Should I choose a denominational church?

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I do not think my beliefs match any single denomination. It would feel wrong to join a church I disagree with, but with no good nondenominatal churches where I live, I seem to be stuck with doing just that. Is selecting a denomination to belong in a bad thing?

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think many people have certain things they do not agree with in any denomination. The key is finding a church that you can feel welcomed in and grow with that is biblical and sound. I myself am listed as Messianic by these forums, but my custom title says "Messianic and Lutheran" as I am really in the middle of both traditions and mainly attend a Lutheran church.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I do not think my beliefs match any single denomination. It would feel wrong to join a church I disagree with, but with no good nondenominatal churches where I live, I seem to be stuck with doing just that. Is selecting a denomination to belong in a bad thing?

I did the bible church for a while, it did not meet my needs really. Then I got introduced to the Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, and to be honest it's great.

It's your choice, there is nothing wrong with denominations, there is nothing wrong with bible churches either.

However, there are not as many independent churches as one would think, most are part of some association of like minded congregations.

Not being a denomination, is being a denomination unto it's self.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The main thing to remember is there is no perfect denomination (or non-denom) and that what you want is a group that seeks perfection and is making an impact in their community. The idea that you will find anyone you agree with 100% of the time is not realistic so don't use that as your measuring stick. Make the fruit they exude (love, peace, joy, patience, etc.) and the impact they have on those around them to be the measuring stick.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
However, there are not as many independent churches as one would think, most are part of some association of like minded congregations.

Not being a denomination, is being a denomination unto it's self.

This is true, MANY churches that seem non-denominational around here are actually part of the Southern Baptist Association, they just don't advertise that fact.

• Agree
Reactions: Silverback
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The Vineyard advertises itself as nondenominational because they welcome everyone, even those who do not yet believe Jesus is Lord. At the end of many services the pastor asks people to stand if they decided, based on the worship and his sermon, to surrender to God. Every time he does, some people do that.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
ChristianForCats,

As others have noted already, non-denominational congregations are not free of the problems of denominations, as is often thought. They merely are tiny denominations. Since you have already ruled out the non-denoms in your area, that point may be moot, but which denominational church to join??

I do not know your beliefs, so it is hard to know how to point you to any particular church based on what is in the original post here, but if you have no preferences at the present, I would say to 1) get hold of some book that compares the denominations and/or 2) take one of those surveys that are online and supposedly tell you what your beliefs approximate (although I find many of them rather inaccurate) and go from there to 3) making visits to the various Protestant churches that are in your area.

If you have attended non-denominational churches already and generally were satisfied with them, the Baptists or Pentecostals (Assemblies of God or Church of God-Cleveland, Tennessee, for example) are most likely to meet your needs.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

Only if you worship the denomination.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
ChristianForCats,

As others have noted already, non-denominational congregations are not free of the problems of denominations, as is often thought. They merely are tiny denominations. Since you have already ruled out the non-denoms in your area, that point may be moot, but which denominational church to join?

I do not know your beliefs, so it is hard to know how to point you to any particular church based on what is in the original post here, but if you have no preferences at the present, I would say to 1) get hold of some book that compares the denominations and/or 2) take one of those surveys that are online and supposedly tell you what your beliefs approximate (although I find many of them rather inaccurate) and go from there to 3) making visits to the various Protestant churches that are in your area.

I only ruled out one non-denominational church and just don't know any others in my area. If there was a church similar to the Vineyard (wihtout its problematic sanctuary) I wouldhave tried it 5+ years ago.

My beliefs are:

1. Baptism is a public demonstration of salvation, not a requirement.
2. Men and women should have equal rights to be church leaders.
3. Communion strictly involves drinking wine, not grape juice.
4. Not all parts of the Bible are supposed to be interpreted literally.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pray about it.. Jesus is real. To help your faith. We moved to Colorado and one day.. just talking nothing more lol.. I said to the lord "remember in Calf when that pastor came to our door" (yeah they USE to do that). I said "we don't know where to go up here..be nice if you did that again".. lol I was just TALKING..

Well about a week later at night we get this knock on our door. Older man was asking if so and so lived here. I said no sorry. He says thanks.. turns and walks off.. stops I hear him say "no.... God would not have me go to the wrong house for no reason. He comes backs hands me this card. He was a preacher.. and I looked up what they believe and it was everything I believe.. as in a word Church.. believed the word.

I ONLY give this to help your faith.. not to boast. He loves you so much.. KNOW He hears you..KNOW He will answer. We tend to pray ask.. and leave. Try it with family or friends.. talk to them ask them something.. and before they answer...walk away lol. We need to pray ask.. and wait on Him....give Him time to answer. We carry so much of this world with us.. just wait on Him.. and even strength will come.. keep your mind on Him.. peace HIS peace will come.. ALL of which HE promised to those that LOVE HIM!

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

Non denominational churches are a denomination, despite the name. They are a denomination of one, and often have very particular beliefs that you only find out about later.

I would recommend going to something like the Episcopal Church, American Baptist Church, or the UCC, if you don't know where you belong. Just fellowship with other Christians and hear the Gospel. They will generally just preach "Mere Christianity". They might also suit your personality better.

Despite what you may think, you don't have to be on the same page completely as these churches to go there and worship with them. Just agree with the basics. You would even be welcome at our church as long as you respect what we do (we do baptize children, but we do not view it as "absolutely necessary" for salvation, just desirable).

I understand you have Asperger's (as do I) and this may be difficult for you to understand at first, especially if you come from much more "Bible" type or charismatic churches. So I am just cluing you in a bit. Fellowship and worship with other Christians who are willing to love one another and journey together in faith is more important than complete confessional agreement. There will never be any church where everybody has exactly the same attitudes towards everything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I only ruled out one non-denominational church and just don't know any others in my area. If there was a church similar to the Vineyard (wihtout its problematic sanctuary) I wouldhave tried it 5+ years ago.

My beliefs are:

1. Baptism is a public demonstration of salvation, not a requirement.
2. Men and women should have equal rights to be church leaders.
3. Communion strictly involves drinking wine, not grape juice.
4. Not all parts of the Bible are supposed to be interpreted literally.
I have to admit I’m not aware of a church that doesn’t believe baptism is efficacious yet still only permits real wine in communion. But it wouldn’t be the first time I learned something new.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
CFC, I have to agree with what Tigger said about this combination of doctrines.

I have, however, heard that Independent Fundamental Baptists use wine and that there are some Churches of Christ which do also, so they may deserve a looking at. Otherwise, I don't know if you can find all four of these issues in any denomination--or very many non-denoms either, for that matter.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have to admit I’m not aware of a church that doesn’t believe baptism is efficacious yet still only permits real wine in communion. But it wouldn’t be the first time I learned something new.

I read Pentacostals drink grape juice instead of wine.

Baptists (perhaps ironically) do not baptize babies. However they fired female pastors based on sex alone and as an American citizen I cannot accept that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
CFC, I have to agree with what Tigger said about this combination of doctrines.

I have, however, heard that Independent Fundamental Baptists use wine and that there are some Churches of Christ which do also, so they may deserve a looking at. Otherwise, I don't know if you can find all four of these issues in any denomination--or very many non-denoms either, for that matter.

What are independent fundamentals?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I read Pentacostals drink grape juice instead of wine.

Baptists (perhaps ironically) do not baptize babies. However they fired female pastors based on sex alone and as an American citizen I cannot accept that.

I think you are confusing civil rights with church doctrines. While I very much disagree with the idea that women cannot enter the holy ministry, I also do not believe that people that do not ordain women as pastors are necessarily doing so out of bad intentions, and it is their right to conduct their religion in the manner they see fit according to their conscience, not mine.

Some Baptists actually do ordain women. The American Baptist Church is one such denomination.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
  • Informative
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, that is true of some Baptist churches and conventions. The American Baptist Churches--a pretty large convention--are not like that, if I remember correctly.

Jimmy Carter actually left the Southern Baptists a few years ago to become an American Baptist, but they are not as common in certain parts of the country- a legacy of the Civil War splitting many denominations in the US. But there generally are a few of these types of these churches in any metro area, simply because times have changed and people move around the country and bring their religion with them now.

Upvote 0