So you're focussed more on eternity than the rest of your life?

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
That's where Protestants and Catholics depart, I suppose. My church does not encourage vagueness in that area, that's not seen as compatible with a healthy faith.
But if Catholicism guaranteed Heaven, I'd become too complacent and rest on my laurels. Best to keep us all honest I think. :)

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Its why I just pray we die peacefully in our sleep
Don't we all! :)
For people like me, it can become an obsession. Some famous counselling academic said that "our chief anxiety is fear of death from which all other anxieties are sourced from". If we knew we were just going to pass peacefully one day, we could focus more easily on other things. :)
I've come to the conclusion that my death is going to be the biggest anticlimax of my life. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Haipule
Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well what about those big waves like cancer, dementia, strokes and losing your partner? :)
I have since suffered homelessness; six heart attacks, and a stroke--It's still all good!

I also suffer, 4 and1/2 years now, with one of the rarest disorders on the planet. It can't be described. It is completely awkward! Still--it's all good! It has a high suicide rate. But suicide, well...that's the VERY last thing I would do!!! :)

Reactions: frettr00
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I have since suffered homelessness; six heart attacks, and a stroke--It's still all good!

I also suffer, 4 and1/2 years now, with one of the rarest disorders on the planet. It can't be described. It is completely awkward! Still--it's all good! It has a high suicide rate. But suicide, well...that's the VERY last thing I would do!!! :)
You've suffered I have to admit. God Bless you for maintaining the faith!

Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to think the rest of my life was reasonably happy, free of awful suffering, some joy and contentedness. As much as I know how important eternity is, I still value happiness here. I want something to look forward to on earth, just as much, if not more than the after life. There are no guarantees after we die. (I mean we don't really know what God will decide on Judgement Day for sure and certain). Old age and retirement beckon for me as I approach age 60. I see my next decade or two as opportunities to know God better and grow in the certainty of His love but I'm just hoping He doesn't "put me through the wringer" before I die. :)
John chapter 17 verse 3
Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

You do that by studying the bible, and you can even begin now if you want.

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You've suffered I have to admit. God Bless you for maintaining the faith!
Rather, maintaining my trust! It's not so hard: He is trustworthy!!! He made us all promises and HE'S GOING TO KEEP THEM!!!

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It would surprise me if God really cared about the legalities tbh. "heart" and "attitude" are going to be the big ones.
These "legalities" refer to "heart and attitude." (that is the will) Like I said, if I die right now, I'm confident I would make it to Heaven Eventually, that is, I'll probably have to go through purgatory to get my heart and attitude straightened-out. How long will that take, and how much straightening out do I need? Only God knows.

Apologies if I sound like a know-it-all, I'm Catholic nerd! :)

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Apologies if I sound like a know-it-all, I'm Catholic nerd!
don't worry I usually love nerds. But some conservative catholics such as yourself seem to value the trees over the forest, to be honest. Important to maintain big picture, in my opinion. And its my bias I guess too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well what about those big waves like cancer, dementia, strokes and losing your partner? :)
I did online research into diets that prevent cancer, heart disease, strokes and dementia. After I followed a better dietary plan, I felt better inside.

In the Sermon on the Mount (Matt. 6), Jesus taught people to keep their minds on what they should do today, then tomorrow will take care of tomorrow.

A man was 64 and one year away from retiring. He had an aneurysm and went off the road into a tree. All those thoughts about retirement turned out to be a waste of time. His widow was 15 years younger than he at home with little children.

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Funny we are about to start Jonah in Bible Study next week. He ran away from God initially didn't he. I can relate to that, if it involves awful suffering. :)
I love Jonah, how he disobeyed God's directive and went the exact opposite way only to be puked out of a fish onto the shores of Nineveh regardless! How he becomes one the worlds greatest evangelists ever and then go's up to a hill to watch the train wreck, the worm and the gourd thingy, and by his teaching the city is spared! And people tell me we have a "freewill"! :)

Upvote 0

John919

Aug 13, 2017
St Louis
✟10,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
God does not put you through the ringer nor does he temped you. Satan will. If you are in Jesus Christ you can not be touched by Satan or his minions. But Satan does and will bring your kind, Mankind who he has deceived against you to destroy you. We as true followers of Jesus Christ return Good to any evil that comes against us. The best Good we can do is give the True word of God to those that would do us harm.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God does not put you through the ringer nor does he temped you. Satan will. If you are in Jesus Christ you can not be touched by Satan or his minions. But Satan does and will bring your kind, Mankind who he has deceived against you to destroy you. We as true followers of Jesus Christ return Good to any evil that comes against us. The best Good we can do is give the True word of God to those that would do us harm.
I have been attacked many times by the Kingdom of Darkness. It's always the same. He uses others to attack me! It ain't gonna work! I complain to God that he is cheating! God always agrees and it's over! The people apologize and say, "I don't know what got into me". I forgive and move on.

However, when they don't apologize, it gets real ugly!

• Informative
Upvote 0

Friend-of-Jesus

Jul 21, 2017
Alberta
✟45,031.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to think the rest of my life was reasonably happy, free of awful suffering, some joy and contentedness. As much as I know how important eternity is, I still value happiness here. I want something to look forward to on earth, just as much, if not more than the after life. There are no guarantees after we die. (I mean we don't really know what God will decide on Judgement Day for sure and certain). Old age and retirement beckon for me as I approach age 60. I see my next decade or two as opportunities to know God better and grow in the certainty of His love but I'm just hoping He doesn't "put me through the wringer" before I die. :)

Is yoir own happiness and comfort the only thing you want? How about bringing goodness to people around? Do you care about that?

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Is yoir own happiness and comfort the only thing you want? How about bringing goodness to people around? Do you care about that?
I think if I'm in a better place emotionally, physically and spiritually, I am more able to help others.

Upvote 0