Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, I don't know. I probably will never get one, and I am leaving my decision at that. A tattoo isn't more important than my college education or focusing on my faith. It conflicts with my belief, and I'm not going to go against that. So my answer is no.
Good for you!

Upvote 0

Journey.In.Grace

Daughter of the One True King
Sep 2, 2013
Texas, US
✟159,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Well, fine; and I hope your studies and funding issues go well.

I think some ppl, if they are given a tattoo voucher, for example, and also have a strong wish to use a faith tattoo in witness to people, might be more likely to go ahead in those circumstances.

I just feel like I shouldn't be marking my body. And you have to ask, what would be the purpose of that tattoo? For show, or to actually put a huge belief/reason on that tattoo? I have no reason to get a tattoo, and my only reason behind it is to simply have it and show it off. And that's not a good or Godly-like way for me to do it. I don't judge or put down people who have tattoos or want them; I actually want to learn more behind their story but as for me, I have too much value in my faith and college education that I just feel like having a tattoo would be a waste of time and money, especially if my only intentions for it is to show off.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just feel like I shouldn't be marking my body. And you have to ask, what would be the purpose of that tattoo? For show, or to actually put a huge belief/reason on that tattoo? I have no reason to get a tattoo, and my only reason behind it is to simply have it and show it off. And that's not a good or Godly-like way for me to do it. I don't judge or put down people who have tattoos or want them; I actually want to learn more behind their story but as for me, I have too much value in my faith and college education that I just feel like having a tattoo would be a waste of time and money, especially if my only intentions for it is to show off.
Since it seems to relate very accurately to your current - and possibly future? - state of mind, then your post makes a great deal of sense. As mentioned above, if a person is not sure about a tattoo design, then s/he ought not to have it done.

You also said: "I actually want to learn more behind their story"; and yes, a lot of Christians do get faith based tattoos. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse, and mine also, and I'm sure that other conversations have also resulted as a consequence of her willingness to have it done.

Christians do tend to find them effective in witness. From this I would deduce that it's quite substantially a pragmatic thing: they are proven to work! :) Not really a matter of showing off; more that since the person wants to talk to people, then a faith based tattoo (Bible verse or reference, Christians fish sign <><, etc.) is likely to bring about regular opportunities to witness.

(I am of course talking about the motivation of Christians with faith based tattoos, not your own sense of motivations. I can also understand your own motivations that you mention.)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've got a tribal Scorpion (Scorpio birth sign) on my left shoulder which I'm going to have reworked so that the blood, mixed with water, of a sacrificed lamb weaves through the scorpion.
What is neat about this is that the original way in which the Scorpio sign interacts with Libra in the Zodiac depicts a Scorpion reaching out and trying to take a sacrificial alter (Philologos | The Witness of the Stars | Table of Contents), but on my shoulder we'll see the victory of the Lamb over the scorpion.
So was this your first tattoo?

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So was this your first tattoo?
No. First tattoo was a Celtic shield (very common I saw yet another example of the same design today, funny enough). I've since had it reworked to a tribal style compass rose. My next tattoo was a Norse knot work arm band with an Ibis of my own design, and then the Scorpio that neefs a wash.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No. First tattoo was a Celtic shield (very common I saw yet another example of the same design today, funny enough). I've since had it reworked to a tribal style compass rose. My next tattoo was a Norse knot work arm band with an Ibis of my own design, and then the Scorpio that neefs a wash.
Interesting! Celtic heritage has inspired a lot of tribal-style tattoos.

I see you're married; so does Mrs. Anguspure admit to having tattoos also?

Historically, Maori tattoos were mainly among men, I believe.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting! Celtic heritage has inspired a lot of tribal-style tattoos.

I see you're married; so does Mrs. Anguspure admit to having tattoos also?

Historically, Maori tattoos were mainly among men, I believe.
Ah....no. Not her style.
As for the Maori check this staunch lady out:
db177e2c-d887-461e-8120-dbe5127c1dda-2014926104914.jpg

Not uncommon.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ah....no. Not her style.
As for the Maori check this staunch lady out:
db177e2c-d887-461e-8120-dbe5127c1dda-2014926104914.jpg

Not uncommon.
Oh okay! thanks, so in NZ there does seem to be a longstanding tradition for Maori women as well as men to get tattooed.

In the West - especially North America, where apparently 59% - 70% or more of parlor clients are female, I think I read - it's more of a recent thing for women widely to receive tattoos, although it's now deeply established.

So in NZ the tattoo practice - of a certain 'tribal' variety - has evidently longstanding custom among both genders, then?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
PS: LizzyMae:

I was just reading what you wrote; and it certainly sounds like you are thinking through your views and options thoroughly.

It's understandable that you would have concern as to your possible motive to 'show off' any cross tattoo (etc.) that you received.

For a lot of young people, getting the first tattoo is often by way of a 'rite of passage', as young adults. While for some it might indeed not amount to much more than 'showing off' their ink, for others there might be a strong - even stronger? - element of self awareness and self demonstration.

For a lot of young Christians who get faith based tattoos which are proven effective in witness, the witness value of such testimony aids might amount to a lot more than simply 'showing off' the ink.

But I'm sure that you know your own thoughts far better, and the fact that you are evidently weighing such matters in your mind in a responsible way is naturally very good.

Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,097,469.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I agree with those who suggest an artful add on to the tattoo which would eliminate any pagan image. Get drawings in advance and pray over them. As for baptism, anyone who condemns you for having had a tattoo doesn't get the Christian message. Most will or it's not the best Church for you.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh okay! thanks, so in NZ there does seem to be a longstanding tradition for Maori women as well as men to get tattooed.

In the West - especially North America, where apparently 59% - 70% or more of parlor clients are female, I think I read - it's more of a recent thing for women widely to receive tattoos, although it's now deeply established.

So in NZ the tattoo practice - of a certain 'tribal' variety - has evidently longstanding custom among both genders, then?
You could say that. The Tattoo that Maori have on their faces (Ta Moko) shows identity and ancestory.
Check out this article: Maori Tattoo: The Definitive Guide to Ta Moko

• Informative
Upvote 0

Journey.In.Grace

Daughter of the One True King
Sep 2, 2013
Texas, US
✟159,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
PS: LizzyMae:

I was just reading what you wrote; and it certainly sounds like you are thinking through your views and options thoroughly.

It's understandable that you would have concern as to your possible motive to 'show off' any cross tattoo (etc.) that you received.

For a lot of young people, getting the first tattoo is often by way of a 'rite of passage', as young adults. While for some it might indeed not amount to much more than 'showing off' their ink, for others there might be a strong - even stronger? - element of self awareness and self demonstration.

For a lot of young Christians who get faith based tattoos which are proven effective in witness, the witness value of such testimony aids might amount to a lot more than simply 'showing off' the ink.

But I'm sure that you know your own thoughts far better, and the fact that you are evidently weighing such matters in your mind in a responsible way is naturally very good.

Blessings.

Its just not something I believe in doing. My answer to getting a tattoo is still no. I don't have a reason or the money to do it; to me it would just be a waste, and as I said before, I feel like my only reason to do it is to show it off. And I'm not going to do that if its solely the reason. That's just my opinion on it and I'm firm on it.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Others who feel they do want to express their love for Christ, and his love for them, through putting artwork on their skin should feel free to do so.
A lot of Christians do this. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to have it done.

It's a rite of passage to adulthood for young people, and often Christian young people not unusually want to get something that is effective and useful in witness.

Reactions: Kiterius
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A good friend of mine who's a Youth Pastor has a tat of his favorite Bible verse on his left forearm. Has helped him in opening up conversations with some of the teens in his church's Youth Group.

Well, exactly.

It's a rite of passage, isn't it?

AND effective in witness conversations.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As for baptism, anyone who condemns you for having had a tattoo doesn't get the Christian message. Most will or it's not the best Church for you.
I just don't get how having a tattoo would preclude someone confessing his or her faith in baptism (in North America, it might even probably be her, because a majority of parlor clients are female, apparently).

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am curious for others' perceptions and thoughts on this matter.

I have a tattoo that I received several years ago. It is not mainstream offensive, as in it is not vulgar or anything along those lines, but it is a pagan tattoo and at the time I had it done, it represented for me a self-reliance (rather than a reliance on God) in regards to resisting evil. Obviously this was also at a time in my life when I was still thinking in terms that symbolism actually mattered and that it could help me be a good person, as opposed to the internal, unseen hard and complex work of genuinely trying to be a better a person. Suffice to say I was pretty immature compared to real wisdom, and mostly just being rebellious and impulsive.

This tattoo is in a place that is prominent unless I make a deliberate effort to keep it covered with clothing choices. I've also gone through periods of severe guilt about the tattoo, although I by now I've reached the understanding that it's more about what others think. God has always known that I have this tattoo, obviously, but what sort of message does it send to others? And also, what would I look like, professing my faith in Jesus Christ, while standing there with a tribal pagan tattoo.

I don't think I'll ever be able to afford to have it removed. Once I finish my college degree in about a year and can become employed again, I'll probably be able to afford to have it covered up, like just a hand-sized black blotch so that it's well, just a big blotch of ink rather than a specific design. That is the best I could afford to do, aside from mutilating it off of my body and having to go to the emergency room (which is something I've honestly contemplated due to how terrible I feel about it sometimes).

At one point, someone else advised me that maybe I should leave it as it is, and use it as some sort of testimony in regards to how I was once astray enough to get a tattoo like that, but then wound up being saved, but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

It has sort of become like this dark secret of mine. I'm currently seeking a church, for example, as I haven't regularly attended church since I was a child, and of course when I go to visit the churches on my list to try them out in search of the right one for me, I'll be making sure that tattoo is covered up, and I certainly won't be eager to mention it to anyone. So then what happens if when the day comes when I am finally able to be baptized, other people see it. The whole situation just gives me a terrible gut feeling.

Lately I've been trying to reach out and feel for what God wants me to do about it, but I haven't felt confident that I've received a response yet, or some sort of sign.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this sort of situation?

You might have open sores, limbs missing or wearing a wig.
Nobody there should be focused on anything that may annoy them.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am curious for others' perceptions and thoughts on this matter.

I have a tattoo that I received several years ago. It is not mainstream offensive, as in it is not vulgar or anything along those lines, but it is a pagan tattoo and at the time I had it done, it represented for me a self-reliance (rather than a reliance on God) in regards to resisting evil. Obviously this was also at a time in my life when I was still thinking in terms that symbolism actually mattered and that it could help me be a good person, as opposed to the internal, unseen hard and complex work of genuinely trying to be a better a person. Suffice to say I was pretty immature compared to real wisdom, and mostly just being rebellious and impulsive.

This tattoo is in a place that is prominent unless I make a deliberate effort to keep it covered with clothing choices. I've also gone through periods of severe guilt about the tattoo, although I by now I've reached the understanding that it's more about what others think. God has always known that I have this tattoo, obviously, but what sort of message does it send to others? And also, what would I look like, professing my faith in Jesus Christ, while standing there with a tribal pagan tattoo.

I don't think I'll ever be able to afford to have it removed. Once I finish my college degree in about a year and can become employed again, I'll probably be able to afford to have it covered up, like just a hand-sized black blotch so that it's well, just a big blotch of ink rather than a specific design. That is the best I could afford to do, aside from mutilating it off of my body and having to go to the emergency room (which is something I've honestly contemplated due to how terrible I feel about it sometimes).

At one point, someone else advised me that maybe I should leave it as it is, and use it as some sort of testimony in regards to how I was once astray enough to get a tattoo like that, but then wound up being saved, but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

It has sort of become like this dark secret of mine. I'm currently seeking a church, for example, as I haven't regularly attended church since I was a child, and of course when I go to visit the churches on my list to try them out in search of the right one for me, I'll be making sure that tattoo is covered up, and I certainly won't be eager to mention it to anyone. So then what happens if when the day comes when I am finally able to be baptized, other people see it. The whole situation just gives me a terrible gut feeling.

Lately I've been trying to reach out and feel for what God wants me to do about it, but I haven't felt confident that I've received a response yet, or some sort of sign.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this sort of situation?
symbols only have the power we give them

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,098.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
symbols only have the power we give them
Some ppl use faith based tattoos as a sort of prompt in conversations with ppl about faith related matters. For a lot of young ppl it's a rite of passage into adulthood, and many young adult want an expression of faith to be a part of it.

Upvote 0