So, According to my Christian Peers, I am dammned to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 28, 2012
✟15,124.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Oh man, you are going to get about a 100 different responses to this. Many people claim to know what God said, or what God wants. I don't know. I do know that Jesus was more interested in what kind of person you were to others than how devout you were to his God. He preached love, tolerance, and mercy. If you happen to be praying to the wrong God, but are a positive to others around you, then I doubt you would be going to hell if it even exists.

Oh, hell exists. Debating the existence of hell is out of the question for me, I fully believe in it.

i actually await the responses with great anticipation.
It may be amusing to observe, and rather educational.

Upvote 0

Trogool

Apr 3, 2012
✟3,694.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green
It depends. Certainly, praying to angels is nothing wrong, I think. Some churches really dislike angels for whatever reason, but praying to them and asking for their help isn't witchcraft.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say it was you asked God to send you an angel to reveal the future. Angels don't know the future.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2012
✟15,124.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
It depends. Certainly, praying to angels is nothing wrong, I think. Some churches really dislike angels for whatever reason, but praying to them and asking for their help isn't witchcraft.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say it was you asked God to send you an angel to reveal the future. Angels don't know the future.

I asked God to send an angel to reveal the PROBABLE future.

everything can be predicted via mathematics.
And psycology.
Spiritual beings are hundreds of thousands of times more advanced in math then we are-
their brains are not limited by ours.

But just as an insurance company can predict your life based on the contents of what you throw in your trash,
So can an angel based on the personality and mathematical probability of something ocurring.

Upvote 0

Trogool

Apr 3, 2012
✟3,694.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green
I asked God to send an angel to reveal the PROBABLE future.

everything can be predicted via mathematics.
And psycology.
Spiritual beings are hundreds of thousands of times more advanced in math then we are-
their brains are not limited by ours.

But just as an insurance company can predict your life based on the contents of what you throw in your trash,
So can an angel based on the personality and mathematical probability of something ocurring.

That's nice. It's not really what angels are here for, however. Your pastor probably didn't process this justification and assumed this was an attempt at divination. Some spiritual elders today have the gift of clairvoyance, but that is by the grace of the Holy Spirit, not asking for an angel to act as a predictive mechanism.

Upvote 0
May 28, 2012
✟15,124.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
That's nice. It's not really what angels are here for, however. Your pastor probably didn't process this justification and assumed this was an attempt at divination. Some spiritual elders today have the gift of clairvoyance, but that is by the grace of the Holy Spirit, not asking for an angel to act as a predictive mechanism.

technically, it WAS divination....
but why is that wrong?
(I dont mean in the traditional sense where people use physical things to gain insight on something, but rather when people asks spirits directly, as I was doing.)

Upvote 0

Trogool

Apr 3, 2012
✟3,694.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green
technically, it WAS divination....
but why is that wrong?

Because an angel wouldn't help you do divination. Scripture condemns it repeatedly.

(I dont mean in the traditional sense where people use physical things to gain insight on something, but rather when people asks spirits directly, as I was doing.)

Because speaking with spirits to gain earthly knowledge and gain is extraordinarily dangerous?

Upvote 0

Trogool

Apr 3, 2012
✟3,694.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green
How so?
Please tell me how you came to this conclusion.

There are numerous examples in your Bible, if you care to read it. It can lead to prelest, or arrogance and presumption of spirituality, as well as opening yourself to demonic deception. Anyone who thinks they are actually conversing with spirits should be counseled by their spiritual father.

"Even a pious person is not immune to spiritual sickness if he does not have a wise guide -- either a living person or a spiritual writer. This sickness is called "prelest", or spiritual delusion, imagining oneself to be near to God and to the realm of the divine and supernatural. Even zealous ascetics in monasteries are sometimes subject to this delusion, but of course, laymen who are zealous in external struggles undergo it much more frequently. Surpassing their acquaintances in struggles of prayer and fasting, they imagine that they are seers of divine visions, or at least of dreams inspired by grace. In every event of their lives, they see special intentional directions from God or their guardian angel. And then they start imagining that they are God's elect, and often try to foretell the future. The Holy Fathers armed themselves against nothing so fiercely as against this sickness -- prelest."

--St. Seraphim of Sarov

Upvote 0
May 28, 2012
✟15,124.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
There are numerous examples in your Bible, if you care to read it. It can lead to prelest, or arrogance and presumption of spirituality, as well as opening yourself to demonic deception. Anyone who thinks they are actually conversing with spirits should be counseled by their spiritual father.

"Even a pious person is not immune to spiritual sickness if he does not have a wise guide -- either a living person or a spiritual writer. This sickness is called "prelest", or spiritual delusion, imagining oneself to be near to God and to the realm of the divine and supernatural. Even zealous ascetics in monasteries are sometimes subject to this delusion, but of course, laymen who are zealous in external struggles undergo it much more frequently. Surpassing their acquaintances in struggles of prayer and fasting, they imagine that they are seers of divine visions, or at least of dreams inspired by grace. In every event of their lives, they see special intentional directions from God or their guardian angel. And then they start imagining that they are God's elect, and often try to foretell the future. The Holy Fathers armed themselves against nothing so fiercely as against this sickness -- prelest."

--St. Seraphim of Sarov

Thank you for your opinion. Awaiting other people's replies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mathetes123

Dec 26, 2011
✟10,634.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Deu 18:10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
Deu 18:11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
Deu 18:12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.