Kahalachan

Eidolon Hunter
Jan 5, 2006
✟8,369.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"Just as Einstein scientifically expanded on and explained more than Newton's theories, so shall whatever defeats evolution" - Kahalachan

Would anyone remember Einstein if he poked holes in Newton's ideas of gravity? Where would we be if he didn't work hard to scientifically formulate better theories? Would the approaches people who don't accept evolution have worked for Einstein?

Reactions: shernren

Logic_Fault

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi Ubique
Dec 16, 2004
✟16,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
"Just as Einstein scientifically expanded on and explained more than Newton's theories, so shall whatever defeats evolution" - Kahalachan
You'll note that Einstein didn't "defeat" Newtonian physics. Likely nothing will "defeat" evolution either. The theory will continue to be modified, as it's always been, as new evidence is uncovered. The best you could hope for is, far in the future, humans discover a planet with life that doesn't seem to follow our version of evolution (though I don't see why it wouldn't) and a new evolutionary theory would have to be devised for that planet. That's an extremely unlikely event to happen though.

Would anyone remember Einstein if he poked holes in Newton's ideas of gravity?
Einstein didn't really "poke holes" in Newton's ideas of gravity. Newton's ideas of gravity work just fine under almost all circumstances. In fact, NASA still uses good ol' Newton when launching their probes and satellites. Einstein combined his Special Relativity with Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation along with the idea that gravity isn't a force but a curvature of space-time and he gave us General Relativity. As I said though, Newton's Laws are still used for most things.

Where would we be if he didn't work hard to scientifically formulate better theories? Would the approaches people who don't accept evolution have worked for Einstein?
You mean making things up on the spot without the least bit of evidence? No, I don't think Einstein would have gotten far doing that.

Upvote 0

NamesAreHardToPick

All That You Can Leave Behind
Oct 7, 2004
✟16,943.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm not ignorant enough to think that nothing could ever replace evolution as a better explanation for the origins of biodiversity. However, at this present time, evolution is the best explanation for such. If something will replace evolution it will take a great deal of evidence, and I am doubtful I will see such in my life time - but hey, always open.

Oh and by the way, nothing will "end" this debate. That's the fun of it ;).

Upvote 0