Visit site
✟299,610.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Bible does not prophesy the end of the world or of total destruction, but of a whole series of carefully timed events that lead up to the great and glorious Return of Jesus.
The final countdown of the end times will take years and before the first prophesied event happens, we are told of a few preliminary things that will set the stage for the political, economic and religious climate that is necessary to trigger the Lord’s action. These preparatory steps seem to be falling into place in rapid succession.

It is humanly impossible to resolve the political situation in the Middle East, many countries have failing economies and in many countries; population has outstripped their resources.

Many people today react negatively to anyone who warns about a coming reset of civilization, even though it is obvious that things cannot continue as they are for much longer. They say it is foolish to worry about what may happen, or even talk about the trends and signs that point toward the end time scenario as portrayed in Scripture.

In Matthew 16:1-4, Jesus sternly rebuked the religious leaders of His day for their failure to discern the signs of His first coming. He was fulfilling the Old Testament prophecies and performing miracles, yet they were blind to it all. Likewise today, many religious leaders are doing the same, blinded to prophecy and to the signs that point to an imminent commencement of God’s program of preparation for the Second coming of Jesus.

God is preparing the world stage for His drama of the ages. When the curtain parts, when the heavens are torn asunder, Isaiah 64:1-2, then those who have failed to understand or even to consider the more than 100 prophesies that clearly tell about the forthcoming fire judgement/punishment, they will be shocked and terrified. .

A judgement by fire will happen next and it will be a testing time for all mankind. 1 Peter 4:12, _ The worldwide disaster of the Sixth Seal; Revelation 6:11-17

Do not hope for a rapture from this first event. The prophesies that tell of a ‘meeting in the air’ refer to the visible Return of Jesus for His Millennial reign, which is to come years later.

The greatest threat facing the world is a nuclear armed Iran attacking Israel, along with their proxies and all the Islamic peoples. Psalms 83

Bible prophecy, our sure guide with proven fulfilled predictions, tells us that this war will not happen. Ezekiel 7:14 God’s wrath destroyed the civilization of Noah’s time with a great flood; this time He will use fire to destroy His enemies. The Lord promises to save a remnant of Jews in Jerusalem, Isaiah 31:5 and around the world, all those people who take heed of the warnings to shelter and who call upon His Name for protection, will be kept safe. Joel 2:32, Acts 2:21, Isaiah 43:2

Do not doubt; events will unfold as the prophets have so graphically prophesied, so long ago. First this terrible judgement by fire, a massive CME will be blasted out from the Lord’s storehouse, the sun. Deut. 32:34-35, Isaiah 30:26-30

Then the world’s survivors will establish a One World Government, but the great promises of God to the Patriarchs and to His righteous peoples; from every tribe, race, nation and language, will then be fulfilled, as they gather and settle into the Holy Land. Zechariah 10:8-10, Ezekiel 34:11-16, Romans 9:24-26

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟106,830.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The problem with such preoccupation of the end times is that it dilute us from the Great Commission set forth by our Lord. By giving such attention to any and all signs you are more prone to fall into confirmation bias. Everything is a sign whether correctly so or not.

Rather than anticipating the Second Coming, the Lord is better served by us harvesting souls for Him. Like farm hands are sent out into the field to work while there is still sunlight when night falls no more harvesting can be done.

This is not to say we slack off and not stand ready for the return. Like crossing a busy road, we keep watch of the cars driving by but at the same time walking to the other side. Being only preoccupied by looking out for cars while forgetting to actually cross the road makes the whole endeavor pointless.

Also the timing is known only to God the Father.

Matthew 24:36
But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟299,610.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The problem with such preoccupation of the end times is that it dilute us from the Great Commission set forth by our Lord
Been there, done that, now retired and my task is to promote the Prophetic Word.
We have been informed of the approximate season. Which is mighty close!

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The problem with such preoccupation of the end times is that it dilute us from the Great Commission set forth by our Lord. By giving such attention to any and all signs you are more prone to fall into confirmation bias. Everything is a sign whether correctly so or not.

Rather than anticipating the Second Coming, the Lord is better served by us harvesting souls for Him. Like farm hands are sent out into the field to work while there is still sunlight when night falls no more harvesting can be done.

This is not to say we slack off and not stand ready for the return. Like crossing a busy road, we keep watch of the cars driving by but at the same time walking to the other side. Being only preoccupied by looking out for cars while forgetting to actually cross the road makes the whole endeavor pointless.

But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
really dilutes from the great commission? the rapture believing end times focused Jesus people did pretty good job evangelizing while holding the eminent return of Jesus and laying aside many sins and weights to share the gospel all around the world. This movement has not ended and many churches that teach the whole Bible teach in proportion to what the word says since they go through the whole thing. This is declaring the full counsel of God which if the end times are real and palpable the fear of the LORD is a natural result. In fact the promise of the LORD coming and all is listed as something to encourage each other with. The end times can have you sitting on your but and waiting for it or redeeming the time and taking the things of this world very lightly. My church has tripled in size since covid and many get baptized for the 1st time every month and we are a rapture teaching church that believes that the world is heading into these days soon. We are trying to get as many in the life boats as possible before its too late.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟106,830.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
really dilutes from the great commission? the rapture believing end times focused Jesus people id pretty good job evangelizing while holding the eminent return of Jesus and laying aside many sins and weights to share the gospel all around the world.

Many end times preachers have mislead their charges due to this focus. Taking in signs and trying to force fit them into Biblical prophecies. They would have better serve their charges by edifying and supporting their spiritual growth. They tend to evangelized using the fear of the thereafter rather than the focus on the grace of God. When their prophecies don't come true, their charges fall away from God.

We are trying to get as many in the life boats as possible before its too late.

I think it is not helpful to view salvation as a life boat. Salvation is the redemption of our soul from sin not the escape from damnation and torture. The way to the Father is the gift not the privilege of heaven that comes along with the Father.

• Agree
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,074,466.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Been there, done that, now retired

You've retired from doing your part in the Great Commission?
Good luck with explaining that one.

and my task is to promote the Prophetic Word.

Your interpretation of the prophetic word.
I think God would rather you promoted Jesus.

We have been informed of the approximate season. Which is mighty close!

That remains to be seen.
Many people have said that it was "mighty close", and it hasn't yet happened.

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟299,610.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Now at age 81, my days of working in the mission field are over. I continue to be salt and light in my community.
Your accusations against me are made from ignorance and a flat out denial of the Prophetic Word.

Reactions: Paul4JC
Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Many end times preachers have mislead their charges due to this focus. Taking in signs and trying to force fit them into Biblical prophecies. They would have better serve their charges by edifying and supporting their spiritual growth. They tend to evangelized using the fear of the thereafter rather than the focus on the grace of God. When their prophecies don't come true, their charges fall away from God.

I think it is not helpful to view salvation as a life boat. Salvation is the redemption of our soul from sin not the escape from damnation and torture. The way to the Father is the gift not the privilege of heaven that comes along with the Father.

Sorry I do not agree, if salvation is not like a lifeboat, then what is it? In past times when hell fire and damnation was preached, churches were full and many Christians came to a saving knowledge of God. How many believe the gospel in these days? Today's emphasis on an intelectrual and liberal gospel is leading to an incomplete understanding of the gospel.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

Your interpretation of the prophetic word.
I think God would rather you promoted Jesus.

That remains to be seen.
Many people have said that it was "mighty close", and it hasn't yet happened.
Sorry, but you're missing the larger picture.
Retirement is allowed for two reasons: when the assigned task is finished, it makes no sense to re-work that which was assigned, and is now done.
Essentially you would be re-folding towels that have already been folded.
That's called " busy work".
Instead, look to the example of Jesus:
He did everything required of Him by the Father, God. Then He gave up the Spirit, and died to this life.
But your way of looking at things would have criticised His actions, and said that there were other people He could have reached, if He had stayed around on Earth until we existed.
That was not God's plan.
Instead, God's plan is to create more people, and give them that task of reaching the World.
So don't worry.
As long as a new day dawns, God will be there, sending out His emissaries into the World until it is Time for the Earth to end.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,074,466.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now at age 81, my days of working in the mission field are over. I continue to be salt and light in my community.
Your accusations against me are made from ignorance and a flat out denial of the Prophetic Word.

I wasn't not accusing you.
A Christian does not need to be a full time evangelist/Missionary/Minister/Bible translator or whatever to be involved in the Great Commission. Just being a Christian, and salt and light, is being involved in the Great Commission. I am, and I haven't worked in years.

As for "denial of the prophetic word"; that remains to be seen.
Around 18 years ago, there was a thread on these forums in which the OP said he was 98% certain that Tony Blair was the anti Christ and that when he became President of the EU, certain things would happen. He gave Scriptural passages which "showed" that this would be the case.
When I said that we would have to wait and see, he got quite cross, said I was doubting the word and that these things would happen.
They didn't.
I later saw from his website that he had changed his mind and Sarkozy was shaping up to be the anti Christ. That didn't happen either and he later took down his website.
Some Christians were getting worried/hysterical about the likelihood of the London 2012 Olympic games being a false flag event and/or bloodbath by the illuminati. There were a number of clips on YouTube on this subject; one even being from a Pastor who was explaining the Biblical prophecies and how London 2012 would fulfil them.
Nothing happened - except that we had rather a good Olympic games and finished second in the medal's table.

As I've said before, in the NT whenever prophecy was fulfilled, we are told. "This is to fulfil what the prophet said ......", "As it is written ......."
I don't see any teaching anyway which says "we need to work out for ourselves how prophecy will be fulfilled - just read Daniel and do the maths". In fact, we are told that no prophecy has its origins in the will of man. I'm not suggesting that the books of Daniel and Revelation aren't inspired by God. But Christians have made a whole host of predictions based on them, and, so far, none have happened.
We are also told that no one knows the day or hour - yet many appear to want to challenge that.

If Jesus does happen to return when you think he will, you may have full bragging rights in heaven - not that any of us will care about that then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,074,466.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, but you're missing the larger picture.
Retirement is allowed for two reasons: when the assigned task is finished, it makes no sense to re-work that which was assigned, and is now done.

Of course retirement is allowed.
A previous post said that worrying about detail over the Lord's return was to risk taking our eyes off the Great Commission, and the answer from the OP was "I've retired from that."
A person can certainly retire from their job, ministry or full time work. But we all have a part to play in the Great Commission, which we do by just being a Christian, being salt and light and being ready to answer for the hope which is within us. And I don't believe we can retire from that.

That was my point; it sounded as though the OP was retiring from the Great Commission - which is ongoing.

Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are any of us excluded from the great commission? Not that I know of! When I was well enough, I used to run my small shop and I used to as a result meet many people and quite often there would only be myself and a customer in the shop, but God creates devine appointments. It never was me that creates such appointments and I never had a plan about what I was to say to them.

It has to be completely natural. For some reason some people in my small town already know that I am a Christian, although I never make a big thing about it. It always starts with someone asking me a question and believe me, these are always serious questions and the right questions. People who are wanting to know more about God, know exactly what they want to ask.

Now here comes the big secret! Answer their question simply, naturally and unless they then ask another question leave it at that. It is not carte blanch to bombard them will lots of things. If they decide that they want to know more, then they will not feel put off from coming back to ask more questions.

What ever you do, don't reach for your bible and start bombarding them with verses from the bible. It's not about preaching, it's about being a friend! I am still wanting to get back to running my shop and meeting people and to be available, if God wishes to use me. It's never about us, but always about being a listening servant!

• Winner
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Your sttement "Also the timing is known only to God the Father." and the statement in Matt indicates that the SON is not GOD because he does not know.

The traslation is in error

A better reading of the verses should be

An old English version of the passage reads, "But that day and hour no man maketh known, neither the angels which are in Heaven, neither the Son, but the Father." This is the correct reading, according to several of the ablest critics of the age. The word know is used in the same sense here that it is by Paul, in 1Cor.2:2: "For I determined not to know [make known] anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified." Men will not make known the day and hour, angels will not make it known, neither will the Son; but the Father will make it known.

Says Campbell: "Macknight argues that the term know is here used as a causative, in the Hebrew sense of the conjugation hiphil, that is, to make known. . . . . His [Christ's] answer is just equivalent to saying, The Father will make it known when it pleases him; but he has not authorized man, angel, or the Son, to make it known. Just in this sense, Paul uses the term know: 1Cor.2:2: 'I came to you making known the testimony of God; for I determine to make known nothing among you but a crucified Christ.' "

The second coming of Christ by James White 1871

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟747,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

It remains to be seen that your claim of being tasked with some "prophetic word" is more than just your opinion.

Jesus called His Church to be His Church, which has nothing to do with such "prophetic words". The one and only prophetic word is Scripture, which declares the Good News of Jesus Christ which we are to preach and proclaim.

The word "prophetic" doesn't mean "stuff about the future", it means to proclaim on behalf of. Prophecy is not fore-telling, it is forth-telling. Telling forth, proclaiming. It's preaching, and preaching the truth of God. And here is the truth of God: Jesus Christ conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, having suffered under Pontius Pilate was crucified, buried, and dead; and on the third day rose again. He ascended into heaven, sits at the right hand of the Father, from whence He will come again to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

Anyone who claims to speak prophetic things outside of Scripture, claiming inspiration and power of the Holy Spirit, is a liar and a false prophet. The heresies and false doctrines of the Montanists and Enthusiasts must be rejected at all times.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟747,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I am reminded of the blessed and holy Polycarp who was 86 years old when he received his martyr's crown. He preached the word of God in faithfulness until he could breathe no longer. Nobody is saying anyone has to go on missions, but preaching the word, proclaiming Christ, following Jesus Christ as His disciple is simply what we are here to do. His word abiding in us, and us in His word, that we are abiding in Him and He with us; and so whether in words or in acts of love Christ is proclaimed.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟747,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Sorry I do not agree, if salvation is not like a lifeboat, then what is it? In past times when hell fire and damnation was preached, churches were full and many Christians came to a saving knowledge of God. How many believe the gospel in these days? Today's emphasis on an intelectrual and liberal gospel is leading to an incomplete understanding of the gospel.

Preaching hellfire and damnation never saved anyone. Only the Gospel of Jesus Christ can bring salvation, for His word creates faith (Romans 10:17). And it is only by the grace of God, through faith alone, on Christ's account alone that we are justified.

One cannot be fear-mongered into faith. One cannot be argued into faith. One cannot be beaten into submission into faith.

Faith can only be given, as pure grace, from God alone and not of ourselves; His gift: Ephesians 2:8-9, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works so that none may boast".

The faithfulness of the Church in abiding in the word of Christ has nothing to do with how many pews seats are warmed on a Sunday morning; but that the word of God is being faithfully preached and the Sacraments duly administered.

We aren't going to fix the problem of churchlessness by preaching the terror of hell anymore than Joel Osteen and all the false teachers are going to fix it with their self-help health and wealth nonsense.

The only way to go forward is to get back to the basics, return to the word, preach the Gospel, administer the Sacraments, confess the faith. Ad Fontes forever and always. Christ, we must preach Christ. Him and no other.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟747,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
That's true we must preach Christ, but many churches no longer preach the new birth, the necessitty of repentance and choosing to live God honouring lives.

I agree. Though chances are what you mean by these things aren't necessarily what I'd mean. I believe the proper answer to this problem is found in distinction between Law and Gospel. And due to religious movements of the past couple hundred years, these things have been twisted and contorted--Revivalism, Pietism, and Enthusiasm have replaced solid, biblical, and faithful Christian teaching. So, for example, regeneration has been turned from the work of God through the Gospel into being a personal and interior experience. Christians are not being taught to rely on God's promises, such as His promises made to us in our baptism (which is meant when Christ says we must be born again). Repentance is not being preached, but instead is frequently treated as a work the unconverted must make in order to earn grace; rather than it being the call of God to us to have contrition and grief over sin, and to confess our sins and receive God's forgiveness through Word and Sacrament. And too frequently the call to godliness isn't a call to godliness, but is turned into mere moralistizing, as though true godliness could be found in what we wear, what we eat, what we drink, or what kinds of music we listen to, etc. True godliness and holiness is not found in empty acts of false piety, but rather in in the transformative power of God's grace as we are being shaped and molded into Christ's image.

A church that confuses Law and Gospel, which does not preach the grace of God in Christ, which does not preach the depth of problem of human sin, which does fails to administer the Sacraments and administer them rightly, is a church which loses its significance and ceases to act like the Church. It becomes little more than a moralistic social club--and that doesn't matter whether the church is "conservative" or "liberal", whether it calls itself "Fundamentalist" or calls itself "Progressive". When trade in Jesus Christ, His Gospel, and the word of God in favor of human traditions, opinions, and human enterprise we are failing at our central mission: To be the Church, to be the Body of Christ, to be the People of God. And so the natural end to such things is, I am convinced, exactly what we are witnessing today.

It is only by going back to the source, getting back to the word of God, getting back to our first love, and becoming invigorated once again by the sheer audacity of the Cross of Jesus Christ that anything can or will change.

I hear men speak of "revival" all the time. But revivals don't mean anything. Revivals are usually just human institutions that have the false appearance of religion but are empty--having the appearance of religion but lacing the power thereof, as St. Paul says. What the Church needs isn't "revival", the Church needs the Gospel. The Church needs Jesus. The Church needs to assert her faith, confess the Creeds of her fathers and mothers, and stand boldly upon the word of God.

That she might become again a sanctuary for the lost, a hospital for sinners, and a vigilant lighthouse and safe harbor. But she can only be that if she will be faithful to Christ, and not a slave to fads and the ever-shifting wind of doctrine. Her anchor must be Christ alone.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: David's Harp
Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree. Though chances are what you mean by these things aren't necessarily what I'd mean. I believe the proper answer to this problem is found in distinction between Law and Gospel. And due to religious movements of the past couple hundred years, these things have been twisted and contorted--Revivalism, Pietism, and Enthusiasm have replaced solid, biblical, and faithful Christian teaching. So, for example, regeneration has been turned from the work of God through the Gospel into being a personal and interior experience. Christians are not being taught to rely on God's promises, such as His promises made to us in our baptism (which is meant when Christ says we must be born again). Repentance is not being preached, but instead is frequently treated as a work the unconverted must make in order to earn grace; rather than it being the call of God to us to have contrition and grief over sin, and to confess our sins and receive God's forgiveness through Word and Sacrament. And too frequently the call to godliness isn't a call to godliness, but is turned into mere moralistizing, as though true godliness could be found in what we wear, what we eat, what we drink, or what kinds of music we listen to, etc. True godliness and holiness is not found in empty acts of false piety, but rather in in the transformative power of God's grace as we are being shaped and molded into Christ's image.

A church that confuses Law and Gospel, which does not preach the grace of God in Christ, which does not preach the depth of problem of human sin, which does fails to administer the Sacraments and administer them rightly, is a church which loses its significance and ceases to act like the Church. It becomes little more than a moralistic social club--and that doesn't matter whether the church is "conservative" or "liberal", whether it calls itself "Fundamentalist" or calls itself "Progressive". When trade in Jesus Christ, His Gospel, and the word of God in favor of human traditions, opinions, and human enterprise we are failing at our central mission: To be the Church, to be the Body of Christ, to be the People of God. And so the natural end to such things is, I am convinced, exactly what we are witnessing today.

It is only by going back to the source, getting back to the word of God, getting back to our first love, and becoming invigorated once again by the sheer audacity of the Cross of Jesus Christ that anything can or will change.

I hear men speak of "revival" all the time. But revivals don't mean anything. Revivals are usually just human institutions that have the false appearance of religion but are empty--having the appearance of religion but lacing the power thereof, as St. Paul says. What the Church needs isn't "revival", the Church needs the Gospel. The Church needs Jesus. The Church needs to assert her faith, confess the Creeds of her fathers and mothers, and stand boldly upon the word of God.

That she might become again a sanctuary for the lost, a hospital for sinners, and a vigilant lighthouse and safe harbor. But she can only be that if she will be faithful to Christ, and not a slave to fads and the ever-shifting wind of doctrine. Her anchor must be Christ alone.

-CryptoLutheran

Very well explained, I agree!

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟299,610.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Anyone who claims to speak prophetic things outside of Scripture, claiming inspiration and power of the Holy Spirit, is a liar and a false prophet. The heresies and false doctrines of the Montanists and Enthusiasts must be rejected at all times.
I am a messenger for the Prophets. As my name of Keraz means.

It is their Prophesies which I promote here and in my logostelos.info website.
Their warnings of a coming Apocalypse are timely for us today, at 5992 years since Adam.

Upvote 0