She had a swastika painted on her garage. And she's leaving it there.

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
But don't worry the recent developments that Nazis should receive a punch in the face for their speech will certainly help things, lol.
That's not recent. That was much more popular decades ago, when the average person had lived through the war.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's not recent. That was much more popular decades go, when the average person had lived through the war.

Sure. I mean recent as something that's new to our current times.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You think that Bible verse applies to me? Seriously?

Can you like try to actually understand my perspective.

I hope you're not calling me a gullible rube. I think both of them are bad guys (the violent antifas and those who condone such acts at least).

I'm not for racism. Although I am for free speech, even if they say things most others would find heinous. On top of that, I think it's much more effective to tear down their arguments with words instead of blinding everything with violence. Again, sorry for thinking those who claim to stand against racism and prejudice should act like the bigger person here.

I don't think you're racist or a Nazi. I think you're gullible in the sense that you're so busy contemplating your navel, obsessing over being the "bigger man" that you're failing to notice that Nazis are emboldened in this country. This is how it begins: people assume Nazis are incompetent; they "don't really mean it" and "can be reasoned with" if we just hug them enough and empathize with their position of 'kill[ing] all the Jews" enough.

If you're not a Nazi, you're already the "bigger man". There's no need to worry about that.

The fact that "the left" is so divided and arguing among themselves about whether antifa is OK or not is precisely a way in which they win. If we're going to defeat Richard Spencer types, you have to present a united front against them. You don't reason with a Nazi. You cause them to fear enough to slither back to the hole from which they emerged.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Or, to summarize/put it a slightly different way:

1. Richard Spencer - and his arguments - are not my equal, morally or intellectually, and should not be normalized by treating them as though they are.
2. You don't sit down and have tea with Nazis, politely listening to their arguments for the sake of "hearing them out". You crush their movement before it gains momentum.
3. The fact that I'm even having to say these things to Americans - people whose country is one of several responsible for defeating the original Nazis in the '40s - is a damning indictment of where we are as a country in late October of 2017. It's disgraceful and embarrassing.
Ringo

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think you're racist or a Nazi. I think you're gullible in the sense that you're so busy contemplating your navel, obsessing over being the "bigger man" that you're failing to notice that Nazis are emboldened in this country.

But one of my major points is that I think the actions of some antifa type people are emboldening them. I've already stated that I agree racism is becoming more and more common. Antifa certainly isn't the only factor. Our current incredibly irresponsible president is certainly one too, and an issue that should be talked about. That doesn't mean we should shut down discussion about some of the tactics antifas are employing or rallying behind.

This is how it begins: people assume Nazis are incompetent; they "don't really mean it" and "can be reasoned with" if we just hug them enough and empathize with their position of 'kill[ing] all the Jews" enough.

A lot of them are pretty stupid and incompetent though, lol.

As far as them wanting to kill all Jews, I think it's a mistake to think many of them are genocide wanting maniacs. Many of them make great strains to deny the holocaust at every point. Having a more cartoonish version of them will probably only serve to miss some of their more subtle integration into society.

If you're not a Nazi, you're already the "bigger man". There's no need to worry about that.

What like an inch or two taller? Why not go for more height?

The fact that "the left" is so divided and arguing among themselves about whether antifa is OK or not is precisely a way in which they win. If we're going to defeat Richard Spencer types, you have to present a united front against them. You don't reason with a Nazi. You cause them to fear enough to slither back to the hole from which they emerged.
Ringo

I consider myself on the left and I just don't see how that will ever be an effective method. Just seems like you're inviting a blood bath to happen. Many of them are itching for us to initiate just that.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
2. You don't sit down and have tea with Nazis, politely listening to their arguments for the sake of "hearing them out". You crush their movement before it gains momentum.

It's more up them hearing us out than vice versa. Although to get to that point you do have to be civil with them.

The thing is, maybe talking to them won't defeat them, that doesn't mean option two is going to automatically work.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
A lot of cities have laws requiring property owners to remove graffiti in a timely manner. It's not the best case scenario, but it is one way to keep the graffiti from taking over.
Keep graffiti is a nice sentiment for regular grafitti, but this isn't regular grafitti and needs to be treated like the threat that it is. One of the reasons people leave it up is so the police will actually investigate, which goes to show you the problem here, sometimes the police don't take these threats seriously enough. People shouldn't have to die or get hurt for the police to combat such attacks.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Keep graffiti is a nice sentiment for regular grafitti, but this isn't regular grafitti and needs to be treated like the threat that it is. One of the reasons people leave it up is so the police will actually investigate, which goes to show you the problem here, sometimes the police don't take these threats seriously enough. People shouldn't have to die or get hurt for the police to combat such attacks.

I suppose the police could just go door to door and ask every white person to condemn nazis. That'll root out the culprit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Ever heard of taking a picture for evidence?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Hope they make the vandal pay to have it repainted.
Man Charged With Scrawling Swastika, Slur on Garage: NYPD
It's always good to see them catch the culprit. But at 37 years old, we have to take into account that kids do the darndest things. He should be simply charged with vandalism, let's simply ignore the fact that the motivation for this attack was because the homeowner is Jewish and he was trying to intimidate her.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's more up them hearing us out than vice versa. Although to get to that point you do have to be civil with them.

The thing is, maybe talking to them won't defeat them, that doesn't mean option two is going to automatically work.

I just think it's naive to think that you can sit down and have a conversation with extremists like Nazis. What can be an acceptable middle ground to "I want minorities to go away or be killed so that America is white again"?
Ringo

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I just think it's naive to think that you can sit down and have a conversation with extremists like Nazis. What can be an acceptable middle ground to "I want minorities to go away or be killed so that America is white again"?
Ringo
How about you don't kill them, but you can simply make laws to take away their rights? I mean, at least they're alive, right? It's all about finding that compromise...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,157.00
Faith
Christian

I see it the same way I'd see other criminals or potential criminals - I'm not likely to want to sit down and talk to people who think armed robbery is acceptable either. Put simply, they're wrong and if they graduate to the point of trying it out they're not likely to be rehabilitated and should be chucked in jail

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think anyone is arguing that they're on the rise. The argument is over why.

One factor- the generation that actually encountered Nazis first hand is dying out, so there is less of a visceral reaction on the part of some people to what used to be considered reprehensible.

Upvote 0