SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,942.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I am discussing reality as an absolute - not our perception of it.
'Reality as an absolute', is your belief .. and it takes a mind to conceive a belief and is never independent from one.

Let me know when you can simply 'check your mind in at the door' and abandon it will you? (And when you do that, you'll be using your mind to tell me about it).

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I believe God stunted the growth of science at the Tower of Babel, since technology was growing too rapidly.

Genesis 11:5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
Human knowledge and computing speeds double every 12-24 mos.

Your move LORD.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thesedays, I'm sure that if someone says it enough times, someone will believe it though .. :rolleyes:
That's the scary part. Before you know it, people might believe the Jews are starting wildfires with space lasers!

• Haha
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,942.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
That's the scary part. Before you know it, people might believe the Jews are starting wildfires with space lasers!
Undistinguised beliefs .. all of them .. are the true enemy .. and are to be discouraged, (IMHO).
There is no need for any '-isms' there, (including: 'Human-ism' or 'Athe-ism', etc).

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,942.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
So?

God stunted that doubling cube at the Tower of Babel.
Do you think the Tower of Babel recount, demonstrates that the languages we use are our own .. and not God's? AIUI, people were talking amongst themselves before God got angry or something(?)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you think the Tower of Babel recount, demonstrates that the languages we use are our own .. and not God's?
Genesis 11:1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.

In my opinion, that language was Jacobean English that was spoken.

I can't prove it, of course; but I can speculate.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,942.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 11:1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.

In my opinion, that language was Jacobean English that was spoken.

I can't prove it, of course; but I can speculate.
You didn't answer my question:
'Do you think the Tower of Babel recount, demonstrates that the languages we use are our own .. and not God's?'
YES .. or .. NO?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You didn't answer my question:
'Do you think the Tower of Babel recount, demonstrates that the languages we use are our own .. and not God's?'
YES .. or .. NO?
I guess I don't understand your question?

God's language, in my opinion, is Jacobean English.

Recounting the Tower of Babel has nothing to do with what we speak today.

The language "we" (I assume you meant "me") use today is American English, which didn't exist, until [whenever] it showed up.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Except the whole of human knowledge has grown just as expected.
You mean as predicted?

Daniel 12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.
HitchSlap said:
It's almost like the babel tower is mythical.
Had technological growth not been stunted for awhile, they would have had the A-bomb in David's time.

Of course, I'm be facetious, but hopefully it's to make the point that the growth of science had to be checked for awhile.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You mean as predicted?

Daniel 12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.Had technological growth not been stunted for awhile, they would have had the A-bomb in David's time.

Of course, I'm be facetious, but hopefully it's to make the point that the growth of science had to be checked for awhile.
Suggesting "David" would have an atom bomb is no less believable as the babel myth. Don't ever forget, AV, with gods, all things are possible.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Don't ever forget, AV, with gods, all things are possible.
That's what the Egyptians thought at one time, until ...

Exodus 12:12b ... and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi.

Some see me as anti-science, so I thought I would set the record straight.

Since I do a lot of discussion that is insulting to science, I'll show the positive side of what I think.

I think God gifts us scientists for two major reasons:

1. To seek out and find "Easter eggs" that He embedded in the earth at creation.

My favorite example is the discovery of oil. God embedded oil in the earth during the Creation Week, to be discovered when the right time came. Other discoveries, such as minerals and whatnot make our lives better and keep technology moving forward.​

2. To keep religion in check and make sure certain beliefs (religious or otherwise) get nullified.

Alchemy, flat earth, geocentrism, and Phlogiston come to mind here as good examples.​

3. Science pursued to its ultimate end will lead to God.

As long as science keeps asking questions with an open mind, it will eventually find the ultimate Truth. Kind of a long way to go about it, but we get a lot of cool Easter Eggs in the process!
4. Science can be fun!

Especially for those who are using it to further God's will.​

It's when science goes up against the Bible, that I have an issue with it.

Note: Credit to Jacks, my Brother In Christ, for points 3 and 4. :oldthumbsup:

Can anyone else think of a way that science is a blessing in our lives by serving God's purposes?
Science reveals Gods mysteries in creation. Just amazing!!

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,009.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
6 And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
Sounds like God was a little afraid of his Human creation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.