So what do you do about the embarrassing celebration of the confederacy that is Stone Mountain.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Are those men who "sent soldiers" dead? If so, it is a remembering of the dead. You may not like those dead people, but quite obviously a lot do (according to Wikipedia, it has been the most visited destination in the state of Georgia since 2017).

That's not saying much, considering Georgia doesn't rank very high as a tourist destination in general.

Perhaps if Georgia were not so known for its legacy of racism, things could be different. As it is, relics like Stone Mountain do little to benefit the state's image.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem is that Stone Mountain is not some war monument, but a commemoration of a group of people who went to war to defend their right to own other human beings, finished as recently as 1970.

It's time to let nature take its course and for the state of Georgia to stop celebrating slavery.
Since it is a tourist attraction there are options to add more diverse aspects. And, it’s not sitting on the courthouse lawn.

Reactions: tbstor
Upvote 0

tbstor

Sifting through the unknowable.
May 23, 2020
Baltimore
✟28,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
  • Informative
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's true of any democratic decision outside of this century. I don't see the significance of mentioning it.

Sorry, was it a "democratic will" if blacks and women weren't involved?

My point was there was a population that was property that could not even tell their owners how they want to be treated.

You say democratic like just having the state houses voting on it makes it true. It doesn't. There is no clear path for a state to leave the union.

This was not a good thing for the south, no matter how you show it. They wanted to keep slaves, they didn't want the rest of the union telling them that they couldn't own slaves, and all the state governments voting themselves out of the union doesn't justify their action.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

tbstor

May 23, 2020
Baltimore
✟28,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You say democratic like just having the state houses voting on it makes it true. It doesn't. There is no clear path for a state to leave the union.

This was not a good thing for the south, no matter how you show it. They wanted to keep slaves, they didn't want the rest of the union telling them that they couldn't own slaves, and all the state governments voting themselves out of the union doesn't justify their action.
The state houses voting on it did make it true. Secession occurred through democratic channels. However, those democratic decisions were undone via non-democratic intervention (for better or worse).

I didn't say the democratic nature of secession "justified" it. We haven't spoken on the issue of justification. All I said was "reinforcing is aggressive action if it is done in anticipation of an undesired democratic result."

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Every democratic result excluded blacks and women for most of history. It is useless to mention it unless you are willing to question the legitimacy of all democratic decisions that fall outside of this century.

And you may think anything you'd like, I won't stop you. But that doesn't move me one way or the other.
Yes, but probably not the best moral appeal to make when in this case the people with the most at stake had the least say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Reinforcing is aggressive action if it is done in anticipation of an undesired democratic result. As well, it isn't clear that those forts were "taken by force." No shots were fired (to my knowledge). It was as simple as them securing their states.

Your knowledge is incorrect.

The forts were taken by force:

Battle of Fort Sumter - Wikipedia

Fort Sumter surrendered after being bombarded by shore batteries and resupply efforts failed.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I think it is an excellent idea to have vegetation partially obscure the relief - almost like an old-fashioned Folly. Not only would it look nice, but it would send the message that this is set-aside - like the legs of Ozymandias, a triumphalism that came to naught. They could then keep the memorial lawn in front of it, and the contextual image would be that we have set it behind us, and allowed growth from it. It would also be the cheapest option by far.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The south leaving the union was not democratic as there was a significate portion of the populace that was not allowed to vote for representative government.

That's true. Even for white people in the confederacy, political freedoms were far from certain. The Confederacy regularly persecuted dissenting voices, particularly those that objected to slavery or who had sympathies with the Union.

• Informative
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Well yes Lincoln was not an abolitionist, which the South falsely painted him as. He believed Slavery was economically dead and would die a natural death. He would not support expanding it to new states, but was not about to abolish it.

That's why the Confederacy was not just fighting for slavery, but the expansion of slavery. That should make memorializing them even more problematic.

• Agree
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

tbstor

May 23, 2020
Baltimore
✟28,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Your knowledge is incorrect.

The forts were taken by force:

Battle of Fort Sumter - Wikipedia

Fort Sumter surrendered after being bombarded by shore batteries and resupply efforts failed.
Yes, because the administration in the North failed to peacefully withdraw from the Fort. It was then on Confederate land after secession.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The state houses voting on it did make it true. Secession occurred through democratic channels. However, those democratic decisions were undone via non-democratic intervention (for better or worse).

I didn't say the democratic nature of secession "justified" it. We haven't spoken on the issue of justification. All I said was "reinforcing is aggressive action if it is done in anticipation of an undesired democratic result."

Reinforcing is by itself is not aggression. Rumors of reinforcing, which some of the governors were acting on, is not aggression. Taking forts and armories, even if it was just by intimidation and not a shot was fired, is aggression.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One of our great history books are coming under attack. Will the Bible be next? It's being called hate speech more and more everyday.
What history book is being attacked and by whom?

Upvote 0

tbstor

May 23, 2020
Baltimore
✟28,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Reinforcing is by itself is not aggression. Rumors of reinforcing, which some of the governors were acting on, is not aggression. Taking forts and armories, even if it was just by intimidation and not a shot was fired, is aggression.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I see it as an act of self-preservation and not aggression.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What history book is being attacked and by whom?

The Bible. On numerous forums I've been hearing more and more about the Bible being hate speach.

• Haha
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,773.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree here. I see it as an act of self-preservation and not aggression.
It could be both. The main reason for the southern states to leave the union was to maintain their way of life, so from their standpoint, it was an act of self-preservation. It was a desperate move though, and taking the forts and armories moved the rest of the union against them.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,907.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The Bible. On numerous forums I've been hearing more and more about the Bible being hate speach.
There are definitely passages in the Bible that can be defined as hate speech.

In regard to this thread this springs to mind “Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18).

Upvote 0