Should Secession be an option?

DrkSdBls

Feb 19, 2006
✟2,298.00
Faith
Seeker
To those who say loss of federal funds would make secession for states unrealistic - what happens when those funds dry up and Washington has no more money? The way the federal government is spending right now, it's inevitable.

You're forgetting.

Once those States Secede, the Federal Spending would also Plummet as a Result. You're forgetting that Texas is Mostly Republican and with Texas gone, gone will be all their Government Subsidies and Grants that keep the state afloat.

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
People must get over this red state vs blue state thing. Not only is secession gaining support from Southern states, but also one of the most blue/progressive states in the Union, Vermont.

Here is a video where Tom Hartmann interviews a leader of The Second Vermont Republic, a secessionist organization.

Republicans talk secession over Obama second term - YouTube

Here is their website
Second Vermont Republic

Upvote 0

szechuan

Jun 20, 2011
✟59,926.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Actuaslly they do have that right and always have we are united by agreement and any state does have the right to leave
According to the supreme court you do not have the right to secede.
Every state that joined the union should of read the rules on secession if this was such a big deal.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
They did it is the government that originally was to serve and protect the epople of the states rather than turn into the big benevilent (yeah right) thing that it has become. People have forgotten that we all have rights that have gone by the wayside as the government grew

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
According to the supreme court you do not have the right to secede.
Every state that joined the union should of read the rules on secession if this was such a big deal.

Of course an empire would forbid the regions it controls to leave. But if the Union is so great and awesome, then what have people to fear? If it would be a failure as many say, then they would just come crawling back to the Union.

But I think many are scared that secession would provide a successful alternative to the declining United States. I think this ship is sinking faster then it ever has before, and states/regions must jump off this ship before they go down with it.

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You're forgetting.

Once those States Secede, the Federal Spending would also Plummet as a Result. You're forgetting that Texas is Mostly Republican and with Texas gone, gone will be all their Government Subsidies and Grants that keep the state afloat.

Actually, I think Texas could do just fine if they did leave. It would be States like California that would be in serious trouble it they left.

Texas has a lot of natural resources that they currently can't get to or are being regulated to death courtesy of the Federal Government. Yes there are things the state would have to pick up, but I do think Texas could actually handle it from an Economic Standpoint.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually, I think Texas could do just fine if they did leave. It would be States like California that would be in serious trouble it they left.

Texas has a lot of natural resources that they currently can't get to or are being regulated to death courtesy of the Federal Government. Yes there are things the state would have to pick up, but I do think Texas could actually handle it from an Economic Standpoint.
My guess is that Texas could get by, and without incurring a $16 Trillion debt.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Minichervi, the wealthy might indeed flee Blue County America but they'd run to more exotic locales.

The problem for Red County America is that it is strategically screwed. It has a ton of natural resource wealth, but without saltwater ports to get those goods to market they have a big problem. Those little pockets of blue at a lot of the transportation hubs would be a huge problem to even make things work internally with a trade embargo blocking foreign markets. Cigarette prices west of the Mississipi river would not be pretty. That would be a big blue obstacle to even internal commerce for Red County America.

That is why I compare it to Palestine. Because with that division you could be embargoed into the stone age.

2012electoralmapresultsfinal110812.jpg

Every red state has a path to TX, LA, MS, AL...access to the gulf of Mexico. With the exception of Alaska, but they're already isolated for most part right now with their own ports.

It's the blue states that would be in trouble, they're detached...a person in Cali couldn't ship something to Michigan without crossing red.

Upvote 0

SnowCal

50 Cent Party
Jan 24, 2012
✟9,835.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
2012electoralmapresultsfinal110812.jpg

Every red state has a path to TX, LA, MS, AL...access to the gulf of Mexico. With the exception of Alaska, but they're already isolated for most part right now with their own ports.

It's the blue states that would be in trouble, they're detached...a person in Cali couldn't ship something to Michigan without crossing red.

I'm not certain why people keep confusing the word 'county' with the word 'state'. This isn't that difficult. Terrance got it right away. Paulos too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Would seccession not open the door for take over from other nations who could take out other states seperated/doing their own thing? That was one of the reasons it was forbidden and the Union formed.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Easy G (G²);61948798 said:
Would seccession not open the door for take over from other nations who could take out other states seperated/doing their own thing? That was one of the reasons it was forbidden and the Union formed.

Some smaller states might get run over fairly easily, however I think Texas could hold it's own.

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Easy G (G²);61948798 said:

Look at small nations such as Switzerland. Despite their small size, they are still an independent country.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not certain why people keep confusing the word 'county' with the word 'state'. This isn't that difficult. Terrance got it right away. Paulos too.

Are you intentionally choosing to use 'county' as an example because it helps your side of the argument? ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Switzerland has nice defensive features that France, Poland, and Kansas lack.

Maybe so, but who would even want to try to invade states if they left the Union? The only government I would see doing this is the United States, but hopefully a peaceful secession movement will lead to non-violence.

Upvote 0

Chris81

Servant to Christ
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa
✟11,860.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
All over the United States, movements for states/regions to leave the Union have become increasingly popular. It seems like these movements are becoming more and more mainstream.

Rebel Yell: 700,000 Americans sign secession petitions to White House - YouTube

Not only are these movements gaining popularity in the South, but also right in the heart of New England.

Second Vermont Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was wondering what everyone thought about this issue.

For Texas it should be an option. They should form their own country and let the rest of the US live in peace.

I think that California should not only be able to secede from America but also from the planet. This world would be far more saner without California.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
For Texas it should be an option. They should form their own country and let the rest of the US live in peace.

I think that California should not only be able to secede from America but also from the planet. This world would be far more saner without California.

Despite what some would like to think the succession movement isn't nearly as strong in texas as some would like for us to think.

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They only have to wait two years, if the republicans gain seats in the midterms they can move federal policy towards their views no matter who hold the white house.

So there are people that would rather ragequit the union than wait 2 more years to vote?

Good riddance.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Of course an empire would forbid the regions it controls to leave. But if the Union is so great and awesome, then what have people to fear? If it would be a failure as many say, then they would just come crawling back to the Union.

This raises problems of its own. Yugoslavia provides a recent historical example. States like Croatia seceded (legally, if I recall correctly). But this started a seccessionist movement within Croatia, with Serb-majority regions seeking to break away and rejoin Yugoslavia or some Greater Serb state.

Borders may be fixed legal realities, but cultural borders do not always conform to legal ones.

Upvote 0