TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am curious for others' perceptions and thoughts on this matter.

I have a tattoo that I received several years ago. It is not mainstream offensive, as in it is not vulgar or anything along those lines, but it is a pagan tattoo and at the time I had it done, it represented for me a self-reliance (rather than a reliance on God) in regards to resisting evil. Obviously this was also at a time in my life when I was still thinking in terms that symbolism actually mattered and that it could help me be a good person, as opposed to the internal, unseen hard and complex work of genuinely trying to be a better a person. Suffice to say I was pretty immature compared to real wisdom, and mostly just being rebellious and impulsive.

This tattoo is in a place that is prominent unless I make a deliberate effort to keep it covered with clothing choices. I've also gone through periods of severe guilt about the tattoo, although I by now I've reached the understanding that it's more about what others think. God has always known that I have this tattoo, obviously, but what sort of message does it send to others? And also, what would I look like, professing my faith in Jesus Christ, while standing there with a tribal pagan tattoo.

I don't think I'll ever be able to afford to have it removed. Once I finish my college degree in about a year and can become employed again, I'll probably be able to afford to have it covered up, like just a hand-sized black blotch so that it's well, just a big blotch of ink rather than a specific design. That is the best I could afford to do, aside from mutilating it off of my body and having to go to the emergency room (which is something I've honestly contemplated due to how terrible I feel about it sometimes).

At one point, someone else advised me that maybe I should leave it as it is, and use it as some sort of testimony in regards to how I was once astray enough to get a tattoo like that, but then wound up being saved, but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

It has sort of become like this dark secret of mine. I'm currently seeking a church, for example, as I haven't regularly attended church since I was a child, and of course when I go to visit the churches on my list to try them out in search of the right one for me, I'll be making sure that tattoo is covered up, and I certainly won't be eager to mention it to anyone. So then what happens if when the day comes when I am finally able to be baptized, other people see it. The whole situation just gives me a terrible gut feeling.

Lately I've been trying to reach out and feel for what God wants me to do about it, but I haven't felt confident that I've received a response yet, or some sort of sign.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this sort of situation?

Kiterius

CF's Favorite Member
Dec 24, 2016
Earth
✟32,893.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I have a tattoo that I received several years ago. It is not mainstream offensive, as in it is not vulgar or anything along those lines, but it is a pagan tattoo and at the time I had it done, it represented for me a self-reliance (rather than a reliance on God) in regards to resisting evil. Obviously this was also at a time in my life when I was still thinking in terms that symbolism actually mattered and that it could help me be a good person, as opposed to the internal, unseen hard and complex work of genuinely trying to be a better a person. Suffice to say I was pretty immature compared to real wisdom, and mostly just being rebellious and impulsive.

This tattoo is in a place that is prominent unless I make a deliberate effort to keep it covered with clothing choices. I've also gone through periods of severe guilt about the tattoo, although I by now I've reached the understanding that it's more about what others think. God has always known that I have this tattoo, obviously, but what sort of message does it send to others? And also, what would I look like, professing my faith in Jesus Christ, while standing there with a tribal pagan tattoo.

I don't think I'll ever be able to afford to have it removed. Once I finish my college degree in about a year and can become employed again, I'll probably be able to afford to have it covered up, like just a hand-sized black blotch so that it's well, just a big blotch of ink rather than a specific design. That is the best I could afford to do, aside from mutilating it off of my body and having to go to the emergency room (which is something I've honestly contemplated due to how terrible I feel about it sometimes).

At one point, someone else advised me that maybe I should leave it as it is, and use it as some sort of testimony in regards to how I was once astray enough to get a tattoo like that, but then wound up being saved, but I'm not sure how I feel about that.

It has sort of become like this dark secret of mine. I'm currently seeking a church, for example, as I haven't regularly attended church since I was a child, and of course when I go to visit the churches on my list to try them out in search of the right one for me, I'll be making sure that tattoo is covered up, and I certainly won't be eager to mention it to anyone. So then what happens if when the day comes when I am finally able to be baptized, other people see it. The whole situation just gives me a terrible gut feeling.

Lately I've been trying to reach out and feel for what God wants me to do about it, but I haven't felt confident that I've received a response yet, or some sort of sign.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this sort of situation?

We all come to Christ marked in one way or another by our pasts. Some marks are just more visible than others. Since your tattoo does seem to concern you, I suggest you have it removed or altered when you can reasonably afford to. Til then, just go about your daily business. Should someone in the church, or anyone else ask you about it, you can share that was a pre-Christian decision, and something you're looking forward to changing in the near future. That may open the door for you to discuss how else you're looking forward to Christ transforming you.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,077.00
Faith
Christian
I'm a HUGE fan of tattoos and have a pretty good eye for what works and what doesn't. Would you post a picture of your current one with some ideas as to what you'd cover it with? Because I might be able to help you.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not in the same sitch but I say keep it. Don't cover it with more ink and certainly don't harm yourself. Use it as an opportunity to explain how you've changed and why.

I have no tattoos, but if people could see my thoughts and some of the unwise and unkind things I've done, I wouldn't be able to go outside for shame.

You didn't get a hateful or evil symbol inked onto your skin. You got something in hopes of improving yourself, which is commendable. Was this not part of the path that brought you to where you are now?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Hi, TurtleAnne; I can see that you regret the design. I know it can be costly but in fact it's amazing what some good artists can do to change a design.

It's actually not an unusual situation; and many Christians do learn to cope with it, one way or another. For example, a Christian woman with the tattoo of an ex-bf's name (e.g., 'Bill') might choose to have it changed to something more faith based, (e.g., 'Bible'). When you can afford it, it might be very worthwhile to talk to a good tattoo artist to see how it might be changed. Changing an existing design can be less expensive (and less ugly!) than getting it removed, which can involve several painful sessions and the skin can look distressed afterwards.

The other thing is that you must decide what you think about this particular one which you obviously regret, and tattoos in general. Because although years ago it used to be a man thing, yet now in North America apparently 59%-70% or more of parlor clients are women; it's become a very womanly thing to do, hasn't it?

Part of this is to remember also that many Christians regard faith based tattoo designs as effective in witness conversations.

It's very much an individual thing, of course. But the fact is that it's something that many Christian women do without regret, because they actively want to do it. I saw this quote from someone in the Bible Belt, FYI:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

I guess the very strong moral is: You are not alone.

Blessings.

• Friendly
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That may open the door for you to discuss how else you're looking forward to Christ transforming you.

This is a very good point, thank you.

I'm currently in the process of trying to overhaul a lot of my life in this regard. It feels freeing but overwhelming at the same time. Various websites that I am not visiting anymore, though they were not explicitly sinful websites, I was given a strong gut feeling that I needed to leave them behind, so I just went with it and stopped visiting them. Also various types of entertainment. I've been quite the nerd throughout my life.. video games, anime, card games, etc. Most of which has appealed to me with elements of what I'm pretty sure all just amounts to witchcraft and idolatry. It has been like pulling big splinters out of my life. Some of it is emotionally painful, like gifts from people that I love very much or hobbies that we have shared, which now no longer feel right to me. So then it's like.. how do I reject this stuff, without making the person I love feel rejected, personally. And then just the restlessness throughout the day, not knowing what else to do with myself. A large part of why this forum community is very helpful for me right now, being able to occupy my time here.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm a HUGE fan of tattoos and have a pretty good eye for what works and what doesn't. Would you post a picture of your current one with some ideas as to what you'd cover it with? Because I might be able to help you.
Yes, this was my thought also; changing the design might also be an option for TurtleAnne.

Upvote 0

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, this was my thought also; changing the design might also be an option for TurtleAnne.

I'm too shy to post a photo of myself, but I can say that it is a rune from Icelandic mythology that goes by names: Helm of Awe, Algiz or Ægishjálmur. My tattoo is about 3x3 inches.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm too shy to post a photo of myself, but I can say that it is a rune from Icelandic mythology that goes by names: Helm of Awe, Algiz or Ægishjálmur. My tattoo is about 3x3 inches.
Actually it was not me but ReesePiece23 who mentioned about the photo! :) My thought was that the general suggestion about changing it was sensible and you might eventually find it doable. Particularly if the current design is mythological and even tribal, these are often involving swirling lines, sometimes bold lines, sometimes thin lines, and an artist can often obscure an aspect of the design that you don't like by adding - say - other swirling lines, or making existing thin lines bolder, etc.

Upvote 0

JellyQuest

Dec 14, 2016
nz
✟18,366.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Since our bodies are a temple it is right to not encourage others to get them. It does not glorify Jesus to do as the world does as that is to serve the spirit of the world and not God.No one who loves jesus in sincerity would willing do that which does not glorify Jesus as Lord of our lives.
As for what you already have.it is of no consequence .but use it to testify of your past error and how now ,Jesus has saved you from our past error and as a new creation in christ we no longer live according to our old nature of flesh ,but rather in joyful obedience to the holy spirit.And he never leads us to such worldly minded activity .

• Agree
Reactions: Gwen-is-new!
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Runswithdogs

Mar 11, 2016
Scotland
✟76,377.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Googled it & If its what I found Id say it look a bit like a nordic style snowflake.
I suspect a good tattoo artist could give you quite a few design options to change or cover it up if thats what you choose to do.
But before doing so, I would suggest praying & asking Gods oppinion on it and for guidence on how to best honer him with it (Ie leave it as a testimony, change or cover up... etc)

Reactions: JellyQuest
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Since our bodies are a temple it is right to not encourage others to get them. It does not glorify Jesus to do as the world does as that is to serve the spirit of the world and not God.No one who loves jesus in sincerity would willing do that which does not glorify Jesus as Lord of our lives.
As for what you already have.it is of no consequence .but use it to testify of your past error and how now ,Jesus has saved you from our past error and as a new creation in christ we no longer live according to our old nature of flesh ,but rather in joyful obedience to the holy spirit.And he never leads us to such worldly minded activity .
Hi; my wife and I talked to a young lady that had the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure that other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to do it; faith based tattoo designs have been proven effective as conversation starters by many Christians.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Googled it & If its what I found Id say it look a bit like a nordic style snowflake.
I suspect a good tattoo artist could give you quite a few design options to change or cover it up if thats what you choose to do.
But before doing so, I would suggest praying & asking Gods oppinion on it and for guidence on how to best honer him with it (Ie leave it as a testimony, change or cover up... etc)
(Re. highlighted words) Yes this was my thought also. Some tribal style designs lend themselves to improvisation.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,077.00
Faith
Christian

A good artist will be able to cover that very easily. But even if you don't go through another tattoo or a cover, I would seriously suggest that you book a consultation with an artist to discuss your options - including laser therapy.

Cutting yourself shaving doesn't glorify Jesus either, but you still do it.

Besides the point, I disagree with you on all counts, but then, that is my opinion. I see God given artwork and creativity whereas you see sinful self-injury.

Horses for courses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes, that is the one, although the design of mine is a lot more aggressive looking as opposed to simple lines. It's definitely profound to me how much the Holy Spirit can change my perception of something. It used to look like such a courageous and strong symbol opposing evil influence. Now it looks like malicious barbs that have been symbolizing keeping the truth out of my heart over the years.

I suppose that if I can't get it professionally covered before my baptizing, I will just cover it with a big bandage. It feels like a wound, anyway.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,077.00
Faith
Christian
I suppose that if I can't get it professionally covered before my baptizing, I will just cover it with a big bandage. It feels like a wound, anyway.

I think a 3 inch tattoo is incredibly superficial where a baptism is concerned. Really.

But still, book that consultation.

Upvote 0

TurtleAnne

Dec 25, 2016
Michigan U.S.
✟20,919.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think a 3 inch tattoo is incredibly superficial where a baptism is concerned. Really.

I agree with you. I think that is part of the struggle. Like I mentioned in my initial post for this thread, I have come to realize that the disturbance in my feelings is not about what God thinks, but about what other people think. God has always known about this tattoo of mine since the day I got it. And ultimately I will be answering to God, not other people. So only God's opinion should matter. I'm struggling with a fixation on what other people will think.

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Laser removal of tattoos doesn't really work very well, especially for dark ink. It's also very expensive, takes multiple treatments and can be painful. If you really want it gone, re-tattooing over the design is your best bet. It doesn't have to be a solid black splodge to cover over black.

• Winner
Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,077.00
Faith
Christian
Laser removal of tattoos doesn't really work very well, especially for dark ink. It's also very expensive, takes multiple treatments and can be painful. If you really want it gone, re-tattooing over the design is your best bet. It doesn't have to be a solid black splodge to cover over black.

I have to agree. Laser removal isn't really worth the hassle for the amount of sessions you'd need.

Upvote 0