So you're focussed more on eternity than the rest of your life?

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'd like to think the rest of my life was reasonably happy, free of awful suffering, some joy and contentedness. As much as I know how important eternity is, I still value happiness here. I want something to look forward to on earth, just as much, if not more than the after life. There are no guarantees after we die. (I mean we don't really know what God will decide on Judgement Day for sure and certain). Old age and retirement beckon for me as I approach age 60. I see my next decade or two as opportunities to know God better and grow in the certainty of His love but I'm just hoping He doesn't "put me through the wringer" before I die. :)

Symph

Jul 6, 2017
NASHVILLE
✟90,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to think the rest of my life was reasonably happy, free of awful suffering, some joy and contentedness. As much as I know how important eternity is, I still value happiness here. I want something to look forward to on earth, just as much, if not more than the after life. There are no guarantees after we die. (I mean we don't really know what God will decide on Judgement Day for sure and certain). Old age and retirement beckon for me as I approach age 60. I see my next decade or two as opportunities to know God better and grow in the certainty of His love but I'm just hoping He doesn't "put me through the wringer" before I die. :)
I don't think the bible is a "when you die" religion at all. I think half the times that it's talking about entering the kingdom of heaven, the christian thinks it means "The place we go when we die" and it's talking about entering HERE AND NOW. The kingdom of heaven is here, the kingdom of heaven is within you. I think the worst thing that ever happened to christianity was when it became a "how do I avoid hell when I die" religion. We should all be striving to enter the kingdom NOW, you are definitely thinking correctly.

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I agree. I'm trying to do that. But you need to earn a living, don't you?
That's true, I need money for all those statues, books, and fun anti-puritan stuff to celebrate those Catholic Feasts (see here: A lighter note)

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

I agree with the sentiment that one should enjoy their life now.

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
"Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you."

St. Matthew 6:33 DRV (emphasis added)
Of course, we should be careful not to fall into the prosperity gospel heresy. There really is a deep joy and peace in bearing one's cross and suffering.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In fact I tend to agree with your sentiments here as my life is lived presently. But saying this, I recognise that my faith is weak and I am full of admiration for those who, have lived their lives without a thought for their present comforts and only press on to meet the higher calling. I guess you could say I am in a field of shallow soil and many weeds, just hope I'm not going to run out of water or be choked before He revolutionises my life and/or calls me Home.

Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I want something to look forward to on earth, just as much, if not more than the after life. There are no guarantees after we die. (I mean we don't really know what God will decide on Judgement Day for sure and certain).

Praying for you, my dear sir.

Our daily mission as followers of Christ Jesus is to actively show the love of our Lord Christ Jesus to everyone we interact with....actively show the love of our Lord Christ Jesus in very tangible ways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I look more forward to heaven then I do being here. However since I married I now am in no hurry to leave earth yet. Though without sounding weird I now realize this means I may have to deal with losing my wife before me or vica versa when we are older. I don't want that future. Its why I just pray we die peacefully in our sleep or Jesus just comes back before we pass so there is no death to deal with at all.

I currently don't really have any goals in life. Never have really. Its not I don't care, I just realize alot of the goals don't mean anything in the end. I mean for example if I had a goal of eventually traveling to lets say Italy. Its meaningless in the end. Now if I could find a cure for cancer, that is something meaningful worth pursuing. Not because I want the glory, but because I can leave a meaningful impact on the planet.

I currently just live my life a day at a time. Especially with health problems I never know what the next day brings. My wife on the other hand does have goals like learning to drive, becoming a citizen, possibly having a baby (I assume with me... lol).

• Informative
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The kingdom of heaven is here, the kingdom of heaven is within you.
Did a whole thread on that one. Apparently strictly speaking, the Bible says that the Kingdom of God is not within you." :)

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
We should all be striving to enter the kingdom NOW,
Yes but I'm afraid that might mean inordinate suffering such as liking people I usually despise. :)

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its why I just pray we die peacefully in our sleep
My uncle Joe died peacefully in his sleep, which is the best way to go. Unlike the 3 passengers in his car whom were screaming in terror! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I'd like to think the rest of my life was reasonably happy, free of awful suffering, some joy and contentedness. As much as I know how important eternity is, I still value happiness here. I want something to look forward to on earth, just as much, if not more than the after life. There are no guarantees after we die. (I mean we don't really know what God will decide on Judgement Day for sure and certain).

That's where Protestants and Catholics depart, I suppose. My church does not encourage vagueness in that area, that's not seen as compatible with a healthy faith.

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
That's where Protestants and Catholics depart, I suppose. My church does not encourage vagueness in that area, that's not seen as compatible with a healthy faith.
That's not exactly accurate, for example, I know that if I die right now I'll get to Heaven, eventually -the eventually is a whole other topic for another time- because I know, that right now, I'm in a state of grace. As long one is in a state of grace, Heaven is guaranteed for them, so if a Catholic has a rightly formed conscience, and has avoided mortal sin, -which, in fact, is only the first step in ones spiritual life, not the end, but again, another topic for another time- that Catholic can be confident, that he/she is going to Heaven.

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bruddah Paul, G'day mate:

You need not ever fear life. Those whom are afraid to die are afraid to live. I love riding big waves because it is living. Yes, there are at
least a thousand things that could kill me out there yet, love casts out fear. Yet, the act of riding big waves can only be explained truthfully in sexual terms so, I will spare everyone.

One of the biggest waves I ever surfed was being blinded at age 9. There are no words that could describe what I went through. Yet, I was not terrified. I trusted God way back then.

A pastor of a church was visiting the neighborhood passing out his card and inviting people to his church. After the accident, my mother asked if that pastor would visit me in the hospital. He did and gave me my first bible, even though I couldn't read it or, even see it.

That pastor eventually married my mother; moved us to Southern California near the beach. Taught me the Word of God. Taught me how to surf. Taught me how to play the guitar: my three favorite things!

That big wave event of my life is THEE BEST THING that ever happened to me and my family! It was a great ride! "T'was blind but now I see".

Never fear! The Christian experience is: NO fear; NO shame; NO guilt--just life more abundant! Enjoy the ride my friend! It's all good!

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Bruddah Paul, G'day mate:

You need not ever fear life. Those whom are afraid to die are afraid to live. I love riding big waves because it is living. Yes, there are at
least a thousand things that could kill me out there yet, love casts out fear. Yet, the act of riding big waves can only be explained truthfully in sexual terms so, I will spare everyone.

One of the biggest waves I ever surfed was being blinded at age 9. There are no words that could describe what I went through. Yet, I was not terrified. I trusted God way back then.

A pastor of a church was visiting the neighborhood passing out his card and inviting people to his church. After the accident, my mother asked if that pastor would visit me in the hospital. He did and gave me my first bible, even though I couldn't read it or, even see it.

That pastor eventually married my mother; moved us to Southern California near the beach. Taught me the Word of God. Taught me how to surf. Taught me how to play the guitar: my three favorite things!

That big wave event of my life is THEE BEST THING that ever happened to me and my family! It was a great ride! "T'was blind but now I see".

Never fear! The Christian experience is: NO fear; NO shame; NO guilt--just life more abundant! Enjoy the ride my friend! It's all good!
Well what about those big waves like cancer, dementia, strokes and losing your partner? :)

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
That's not exactly accurate, for example, I know that if I die right now I'll get to Heaven, eventually -the eventually is a whole other topic for another time- because I know, that right now, I'm in a state of grace. As long one is in a state of grace, Heaven is guaranteed for them, so if a Catholic has a rightly formed conscience, and has avoided mortal sin, -which, in fact, is only the first step in ones spiritual life, not the end, but again, another topic for another time- that Catholic can be confident, that he/she is going to Heaven.
It would surprise me if God really cared about the legalities tbh. "heart" and "attitude" are going to be the big ones.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0