• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Sleep disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

maybenotcrazy

Okay okay...
Sep 25, 2008
nowhere
✟15,828.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sorry to bother all of you. And maybe this is a good thing, but, for the past 3 weeks I've not slept more than a couple of hours a night. I asked why this is happening, and in his usual messed up way of answering things, satan put in white on the back of my eyelids "holy prophet" and we're trying to make a saint... I don't know about that. But I do know this is not good... I end up sleeping all day and it sux. I wonder what anyone would have to say about this...

GodsSalvation

Sep 2, 2008
✟15,179.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
maybenotcrazy, my delusions and hallucinations have been extremely excruciatingly severely painful. Usually they are about death and dying, and about having to go through hellish events to be saved but without any possibilty of salvation. It is difficult for me to remember them very well. Lately, God's Holy Spirit has preserved me in the sense that when I am slipping into psychosis, he imparts to me, not by voice, but by...how can I explain this?...he instills in me awareness and cognition. I hope that does not confuse you...he does not so much as speak to me as helps me to realize without "a speaking". The last time I was psychotic, he imparted to me that he is merciful, that his creation is good, and I somehow realized what was real and what was hallucintation; and just as quickly as I descended into psychoses (say an hour) I even more quickly recovered and was left with a knowing that Jesus took my punishment, and that I am saved just by believing and trusting. I remember last time I was psychotic I told God that illness and sickness is a blight on his creation and prayed, and he relieved me and helped me as I described to you above.
I hope this helps you.:prayer:

Reactions: Jeshu
Upvote 0

lutherangerman

Jan 30, 2009
Eppendorf, Germany
✟17,788.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
maybenotcrazy, I have schizo too and I found that an orderly rhythm of sleeping is essential. It's very important for me, when I can manage it, to never sleep during the day. That's really a biggie. Some years back when my schizo was worst I tended to sleep only for one or two hours or so, and then wake up with disturbing thoughts which kept me awake until I again could doze for two hours.

I know it's not easy, but try not to sleep during the day, and for the nightly sleep, start to have a somewhat regular rhythm. Personally I have gotten used to going to bed at around 9 in the evening and getting up at 7 in the morning. Sometimes this alternates a bit by one or two hours, but this is really my normal schedule.

As for the devil and his interventions, remember that you are not obliged to do anything but to resist. Don't listen to him, don't talk with him, don't think of that stuff he wants you to think about. I had great success with simply saying out loud "I resist you, in the name of the Holy Lord Jesus!". After you said that, concentrate on your own thoughts again, or on a bible verse or something, or look at something beautiful in your room like a plant or so.

The book of Revelation has a verse about the Earth helping those who are of God, it consumes the fire the dragon wants to spew at you. The Earth is really an ally, so use her often. It's also ok to watch TV, play computer games, listen to good music etc.

Upvote 0

ChristianFriend2012

Apr 20, 2008
✟7,684.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think that's very sound advice. The only thing I'd add on the issue of sleep-deprivation, is to consider the amino acid GABA and the herb Valerian Root. Both of these are natural products that anyone can go into a natural health food store and buy. If they don't interfere with any medications you may or may not be taking, and you decide to try them to help you sleep, make sure to do some research on brands. Don't just buy any brand. Some brands have nothing more than filler in the capsules, due to that industry not being regulated.
Also, I have practically made it illegal to allow myself to nap during the day, and this is essential to my own well-being. I struggle with a sleeping disorder (if I wake up in the middle of the night for some reason, chances are I will not be able to go back to bed) but staying up all night is not for me and only makes my condition worse. Also, never underestimate the power of EARPLUGS. Now I am on a schedule to where I am in bed by 9 pm (99% of the time I do go to bed inbetween 8 pm - 10 pm) and am up by 6 am (always out of bed sometime inbetween 4 am - 8 am). Sometimes I'll only sleep from 11 pm to 3 am, with my sleeping disorder I just have to accept that, but usually after a bad night of sleep like that, I will sleep from 8 pm - 8 am the next night, and my mind balances out. Either way though the rule remains that I can't allow myself to sleep during the day. So now that I am on a better sleeping schedule, I suffer much less from insomnia, and I rarely feel the need to take Valerian Root any more, but I take GABA twice a day usually, it is something that definetely helps for my anxiety during the day and helps me to sleep at night, and the powdered form of 'Source Naturals' brand is the best that I've found. Obviously make sure to check any negative possible interactions that it could have with you or the medication you are taking first though.

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry to bother all of you. And maybe this is a good thing, but, for the past 3 weeks I've not slept more than a couple of hours a night. I asked why this is happening, and in his usual messed up way of answering things, satan put in white on the back of my eyelids "holy prophet" and we're trying to make a saint... I don't know about that. But I do know this is not good... I end up sleeping all day and it sux. I wonder what anyone would have to say about this...

Dear friend sleep is always an issue for me as well. Often I don't sleep more than a few hours even with sleeping tablets, alcohol and psych meds. The longest stretch I have suffered is 12 months averaging between 2-4 hours a night.

Please know that when sleep is lacking so is your judgement. So don't trust what you are hearing or seeing very much, unless it is from the bible.

I learned to heed only the bible doing this through my sleepless times and so staying away from psychosis, weaknesses and sin. So I gained a wonderful ability reading and pondering on God's Word all those sleepless nights.

My advise pray and read the Bible. Use the earth and whatever good she gives you and thank God your for blooming desert. (It will jump up all around you shortly!)

However personally I found that too much of earth's good is not good either, so hours of computer play or watching meaningless TV makes me very depressed, as does too much eating and drinking.

Too much of God? All my (ex) psychs say so, but I love Him, He is great and keeps me sane compared to how I used to be.

So I say fill yourself with His good in particular. Love, Truth, kindness, honesty, patience, meekness, humbleness, forgiving, gracious, joyous generous, spontaneous, glorying in good, in short all that is attentive to God's loving truth, give it much place within your heart and you shall be well - even if sickness strikes the hardest.

Hoping you scatter many of His good seeds in your heart during these long hours of awakeness. And if you keep God's love and truth in sight, Satan will soon flee from you, for he hates the truth of God's love, it burns him badly.

:wave:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.