So you're focussed more on eternity than the rest of your life?

pius463

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2016
Indonesia
✟30,407.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to think the rest of my life was reasonably happy, free of awful suffering, some joy and contentedness. As much as I know how important eternity is, I still value happiness here. I want something to look forward to on earth, just as much, if not more than the after life. There are no guarantees after we die. (I mean we don't really know what God will decide on Judgement Day for sure and certain). Old age and retirement beckon for me as I approach age 60. I see my next decade or two as opportunities to know God better and grow in the certainty of His love but I'm just hoping He doesn't "put me through the wringer" before I die. :)

I believe that Jesus is God. He loves us. I don't know exactly what He will give, but I believe it is a better place than living here on Earth and in this Imperfect Realm.

How human enjoy this place, it is up to individuals to judge.
What Jesus says about where we are now, it is John 3:18.

I learned that here on Earth we cannot control everything. Imagine Syrian, imagine Venezuela, imagine bad things humanity ever suffered and will suffer ( Luke 13:3, Luke 13:5 ). After learning something about what our life here are, I am longing for the eternal life ( John 17:3 ), moving from the Imperfect Realm to the Perfect Realm.

Reactions: Haipule
Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life. That is not "nothing"! We are to be but a sheep of the fold. It is really, really, good! God's Faith(the Word); God's Hope(in the Word); God's Love; God's righteousness as the Maker of all things, which all things, only exist by His standard, which is His perfection, His standard, His Righteousness! Pursuing that Faith, that Hope, that Love, that Righteousness: makes us all His Glorified conquerors! No one has ever "glorified" God with out BEING glorified by Him! NO ONE!

The world is yours/ours and all it contains--SEISE IT! Just don't think you can go anywhere without us!

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,013.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well what about those big waves like cancer, dementia, strokes and losing your partner? :)

We may have to go through any of the first three, or even all of them; but God is with us, will never leave us and nothing can separate us from his love.

Upvote 0

John919

Aug 13, 2017
St Louis
✟10,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You mean he has never tested someone's faith? Or allowed them to suffer extraordinary pain?
God does not temped you but he test you every day by giving you free will to make your own choices to do goods or evil. Can telling you the truth of what is good and acceptable unto the redemption and salvation of your soul through Jesus Christ the living word of God that was made flesh for are sake, giving you a way out of going into everlasting damnation. You don't have to teach a child to lie. They will do that on their own by way of our fallen nature, you do how ever have to teach them to tell the truth, not hit, not disrespect their elders and the list goes on... .
As far as pain goes we are in this world but not partakers in the sin of it.. We strive to live our lives on earth as we would in the Kingdom of heaven. The Holy Ghost is our guide through this life and will help us endure the pain of heart, mind and body that the things of this world bring our way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to think the rest of my life was reasonably happy, free of awful suffering, some joy and contentedness. As much as I know how important eternity is, I still value happiness here. I want something to look forward to on earth, just as much, if not more than the after life. There are no guarantees after we die. (I mean we don't really know what God will decide on Judgement Day for sure and certain). Old age and retirement beckon for me as I approach age 60. I see my next decade or two as opportunities to know God better and grow in the certainty of His love but I'm just hoping He doesn't "put me through the wringer" before I die. :)

"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither." - C. S. Lewis

Upvote 0

Matthew B

Feb 9, 2017
Texas
✟15,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I remember a verse saying something like do God's will and He will reveal to you the things to come. Paul knew when he was going to die and I'm convinced it's possible! I would be focusing heavily on the Bible. May grace be granted to you.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you."

St. Matthew 6:33 DRV (emphasis added)
Of course, we should be careful not to fall into the prosperity gospel heresy. There really is a deep joy and peace in bearing one's cross and suffering.

The prosperity doctrine is very subtle. I think it's an underlying danger of Calvinist thinking, which of course, Catholics don't deal with theologically, but there is enough of that particular line of Calvinist-leaning thought embedded in Western thought in general and American thought in particular that it might have rubbed off on all of us to a degree.

Jesus never promised us a rose garden, of course, but rather, He promised each of us an individual Via Dolorosa in the sense of the world.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
But if Catholicism guaranteed Heaven, I'd become too complacent and rest on my laurels. Best to keep us all honest I think. :)

"God did not give the children of Israel the law (the Ten Commandments) and then have them say 'we'll do everything the Lord says' and then He says 'good, now I'll save you, I'll take you out of Egypt on eagle's wings. Rather, God saved them first. "Now, because I've saved you ... obey me."

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John919

Aug 13, 2017
St Louis
✟10,965.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The question was "So you're focused more on eternity than the rest of your life?" We focused on both in this life on earth we want to live as a light unto the Truth About God and the Kingdom of Heaven. The brightest light of the Truth that is came to this world in the Flesh the living Word of God in Human Flesh Jesus Christ.
Those who follow Jesus Christ in the Way, Truth and Life according to every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. You can find this teaching in Matthew 16: 26 and Mark 8:
34 And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
35 For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.
36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
37 Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
38 Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of the things that often happens to a Christian man turning into his 60s is that Ecclesiastes suddenly begins to make inherent sense.

One looks back on the things that seemed so important and so necessary, so needful of our time and energy and occupation...and one sees those things have been Overcome By Events ("OBE" in military terms).

The Great Pyramid of Giza still stands, but what was the name of the architect? Who was it even intended for? The world doesn't know; the world doesn't even care. The concerns of those men have been Overcome By Events.

Whatever I'm doing right now, whatever I'm worrying about right now will very soon be Overcome By Events. OBE.

They seem so real in front of me right now, but the Teacher in Ecclesiastes says they are nothing but vapor, and now I get it. Vapor wafts out of your mouth on a cold day, and it seems like something that is tangible, something real. But you can't grasp it, you can't touch it, it doesn't even remain the same shape, and then it disappears.

Everything in this world s merely vapor.

Except one thing. There is one thing that crosses over from this world to the next: The souls of those who belong to Christ.

The only things we can do in this world that will be forever meaningful are those things we do for those who will be forever alive.

If someday "in another time and another place," someone says, "I remember you--you told me about Jesus."

Or, "I remember you. You supported my mission."

Or, "I remember you. I was hungry--you took me to McDonald's that day."

Or, "I remember you. I was lonely, sitting alone one day. You came over and sat beside me and just talked for a while."

We each are the treasure in heaven, which we build up when we build each other up.

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hey @bettercallpaul I'm doing a renewal of Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary, for the the Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows. I'm doing Fr. Michael E. Gaitley's version, and today's reading sort of touches on this subject:

"There's a story from St. Louis de Montfort's life that particularly expresses his passion, which we pondered just yesterday. In the town of Pontchateau, St. Louis inspired the peasants to build a huge monument to the Passion of Christ on a neighboring hill. For 15 months, hundreds of peasants volunteered their skills and labor to build it. When completed, it stood as a massive structure, a real labor of love, and on the day before it was supposed to be dedicated by the bishop, word got back to Louis that his enemies had convinced the government to destroy it. (They had lied to the authorities, saying that the structure was actually meant to be a fortress against the government.) When Louis received this disappointing news, he told the thousands of people who had gathered for the blessing ceremony, "We had hoped to build a Calvary here. Let us build it in our hearts. Blessed be God."

One thing about doing the Lord's work: It doesn't always turn out according to our plans. For example, St. Louis surely had planned that his monument to Christ would last more than a day. Yet the saint obediently accepted the destruction of his plans and blessed God. Because of this kind of detachment from his own will and attachment to God's will, St. Louis became an instrument used by God to accomplish even mightier works.
"

-33 Days to Morning Glory: A Do-it-Yourself Retreat in preparation for Marian Consecration
By Father Michael E. Gaitley MIC

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to think the rest of my life was reasonably happy, free of awful suffering, some joy and contentedness.

Job 5:7
7 Yet man is born to trouble, As the sparks fly upward.

As much as I know how important eternity is, I still value happiness here. I want something to look forward to on earth, just as much, if not more than the after life.

Colossians 3:1-2
1 Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
2 Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.

There are no guarantees after we die. (I mean we don't really know what God will decide on Judgement Day for sure and certain).

1 John 5:11-13
11 And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.
12 He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.
13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

I see my next decade or two as opportunities to know God better and grow in the certainty of His love but I'm just hoping He doesn't "put me through the wringer" before I die. :)

The tree against which the wind blows often has the deepest and strongest roots. The purest metal has endured the greatest heat. A diamond is formed under long and terrible pressure. Many are the examples from our world that teach us that adversity, pain and suffering are an important - even necessary - part of developing strength, maturity and purity. If God doesn't make us needy, we will not depend upon Him as we should and we will not even recognize that we should. And if we are not depending completely upon God, we cannot walk with Him well. The ease and comfort you desire will only, in the end, corrupt and weaken you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
These people saying just carry your cross and "face the music" need a reality check. Noone wishes to get seriously sick or have grave misfortune in their life. If it happens to them, I want to see how strong their faith is.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These people saying just carry your cross and "face the music" need a reality check. Noone wishes to get seriously sick or have grave misfortune in their life. If it happens to them, I want to see how strong their faith is.

Nobody wants sickness or grave misfortune.

The question is whether Jesus ever promised that faith would prevent it.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

(I mean we don't really know what God will decide on Judgement Day for sure and certain). On the contrary. Unless man's word is more dependable than God's Word (The Bible), the person that knows what the Bible says does know. 1 John 5:12-13.

Upvote 0

Haipule

Jun 20, 2017
Honokawai, Maui HI
✟32,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have faced some of greatest adversities known to mankind. BIG DEAL! Who cares? God was bigger and stronger than all of it!

Dealing with wealth and prosperity, in grotesque abundance, is really, really hard!

Do you know that God tells us what to do with our wealth? But never told us what to do with prosperity! What is the difference?

Wealth is what God does with the work of our hands that He gives you to do. Prosperity is what God does completely independent of your hands, or anything else you do. It's all Him.

If you read Jesus' words about the "Kingdom", that is true prosperity! It is all Him!

Since we have not been told what to do with prosperity: what do you do with it?

All you can do, and this from someone who has been there, is share and enjoy it with others. IT WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO BE GIVEN BECAUSE IT IS NOT WEALTH NO MATTER HOW MUCH! Always remember this my friend: if we don't look good to others then(being glorified), He don't look good(glorified) to others! THAT is the true meaning of what it means to be a witness and testimony of the Living God!

Stay shiny my friend and share all! He's got plenty!

Last edited:
Upvote 0