Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2016
US
✟275,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like others said, you are beautiful and worthy in Christ. Worldly achievements like a degree aren't what make you a worthwhile person. And you still have the potential to earn that degree or learn how to drive. I didn't get my license until I was 23. And you know what, it wasn't particularly life-changing.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This guy wants to meet up and I want to meet up with him more than anything...

But I'm afraid he'll find out how much of a loser I am..

He's younger than me. And has a degree, drives ...I just don't want to put him off.

I don't want him to stop talking to me,..

But I also feel like I won't measure up.

I once had a relationship situation where I felt similar to you, I told the person all my faults, and scared them off. Looking back most of the faults I told them I have now overcome. If I had not have been so down on myself that relationship may have actually worked out.

Don't worry about your weaknesses, show your good points. Let them see you.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I think I'm going to pass. My self esteem is messed up and he deserves someone better than me ,that can at least meet him half way.

That's not fair to you. What I would say, though, is give your soul some rest, prayer and time to heal from and move through some of this depression before entering something that could be emotionally complicated. Take time out for yourself and get your soul some healing time.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Far Side Of the Moon. It is always best to tell the truth, because truth will never be hid. God is Love and God wants loving sons and daughters, and we know that God sees our hearts. Sooner or later the truth will come to the FORE. No human being can hide the truth for ever, and to live a lie is against God. Jesus died for us, and now we can live for Jesus. Ask Jesus to help you. I say this with love, Far Side Of the Moon

Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know. I do need an I Am list and I need to read it off every morning and night. My friend and I were talking about how to gain confidence and we both didn't have much of a clue where it comes from .... He's feeling the same way I do, its like our roles are reversed.... He's the guy with the amazing girlfriend..and like me still at home working on his degree(but he's much better than me and more capable) and has an amazing girlfriend...

But anyway, back to our conversation about confidence, I said I think confidence is a combination of a positive mindset and achievements. I don't know how anyone can have confidence without both of these..
Far Side, try thinking of this "meeting" with this guy as a friendship and not as a possible romance, take the pressure off of yourself. Build as many friendships as God puts before you and He will lead you to the one man who will be your best friend and mate....but friendship should come first.

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Far Side, try thinking of this "meeting" with this guy as a friendship and not as a possible romance, take the pressure off of yourself. Build as many friendships as God puts before you and He will lead you to the one man who will be your best friend and mate....but friendship should come first.
Yeah you are right. I just keep seeing him as a potential bf. But thinking, were hanging out as friends is very relieving.

Reactions: danstribe
Upvote 0

turkle

Blessed
Jan 25, 2004
✟227,007.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you are over thinking it. It's great to meet new people, and when you have the opportunity, and he's not a freak, then I encourage you to take it!

Some people try to protect their own low self esteem by listing all of their faults up front. Then, when it scares the other person away, they feel that it was inevitable because of what ever problems they have. But that is a sure recipe to drive people away.

Instead, be interested in others, and don't focus on yourself. Be fun and engaging and see if you enjoy their company. The other person has the right to decide if they are interested in a friendship or not, as are you. If they are not, it can be for a number of reasons that you might not have even considered: your value systems might not be in sync, you have differing interests, your personalities are not compatible, etc, etc. It might have nothing to do with your own perception of your own inadequacies.

On the other hand, you might be very compatible, but if you are laying out all of your own insecurities up front, then you might never find out if you have a chance at friendship. That would be really sad.

Honestly, the most important thing in any beginning relationship is to take interest in the other person. No one wants to be around a self centered person, even when that person is self centered in a self-deprecating way. If you are interested in his thoughts, values and interests, he will more likely be interested in yours. But if you start off the conversation with a list of disclaimers, it's not very likely that you'll get much past the first conversation.

Enjoy your conversations. If it leads to a friendship, great! If not, that's good too because it wasn't meant to be. Relax and have a good time.

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think you are over thinking it. It's great to meet new people, and when you have the opportunity, and he's not a freak, then I encourage you to take it!

Some people try to protect their own low self esteem by listing all of their faults up front. Then, when it scares the other person away, they feel that it was inevitable because of what ever problems they have. But that is a sure recipe to drive people away.

Instead, be interested in others, and don't focus on yourself. Be fun and engaging and see if you enjoy their company. The other person has the right to decide if they are interested in a friendship or not, as are you. If they are not, it can be for a number of reasons that you might not have even considered: your value systems might not be in sync, you have differing interests, your personalities are not compatible, etc, etc. It might have nothing to do with your own perception of your own inadequacies.

On the other hand, you might be very compatible, but if you are laying out all of your own insecurities up front, then you might never find out if you have a chance at friendship. That would be really sad.

Honestly, the most important thing in any beginning relationship is to take interest in the other person. No one wants to be around a self centered person, even when that person is self centered in a self-deprecating way. If you are interested in his thoughts, values and interests, he will more likely be interested in yours. But if you start off the conversation with a list of disclaimers, it's not very likely that you'll get much past the first conversation.

Enjoy your conversations. If it leads to a friendship, great! If not, that's good too because it wasn't meant to be. Relax and have a good time.
Yeah my own friend life's too short to over think it.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I never stretches the truth...its just you don't put everything out there when you just start talking to someone. Like someone I'm talking to for the first time, I'm not gonna tell them I have anxiety off the bat, you know?

That's reasonable, and what most do.

Try to ease the anxiety into one of your chats. I agree it's a good idea to get that out there on the table but don't knock him over the head with it. Less can be more, and there is a time and place for everything...in time.

But you seem to be aware of a lot of that.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then, when it scares the other person away, they feel that it was inevitable because of what ever problems they have. But that is a sure recipe to drive people away.

I get the idea that's not going to happen but a good point just in case. Something to be careful of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, I think I'm going to pass. My self esteem is messed up and he deserves someone better than me ,that can at least meet him half way.
Don't count on a second chance with him if you turn him down. Don't turn him down because you don't think you're good enough. Turn someone down if they're creepy, or if they have obvious deal-breakers. If someone "too good" for you wants to give you a chance, take that chance.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,087,476.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Here's another take on this. How do you know that he is good enough for YOU? Perhaps you are just looking at things on a superficial level. Just because he has certain worldly things people value, that doesn't tell you what he is like on the inside. What is on the inside is what is important.

What is on the inside of you? Are you honest and kind and supportive? Well, if so, great. Value yourself. Do not try to present yourself to him as a loser.

I would say first pray to know if you should even spend time with this guy. 2nd pray to be a good friend to him, if you are with him. Just keep praying and letting your Heavenly Father guide you. One thing you can be sure of, in His eyes the fellow is not one bit more loved or important to Him than you are. Walk around with that knowledge. It's the truth. You're His kid. He loves you.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tell yourself the truth first. You consider yourself a loser. Is that low self-esteem or is it true? Is you life in serving Jesus, the One and Only begotten son of God or is it in serving yourself and your position in the world. Then tell him what you just answered because that is more of the truth. If he walks because you were truthful then is heart is in the world and is not in the Word.

Upvote 0