Should christian sex offenders only be forgiven by the church or also do jail time?

teresa

Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There was a news story recently about a youth pastor who used his position of power to emotionally manipulate a 17 year old youth group member into giving him oral sex.

Young, and naive, she thought he loved her.

He repented publicly only after she wrote about it in a blog.

Now the her former church is persecuting HER for speaking, and holding her responsible, as if she were some kind of beguiling woman, who used her womanly powers to bewitch the poor suffering man, so that he could not help his self.

Apparently, she feels that he should also receive jail or prison time, and not just being forgiven by the church alone.

He is being forgiven and applauded and she is being ostracized.

When a sex crime is committed by a Christian, should then, the healing only be by confession and forgiveness, or should there also be criminal repercussions?

EDIT to add: Here is the link to the story I was referring to, but I would love feedback on the concept in general, thank you.

Opinion | I Was Assaulted. He Was Applauded.

Last edited:

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If a Christian murders someone, or steals, would they not face criminal charges? Of course he should face jail time.

But, at 17 she is probably over the age of consent. (depends on the jurisdiction) That makes things more difficult to prosecute.

Upvote 0

teresa

Supporter
Dec 15, 2015
united states
✟285,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If a Christian murders someone, or steals, would they not face criminal charges? Of course he should face jail time.

But, at 17 she is probably over the age of consent. (depends on the jurisdiction) That makes things more difficult to prosecute.
thanks dave...Im not sure what to think myself, as we are not of this world, right?

I will try and find the link to the story

EDIT to add: I found the link to the story and have added it here:

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since something similar happened to my daughter, I am all for throwing the book at him.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
thanks dave...Im not sure what to think myself, as we are not of this world, right?
How can you not know what to think about this? If anybody breaks the law, they deserve to be prosecuted. It isn't complicated.

Upvote 0

Long Island Pilgrim

Supporter
Jan 30, 2016
NY
✟67,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was writing to a two time convicted sex offender in prison ministry for a short time and he started manipulating very quickly in correspondence. He was very effective at writing one thing and then writing a contrary thing in the same letter. The way he was doing it was essentially the same exact thing as "saying one thing and doing another". His words and figurative actions did not line up. He was trying to set me up to send money. It was quite educational because I realized how effectively thay can manipulate even in correspondence. My take away from the whole experience is that sex offenders don't seem to be easily deterred even with repeated serious consequences like prison. This is an strong indication of how willful they are. So prison is still a necessary response. They are people who seek control and dominance but fortunately among the prison population they are marginalized and not respected. And this is exactly the appropriate environment that this breed of criminal needs in order to be broken. The Bible calls these people froward and that they are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
do we ignore the crime, bc we give to Caesar what is Caesar's?
We pray that God would use 'Ceasar' to do what He intended for Ceasar to do: wield the sword to protect the innocent and punish the guilty. Romans 13:3-4

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Why would the religious convictions of the accused have any bearing whatsoever on the legal repercussions of the act committed? :scratch:
The biggest most deceptive cults are all guilty of heinous sex crimes every day.
They deny it first, and they do what they can to protect the guilty ones,
and they always persecute the innocent ones and the victims.
This has been always true , it is not just a recent thing.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
We pray that God would use 'Ceasar' to do what He intended for Ceasar to do: wield the sword to protect the innocent and punish the guilty. Romans 13:3-4
But today, as for centuries, 'Caesar' is usually and often in bed with the religious world, protecting the evil doers, executing the Ekklesia/ innocent blameless ones- little ones - weak ones.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There was a news story recently about a youth pastor who used his position of power to emotionally manipulate a 17 year old youth group member into giving him oral sex.

Now the her former church is persecuting HER for speaking, and holding her responsible, as if she were some kind of beguiling woman, who used her womanly powers to bewitch the poor suffering man, so that he could not help his self.

Apparently, she feels that he should also receive jail or prison time, and not just being forgiven by the church alone.

When a sex crime is committed by a Christian, should then, the healing only be by confession and forgiveness, or should there also be criminal repercussions?

EDIT to add: Here is the link to the story I was referring to, but I would love feedback on the concept in general, thank you.

I would definitely agree with others here that the guy shouldn’t be seen as exempted from possible legal action, if there is a legal case to answer, because he has ‘repented’ - although from what you’ve said his sincerity is questionable. The kind of scenarios Paul wrote about in 1 Cor 6 are more about business disputes, maybe land or property disputes, things of that sort - at least that’s what the language used suggests to me.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The article linked says:

"Jules Woodson says she was 17 when her youth pastor, Andy Savage, sexually assaulted her."
.....so it doesn't really matter *what* age she was.....it *wasn't* consensual. The fact that this was her youth pastor.....and he was spiritually viewed as an "authority" figure adds even more of an imbalance of power into it (making it spiritual abuse as well).

It's sickening to read that, when he confessed, he received applause. I think our mainstream American churches are confused about forgiveness.....and the whole idea (lie) that's spread that "men just can't help themselves" when it comes to sex plays into this whole thing as well.

• Winner
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In reading more about this case, it seems to me that the only one that has the proper attitude it the pastor that resigned (everyone else seems to be in denial and oblivious to the harm that was done....and message that's being sent by their response):

---->Larry Cotton, who was the pastor to whom Jules Woodson reported what happened between her and Savage, announced his resignation from The Austin Stone Community Church last week. Cotton said in a letter to church members that he decided to step down from his ministry leadership position after coming to understand "the weight of my mistakes."​

More: Church leader tied to embattled Memphis pastor Andy Savage placed on leave

More: Andy Savage: A search for truth on the road to justice

"I now understand that I did not do enough to serve Jules and help her feel protected and cared for," Cotton wrote in a letter to church members Thursday. "I understand that I failed to report the sexual abuse — I wish I had reported to the proper authorities."​

Savage also is on leave from his ministry position at Highpoint Church in East Memphis pending an investigation, expected to conclude by March 1. Savage has said he will abide by the wishes of church leadership once the investigation is complete.​

Highpoint leaders, who said they were aware of the Texas case before Savage was hired, have expressed support. Church members gave Savage a standing ovation after he spoke about the case shortly after it came to light in January.~​
Pastor involved in Andy Savage sexual assault case resigns

• Winner
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'd be curious about a vote.
How many would say he should be punished by God's law (the OT, not Jesus' "forgiveness").... and how many say man's law should be applied?
:scratch:
That's an interesting dichotomy you're presenting there. I do think that's how a lot of churches look at it ("God's law vs Man's law), but I don't think that's how things are split. I don't know too many people that believe we should resort to OT variety of punishment, though (gratefully).

Isn't the Kingdom of God a current thing, though (especially in Christian churches)? It's not about "punishing" people....I see it more about protecting the innocent people and establishing a safe environment.

The way I see it.....there'd be no reason for this man (Andy Savage) to be forever condemned and kept from ministry, but it seems like this church is applying cheap grace in sweeping this under the rug years ago. I don't see any signs--from what I've read--of him or the leadership team seeing the harm in what happened.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟312,681.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

No. They should go to prison. Even longer because they operate in a position of trust.

So I say more prison time for anyone who use their status (be it a vicar, teacher, doctor or police officer).

Upvote 0