Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is definitely becoming a cultural norm. I remember drawing tattoos on myself as a young boy but this sort of play was not as common and I don't remember the girls ever doing it.
Now at 18 in North America so often young women as well as young men go for their first ink, sometimes planned for quite a while.

• Informative
Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now at 18 in North America so often young women as well as young men go for their first ink, sometimes planned for quite a while.
I don't know many who plan at that age. Rather it is almost an initiation rite to get an off the cuff piece of work that is later regretted and/or covered.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know many who plan at that age. Rather it is almost an initiation rite to get an off the cuff piece of work that is later regretted and/or covered.
You are probably right. It's often seen as a coming of age symbol, linked to the fact that in many jurisdictions the minimum age requirement for people receiving tattoos is 18.

It's become so widespread that many young Christians, instead of resisting the practice, embrace it, often receiving tattoos in designs that are faith based.

• Agree
Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

FaithlessToFaithful

I am finally getting it
Sep 23, 2017
Houston
✟11,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Separated
God knew about that tattoo before you ever got it.

He knew about this struggle before you ever had it.

He knew about this question before you ever asked it.

And His promise was made to you, and is waiting to be fulfilled in the space of time, before you ever accepted that He loves you.

The tattoo is meaningless, because it represents nothing real. It is not a spiritual conflict that the tattoo brings. It is a sense of guilt for something you have already been forgiven for. God didn't accept you, forgive you, and then decide to punish you for what you have been forgiven for. He doesn't beat His children.

Do what you like with the tattoo. Keep it, cover it, alter it, as prayer directs you to do. Nobody here is qualified to give that advice. But don't make an issue out of it that God is not making out of it. That isn't coming from Him at all. That is internal, destructive, and wall building from the relationship He wants with you.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Right! A young lady who works for our local veterinarian has a scripture on her right forearm. Without realizing what it was for, I asked her if I could see it up close. She agreed. I was moved to tears. I smiled, said "that's great!", told her how much God loves her, and we both got glory bumps!
Winken, It can actually be a wholesome thing to go for, right?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God knew about that tattoo before you ever got it.

He knew about this struggle before you ever had it.

He knew about this question before you ever asked it.

And His promise was made to you, and is waiting to be fulfilled in the space of time, before you ever accepted that He loves you.

The tattoo is meaningless, because it represents nothing real. It is not a spiritual conflict that the tattoo brings. It is a sense of guilt for something you have already been forgiven for. God didn't accept you, forgive you, and then decide to punish you for what you have been forgiven for. He doesn't beat His children.

Do what you like with the tattoo. Keep it, cover it, alter it, as prayer directs you to do. Nobody here is qualified to give that advice. But don't make an issue out of it that God is not making out of it. That isn't coming from Him at all. That is internal, destructive, and wall building from the relationship He wants with you.
It's about the totality of one's past, and some may even be faith based, right?

Upvote 0