Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is best to pray that the Holy Spirit give us discernment with regards to giving alms to the poor and needy. Giving money to someone who may use it to harm themselves either physically, mentally, emotionally or spiritually is not genuine loving compassion.
The Bible tells us to love our neighbour as ourselves and a beggar is surely our neighbour. I think it's safest to donate to an organisation that helps people on a fundamental, holistic level rather than give cash out to every random beggar. Still, sometimes we might be moved by the Holy Spirit to give to the beggar. Every beggar can be Jesus in disguise.
I suppose which country we are in will impact our decision. There are very few beggars here as there are social safety nets and organisations to help with most situations of poverty, homelessness, mental ill-health, debt and addictions. Therefore most beggars here are likely to be addicts and I can better give my money to the Salvation Army. Maybe in your country there are genuine beggars going hungry with no safety net to rely on, then you will feel differently.

Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't trust most panhandlers. There are way too many able-bodied people out there running a scam. I've seen it dozens of times.

Even so, a lot of homeless shelters have special kits you can give to panhandlers that include a change of socks, a few snacks, maps, bus routes that take passengers to their shelters and some other stuff. Giving those things away is probably of far greater value to the truly needy.

Apart from that, giving food to panhandlers is probably helpful too. I've done that before and their reaction will tell you a lot about why they're REALLY out there.

What I'm just not comfortable doing is giving them money. Even if they really are homeless and in desperate need, they may want money but they may actually need something else.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I rarely give money directly to panhandlers because it is usually used for drugs and alcohol. It is far better to give through your local vetted charitable agencies. That same money with actually go much further and do more good and less harm.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Should I give money to beggar?
If I don't give, am I not compassionate?
What's the Bible wants me to do?

Good question! I think that you should give either money or food to a beggar in the street. I wouldn't say that it wouldn't be compassionate to not give money to a beggar it just wouldn't be very nice would it? The Bible wants us to give money to the poor. So the Bible says Yes, we should give money to beggars who need it.

I rarely give money directly to panhandlers because it is usually used for drugs and alcohol. It is far better to give through your local vetted charitable agencies. That same money with actually go much further and do more good and less harm.

How do you know it's used for drugs and alcohol? That's an excuse everybody gives for not giving but most of the time money given to the poor is used for food, shelter, and clothing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟961,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have a personal rule. I don't give to cardboard sign holders standing at shopping center exit drives or on median strips at stoplights. I do give to persons on the street who approach me and ask me directly for help. I figure if someone has to humble themselves enough to ask me, I will give to them. I worship in a downtown church near a homeless shelter. Every morning the shelter turns the previous nights guests out, and many walk by my church. I try to always be prepared to help someone that asks. It seems wrong to turn down someone when I'm on my way into church...and I think about "you did it unto me" and that angels unaware thing.

I read an interesting study once that debunks the idea that most money goes to alcohol or drugs. If I can find it again, I will post it.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Learned to say, we'll go with you and buy some food. How about from XX across the street? Found many will refuse and honestly say I want the money. But if they agree with the food purchase idea, then we follow through. (I don't do this when I'm alone though).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
"Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.

“If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."

- Jesus -

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately, many homeless people are homeless by choice.

it's best to give food and basic hygiene products - and to point them to local shelters and job agencies, and places to go for a free shower. Basically send them in the right direction

Anyone truly looking for help will be glad
To accept these things and use them as
Stepping stones to get back up on their feet

There's a difference between helping and enabling.

You can make $200-300 in a day standing on the corner begging for money...

Besides, money usually isn't what put these people where they are, so giving them money isn't what they need

It's best IMO to partner or contribute to local shelters and organizations, but also to keep basic hygiene products and snack bags for
People, particularly if you come across them on foot.

You could always pick up the person on the corner a yummy meal for less than $10.
If they are truly homeless and hungry, they will be glad to get a good meal.

Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,086,669.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That's a tough call. Some beggars just want money for alcohol or drugs. Once I had a guy appraoch me and ask for money for milk for his baby. I asked him to stay where he was and told him I would go to a nearby grocery store and get some iinfant formula, which I did. Not to my surprise, when I got back from my short trip, he was gone.

One thing you can do is carry food bars and give them away. I personally prefer to give to an organization that helps homeless people as it is more likely to actually be helping them in good ways.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0