Should christian sex offenders only be forgiven by the church or also do jail time?

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was a news story recently about a youth pastor who used his position of power to emotionally manipulate a 17 year old youth group member into giving him oral sex.

Young, and naive, she thought he loved her.

He repented publicly only after she wrote about it in a blog.

Now the her former church is persecuting HER for speaking, and holding her responsible, as if she were some kind of beguiling woman, who used her womanly powers to bewitch the poor suffering man, so that he could not help his self.

Apparently, she feels that he should also receive jail or prison time, and not just being forgiven by the church alone.

He is being forgiven and applauded and she is being ostracized.

When a sex crime is committed by a Christian, should then, the healing only be by confession and forgiveness, or should there also be criminal repercussions?

EDIT to add: Here is the link to the story I was referring to, but I would love feedback on the concept in general, thank you.

Opinion | I Was Assaulted. He Was Applauded.
Christians are not immune to the civil law. If we break the law we will be tried and if found guilty be punished. Our forgiveness by the church and even the offended will not wipe away the temporal justice we must face.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The OP is asking should they do jail time?

To which the answer has to be, yes if they committed a crime, and no if they did not.
The OP also asked should the church forgive them. My question is what does forgiveness look like and represent to congregation and victim.

• Friendly
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Did he? Which particular section of the Texas penal code (chapter 22) do you think applies?

He wasn't actually a clergyman at the time, it wasn't rape, and the girl was over the age of consent.

Meant to write if he broke the law. Thanks, I'll edit. Jeepers, you sure do know the Texas penal code down pat.

Still, what a disgraceful thing for him to do to that gal.

Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The OP also asked should the church forgive them. My question is what does forgiveness look like and represent to congregation and victim.
also asking about church forgiveness.

yes, I did ask this as well....

usa gymnastics now has a list of permanently banned members who were coaches and is adding one with suspensions as well, along with the reason(s)

did it take so much pain and suffering to get the abuse to stop? yes

now there are investigations going on as well in other sports where athletes are particularly vulnerable such as swimming and figure skating

would it even be feasible to gather information together for such a list on pastors?

and would it be godly to keep this list?

do we believe that our god changes ppl or not?

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
While there's much focus on the Savage case - the OP is also asking about church forgiveness. What's it take exactly to be forgiven by the church given the large volume of past and ongoing sexual offences coming from christian churches.

I give you more recent ones of rapes by pastors - whats our response to them. Should the church ever forgive them and what does forgiveness actually represent?
3 pastors charged for allegedly raping 3 girls

Salvation Army pastor rapes woman (19) in church office, hotel | The Chronicle

Perth pastor David Volmer who raped 13-year-old girl is jailed for 10 years | Daily Mail Online

California pastor sought in sexual assault of young girl at motel turns himself in

Fairfield youth pastor charged with sexual assault

Former youth pastor in Parker charged with sexual abuse of 3 underage girls

Police arrest McAllen pastor accused of sexually assaulting 16-year-old girl

Tipton County pastor accused of sexually assaulting juvenile, tries to hurt himself

Medford pastor pleads guilty to sexual assaults

Former Midlands youth pastor charged with sexually assaulting teenager

The appalling thing is this is just recent cases and the list goes on and on and on.
What strikes me about the very long list of priests/pastors is that seems out of proportion to other secular spheres. If we were to generate a list of lawyers or male nurses or carpenters - would the list be as long as what we find with religious leaders. Isnt this trend contrary to the very faith we place in our religious leaders? - I say we but in actual fact I do NOT have faith in male religious leaders and will not talk or consult with them. I make a point of avoiding them and consulting only with FEMALE ministers/pastors.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
and would it be godly to keep this list?

In Australia, the government keeps a list of people who have done wrong in this regard. You're not supposed to work with kids unless you have a card to show you're not on the list:

wwc+card+-+dec+2016.jpg

• Winner
Upvote 0

teresa

Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In Australia, the government keeps a list of people who have done wrong in this regard. You're not supposed to work with kids unless you have a card to show you're not on the list:

wwc+card+-+dec+2016.jpg
thank you radagast, I am impressed with this card. does it keep predators away successfully?

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

wwc+card+-+dec+2016.jpg
Yes Australia has a good system. It doesnt Stop the likes of that Perth pastor Volmer but it weeds out those that have offended or have offences pending.

• Informative
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my universe, the "special friend that you cuddle in your bedroom" is either a girlfriend or a wife.
It was "tickle", not "cuddle". There is a big difference between the two. Tickling doesn't necessarily mean anything more than playing, especially when the two had apparently known each other since the girl was 14. To me, it seems like there were a group of students in the house at the time and the two were caught playing in his room and were asked to return to the group.

Screen-Shot-2018-03-09-at-4.40.37-PM-194x300.png

I don't know which generation you were born. These days flirting doesn't always mean interest in going anything further than flirting. Even agreeing to go on a date doesn't necessarily mean wanting to take it further to develop a relationship.

Sure, flirting could also be testing the water, and going on a date could mean getting to know each other and see if we click. But by no means these would mean committing to a relationship to be boyfriend and girlfriend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That's a little deceptive; pastors get much more media coverage.
Im not sure if its deceptive or accurate as I have no data to back up my concerns. Still the fact that its such a long list in the first place is alarming.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
thank you radagast, I am impressed with this card. does it keep predators away successfully?

No system is perfect, of course. Really, it only stops repeat offenders.

But there are also procedural rules which stop first-time offences.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
maybe pastors can carry around a card too

In Australia, they do. In fact, all church employees and volunteers do.

@Paidiske could advise. I think I recall her saying this is a requirement for ministers

It is a requirement, and I would imagine that she has exactly such a card, because the picture I posted was from her state.

In the US, best practice for churches actually seems to be to get insurance against sexual assault lawsuits. The insurance company will then, as a condition of insurance, provide a detailed set of rules and procedures for the church to follow. For example, no church employee should ever be alone in a car with a child. Every church employee should have that rule (and all the other rules) explained to them when they join.

In the US, many states do maintain sexual offender registries; I do not know whether churches can easily check them.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Lily of Valleys

Jun 30, 2017
Australia
✟68,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When a sex crime is committed by a Christian, should then, the healing only be by confession and forgiveness, or should there also be criminal repercussions?
It should be reported to the law enforcement to let them decide whether the offender is to be prosecuted.

If the offender repents, the church should forgive them and restore them as member of the body. However, the offender should not be put in a pastoral position, or elder or deacon:

An overseer, then, must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, temperate, prudent, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not addicted to wine or pugnacious, but gentle, peaceable, free from the love of money. He must be one who manages his own household well, keeping his children under control with all dignity (but if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how will he take care of the church of God?), and not a new convert, so that he will not become conceited and fall into the condemnation incurred by the devil. And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church, so that he will not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Deacons likewise must be men of dignity, not double-tongued, or addicted to much wine or fond of sordid gain, but holding to the mystery of the faith with a clear conscience. These men must also first be tested; then let them serve as deacons if they are beyond reproach. Women must likewise be dignified, not malicious gossips, but temperate, faithful in all things. Deacons must be husbands of only one wife, and good managers of their children and their own households. For those who have served well as deacons obtain for themselves a high standing and great confidence in the faith that is in Christ Jesus.
(1 Timothy 3:2-13 NASB)​

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Many victim advocates argue that a power imbalance plays a role.
Absolutely it does. No matter what the situation, if there is a superior/subordinate relationship, there can be no "consent." Even if the "subordinate" initiates the activity.

When I was an elder in a congregation 20+ years ago, there was a situation with the youth leader in the congregation. He was having sex with the daughter of one of the worship leaders. (those 2 guys were best friends) I and the pastor had to break the news to the dad.

In talking to the youth leader, and the girl, SHE was the one who initiated. They both agreed on that, and her mother knew about it as well and knew her daughter kept hitting on the guy and did everything in her power to get him to be with her.

He was about 22 years old, she was 16 (the age of consent in that jurisdiction) But the guy was STILL responsible. He was the leader.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Forgiveness has NOTHING to do with the perp. It has everything to do with the "victim" being open for God's healing.

Forgiving someone does NOT let them off the hook for their misdeeds in any way shape or form.

Upvote 0