What is Communion or Fellowship in the Spirit?

65James

Feb 18, 2024
Minnesota
✟7,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen
II Corinthians 13:14

Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy,
Philippians 2:1

So are Communion and Fellowship the same? Was this how the Apostles ministered to the Lord (Acts 13:2)? Is this some how a form of being social and exhorting others in the Church (Philippians 2:3-4; Hebrews 10:25)? And most of all is or why is it not, practice in the Church today?

Reactions: Bethlehem57

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen
II Corinthians 13:14

Therefore if there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and mercy,
Philippians 2:1

So are Communion and Fellowship the same? Was this how the Apostles ministered to the Lord (Acts 13:2)? Is this some how a form of being social and exhorting others in the Church (Philippians 2:3-4; Hebrews 10:25)? And most of all is or why is it not, practice in the Church today?

It comes from the Greek koinonia. It literally means sharing or to share. But it also connotates community. Perhaps the best way to read it is may the Holy Spirit reside among you all, meaning may the Holy Spirit be among you.

Reactions: 65James
Upvote 0

65James

Feb 18, 2024
Minnesota
✟7,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It comes from the Greek koinonia. It literally means sharing or to share. But it also connotates community. Perhaps the best way to read it is may the Holy Spirit reside among you all, meaning may the Holy Spirit be among you.
So do you think this community might have something to do with the tongue? No i am not Pentecostal but James 3, speaks of man not being able to tame the tongue. But James 1:27 calls our religion vain if we don’t.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So do you think this community might have something to do with the tongue? No i am not Pentecostal but James 3, speaks of man not being able to tame the tongue. But James 1:27 calls our religion vain if we don’t.

To "tame the tongue" means to learn how to shut up. :) James goes on about talking too much. The meaning is that people oftentimes talk too much and it leads them to say things they might not mean. Paul refers to some women as "whisperers", meaning gossips. Gossiping about others isn't necessarily a sin, but is an unrighteousness.

Reactions: 65James
Upvote 0

65James

Feb 18, 2024
Minnesota
✟7,227.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Gossip, that is so obvious yet I honestly never thought of it, thanks. But keeping my mouth shut sound very wise as especially during emotional pain my old man will flare up so I start cussing which I rarely do. About ten days ago talking to my brother and shock him with words he has seldom or never heard come out of mouth.

Upvote 0