✟15,864.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello brethren.

Had a query, and will post this on a few boards to see what folks from different perspectives might say. It’s something that caught my eye, has no bearing on whether or not anybody is a good/true/authentic Christian or not. Just wondering, that’s all. Thank you in advance for your replies.

In the prologue to Revelation (1:1-8) v 4 tells us of the Trinity by referring to each person individually. The Father (the One Who Is and Who Was and Who is Coming); the Holy Spirit (the seven Spirits that are before his throne); and the Son (Jesus Christ). I am interested in this way of speaking of the Holy Spirit.

I know that different interpreters think differently about this passage. I am going along with Brighton. Perhaps it would help if I post the section from Dr. Brighton's commentary "Revelation".

Second, the prophetic message of Revelation comes first of all from “the seven Spirits” (1:4). Because of the number seven, commentators have wondered whether these are seven angels, corresponding to the seven archangels in Jewish tradition (see Enoch 19:1; 20-1-7, where seven archangels are listed and named), or corresponding to the seven angels of the seven churches (and thus also to the seven angels with the trumpets [Rev 8:6-11:19] and censers [Rev 15-16]. Footnote - The Greek commentaries of Oecumenius and Andreas take them to be angelic beings. Among modern commentators who interpret them to be angels, in this case probably the seven archangels, is R.H. Charles and R. Mounce

Against this identification is the fact that “the seven Spirits” (1:4) are on the same level of authority as God the Father and Jesus Christ. If these “Spirits” were angels, they would never be accorded the same status as God and Jesus Christ in Christian theology. (In Reveltion angels are never worshiped, only God; cf. 19:10; 22:8-9.) Rather, these “seven Spirits” are a reference to the Holy Spirit. Footnote - Thus the earliest commentary, that of Victorinus, interpreted them and compared them to the seven gifts of the on Holy Spirit in Isiah 11:2-3. Among modern commenatore who so interpret them are H.B.Swete and G. B. Caird.

In biblical thought, the number seven symbolizes God. It is the sum of the number three, which symbolizes God himself (Gen 18:1-2; Is 6:3), and the number four, which symbolizes creation (Ezek 37:9; 1 Chr 9:24). Seven thus symbolizes the God of creation. Footnote - Among Semitic peoples, the Egyptians, and many others, the number seven was a sacred number.

Because God rested on the seventh day (Gen 2:2-3), the number is also used to picture or refer to perfection, completion, and holiness, especially in reference to God’s activities and creative works.

Here in Rev 1:4 the “seven Spirits” are also a reflection of the seven lamps and seven eyes in Zech 3:9-4:10, where they represent the Spirit of God, by which God sees the whole earth. That is, God is present with his creation through the sevenfold presence of his Spirit. In Is 11:1-2 the sevenfold gifts of the Spirit from God will rest upon the Branch of Jesse, the Messiah. In Rev 5:6 the Lamb has seven horns and seven eyes. And in Moses’ tabernacle there were the menorah, the sevenfold lampstand (Ex 25:31-40), which represented God’s presence with his people by way of his Spirit (Zech 4:2-6). The seven Spirits of Rev 1:4 represent the Holy Spirit in his sevenfold presence. God, by his Spirit, is always present with his people - fully present. Throughout Revelation the number seven represents God’s presence by his Spirit. Thus the church, when represented in Revelation by the seven churches (Rev 2-3), is pictured as always under the Spirit of God. The heavenly hosts worship God by the presence of the seven Spirits before God’s throne (4:5). The Lamb of God, with the seven horns and eyes (5:6), is he on whom the sevenfold Spirit rests (Is 11:1-2). And the exalted Christ, as the Son of Man, stands in the midst of the seven golden lampstands, which represent the church under the lordship of Christ by the Spirit (1:13).

Again, I am interested in this way of speaking of the Holy Spirit. This use of “seven Spirits” in Isiah and Revelations for the Holy Spirit is something I never really noticed before. Later Brighton says “the seven letters indicate that the entire church is under the care of Christ through the sevenfold presence of the Spirit.” And “The complete and holy number seven not only indicates that the seven churches represent all the churches, but it also suggests that all churches and all Christians are under the grace, forgiveness, renewal, guidance, and motivation of God through the sevenfold presence of the Holy Spirit.” Does the Holy Spirit have a sevenfold presence? It would seem that He does. Anyone come across this teaching before?

Pax

eph3Nine

Mid Acts, Pauline, Dispy to the max!
Nov 7, 2005
In the hills of Tennessee
✟5,251.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have NO Idea WHAT you are looking for here, Balaams, but to understand the working of the Holy Spirit today, we must rightly divide Gods Word. How God works in Revelation has NOTHING to do with WE the Body of Christ....as REVELATION is dealing with the nation Israel in ages to Come.

I doubt you will get many bites on this.

Upvote 0

BalaamsAss51

Sep 16, 2005
North Carolina
✟15,864.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
eph3Nine said:
I have NO Idea WHAT you are looking for here, Balaams, but to understand the working of the Holy Spirit today, we must rightly divide Gods Word. How God works in Revelation has NOTHING to do with WE the Body of Christ....as REVELATION is dealing with the nation Israel in ages to Come.

I doubt you will get many bites on this.

Hello eph3nine.

I agree that I will get few responses from my post. It is too long and obviously not clear. I simply want to know if others have been taught/know of this teaching about the Holy Spirit being sevenfold.

We must divide God's Word properly, into Law and Gospel. Revelation was given to the church in order to support us as we encounter struggles in our daily lives as we look forward to our assured place with God in heaven. Spiritual Israel is equivalent to Christians. Todays political state of Israel is what has nothing to do with how God deals with us or how we deal with Him.

Pax

Upvote 0

eph3Nine

Nov 7, 2005
✟5,251.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
BalaamsAss51 said:
Hello eph3nine.

I agree that I will get few responses from my post. It is too long and obviously not clear. I simply want to know if others have been taught/know of this teaching about the Holy Spirit being sevenfold.

We must divide God's Word properly, into Law and Gospel. Revelation was given to the church in order to support us as we encounter struggles in our daily lives as we look forward to our assured place with God in heaven. Spiritual Israel is equivalent to Christians. Todays political state of Israel is what has nothing to do with how God deals with us or how we deal with Him.

Pax

Oh Please do stick around balaams, as there is information here that you need to hear.

We are to divide Gods word as HE divides it. Prophecy and MYSTERY.
Your entire bible is even laid out this way. Eph 2:11, 12, 13 and verse 7 tell us that God has dealt with mankind in times PAST, But NOW, and will do so again in AGES to come.

Times PAST and ages to come have to do with prophecy and the nation Israel/ with an earthly hope and calling.

But NOW has to do with OUR program...something NOT prophesied but HID in God and a SECRET...having to do with the Body of Christ and a heavenly purpose and calling.

Exodus thru Acts = God dealing with an NATION = Times PAST

Romans thru Philemon = God dealing with ALL mankind = But NOW

Hebrews thru Revelation = God dealing with a NATION again= ages to COME

Revelation isnt written to we the Body of Christ...we are LONG gone by this time. Its speaking to ISRAEL in ages to come.

WE are NOT spiritual Israel...we are part of the MYSTERY Information that God kept HID until due time. God interrupted His program with Israel BEFORE it was finished , to usher in a BRAND NEW PROGRAM, WITH BRAND NEW INFORMATION FOR A BRAND NEW CREATION WITH A BRAND NEW APOSTLE.

If you would like a book that shows you all this information that you need to know please let me know and I will send it to you FREE.

How can you cooperate with God if you dont know what program He is in today? You sound like you really want to understand what God is doing and to be a part of it, you MUST find out about the MYSTERY information given specifically TO us and ABOUT us.

It is called "the preaching of Jesus Christ ACCORDING TO THE REVELATION of the MYSTERY..." Romans 16:25

Upvote 0

BalaamsAss51

Sep 16, 2005
North Carolina
✟15,864.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello eph3nine.

I know you are sincere about what you say, so thank you for that.

The mystery is simply Christ. The unveiling of the mystery is the incarnation of Jesus. God has become flesh, disclosed to all mankind in actual fact.

I knew it would be interesting to post on a dispensationalist board.

Pax

Upvote 0

eph3Nine

Nov 7, 2005
✟5,251.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
BalaamsAss51 said:
Hello eph3nine.

I know you are sincere about what you say, so thank you for that.

The mystery is simply Christ. The unveiling of the mystery is the incarnation of Jesus. God has become flesh, disclosed to all mankind in actual fact.

I knew it would be interesting to post on a dispensationalist board.

Pax

God tells us that the MYSTERY was an entire BODY of truth that He gave to ONE apostle and that information is found in Romans thru Philemon. It actually consists of fourteen doctrines NOT FOUND anywhere else in Gods Word.

Without the "preaching of Jesus Christ ACCORDING TO THE REVELATION of the MYSTERY..." Romans 16:25 we would HAVE no :

"BODY OF CHRIST", NO "PRESENT DISPENSATION of GRACE", NO "Gospel of the GRACE OF GOD", NO "Temporary SETTING ASIDE of the Nation Israel", No "Equality of Jew and Gentile", No "One baptism of Eph 4:5", No "new commission to preach the gospel", NO "heavenly position of the believer", No "Christ as the Head of the Body", NO "Coming of Christ in the air for His church", No "Judgement seat of Christ", No "different ministry of the Holy Spirit", and No "full and complete revelation"

Thats alot of stuff that wouldnt even be IN the bible if it wasn't for God giving to Paul a NEW message, for a NEW CREATION, for a NEW program never before given to anyone.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.