time--remember that Rome was going to be pagan for another 200+ years--needed assurance that God's favor was not fickle as that of their pagan gods. They needed to know that they were and had always been part of God's plan, they were not favored just on a momentary whim to be cast away again at the next momentary whim.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Assurance means assurance.
Repenting every day means continually sinning in order to Repent which means repentance has not yet sincerely occured.

Saying sorry I confess it please forgive me.
Is not repentance.

And without repentance there is no forgiveness for sin.
John stated if a person continues to practice sin They do not know God.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People at that time--remember that Rome was going to be pagan for another 200+ years--needed assurance that God's favor was not fickle as that of their pagan gods. They needed to know that they were and had always been part of God's plan, they were not favored just on a momentary whim to be cast away again at the next momentary whim.
It's the Holy Spirit who bares witness with us that gives us assurance of salvation. I sleep in peace and wake in joy knowing I am reconciled to God and have a clear conscience towards God .
Only knowingly doing works of sin can separate me from him.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Repenting every day means continually sinning in order to Repent which means repentance has not yet sincerely occured.
So you don't need to repent every day? Good for you!
I recommend it. Its good for the soul!

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'd like to think the rest of my life was reasonably happy, free of awful suffering, some joy and contentedness. As much as I know how important eternity is, I still value happiness here. I want something to look forward to on earth, just as much, if not more than the after life. There are no guarantees after we die. (I mean we don't really know what God will decide on Judgement Day for sure and certain). Old age and retirement beckon for me as I approach age 60. I see my next decade or two as opportunities to know God better and grow in the certainty of His love but I'm just hoping He doesn't "put me through the wringer" before I die. :)

you are right about that - eternity must be well planned

Blessings

Upvote 0