Should Christian Anarchists attempt to hold a house church meeting?

Norman70

Nov 8, 2018
St Philip
✟62,302.00
Country
Barbados
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@mark kennedy. When I was trained as a school teacher in 1966 we were all involved and instructed to use small group work. With a class divided thus, no group had a leader. Individuals might display leadership but none was appointed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Norman70

Nov 8, 2018
St Philip
✟62,302.00
Country
Barbados
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@chilehed. Of course the Kingdom of God is a Kingdom, because God is King. But for Christians God is within each of us in the form of the Holy Spirit, therefore in a spiritual sense we are all kings. We are all equal, as Tolstoy writes in the title of his book "The Kingdom of God is Within You".

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
@chilehed. Of course the Kingdom of God is a Kingdom, because God is King. But for Christians God is within each of us in the form of the Holy Spirit, therefore in a spiritual sense we are all kings. We are all equal, as Tolstoy writes in the title of his book "The Kingdom of God is Within You".

That's a bit of a mis-translation from Scripture.

All Ekklesia are called to be PRIESTS in the KINGDOM of YAHWEH....
they
are not all to be kings, nor is that meant.

Upvote 0

Norman70

Nov 8, 2018
St Philip
✟62,302.00
Country
Barbados
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mis-translations of the original languages abound and my post has little connection with the Scriptures. I am certainly not a literalist, I read the written words in any English translation in my search for a spiritual connection with the Word, which is Jesus.
At Pentecost Jesus, who is God, filled His believers with the Holy Spirit, who is God. We are all trinitarians. Our relationship with God is a spiritual one, through Jesus, and when we have it the Holy Spirit resides within us. We are not God, but we are children of God.
I sometimes wonder whether or not this spiritual connection with God is lacking in all of us as we discuss these matters in our extremely limited worldly ways.

• Winner
Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I think Yahweh's Word in Corinthians puts it well , describing carnal believers ....
and Ephesians and Galatians describing all society as under the enemy ....
and Revelation saying the whole world is deceived, and the whole world refuses to repent of serving demons ... (same as worshiping demons) ....

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You have just illustrated the why and how of where hierarchies come from!
The false hierarchy is fed and watered every time you put your house church under the covering of a Christian organisation (itself a hierarchy), or yourself under the covering of another man.
The notion of spiritual "covering", although well taught throughout the church system, is in fact a doctrine of demons and must be repudiated at all costs.

The people within the organised church structure belong to the Lord, but the organisation belongs to Satan, and I will always make that clear to any Christian who will listen. As far as I am concerned, the institution is a Christian prison that does immense damage, and prevents Christians doing the work of the Lord.

Yes, God is our theoretical lead, but in practice it is the church which dictates the direction Christians should go, not God.

My motive is to set the captive saints free, so they can truly appreciate the headship of Christ alone, rather than some pastor figure.
If you put another man over your head, you cannot have Christ as your head.
the NT church had apostles and a string of positions below them. Paul wrote to Timothy speaking of qualifications of bishops (administrators) and deacons (servants [of the church]) but what was Timothy? he was an appointer of bishops and deacons and Paul was over him. Some regard him as an apostle himself but whatever his role clearly the NT church had a hierarchical system and was accountable in this system.

Paul is even quoted saying "Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ" so this idea we should resort to christian anarchy is simply foolish and has no biblical backing. Even under Moses he appoint judges under him and Jesus had his 12 so at what point to you see anarchy promoted as a biblical model?

Corrupted people are no reason to reject hierarchical systems and if God is not our lead than regardless what system you are under (even no system) then you are operating under a corrupted model that will lead to destruction.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

All Ekklesia are called to be PRIESTS in the KINGDOM of YAHWEH....
they
are not all to be kings, nor is that meant.
yet a royal priesthood

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I disagree completely.
Jesus expressly rejected any hierarchy in the church for the simple reason it is invariably driven by the flesh, as scripture shows.

The following relates an early attempt at power grabbing by the disciples, who were obviously looking to be at the top of the pile when Jesus was crowned.
In this story, the mother of James and John quietly comes to see Jesus.
Matthew20v21And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him, Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on the left, in thy kingdom. 22...………………………..

But when they others hear, they are jealous because James and John got there first!
24And when the ten heard it, they were moved with indignation against the two brethren.

Now Jesus has got their attention, he dissects the issue.
25But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
Yup, the disciples' thinking was perfectly normal in any society. To run the show, you need power and position!

But the kingdom of Jesus Christ is not just any society and He immediately slaps down their ideas of hierarchy!
26But it shall not be so among you: Grrrgghh! (My emphasis added just so you take note!)
This little phrase is probably the most ignored in scripture, but not just ignored, but entirely reversed by the church.

...........but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your servant;
Pastors are hailed as servants. But anyone bothering to fact check the average church will immediately know these pastors are the boss, not servants.

27And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your slave:
Yes, it actually does say "slave" in there!
If the pastor is a slave why do people have to ask his permission before doing anything?

28Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

The whole of this passage reveals Jesus's complete rejection of the antichrist hierarchical system that all churches have been built on since the early days.

Until the saints reject the headship of other men over them, they will never truly experience the headship of Christ.
I believe all these scriptures are referring to humility and servant leadership. Servant leadership is leadership none-the-less. Leaders are in position to serve, not to be served. There should be no question as to the authority of Jesus. However, in spite of His authority, He exercised servant leadership through Humility. Philippians 2.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As shown in the text, Romans13 is about the secular world authorities, not the church.
Therefore there is no issue to reconcile.

I disagree. Although the focus on Romans 13 is secular authority. We ought not put the Sovereignty of God in a box. Romans 13 says "Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established." When he said "there is no authority except that which God has established", he meant it. That includes the authorities found in the church. It would not be possible for the Pope to gain power if God did not allow it. If God allowed it, then He allowed it for a reason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Warnings against the abuse of hierarchical authority constitute a rejection of hierarchical authority? That's a pretty fancy bit of rationalization, and I'm sure it takes that to avoid the fact that the Kingdom of God is, in fact, a kingdom.
Of course the Kingdom of God is a kingdom, but that fact does not indicate any authority to create a descending order of hierarchy below King Jesus.
Just like on a human body, there is one head on Christ's body, and that's Jesus himself.
"Remember your leaders who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith… Obey your leaders and defer to them, for they keep watch over you and will have to give an account, that they may fulfill their task with joy and not with sorrow, for that would be of no advantage to you." Hebrews 13:7, 13
There are two meanings to the word "leader" and you have chosen the wrong one.
1). Leader. Someone in authority, a king, ruler, president, policeman, teacher. etc.
2). Leader. Someone who arrived there before others, as in a race, in discoveries, in inventions, in landing on the moon, etc.

You will note that No1. has power to control other people, whereas, No2 has no control over other people.
It is the No2 type of leadership that scripture expects of the church. Sadly carnal human nature craves power over others, and will invariably choose No1.

And proof that your Hebrews quotes refer to those who have done the journey first, and not to ruling powers, is clearly given by the context.
The preceding chapters gives a long list of the faithful believers who have gone first, starting at Abel, Enoch Noah Abraham Sarah Isaac Jacob...…..etc.
It is this type of leader your verses refer to, not commanders and kings!
“I repeat the request I made of you when I was on my way to Macedonia, that you stay in Ephesus to instruct certain people not to teach false doctrines” 1 Tim 1:3
Irrelevant.
"This is now, beloved, the second letter I am writing to you; through them by way of reminder I am trying to stir up your sincere disposition, to recall the words previously spoken by the holy prophets and the commandment of the Lord and savior through your apostles." Pet. 3:2
Proves my point above.
“Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me." Luke 10:16
If you think that the faithful were free to ignore the Apostles that Christ set in authority, or free to ignore the men who they in turn set in authority over us, then that's your business. But don't pretend that you think it because of what the Bible says.
And I advise you to stop pretending the bible supports the church hierarchy when its only support is tradition.
Obviously Jesus appointed apostles, but they were never given command power like you believe. Carnal power like that belongs to earthly governments.
Jesus was Lord of all creation, but he never used that power against the saints, nor does he call us to do so.
The following scripture shows the nature of Jesus's leadership, and it is the polar opposite of what you advocate.-
John6v66From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. 67Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
The disciples who walked away were free to do so, and here we see Jesus giving the twelve that same freedom.

The hierarchical structure of the church is a complete offense against the nature of Jesus himself, and against the Godly nature he called the church to walk in.
Still less can you blame what the immediate successors of the Apostles wrote. So when some self-appointed clowns show up fifteen hundred years and more later and start spouting a lot of nonsense that contradicts both Scripture and what all of the earliest Christians believed, I'm sure not gonna trust them.
I have no interest in your church fathers, given they are the ones responsible for starting all the heresies.
And thankyou, thankyou thankyou for the following brilliant quote, straight from the mouth of the antichrist!
“I exhort you to be careful to do all things in the unity of God, since the bishop sits in the place of God,
Anyone who "sits in the place of God" is an antichrist, a clear proof that the power behind the bishop's throne is the spirit of antichrist, and not Christ!
For surely they wished all those and their successors to be perfect and without reproach, to whom they handed on their authority…It is necessary to obey those who are the presbyters of the Church, those who, as we have shown, have succession from the Apostles;
There you go again, another heresy, "apostolic succession!"
those who have received, with the succession of the epicopate, the sure charism of truth according to the good pleasure of the Father. But the rest, who have no part in the primitive succession and assemble wheresoever they will, must be held in suspicion…For all of these [heretics] are of much later date than are the bishops to whom the Apostles handed over the Churches…” Againt Heresies (inter AD 180/199)
Here we go again, "handed over the church"! The church belongs to Christ, but your hierarchical tradition makes it belong to power hungry leaders.
“Since, however, it would be very tedious, in such a volume as this, to reckon up the successions of all the Churches, we do put to confusion all those who, in whatever manner, whether by an evil self-pleasing, by vainglory, or by blindness and perverse opinion, assemble in unauthorized meetings;
There you go again, unauthorised meetings. Who gave these evil self pleasing vainglorious leaders power over the how and when Christians can meet together?
by indicating that tradition derived from the apostles, of the very great, the very ancient, and universally known Church founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles, Peter and Paul;
Hahaha!
The minute you refer back to Rome, any authority you might have had goes straight down the plug hole!
All the vain glory mentioned in your last passage is rooted back to the heretical traditions of Rome and has no place in any discussions of church leadership.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
It's not a matter of being equal, it's a matter of the office to which some are appointed and to which most are not.
There is no mention of "office" in the original language.
"Office" is just an added word from the translators, who simply followed traditional beliefs that reinforce the hierarchy.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I believe all these scriptures are referring to humility and servant leadership. Servant leadership is leadership none-the-less. Leaders are in position to serve, not to be served. There should be no question as to the authority of Jesus. However, in spite of His authority, He exercised servant leadership through Humility. Philippians 2.
You have proved my point.
All leadership should be servant leadership, as Jesus demonstrated, but that is not what we see in Church.
The command nature of church leadership is demonstrated by the man at the front syndrome. Everything comes from that man, he stands as intermediary, priest, teacher, prophet.
Anyone who wants to do anything in church has to ask that man at the front, or ask his lieutenants.

He stands in place of God!
And anyone standing in place of God before the church, shows the church appointment structure comes from the spirit of antichrist and not God!
Any ideas beyond that front man's paygrade, he simply goes higher up the denominational hierarchy to ask their permission.
If the pastor/vicar/priest/minister is such a servant, then.-
Why do Christians have to ask his permission before speaking or praying?
Why do Christians need permission from a denominational prayer book to pray or sing the right words in church?

Upvote 0

Just Another User

Nov 24, 2018
The United part
✟15,817.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Personally I would say that both of you to a degree are correct.

Clement of Rome, 3rd Bishop of Rome, probable hearer of the Apostle Peter.

I'd just like to say on this point that there wasn't a single bishop of Rome until probably Pope Pius I (Though it might have been as early as Pope Sixtus I but that besides the point). It's very inaccurate to call him 3rd bishop as there was no such hierarchy back then and for Peter and Paul, Bishop and elder were basically the same thing. Even many a Catholic Apologist have begun to recognise this fact now. Secondly I've never seen anyone date his letter in the 80s; usually either in 69AD or the majority view of 95-96AD.

Ignatius, 3rd Bishop of Antioch, hearer of the Apostle John.

“It is necessary, therefore, -and such is your practice, -that you do nothing without the bishop, and that you be subject also to the presbytery, as to the Apostles of Jesus Christ our hope…In like manner let everyone respect the deacons as they would respect Jesus Christ, and just as they respect the bishop as a type of the Father, and the presbyters as the council of God and the college of Apostles. Without these, it cannot be called a Church…anyone who acts without the bishop and the presbytery and the deacons does not have a clean conscience.” Ignatius of Antioch, Letter to the Trallians (AD 110) [/font]

Understanding the context of Ignatius helps here. Gnosticism had really infected the church in the late 1st to early 2nd century. Since practically all bishops had either been appointed by the Apostles themselves or someone appointed by the Apostles it makes complete logical sense to choose the bishop back then. Furthermore, all bishops had a council of elders to keep them in check to stop them from going crazy. Finally the mere act of Ignatius asking for people to listen to the bishop in every single regard (which isn't inherently a bad thing anyway) suggests that it wasn't a common thing to do.

Irenaeus, 2nd Bishop of Lyons

“It is possiblem then, for everyone in every Church, who may wish to know the truth, to contemplate the tradition of the Apostles whcih has been known throughout the whole world. And we are in a position to enumerate those who were instituted bishops by the Apostles, and their successors to our own times: men who neither knew nor taught anything like these heretics rave about. For if the Apostles had known hidden mysteries which they taught to the elite secretly and apart from the rest, they would have handed them down especially to those very ones to whom they were committing the self-same Churches. For surely they wished all those and their successors to be perfect and without reproach, to whom they handed on their authority…It is necessary to obey those who are the presbyters of the Church, those who, as we have shown, have succession from the Apostles; those who have received, with the succession of the epicopate, the sure charism of truth according to the good pleasure of the Father. But the rest, who have no part in the primitive succession and assemble wheresoever they will, must be held in suspicion…For all of these [heretics] are of much later date than are the bishops to whom the Apostles handed over the Churches…” Againt Heresies (inter AD 180/199)

Once again it helps to know the context of what Irenaeus was speaking about. His Against Heresies is well.... against heretics and one of his main arguments was to Apostolic succession. Since he was only one generation attached from an Apostle ( he knew Polycarp who was one of the main guys of John the Apostle and a good friend of Ignatius) the truth was still known. When you play Chinese whispers, it might take a while but eventually the message is going to be distorted. Back then however, since people were only one or two generations away from the Apostles,

I have no interest in your church fathers, given they are the ones responsible for starting all the heresies.

A strongly, strongly disagree but that may be that you've only heard the Church fathers being used by Catholic Apologists. Though by the mid to late 2nd century, every single local church had a bishop, they were also a council of elders and each church was independent of one another. Though the apostolic churches did advise other churches on matters, they had no actual authority to change another local churches mind (though they did usually listened because those churches were usually the best).

There you go again, another heresy, "apostolic succession!"

It's a very misleading argument if used today but back then it made logical sense because the Apostles had only been dead for a few decades and only a generation or two divided from when Against Heresies was written.

Here we go again, "handed over the church"! The church belongs to Christ, but your hierarchical tradition makes it belong to power hungry leaders.

I do believe the church was handed over in respect to earthly governance but of course there's only one head of the church and that's Christ.

There you go again, unauthorised meetings. Who gave these evil self pleasing vainglorious leaders power over the how and when Christians can meet together?

An unauthorized meeting was were inexperienced Christians came together. All you would need is an experienced Christian ( unlikely to even be an elder) for such a meeting to occur. All it did was to stop incorrect opinions growing and that the inexperienced could have guidance. This became more common when local churches began to grow whereas in the past, you might have been able to fit all the local Christians in a couple of rooms.

There are leaders in the church and we shouldn't reject it in respect of being a leader. However, these leaders should be servants. As what Jesus taught in Matthew 23:8-12, all titles were abolished and that the greatest shall be the most humble. Until the 4th century, it would be apt to make the claim that the bishops and elders kept this command and would never been addressed as "Bishop Dave" or "Elder Kevin" because such things would have offended Christ. I guess in the same way that you can be a doctor without being called a doctor. As I said earlier they didn't even have wages and lived very poor lives or lived on what the widows and orphans lived on. Each church was free and weren't controlled by some hierarchy like to Pope or the Archbishop. Before the Gnostic invasion, every single church had multiple bishops who were all equal.

As Tertullian said

"To begin with, it is doubtful who is a catechumen and who a believer. They all have equal access, they all hear as equals, they pray as equals; even heathens, if someone like that happens along."

If they're learning the faith, know the faith or have never even heard it, they're all equal and should be treated as such. In the same way, a bishop or elder is no greater than a common member of the congregation and should be treated equally. The role of bishop and elders should be Shepard and never to elevate their own position in respect to glory or material wealth.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I disagree. Although the focus on Romans 13 is secular authority. We ought not put the Sovereignty of God in a box.
Romans13 clearly shows the focus is entirely and only on secular authority.
Romans 13 says "Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established." When he said "there is no authority except that which God has established", he meant it.
Certainly it was established by God, but as Romans13 states, it was established for earthly government, not the church.
That includes the authorities found in the church.
So you would have the church controlled by this scripture would you? Romans13v4...........But if you do evil, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. Because that's what it means.
Your theology is what caused millions of God fearing Christians to be murdered by church authorities throughout the ages.
It would not be possible for the Pope to gain power if God did not allow it. If God allowed it, then He allowed it for a reason.
God allowed everything when he gave Adam dominion in the Garden of Eden. That does not mean God ordained everything to happen.
The Popes gained power because carnal man demanded it, not because God ordained it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Norman70

Nov 8, 2018
St Philip
✟62,302.00
Country
Barbados
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread has resulted in a fascinating and very informative discussion and I am greatly appreciating all contributions to it. As I have already indicated I think, I do not solely rely on the Bible to help me reach the Word of God, who is Jesus. I read, I write, and I talk, and my reading has involved (not so much nowadays in my old age) philosophy, especially of science, theology and Christian apologetics. I am no where near being an academic, but I do often prefer this sort of reading to reading the Scriptures. I cannot therefore join in at a competent level with the discussion here amongst those who see things differently, but again I must express my appreciation of all that has been said, on both sides, if sides must be taken, which I hope not between us Christians.

Returning to my OP I must emphasise my desire to avoid eristic exchanges. In this type of discussion between Christians there are no winners and losers. We are not in a race. Now this brings me to give a few comments on my views of leadership. These views are not based on knowledge, philosophically nor theologically, but on experience in this life. As Jesus says, we should be in this world but not part of it (somewhere He said it in the Scriptures, I think!?).

My OP attempted to open a discussion on the the viability of Christian Anarchists holding a house meeting. Perhaps I should have said it is a thread only for Christian Anarchists (!) and I have pointed out that there is already a very interesting thread on Christian Anarchism running in the Christian only forum "Discussion and Debate" sub-forum "General Politics". Let me see if I can do a link, I am not yet used to this website!

Christian anarchism

Well, that seems to have worked, so now back to my comments about leadership. I have already said that as a teacher I was trained to divide my class into small discussion groups (no more than six in a group, c.f. Sprott's ideas in his book "Human Groups"). The most successful topic when I used this teaching technique was when I had to instruct 11 to 12 year olds about human reproduction in my science lessons. I said nothing, but I provided them with books and pamphlets on the subject, written for all children up to their age, to read, share and discuss, solely amongst themselves. I never received any complaints from parents, some of them thanked me for tackling the subject at all, and the children learned what they needed to learn for their tests on it. There was no appointed leadership in any group of students, as observer I occasionally swapped individuals between groups if they became too argumentative.

I often say a plumber has authority over me because he knows how to fix a leaky pipe, but he never exercises leadership over me. In general, we need authority, but we do not need leadership, certainly not insitututionalised leadership and preferably not self-appointed leadership. In an anarchist group (small children are ideal anarchists!) such a person would quickly be put in his or her place.
My whole life experience tells me that children do not need leadership in their academic development, therefore, although in science it was not one of my prerogatives, they do not need leadership in their spiritual development. But they do need authority, as we all do, and as the authors express their authorativeness, but not their authoritarianism, we respect that and learn from it. Just as I have done in CF.

My brand of anarchism in school teaching was further developed when I read "Against Method" by Paul Feyerabend. I think he showed clearly in that book that many major progressive developments in science were the result of the famous thinkers and experimentalists working outside of the box, the box of institutional, established, orthodox, acceptable to the scientific community, methodology of science. In my science lessons the children were free to do whatever they liked, within the bounds of physical safety of course, and they still passed their exams. Now as I try to become a more mature Christian, I want only for anyone who wishes to share with me their Christian thoughts to accept that we are all different, and our spiritual relationship with God is entirely our own. I certainly do not need pastors to come between me and Jesus.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I have been in countless house group meetings where by choice and scriptural understanding, there is no leader.
As the householder and host at many of these meetings, I saw it as my responsibility to encourage others to minister to one another, or to me.
Effectively, I was only the co-ordinator or facilitator of the meeting as it was at our house.

I must make it clear however that this can only happen when those meeting are baptised in the Holy Spirit, and ministering from that Spirit.
Without sensitivity to the Holy Spirit, all we are left with is a human intellect debating forum, a religious committee. It might reach common ground, but it won't discover what the Lord is saying.

Here's Paul's description of a meeting of the saints. You will note that there is no leader, and that everyone is expected to participate.
1Cor14v26What then is it, brothers? When you may come together, each has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.
Each one, not just the man at the front!

27If anyone speaks with a tongue, let it be by two or the most three, and in turn; and let one interpret. 28But if there is no interpreter, let him be silent in the church, and let him speak to himself and to God.
29And let two or three prophets speak, and let the others discern. 30But if a revelation should be made to another sitting by, let the first be silent.

There is no thrusting forward of personalities, but space is made for the next man to bring a contribution.

31For you are all able to prophesy one by one, so that all may learn, and all may be exhorted.
All, all, all. There is no place in the church for one man bands, or hierarchy that places one man over another.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Romans13 clearly shows the focus is entirely and only on secular authority.

Certainly it was established by God, but as Romans13 states, it was established for earthly government, not the church.

So you would have the church controlled by this scripture would you? Romans13v4...........But if you do evil, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. Because that's what it means.
Your theology is what caused millions of God fearing Christians to be murdered by church authorities throughout the ages.

God allowed everything when he gave Adam dominion in the Garden of Eden. That does not mean God ordained everything to happen.
The Popes gained power because carnal man demanded it, not because God ordained it.
Let me ask one simple question. Does God have the power to stop church governance? If so, why hasn't he stopped it yet?

Edit: Just realized that I actually asked two questions. LOL

Reactions: Norman70
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Let me ask one simple question. Does God have the power to stop church governance? If so, why hasn't he stopped it yet?

Edit: Just realized that I actually asked two questions. LOL
Yahweh directs Ekklesia in all things, every day.
WHY would HE stop "church governance" ? If He Wants to, whether in a false church or in the true church, of course He can.

Upvote 0