ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I commute just over an hour ONE WAY to work each day. I have had Sirius Satellite Radio for some time now and it has really helped me to deal with the commute. Sirius has 1 Prot/Evangelical station and the RCC has 2 stations out of the 135+ stations on Sirius. I am not familiar with XM (but I understand that they may be joining forces), but I think that an EO channel on Sirius would be a great evangelistic tool. Maybe AFR? Anyone know if there is any discussion to add such a station to Sirius or XM?

And, for what it is worth, I realize that satellite radio can be a wasteland.....but so is the Internet. All I know is that the RCC and the Prots are out there in space working the thing with lonely long distance drivers and commuters.

I am just saying.

Clem

Iacobus

Feb 29, 2004
Visit site
✟845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi Clement

About a year ago I wrote AFR and asked about the possibility of them getting on one of the satellite radio providers. My recollection is that the answer was that they had looked into it, but had not been met with much interest.

On the other hand, now that Sirius and XM radio are trying to look pretty for the regulators looking at their proposed merger, maybe this would be a good time for AFR or for the SCOBA stations to approach them again.

Dcn. James

Upvote 0

Matrona

Lady Godiva Freedom Rider
Aug 17, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟20,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
On the other hand, now that Sirius and XM radio are trying to look pretty for the regulators looking at their proposed merger, maybe this would be a good time for AFR or for the SCOBA stations to approach them again.

And for prospective listeners to contact them expressing interest. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Dcn. James

Can you provide info to me on the SCOBA stations?

I think I will contact Sirius about this. It seems to me that some of the stations are broadcast from the Sirius facilities and some of them are feeds from other facilities. I think that a feed from already existing programing would be more cost efficient.

Thanks

Upvote 0

ufonium2

Seriously, stop killing kids.
Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
✟12,536.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Get a mp3 player, download podcasts from AFR, listen to them in the car. It is probably cost prohibitive for there to be an EO satellite radio station, but I guess it's a possibility.

Are there some AFR podcasts targeted to Protestants, and some not? I ask because I downloaded several of them a while back, on topics that interest me, and I couldn't get through them, or even to the "meat" of the discussion, because the first 15 minutes of each one was spent explaining or justifying some basic tenet of Orthodoxy that was only marginally related to the topic. For instance, there was one about the eight tones, but the first part, probably 10 or 12 minutes, was spent justifying liturgical worship, explaining it in terms of, "When I was Protestant, there was one guy who prayed really well. And eventually we started praying like him. It's like that."

I'm not a scholar of Orthodoxy by any means, and there is a lot that I'm completely ignorant about. But I would think the vast majority of folks listening to AFR have already dealt with any issues they might have regarding liturgical worship. And if they are looking to broaden their audience to non-converts, or converts from places other than Protestantism, it would probably behoove them to occasionally define Orthodoxy in a way that doesn't involve comparison to Protestantism.

But maybe I just happened to download the three podcasts that were like that. What do you think? Any shows or topics you would recommend?

Upvote 0

AureateDawn

Love & Peace
May 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
✟12,273.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It was likely just those three podcasts. I listen to them all - Our Life in Christ, Hearts and Minds, Faith and Philosophy, etc. Some of them I turn off and plan to listen later, because I can't understand or grasp the concept they are talking about.

OLIC tends to be more convert oriented, however, from my experience.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.